Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm interested in the TyTN when it comes out in the US. I saw from an earlier thread that the phone is out on ebay, but is expensive. Are there any early adopters out there that can share their experience?
    TIA
    Although not the best answer, check out this subforum at howardforums

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

quite a few users here are users there...and as well quite a few people there are using the TyTN in Canada and the US

Sidenote: If you want to buy one, go through MMB aka MadMonkeyBoy, he is awesome to the max...but for me as a Canuck I will go through superiorgadgets...both are stellar sellers and you shant be disappointed by their service
    There are couple of useful threads in this forum at xda-developers, mostly posts from with people reporting experiences with the Vodafone version (v1605):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...d29076d9823325
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for all the help!!!!!
    I went to:
    http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomparer

.. and I compared the TyTn to the HTC Apache (what I currently have) and I really don't see much of a difference.

- different sd card size
    - Bigger camer (who cares)
    - not much else.

I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13
    I went to:
    http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomparer

.. and I compared the TyTn to the HTC Apache (what I currently have) and I really don't see much of a difference.

- different sd card size
    - Bigger camer (who cares)
    - not much else.

I don't get it.
    The TyTN is the first HSDPA PDA (the first 3G PDA for GSM users) which is a very big deal for GSM users. The Apache is for EVDO (CDMA users.) It's the GSM successor to the KJAM / Cingular 8125 / MDA Wizard.
    But yeah, other than the fact that the Apache is for CDMA 3G networks and the TyTn is for GSM 3G networks, it's not a lot different.

A couple other subtle and relatively insignificant upgrades to the TyTn:
    802.11g, USB 2.0 (according to PDA compare.)

The TyTn is expected to come in a Cingular branded version later this year, but as of right now, importing a TyTn (at a premium) is the only way to get it. The way I understand it, there is no intention to sell this device in the US. So imports only, or wait for a Cingular version.
    I'm impatiently waiting for a subsidized Cingular version.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I confess, I got one today to try out. I'm not able to get it to work with my MacBook Pro via bluetooth DUN yet (My primary driving reason for trying this).

My two hour impressions so far:

1.) Very fast internet, faster than my Verizon Treo 700p
    2.) Normal, crappy WM5 software
    3.) You need to run a wireless modem app to try to get DUN working (unlike the Treo)
    4.) Average screen, not as bright or clear as the 700p
    5.) World's worst designed D-pad
    6.) Not very good keyboard (in my opinion). Could be a matter of using it more but I think the Treo keyboard is better myself.
    7.) Soft volume at the earpiece even when full up. The Treo 700p is MUCH louder.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I confess, I got one today to try out. I'm not able to get it to work with my MacBook Pro via bluetooth DUN yet (My primary driving reason for trying this).
    Thanks for the first impressions.

5.) World's worst designed D-pad
    Because it's flat? It struck me as a mistake when I first saw pics of it.

6.) Not very good keyboard (in my opinion). Could be a matter of using it more but I think the Treo keyboard is better myself.
    Keyboard seems to be a common complaint:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=57130

7.) Soft volume at the earpiece even when full up. The Treo 700p is MUCH louder.
    Usable or not?
    D-pad is flat and crammed in with other buttons right at the bottom. How you are supposed to press this and not the other buttons by mistake is beyond me. So far, I've had to use my fingernail.

Can't tell yet on earpiece volume. Inside a house it's OK, but outside with noise is likely to be a big problem.

Internet speed is impressive. It's clearly got HSPDA support on top of UMTS. I get between 700 and 900 kbit/sec. My DSL line at home just gave me a result of 953 kbit/sec.

Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Thanks for the first impressions.

Because it's flat? It struck me as a mistake when I first saw pics of it.

Keyboard seems to be a common complaint:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=57130

Usable or not?
    D-pad is flat and crammed in with other buttons right at the bottom. How you are supposed to press this and not the other buttons by mistake is beyond me. So far, I've had to use my fingernail.
    Sounds like a disaster. This is just the sort of thing that would bug the hell out of me. The jog wheel must compensate a bit though?

Internet speed is impressive. It's clearly got HSPDA support on top of UMTS. I get between 700 and 900 kbit/sec.
    Nice!
    The D-Pad thing is killing it for me. And the volume level? One of the whole reasons I want a new phone is because the Treo isn't loud enough without volume care. Ugh, I want so much to like this phone.
    Here to hoping there will be some marginal improvement to these things when/if Cingular gets their version out. But I'm not holding my breath.
    If the Treo isn't loud enough for you, then forget the TyTN, it might be as loud as the unlocked GSM Treo 650, but it's not as loud as the Treo 700p.

I figured out the Wifi can handle WEP and WPA encryption but it can't handle WPA2 encryption, that was preventing it from working on my network.

Still can't get the wireless modem option to work although other are saying they have it working.

Took in out in the sunlight. Man! You can only very very faintly see the screen in sunlight, the Treo 650 and 700 are worlds better than this thing! So far the data speed is great but everything else about it I'm not liking very much.
    Kinda strange to me that HTC at this point could screw up such simple things, I mean they have been cranking out great equipment for years. How does the TyTn compare to the apache as far as volume and D-pad?
    Thank you for helping me save several hundred dollars. I will stick with my 650 a bit longer. I had the MDA for a while and thought that the TyTN would be the turning point but apparently not, based on reports like this.
    Keep in mind that these are just my options. The two things that have really surprised me are the screen outdoors and the d-pad. I was worried based the photos, but the d-pad is just so flat and in so tight with other buttons that it's really a pain. The buttons next to it are also multi-function so pressing the top or bottom of the button does different things. It's workable but you have to slow and precise to get what you want.

The screen is OK indoors, but just completely unusable in sunlight. I'm really shocked that any company has a screen that doesn't seem to be reflective or transflective today.

But the 3G speed on Cingular is very very impressive. Definitely faster than Verizon and it seems like lower latency. But my main use for that is as a wireless modem and after three days of trying I still can't get that to work despite using settings other say work.

But after trying recently the Nokia E61 and the TyTN, I have to take my hat off to Palm. Despite problems in the Treo, nobody else seems able to pull it together. I mean, they can see and test the form factor, why can't anyone else just copy it? The Nokia was close, but the lack of UMTS support in the U.S. was too big a step back after getting used to EVDO. I'm still testing the TyTN, but I find when I actually need to do something, I pull out the 700p

Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Thank you for helping me save several hundred dollars. I will stick with my 650 a bit longer. I had the MDA for a while and thought that the TyTN would be the turning point but apparently not, based on reports like this.
    Thanks for the feedback. Especially the comment about reaching for the 700p. That's important information.

My IT guy came in this morning waving his new 700w. Sigh. Too bad there's no GSM version.
    do I wait for the new treo in the UK or buy the tytn or hermes carrier equivalent. Touch choices. I want to use my sling player.

but i am not doing 500 GBP for this phone
    I just got a Sierra Wireless 860 card for my laptop. HSDPA speeds are screaming. 700kbps-1.3Mbps. This has nothing to do with the TyTn, just wanted to add to how impresse I am with HSDPA's speed.
    Stumbled across an interesting thread in another forum:

http://www.mtekk.com.au/Forums/tabi...ault.aspx#62174

It shows all the variations of the TyTn/Hermes. I wasn't aware that the physical hardware differed a bit from carrier to carrier.
  20.    #20  
    I think the link is bad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast