Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    If this comes out as a quad band I'll give it a try.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13
    I have played with every previous version of this thing, and they were all LAME.
    <--- You apparently haven't played with this version. This keyboard is way easy to use.
    I hate all kinds of flips, and without the flip, this unit has no d-pad and no number keys. At least a flip that fit flush instead of poking out wouldn't be so bad. No sale. For all its flaws, the only reason the Treo is alive is that it is MILES ahead of EVERYTHING in form factor and keyboard design. Often imitated, not yet duplicated. This device: close but no cigar.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    <--- You apparently haven't played with this version. This keyboard is way easy to use.

No I did, it still was nothing next to the average PPC or even palm... The OS itself feels bad. Is it symbian based?
    It is based on Symbian OS 9.1/UIQ 3.0.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Sony Ericsson owns Symbian (in part), of course it's Symbian based....

I agree 100%. I've had the P800 and P900 in the past and I hate flips and other "transformer" form factors. They are always compromises in that you can some some things in one mode and some things in other modes.

For example on the P900, when the flip was up you could only run some apps not all. And the apps you could run, ran in a "dumb-phone" phone that most non-smartphones were better at. Then if you opened the flip to get full functionality you lost one-handed access and you were REQUIRED to use the stylus for most functions.

You can't really judge fully these kinds of devices from specs. You need to use and live with them for awhile. In the past couples of months I've used the GSM Treo 650, Verizon Treo 700p, Motorola Q, Nokia E61, and HTC TyTN. I keep coming back to the Treo despite it's occasional warts because it WORKS better than anything else so far as a converged device (at least for my needs).

If someone finds the P990 meets their needs then great. But I find this kind of device a huge comprise that the Treo just works better than.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e
    I hate all kinds of flips, and without the flip, this unit has no d-pad and no number keys. At least a flip that fit flush instead of poking out wouldn't be so bad. No sale. For all its flaws, the only reason the Treo is alive is that it is MILES ahead of EVERYTHING in form factor and keyboard design. Often imitated, not yet duplicated. This device: close but no cigar.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Beautiful looking device.

I'm not interested in the OS only because there are so many apps that are not supported yet. However RIM Blackberry does interest me.
  9.    #29  
    I need something that syncs correctly
    and want something with that specs (2mp camera, bluetooth, wifi, etc)
    Not to metion on a world wide market, people do not knowwhat palm is.
    in Bahrain, there are no dealers for Palm. Nor ads, support, nothing.
    I am the only one I know who used it because It was good.
    now, I guess I should benefit from a company that releases products to me, in my language, before the rest of the world and promises to stand by me.

Yes, Palm was or is Better.
    So was Betamax.

no support or attention, no sale for me.

Theres an Arabic song thats says: "Who ever shuns us, we will shun. even if they were precious"
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    SonyEricsson really do know how to make a good looking product. I wonder if this one actually works though...

My P900/P910 experience was horrible. Text input was difficult, battery life was short (and I wasn't a heavy user then), the PIM applications were just pointless, and web browsing on that thing redefined mediocre.

I sold it and bought a Treo 600 and was very happy that I did. I suggest staying away form this thing for one reason. I just don't think that the OS is up for the challenge. Maybe I need to try one of the newer ones to know for sure but I really don't want to at his point.

Maybe it will be an alternative for people who don't really know what they want to do with a smartphone yet, but it surely does not compete with the Treos, and certainly not with most WM5 phones either!
    The sad thing is how many of us are seriously looking for alternatives to palm. damn shame. it didn't have to be that way. I just paid full price for my 700 p recently. So I am holding onto to it for at least a year. The landscape will be different all arounf in the summer of 2007 when I am ready to jump ship. But more power to the folks who go for this one. I have a love/hate relationship with sony myself. I love their stuff but really hate how they try to lock you in to their own proprietary stuff like atrac or memory sticks. But that didn't stop me from betting my ux 180p. Too hard to resist despite the memory stick on it. Palm does seem to be dying though....a long drawn out painful mellodramatic Spanish "novela" type death...
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    I need something that syncs correctly
    and want something with that specs (2mp camera, bluetooth, wifi, etc)
    Not to metion on a world wide market, people do not knowwhat palm is.
    in Bahrain, there are no dealers for Palm. Nor ads, support, nothing.
    I am the only one I know who used it because It was good.
    now, I guess I should benefit from a company that releases products to me, in my language, before the rest of the world and promises to stand by me.

Yes, Palm was or is Better.
    So was Betamax.

no support or attention, no sale for me.

Theres an Arabic song thats says: "Who ever shuns us, we will shun. even if they were precious"
    No offense, I didn't know where Bahrain is. I had to check CIA fact book. Does it make me a bad person?

If Sony has the goods, it will release in a big market. Remember Moto mpx300? It was only released in Malaysia.

But if Symbian has better local language support, then by all means use it. PalmOS has pretty decent simplified/traditional Chinese support, its Hong Kong version also came with CJKOS and hand writing recognition software.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    No offense, I didn't know where Bahrain is. I had to check CIA fact book. Does it make me a bad person?
    Yes, Bad in Geogrophy!

None taken my friend.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Now shown as coming soon on Orange in the UK.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...n_p990i/detail

Probably next month according to my local Orange Store.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Give me a CDMA version of the Nokia 9300 phone!!!!! It's not totally a flip, and while I do use the keyboard a bunch, having a numbers pad right there would work great too. I'm jealous of this phone.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Doh! Must resist the shiny new device.........

It's so available though! http://www.expansys.com/bundle.asp?code=126791
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    I like it, but I dont like the idea of the flip down number keyboard. I'd be afraid of breaking it off. I would like it a lot better if the two keyboards were integrated into one (like the treos)
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    You better buy an atlas .We are not even remotely thinking of invading that country?
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual View Post
    You better buy an atlas .We are not even remotely thinking of invading that country?
    It's not election year yet.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's so available though!
    And only 11 months after it was announced
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12