Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 46 of 46
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Can you quite those Linux research numbers again. I did not find any recent research which suggests that percentage at all, even on Linuxdevices.com
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...25#post1057515
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You claim multiple independent studies, but I see they all refer to the diffusion group study, which is not readably in any way, so we dont even know what definitions they used. Have you got anything else?

    Surur
  3. #43  
    Couple of questions:

    1. Definitions ? What definitions do we need for:

    Symbian Market Share or Symbian Shipments
    MS Mobiloe OS Platforms Market Share or Symbian Shipments
    Linux Market Share or Symbian Shipments

    Either it's a Symbian, MS or Linux OS or it's not, no ? Certainly it could be one of the 2 current MS OS's but that's not the subject.

    Now with smartphones, it's a well accepted fact (see brighthand article) that many of these report houses define smartphones differently, since we covered that in the RIM thread, it hardly bears repeating here to my thinking.

    2. Why is that you are quite comfortable with one (1) Canalys source but imply that one (1) TDG source is somehow less valid ?

    3. With relation to above, how can one hardware report finagled by various assumptions (such as all Nokia devices are Symbian when we know they are not, Moto are a not all WM) and fuzzy math be given equal validity with a report which basically says this is who sipped what in this period ?

    There's other references here on the boards, one being on The Register site but The Register's search emngine is rather porr and I didn't have any uck in the few minutes I was willing to dedicate to the search.
  4.    #44  
    Canalys has a long record of reporting on this market area, whereas TDG seems to be all over the place. Secondly, you are making way too much of the different definitions used by Gartner and IDC. At least they explicitly say what their definitions are. What's TDG's definition?

    Also you rather give them very little credit for sophistication. You think they dont know for example that Moto uses different OS's? I expect they know the market much better than you. In fact you should rely less on commentaries by Brighthand, 1src and such, which are all about morale boosting when explaining why POS numbers are falling than anything else.

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 08/05/2006 at 04:08 AM.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Secondly, you are making way too much of the different definitions used by Gartner and IDC. At least they explicitly say what their definitions are.
    Yes they do but you and I often don't get to see the actual reports unless you pay the subscriptions. I no longer pay Gartner for access to their site for example. What this happens, as IIRC you did with RIM, is post quotes from published excerpts which don't include the definitions. As a result, we all read how RIM trashed palm in handheld sales that quarter when in fact the numbers in the table ommitted all Treos....as it turned out, once Treos were added in it turned out that palm did have more sales that quarter.

    What's TDG's definition?
    A MS OS is one licensed by MS .... Symbian OS is one licensed by Symbian....there's no ambiguity here.


    Also you rather give them very little credit for sophistication. You think they dont know for example that Moto uses different OS's?
    I have no comment on what Canalys published. I take issue with **you** adding up all the sales by Motorola, Nokia, etc subtracting that from the total and saying therefore Linux has what's left over. It's equivalent to taking a list of car sales by GM, Ford, Chrysler etc and saying that only 6% of US made vehicles have Michelin tires on them.

    And I am still having trouble understanding how double digit unit sales increases for 12 straight quarters can be called a "falling" number.

    If ya wanna talk about falling numbers......and using your source

    MS: Q1 2004 23%, Q1 2005 18%, Q1 2006 12%
  6.    #46  
    A MS OS is one licensed by MS .... Symbian OS is one licensed by Symbian....there's no ambiguity here.
    The question is what defines a smartphone, not what defines an OS. Or are we now going to call every computer with a fax/modem a smartphone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    I have no comment on what Canalys published. I take issue with **you** adding up all the sales by Motorola, Nokia, etc subtracting that from the total and saying therefore Linux has what's left over. It's equivalent to taking a list of car sales by GM, Ford, Chrysler etc and saying that only 6% of US made vehicles have Michelin tires on them.
    Maybe thats why I added up OS's, not companies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Surur
    Lets see - Symbian =67% WM = 15% RIM = 6% POS=6(ish)% Total= 94%

    Therefore ? Linux = 6%, which = 1136657 units.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=21

    As a result, we all read how RIM trashed palm in handheld sales that quarter when in fact the numbers in the table omitted all Treos....as it turned out, once Treos were added in it turned out that palm did have more sales that quarter.
    You keep referring to this. Can you please show me this post, as I am sure you are misinterpreting things again.

    Surur
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions