1.    #1  
    Itís time to finally upgrade from my CDMA Treo 600. I think I bought it the day it came out and it has served me well ever since. If the Nitro supported 3G, Iíd buy it immediately. Alas, itís not likely to do so. Instead, Iím choosing between these three phones, and though much of the information is available all over the net, some of it isnít and I havenít seen a comparison yet. Iíve read most of the threads here and elsewhere on each of these phones, so Iíd prefer if you didnít provide links. Part of this is for me, but I think a self-contained thread comparing these phones is worthwhile for everyone else too.

Iím hoping those that use these phones can chime in on the following issues. I realize the Lennon hasnít even been released yet. For software issues, I imagine it will be similar to the TyTn since they share an OS.

UMTS/HSDPA support. Lennon and TyTn support 1900/2100 UMTS and HSDPA, is that correct? What about the e61? What exactly is the difference in terms of speed? I understand the e61 will only work on European 3G networks and not in the states. Is that true for Lennon and TyTn too? I will need it to be interoperable between Europe (orange) and the US. While Iím at it, can a 2G contract SIM card be used in an unlocked version of these phones? I understand I will not be able to use 3G services in that case.

Mac Syncing: I know a symbian isync plugin exists. How does it compare to the Missing Sync for WM?

e-mail support: can I get pop access to gmail with included e-mail clients? Which client is better, Symbian or WM? Do I get native attachment support including Word, Excel, and PDF?

Skype support: recent news says that the company responsible for Skypeís codec is releasing Symbian support. Will the e61ís processor be able to handle it? How does the TyTn hold up? How is the Lennon expected to compare based on its processor and OS?

Mp3/media support: Iím used to ptunes. How do the WM and Symbian programs match up? Can I stream from shoutcast? Can I play audible books?

Web Browsing: How do the browsers compare? Can you browse while making a phone call?

Single Handed Operation: what do you think? Iím coming from a T600, will I be going up or down with these models? I know Palm has played with the WM OS for the 700w model, should I expect the same for the Lennon?

SplashID replacement: I live by this program to store my UIDs and PWs. What can I use in its place?

Bluetooth support: I would like to use Bluetooth occasionally as a wireless modem and regularly to listen to mp3s and make phone calls. Do any of these have the A2DP profile? How is the audio regardless?

3rd Party Software: Does more software exist for Symbian or WM? If less for Symbian, will I even need 3rd Party Software or is the base install complete?

Price/Quality trade-off: The unlocked e61 seems a lot cheaper than the TyTn and the likely price point for the Lennon. Any thoughts?

General Usability: Any thoughts?
    The Tytn and 750 have support for both NA and Europe 3G GSM network. The E61 (is this the wifi or wifiless version). I get a feeling the new PalmOS GSM Treo will support both too, I mean otherwise why buy it over the Treo 650.

Regarding Skype, there is an official client coming out. Check iSkoot.com. Basically you use a java client to see you Skype contact and make calls. It works on Moto and a couple Nokia phone for now.

I see no advantage of the E61 over something say the GSM Q, and you know its coming out.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy
    UMTS/HSDPA support. Lennon and TyTN support 1900/2100 UMTS and HSDPA, is that correct? What about the E61? What exactly is the difference in terms of speed? I understand the E61 will only work on European 3G networks and not in the states. Is that true for Lennon and TyTN too? I will need it to be interoperable between Europe (orange) and the US. While Iím at it, can a 2G contract SIM card be used in an unlocked version of these phones? I understand I will not be able to use 3G services in that case.

The Tytn uses the UMTS frequencies they use all over the world; We dont know if Lennon will do the same or come in 2 localized versions. The E61 uses frequencies only used in Europe, and the localized E62 will not have WIFI. On Howards forum some-one with a Tytn on Cingular said:

I used the 2wire.com speed meter on my TyTN and did 4 separate tests. Here are the results in order:

2.04 Mbps
    608 Kbps
    1.26 Mbps
    2.04 Mbps

I think I like 3G
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=131

Skype support: recent news says that the company responsible for Skypeís codec is releasing Symbian support. Will the e61ís processor be able to handle it? How does the TyTn hold up? How is the Lennon expected to compare based on its processor and OS?

The TyTn has a 400 Mhz processor. The Lennon has a 312 Mhz processor. The E61 has a 206 Mhz processor. Skype will work well on the Tytn, OK on the Lennon, and of course does not exists on the E61. Of note is that people were able to overclock the HTC Wizard's to get acceptable performance on the same 206 Mhz processor.

Web Browsing: How do the browsers compare? Can you browse while making a phone call?

The browser in the E61 is apparently very good. The Tytn allows you to use a wide variety of browsers, built-in and third party. These include Pocket IE, Opera Mobile, Netfront 3.3 and Minimo. The 240x240 resolution of the Lennon will increase your scrolling some.

Single Handed Operation: what do you think? Iím coming from a T600, will I be going up or down with these models? I know Palm has played with the WM OS for the 700w model, should I expect the same for the Lennon?

The E61's menus are apparently very deep and convoluted. I now have a HP 6915, and I am impressed with the one-handed ability of the OS. The HP has a flip screen cover, and one can forget its even closed. The Tytn has soft keys, ok and start keys on the front, plus a scroll wheel, so one handed should be OK, but the Lennon with the front-mounted keybaord is probably a lot better. Here are some people talking about Symbian vs the Tytn.
    http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=127261

SplashID replacement: I live by this program to store my UIDs and PWs. What can I use in its place?

SplashID is availabe on PalmOS, Symbian and Windows Mobile.

http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/purchase.htm

Bluetooth support: I would like to use Bluetooth occasionally as a wireless modem and regularly to listen to mp3s and make phone calls. Do any of these have the A2DP profile? How is the audio regardless?

The Tytn has A2DP, I doubt the lennon will, and the E61 has not. On the other hand, the profiles the E61 has probably work very well and are probably very full features, vs the half-hearted bluetooth support under WM5.

3rd Party Software: Does more software exist for Symbian or WM? If less for Symbian, will I even need 3rd Party Software or is the base install complete?

Symbian has much less software than POS or WM5. Also all old symbian software are now incompatible with the E61, due to a new OS. Also all software needs to be digitally signed (to prevent visusses) so this will probably inhibit smaller developers and OS hacking.

Price/Quality trade-off: The unlocked E61 seems a lot cheaper than the TyTN and the likely price point for the Lennon. Any thoughts?

The Tytn is much more full featured than the other devices. One can at least account for where the money has gone. The E61 does not even have a camera.

General Usability: Any thoughts?
    The Lennon and E61 probably has better usability, due to the form factor.

BTW, there is no reason to believe the POS Nitro has UMTS or HSDPA. There is a lot of reason to believe it will be cheap and cheerful.

Surur
  4.    #4  
    surur, thanks. As always, your posts are very helpful.