Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Its the Sony Ericsson P990

Don't believe me?

From all the Specs everyone wanted in thier "FUTURE" treo, Sony-Ericsson listened and will give you:

- GSM Triband 900/1800/1900 and UMTS
    - WiFi 802.11b
    - Bluetooth 2.0
    - 2 megapixel camera with autofocus and flashlight
    - Card Scanner
    - Camera dictionary (point to a word in the paper, click, and you have the meaning)
    - 2.8″ (same diagonal size as its predecessors) 320x240 pixel 262k color touchscreen.
    - Front camera for videocalls
    - video is vga 30fps!
    - Radio FM with RDS (that came as a surprise)
    - 80mb user internal memory and 64mb Memory Stick Duo supplied with 11 prepaid programs installed in it
    - Memory Stick PRO Duo slot (cards available up to 4gb so far)
    - Flight mode lets you turn on WiFi
    - Media player supports playlists and streaming
    - RIM Blackberry
    - Activity menu
    - Highly customizable themes (animated icons, skins, transparent .PNG’s)-
    - Java MIPD 2.0 and Java 3D
    - Integrated handsfree
    - New side music, volume, "back" keys and lock screen/keypad S700-style slider key
    - 114 x 57 x 25 mm weighing 155grams with the flip attached
    - FULL QWERTY
    - Removable numbers flip (for easiers usage as phone)
    - built in Arabic support (You may not care, but multilanguage adaptations are free and fully supported. Great news for anyone who doesn't primarly speak Anglaise)
    - Word, Excel, PP, & PDF
    - MP3 ringtones & caller pictures without extra programs
    - In case you’ve declined an incoming call, the phone offers you to create a reminder of the missed call and a corresponding event. And at that it automatically fills in “Name” and “Number” fields
    - Reject SMS. You can make up an SMS template, that will be sent to the caller after you decline his call. A very useful feature – in order to send the message just presses the middle key and accept delivery.
    - Ability to Sync with Outlook & iTunes

Not only that, it comes in a form factor that most Treo owners said they want, a bar, with no antenna.
    The front QWERTY key pad should make Treo owners jump right in.
    The QWERTY board is covered by a flip to make it look phone like. However, this flip is removable as I said if you want it to look like a Treo again!

With Palm quite stagnant, and I need proper updated phones to Sync with Outlook 2007 and stuff, moving to a company that updates firmware, installs language options and fix bugs withing an acceptable time frame is a must.
    Plam is unfortunatly not doing this anymore.
    Not to mention the barrage of programs from developers who will support a strong OS (Symbian 90, UIQ3) as opposed to one that will probably end with the 700p and gets no updates (POS5)

Here are more pictures

I reallly like this company. I remember when the P800 first came out and everyone wanted a keyboard and a lot of people offered suggestions as to where the keyboard could fit, and Sony Ericsson actually listened to them... The only thing I don't like about this device is the Symbian OS, if that thing was a Palm, I'd buy it in a heartbeat...

EDIT

Oh and the lack of GSM 850 and the exclusion of an SD slot and embedding a MemoryStick Duo slot is also a minus...

1.) Need quad-band GMS & tri-band UMTS for U.S. You will be limited on this device on Cingular for GSM and you won't be able to use UMTS in the U.S. on it at all.
    2.) Memory stick slot! Please!
    3.) No d-pad when using keyboard!
    4.) Very poor one-handed use with the keypad flip down.

I've had the P800 and P900 in the past. But unfortunately this device doesn't do anything for me at all. A year ago it would have been interesting but now it's not.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    1.) Need quad-band GMS & tri-band UMTS for U.S. You will be limited on this device on Cingular for GSM and you won't be able to use UMTS in the U.S. on it at all.
    There will be a dedicated US version. thats the EU & ME version specs. Fine with me as I'm in Bahrain

2.) Memory stick slot! Please!
    Its a propetory Sony invention. Do you think they will support someone else's invention?
    I prefer SD myself, but asking a company to not support its products is too much. I'll be fine.

3.) No d-pad when using keyboard!
    keep the flip up, it has a keyboard. if your typing, then you are using two hands, at which point you can draw out the stylus.

4.) Very poor one-handed use with the keypad flip down.
    Then keep it up!

Seriously, these "problems" are not important to me as they pale in comparision with the failiure of my treo to sync with my company's exchange server or the amount of unread messages & e-mails because they come in Arabic & Palm does not support it. I would very happily pick up a stylus every now and then if it meant compatability, bug fixes, updates and a growing & large program library.
    If there will be a US version as mentioned, I may consider jumping ship, I still have my doubts about the Memory Stick thing though... and I don't know if I can come off a nine year Palm OS binge and dive straight into a Symbian device...

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    It looks great but will you ever be able to buy it! Sony announced it in October last year and keep pushing back the release date. It was meant to be available in the UK a few days ago but yet again the date changed.
    Nice try. But the Tytn (god I hate the name) is already out with reported 600kb/s download speed in New York. This is still Vaporware with last generation slow *** radio. It was 'announced' early but just like P50 and the HP 69xx, all talk and no action.

If I want sh1tty memory card slot, I would go with one of the HTC phones.
    Just a note that the HP 6915 is very real, works very well, and is in my wife's coat pocket at the moment (no way can I use a 240x240 screen. VGA all the way).

Surur
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    The problem I always had with UIQ is the total lack of good 3rd party software. At first you will tell yourself, you don't need it. But, after the initial couple week period wears off, you will miss all the apps that wm5 and even the palm os offer.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I like this phone, but it is just too expensive. The price would come down if at least one US carrier offer subsidy for it.
  11.    #11  
    Fakhro, the SE dealer in Bahrain says the phone is out already and they are just waiting for the shipment to reach Bahrain. Which is either end of the month or next month 15th.
    The price they say is around 300 Bahraini Dinars (divide that by 0.378 to get USD).
    Price is too much, because its new and hot.
    It'll come down soon enough.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I would like to install the OS of my choice on a phone.
    This phone has killer specifications, as I mentioned in a previous discussion in these forums.

The specs certainly make it the most desirable phone in the market today. Notice that they didn't dilute the device to "compete" with the Q (or some such thing which Palm is trying to do).

If only it was not a Sony... and if only the new Palm phones aimed at these specs. It would be very interesting to compare the evolution of the SE 9xx series with that of the Treo xxx.

If you ask me, Palm is not even trying.
    This phones direct competitor is the HTC Tytn.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    This phone has killer specifications, as I mentioned in a previous discussion in these forums.

The specs certainly make it the most desirable phone in the market today. Notice that they didn't dilute the device to "compete" with the Q (or some such thing which Palm is trying to do).

If only it was not a Sony... and if only the new Palm phones aimed at these specs. It would be very interesting to compare the evolution of the SE 9xx series with that of the Treo xxx.

If you ask me, Palm is not even trying.
    If Palm aimed at these specs it would be great, but at a cost...mediocre 700p was already almost 700 bucks.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I'm definitely holding out for the US version of this phone. For now, Palm is dead to me.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    I like the flip-down feature -- you can go QWERTY or you can go normal phone. That's cool.
    I have played with every previous version of this thing, and they were all LAME.
    Here is a lengthy thre part review from October of 2005. It is from europe and some of the phrases are odd, but it is pretty detailed.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-p990-en.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    If Palm aimed at these specs it would be great, but at a cost...mediocre 700p was already almost 700 bucks.
    Actually, my suspicion is, the actual cost of manufacturing these devices is less than USD 100. The other things to add to this include development costs, subsidies (Cingular, Verizon, etc...), licensing costs, promos and advertisements etc... Which would not be more than another USD 100 to 200 (200 x 1m devices = 200million!, is that what Palm spends on these things? Gotta see their annual report.). The rest is profits.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast