1.    #1  
    anyone seen this device? Looks very nice. very thin.

There is a new Pocket PC phone in town - the UBiQUiO 501 from Tech Faith Wireless boasts user-friendly features such as a 2.5" QVGA touchscreen for easy navigation, Bluetoot 1.2 A2DP, 802.11b/g connectivity, as well as a 2 megapixel camera that takes pretty decent candid pictures. The 64MB of internal storage will definitely be insufficient for today's needs, hence the presence of a miniSD memory card slot. This handset can also connect to the Internet via GSM/GPRS 900/1800/1900 MHz networks. Unfortunately, there is no EDGE or GSM 850 MHz support. The UBiQUiO 501 will retail for 319.95.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    they load this up with great features like BT1.2 w/ A2DP, 802.11b/g and a 2 MP camera and they leave out EDGE and the quad-band GSM!? That's a shame. Keyboard doesn't look very user-friendly either.
    What impresses me most about this device is how thin it is. Unless I've missed something, the other devices using this thin candy bar form factor have been WM smartphone (or whatever it's called) without a touchscreen. Everything with a touchscreen is quite a bit thicker. Good news for Treo form factor fans who'd like to see it slimmed down a bit. I would expect battery issues with something that small though ....
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNov View Post
    Good news for Treo form factor fans who'd like to see it slimmed down a bit. I would expect battery issues with something that small though ....
    Agree about the form factor. In that respect, it's just about the only device I actually like the look of more than the Treo. Battery is said to be 1250 mAh:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=140098&tab=1

Much less than the current Treos but not a complete disaster. To my mind, what is more of a shame is the lack of 3G. Processor is a bit slow too.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Looks a lot better than the Motorola Q and only marginally bigger too
    no evdo nor edge? looks like a complete failure to me
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Looks a lot better than the Motorola Q and only marginally bigger too
    True, but it does have a touch screen and hence a stylus giving it a big advantage over the Q. It runs Pocket PC instead of SmartPhone software. Hopefully the other concerns will be addressed in a later release, or perhaps even by some other company. The form factor is very appealing.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Anyone figure out how to pronnounce it yet?

For a device that has computer generated image only, I am impressed that it has showed up on Expansys already.
    You-bick-que-o seems about right.

Are you happier with these pictures?

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 08/24/2006 at 03:25 PM.
    "You-WHAT?" I think "Wii" is easier.

Anyhoo I want vertical QVGA screen not horizontal ones.
    Funny how there are so many 'close but no cigar' devices. It isn't hard to know what is desired by the people with wallets (these people are called customers). It is apparently hard to give them what they want.
    Can't edit previous post because I'm on the Treo lightweight TC.

For those of us on T-Mobile, do we suffer unduly by not having the 850 band? T-Mo is on 1900m right? So we just lose 850 roaming on Cingular.

Is my absolute requirement of a quad band phone misplaced?
    Last edited by KevMeister; 05/05/2007 at 01:08 AM.