Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check this out .
    http://www.micropctalk.com/
    The 16 gb flash memory version is awesome .
    You can upgrade 30 gb 0r 60 gb.
    Dump the treo's MDA 's & E61 .......& others.
    Get yourself one of these and a simple candybar phone with BT.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    You know, I was checking this out in a Sony store the other day and noticed a couple of things. It doesn't come with Windows XP Tablet Edition even though it has a touch screen. Also, the screen seemed to be stretched to wide. Could have been a setting but didn't delve into the settings options. Just my two cents...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Are you being serious? It's too big to carry in a pocket and too small to replace a laptop. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it would be useless to me, but it's pretty close.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Are you being serious? It's too big to carry in a pocket and too small to replace a laptop. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it would be useless to me, but it's pretty close.
    You are right about pocket, however it can definitely replace you laptop and be one device rather than having to sync and buy 3rd party software. This is it email , microsoft office , web, Personal media player, internet phone, camera, webcam, BT, Wifi, touch screen and upto 60 GB storage.
    This device already destroyed UMPC's before they were even born. The keyboard could have been a bit better.
    I wanna play with one of these badly.
    I love this device!! But I dunno, its gonna be hard for me to give up my convergent device
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    I love this device!! But I dunno, its gonna be hard for me to give up my convergent device
    Hi there Hofo,
    I am so tempted for this one. It is not very big in size . The old cassiopea would be a fair comparison .
    Biometric finger scanning for security.......awesome.
    Check out sony website for details.
    mtreo, this is exactly my setup but with a jasjar and sda
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    305 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    That's pretty pricey.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Check this out .
    http://www.micropctalk.com/
    The 16 gb flash memory version is awesome .
    You can upgrade 30 gb 0r 60 gb.
    The US version, the UX 180p, see here: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ters_UX_Series

uses cingular to conect to the internet. The monthly charge with a 2 year service contract is $80. and that is only to use the UX180. That is a little steep. I pay $60. now for a sprint evdo card that I can pop out and use in my different laptops. But i have to agree, it is a cool little device. i think i'd be shy using this on the subway in NYC. a $2,000 or so micro PC is a tempting target to be stolen. I have no problems using my treo on the subway though. They are relatively common now. I do find myself however every 2 or 3 days wandering over to some site to check it out. I have been really close at times to getting it.(I loved the original palm ux50 I had before) I'd be afraid to pick one up in a store....I'd whip out my credit card I'm sure. And then my wife would kill me...
    Last edited by southbound747; 07/23/2006 at 06:17 PM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    I went into the Sony store to check it out and possibly buy one but ended up getting a SZ series laptop instead. The SZ is small enough and I have a Sprint card too. The $60/month is just too good a deal rather than the $80 Cingular charges. So far, I LOVE my SZ laptop!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    The US version, the UX 180p, see here: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ters_UX_Series

uses cingular to conect to the internet. The monthly charge with a 2 year service contract is $80. and that is only to use the UX180. That is a little steep. I pay $60. now for a sprint evdo card that I can pop out and use in my different laptops. But i have to agree, it is a cool little device. i think i'd be shy using this on the subway in NYC. a $2,000 or so micro PC is a tempting target to be stolen. I have no problems using my treo on the subway though. They are relatively common now. I do find myself however every 2 or 3 days wandering over to some site to check it out. I have been really close at times to getting it.(I loved the original palm ux50 I had before) I'd be afraid to pick one up in a store....I'd whip out my credit card I'm sure. And then my wife would kill me...

I am in the same boat. I am so itching to buy this bad boy.I just bought E61 & your T700 is not old enough either.
    Your wife is justified in whatever you said she is going to do if you buy this one. Heck it's lot of money .But as you know this is one in all Ipod/pda/PSP/PMP/PC and all in one .
    The screen is incredible. I suggest you start selling the gadgets i mentioned above on ebay to get some cash & jusify your purchase,than you will get away with just a bit of beating & whining from your wife .
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    That's pretty pricey.
    I agree 100%.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    mtreo, this is exactly my setup but with a jasjar and sda
    How good is SDA? I was impressed with its speed.
    Jasjar is still a PDA, syncing and all that pain.
    UX is a lean mean beast machine, running XP pro.
    Why aren't you just using the Jas-Jar on its own?
    You are right about pocket, however it can definitely replace you laptop
    My laptop (a MacBook, but let's leave OS aside in this discussion) is my primary computing device. I suppose if push came to shove I could replace it with the UX, but as a bare minimum I'd need:

1. An external, full-sized keyboard (absolutely no way I'm using the tiny thing on the UX as the primary input device in my working life; a 20,000 word research report on that? No!)

2. An external monitor. I do quite a bit of image manipulation. To do this on a 4.5" 1024 x 600 screen would be an exercise in self-harm.

3. An external hard drive. I'll probably swap out the 80 GB drive in the MB for something bigger in the next few months. 60 GB is too small.

4. An external optical drive.

5. An external mouse.

6. A USB hub to connect this stuff up (the UX has only 2 USB slots).

The net result? A very expensive, tangly, cumbersome mess with a much less powerful processor, slower system bus, and less RAM than I have now and that can't be used more than a leads-length away from an AC outlet.

So perhaps I could do it, but I think you can see some the reasons why I'm not about to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the UX and similar devices couldn't be of value to some people, I'm just saying I'm not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    My laptop (a MacBook, but let's leave OS aside in this discussion) is my primary computing device. I suppose if push came to shove I could replace it with the UX, but as a bare minimum I'd need:

1. An external, full-sized keyboard (absolutely no way I'm using the tiny thing on the UX as the primary input device in my working life; a 20,000 word research report on that? No!)

2. An external monitor. I do quite a bit of image manipulation. To do this on a 4.5" 1024 x 600 screen would be an exercise in self-harm.

3. An external hard drive. I'll probably swap out the 80 GB drive in the MB for something bigger in the next few months. 60 GB is too small.

4. An external optical drive.

5. An external mouse.

6. A USB hub to connect this stuff up (the UX has only 2 USB slots).

The net result? A very expensive, tangly, cumbersome mess with a much less powerful processor, slower system bus, and less RAM than I have now and that can't be used more than a leads-length away from an AC outlet.

So perhaps I could do it, but I think you can see some the reasons why I'm not about to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the UX and similar devices couldn't be of value to some people, I'm just saying I'm not one of them.

Well it coldn't replace my laptop either. I think it really depends on what you do with your laptop and how often. For extended work I really need a widesreen and a full size keyboard. So I have one like that Which I usually keep at my job. Then I have a smaller one, a Sony vaio fj series that is more portable. And then of course I have my treo. I see the ux 180 as a second laptop for someone. And if the cash isn't an issue, it's a great 2nd latop. No way I'd want it to be my only laptop. I like to naviagte easily on a big screen to work on spreadshets. But hey that's me. I don't wamt to scroll around on a small screen all the time. But as a second machine, to check stuff and do some light editing, yeah, I'd love it. About the keyboard, it has bluetooth so you could use the Treo's BT keyboard that i use from Think Outside. It's a very cool second machine. Half toy, half serious machine. The thing that kills it for me is the $80 monthly charge (pre tax!) for data. I wish Sony gave us options for ther carriers so there could be competition or even better make an elegant attachment to add a pc card slot so i could use my sprint evdo card. I am sure there is an external usb pc card slot but that would dangle eveywhere. I mean i wish sony had a unit that could clip on or something that would take up minimal space and blend in. I already pay $60 for data with sprint. I won't pay more. My sprint card can pop out and be used with almost any laptop. it is unfair for sony to lock me in to only the ux 180 and to have to pay $80/month for that with a 2 year contact via cingular. That basically doubles the cost of the unit, adding another $2k over two years. So with all the nice accessories your looking at almsot $5k for this unit. That's over the top for me. I would consider it in a very weak monent if I could use my exisiting sprint card. But that has always been sony's problem. they make some of the best and sexiest hardware out there and then they try to lock you in to usung their own proproetary stuff like memorry sticks, their mini cds, their own drm sysyem (what was that for music, atrac?). Once they lock you in, the overcharge you. Memory sticks have always cost a premium over other systems. Look how fast SD cards have dropped in price once they kind of become the standard. Memory sticks cost way more. They crippled the psp making people develop hacks so they could rip and watch their own movies. I think sony's big mistake was getting into the content business. They never should have gotten into music and movies. they lost a lot of money and crippled their hardware to give preference to ther own content. (I bought the first sony walkman in 1979 when it came out. That was before they got into the music business. what a revolution the walkman was when it first came out.) that's why apple killed them with the ipod (becuse apple made user friendly hardware that could easily use any content). But now with steve jobs on the board of disney i think apple will make the same mistake with the ipods that sony always makes with its cool hardware. already it's really hard to rip the drm-ed viedos. it was a breeze to rip songs from itunes. since jobs sells his own movies (but not music) he made ripping videos from itunes a lot harder. he is following sony. Buy sony alsways makes beautiful stuff. that's why i boiught the original palm ux 50 and spent over $1k with accessoi=ries on that even thogh it used memory sticks. oh well. I will just admire the ux 180 from afar.
    I suggest you start selling the gadgets i mentioned above on ebay to get some cash & jusify your purchase,than you will get away with just a bit of beating & whining from your wife .
    Sound advice, no question. But it is the cost of cingular service that really irks me. $80 a month over a 2 year contract is more than the device itself and for that I can't use the cingular "unlimited internet" service with another computer. that's the rub for me. I already pay $50 at home for cable intenet for my whole family , I got 3 treos on sprint (me, wife, and son), plus i got my sprint card (another $60/mo, but I can use it on multiple laptops). No reasonable way to jusitfy another $80 a month for just one unit for one person. Even if it is as cool as it is. A shame.
    Hi there Hofo,
    I am so tempted for this one. It is not very big in size . The old cassiopea would be a fair comparison .
    Biometric finger scanning for security.......awesome.
    Check out sony website for details.
    wow same rough size as the old cassiopeia...thats pretty small...man too many decisions!!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Do you HAVE TO sign up for a data plan when purchasing this?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Do you HAVE TO sign up for a data plan when purchasing this?
    Nope
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast