View Poll Results: What is your preferred OS for your home or work computer?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mac OS

16 23.88%
  • MS Windows

38 56.72%
  • Linux, etc.

3 4.48%
  • None of the above.

10 14.93%
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Out of curiosity, how many of you Palm OS loyalists and/or PPC haters (or at least dislikers) use or prefer a Mac rather than a Windows PC?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Sorry I voted without fully seeing what you were asking. I am a MAC user, without real preference for PALM/WM.

I Like WM for what it can do. I like PALM's op sys more, but wish it had the capabilities of WM. I have a 700p
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I voted too, but I love my PPC-6700.
    We don't always get to have our preference.....certainly not at work.....but many people are tied to a particular OS because of a mandated requirement or need to use a certain program.
    I voted, however I am using a WM 5.0 device right now

I love my Treo 650 dont get me wrong, but the WM 5.0 OS is pretty slick I must say (although I do miss some features from the Treo)

But I will say this, PoS and WM are still way better than Symbian
    I voted (even though Im not a PPC hater.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I guess I should have asked my question a little differently. Now the results will be skewed .

I was trying to figure out if at least part of the reason some folks here really dislike PPC is because there dislike of M$ is carrying over into the mobile OS arena (without taking the time to give WM 5.0 a fair shake).
    Last edited by jlczl; 07/24/2006 at 09:27 PM.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I didn't vote but figured I'd share my opinion. I believe a large group of PPC-haters dislike it simply because of M$. Not many people even give WM a chance. I prefer my Cingular 8125 over the PalmOS Treo. I bought the 8125 with the thought that I may be returning or selling on eBay because I wouldn't like the WM interface. After giving it a fair shot I found myself to be more efficient with it and therefore kept it.

Same goes for my laptop OS. I dual boot Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP. I still find myself booting more to winxp simply for efficiency. This is mainly because of work related programs you simply can't use on MacOS or Linux. I do want to throw MacOS x86 into the boot scheme simply because efficiency on A/V goes hands down to the MacOS.

The point is, people will use what's more efficient for them. I think that WM5 is very geared toward business efficiency, but Palm OS loyalists are reluctant to even try, and when they do, they give up quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    \

The point is, people will use what's more efficient for them. I think that WM5 is very geared toward business efficiency, but Palm OS loyalists are reluctant to even try, and when they do, they give up quickly.
    How smart is a smartphone if the user has to do all the work? Why should a user have to work so hard to set up and use a device's capabilities? I'm not picking on just WM5 devices. I spent three hours trying to get a Nokia E61 connected to my network (finally did it). I tried to set up VOIP on the same device (never could make it work) and the settings are buried under 5 (if I remember correctly) different settings areas. How smart is that?
    Neat topic.
    I have been using my 650 as my main computer since the end of March. Any Windows PC that I can get to has served only to clean email off the server, and do some checks on my CSS for websites I design. Other than that, I dont really care to use Win, Linux, or MacOS.

That is not to say I am completly happy with the PalmOS, but I have been able to do a whole lot more with it than many people know to do with a Windows PC that has the tour enabled everytime they turn it on. For that, and the lack of viri to worry about, I have not much to complain about.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I'm just enough of a geek to be drawn by the allure of a new device. Each new device seems worse than the last one. The problem is, it seems to me, is interface design.

The more complex the device, the more logical the interface needs to be to take advantage of the features. Palm does this better than most, though it is faaar from perfect. Device manufacturers seem to be competing with each other on features. They add them quickly and push the device out the door with little effort to make the features accessible and useful to the users. The converged device space has become a fight for market share, not customer loyalty.

What set me off on this is the Nokia E61. It has great features, great capabilities and one of the worst user experiences I've seen. I gave the phone to my wife to play with. She wanted a device with a bigger screen for email. She read the manual. Can you believe that? After 3 hours of trying to set up her email she gave the device back to me saying all she could do with it was make phone calls. She is smart and reasonably tolerant of tecnological change. She went back to her Treo 650. Her comment was, "It may do less than the Nokia, but I can actually use what the Treo is capable of. My phone should be a tool, not a hobby."

A tool, not a hobby. I thought that was an interesting premise for a smart phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatan
    How smart is a smartphone if the user has to do all the work? Why should a user have to work so hard to set up and use a device's capabilities? I'm not picking on just WM5 devices. I spent three hours trying to get a Nokia E61 connected to my network (finally did it). I tried to set up VOIP on the same device (never could make it work) and the settings are buried under 5 (if I remember correctly) different settings areas. How smart is that?
    I don't know about other folks around here, but it took me months to get the Treo perfect and stable. PalmOS is considered an intuitive OS, but the average user is going to have many resets and other problems. Anyone who uses a device that has many features has to take time and learn the device or they will have problems. There's just too many things to go wrong and conflict. You can't just load these things up with tons of third party software and expect it to work flawlessly.
    The Nokia experience was not with third party software. Just the built in apps. There is a big difference in investing time in learning your device's capabilities and three hours to set up email. My wife had Chatter working in half an hour. It may not be pretty, but it has a logical interface.

Both of your Treo 650's have been stable from the beginning. We get a reset once every two weeks at most. We do have third party apps on the Treos, but most of them were pretty easy to figure out and set up. If one proved unstable, we got rid of it.

My point is that if too much time is required to figure out how to use an individual feature, most users will give up. It will be hard to convince those people to invest in a new, more capable device later. None of that would be an issue if these devices were being marketed to geeks, rather than regular users, but that is not the case.
    My point is that if too much time is required to figure out how to use an individual feature, most users will give up. It will be hard to convince those people to invest in a new, more capable device later. None of that would be an issue if these devices were being marketed to geeks, rather than regular users, but that is not the case.

This is such a good point. Many WM devices seems to be made by geeks for geeks, which is pretty stupid really.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

This is such a good point. Many WM devices seems to be made by geeks for geeks, which is pretty stupid really.

Surur
    Considering the above quotes, could one assume that the perception of the manufacturers still is that geeks and only a few fringe users want smartphones and therefore they continue to market and design towards them while still saying they want a larger marketshare. There are only so many geeks in a given place that want that much mobility right?

If technology wants to be personal like a smartphone, it has to be personable. No mobile phone maker not named Moto has figured it out yet.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.