Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Just saw one of these at my local CompUSA yesterday and am very impressed. I couldn't help but think how much longer it would be until a pda the size of a JasJar could be made with a full blown OS just like the UX. I would love that. Anyways, I would have bought the UX if I had the $$$, but I don't . I'll have to save up for this one.
    Well I am sure these will start showing up used on ebay soon once the novellty wears off for some people. Also sony keeps coming out with newer versions. As people upgrade a lot of these will go up on ebay too.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBud
    Hi Southbound, have you had a chance to try using your Treo as a modem via DUN with the UX180? I've got the UX180 also and have been trying to use this setup but the UX just can't connect to the Treo. I'd be curious to see if you have any problem doing this. I've also tried PDANet via Bluetooth with no luck. I've downloaded the hack for DUN on the Treo and this doesn't work either. I've double checked all the settings, (user name, password, etc.).

I was able to go thru the detection process on the UX and it detected the DUN on the Treo and was able to setup the modem on Com port 40 with no problems. It just will not connect when it comes time to connect.

I'll probably pop my Treo SIM into the UX and use it that way. I just hate having to unscrew the SIM cover.

TreoBud
    Please let us know if you ever manage to get it working with the treo as a modem. Does your U have the gular sim ard in it? Mine came with it in by default. Do you think the fact that it is in there has something to do with why you can't connect another way? And you're trying to do this through the bliuetooth right? Using the treo via a bluetooth connection to be a modem for the ux 180, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    As always after initial resistance , I gave up.
    I ordered the 16 gig unit from dynamism today.
    Will be here in a week or so.
    wow. you plunked down some serious cash. that's almost $3k before you start to load up on accessories which you no doubt later will. but I know you really wanted that black one. I am sure you will find a way to work around the 16 gb limit. there are external drives you can attach if you need more memory.

i am sure it is an amazing machine. I am sure it will run longer and cooler than my 180. good luck with it. btw, if you didn't order it with screen protectors try to order those now. the last thing you want do is mess up your sccreen as soon as you get it. i have a makeshift thing now where i over aid several protectors for treo. it will do until i get the real thing. see here: http://umpcscreensheet.com/ux.html
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Exactly...its inbetween, which has no market for me. It is nice though when it comes to an extra gadget to play with, but its not going to be a standard replacement
    There are definately a lot of people who agree with you. They said the same thing about my Jornada 720 in 2001 when that came out. see here: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...held_pc_review

And it died. it was too in between. I loved it at the time. Especially the instant on of windows ce, like our treos now. the ux 180 takes a while to boot up. but it is still a great machine. Have you held one in your hands yet? I agree that it couldn't replace my laptop, bit it sure is a wonderful supplement.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    wow. you plunked down some serious cash. that's almost $3k before you start to load up on accessories which you no doubt later will. but I know you really wanted that black one. I am sure you will find a way to work around the 16 gb limit. there are external drives you can attach if you need more memory.

i am sure it is an amazing machine. I am sure it will run longer and cooler than my 180. good luck with it. btw, if you didn't order it with screen protectors try to order those now. the last thing you want do is mess up your sccreen as soon as you get it. i have a makeshift thing now where i over aid several protectors for treo. it will do until i get the real thing. see here: http://umpcscreensheet.com/ux.html
    Thanks Southbound ,
    Yes the blackbeauty....... . Ordered through dynamism. About 2600 shipped. I buy stuff from them regularly, used a 100 dollar coupon form previous purchase.Dynamism is also throwing a bag & some screen protectors as i am there frequent customer.
    I did not want to compromise on speed .
    There are 8 gb CF cards and 4 gb memory sticks available ( about 400 bucks for both ).Yes, it is going to be around 3G 's without 3G( network connection )
    Hey , if it helps in making me more efficient at work , i won't hesistate about that much money. But i think ,that 's always the excuse for buying these gizmo's.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
  6.    #66  
    There are definately a lot of people who agree with you. They said the same thing about my Jornada 720 in 2001 when that came out. see here: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...held_pc_review

And it died. it was too in between. I loved it at the time. Especially the instant on of windows ce, like our treos now. the ux 180 takes a while to boot up. but it is still a great machine. Have you held one in your hands yet? I agree that it couldn't replace my laptop, bit it sure is a wonderful supplement.
    I don't agree with Kstewart's statement about not being able to replace laptop . Devices like these may not have any use for somone who lives near his workplace , (unlike you) or has a job involving sitting on a desk with computer most of the time (unlike me).

I would say for me this is going to be more than a laptop !!.
    I don't agree with Kstewart's statement about not being able to replace laptop . Devices like these may not have any use for somone who lives near his workplace , (unlike you) or has a job involving sitting on a desk with computer most of the time (unlike me).

I would say for me this is going to be more than a laptop !!.
    From what you said about your job, i think your right for you. that's why its great that they make all kinds of gadgets for all kinds of people. You and I both love the UX machines and will use them in swlightly different ways. I hope as I use it more I will find more ways to make it as useful as possible for me. But for me I still see a place for different kinds of machines. Glad to hear you'll make good use of the compact flash slot. I didn't know they were making 8 gb in that format. The last time i used a compact flash was in 2002 with my jornada. I miss that machine. Instant on with no boot up was a real benefit.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    M,

Wow. E61. Then the UX. I'm jealous.
    Think of the money you saved by not doing so .
    http://mobilitytoday.com/news/sony_ux_sale.html

UX 180 on sale for $1,599 at Staples through August 5th...fyi

I had the 720... I loved that thing so much. I used it my last year in undergrad and all through my MBA. I probably wrote the equivilant of a novel on that. I agree with everyone that the UX has too many limitations to be either A PC or a PDA, but I am the kind of person who would use it as both.
    For all you UX fans, I would hold out for the FlipStart:

http://www.flipstartpc.com/

Paul Allen's company... I am expecting the OS/Hardware integration to be unreal.
    Well, I've spent hours trying to get DUN to work using Bluetooth on the 650 with no success. I can successfully set up a new connection to the 650 on the UX. The UX sets this up on COM40. After entering all variations of the username, password and modem strings that I have gleened from countless threads on this subject, it just want work for me. When I click to connect, the 650 screen comes on, but a connection from the UX to the Treo is never made. Contact is being made between the two, but something prevents the connection from completing.

I had no success with PDANet over bluetooth either. However, PDAnet via the hotsync cable worked the first time and I am getting a great connection that way.

I have not tried using my 650 SIM with the UX yet. I just hate the idea of having to unscrew the SIM card protector everytime I need to use it.

In the end, while I'm not crazy about being tethered via the HotSync cable, it seems to be the only workable solution for me at least. I can live with it.

Please do not take any of this to mean that DUN via the Treo 650 on the UX will not work. Maybe I'm not doing something right and others might be able to get it to work with no problems. I just don't have any more time to pour into it right now.

The UX180P is a great device and I will now turn my attention to using many of its great features since I'm done with DUN for now. lol

TreoBud
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13
    For all you UX fans, I would hold out for the FlipStart:

http://www.flipstartpc.com/

Paul Allen's company... I am expecting the OS/Hardware integration to be unreal.

Dude ,
    What The hell are you smoking?
    "BIG TIME VAPORWARE".
    I have been seeing that web page for last 2 years. Where is the product?
    Last press release on that web page is yrs ago.
    Rock Bottom!!
  14.    #74  
    Getting my UX 90s tomorrow.
    Just one more day...
    Waiting eagerly
    Dude ,
    What The hell are you smoking?
    "BIG TIME VAPORWARE".
    I have been seeing that web page for last 2 years. Where is the product?
    Last press release on that web page is yrs ago.
    Rock Bottom!!
    Wow... didn't look at the dates at all. You are right that thing will never see the light of day.
    I hope you don't get tired of that thumb keyboard man... I don't think I could get used to that.
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgo 13
    I hope you don't get tired of that thumb keyboard man... I don't think I could get used to that.
    What are you using your fingers or thumb to type on your treo.
    BTW , got my unit today .
    Screen is just gorgeous , no pda or smartphones can match .Very very fast .
    Getting used to keyboard . The mouse is slightly painful . Overall a fantastic device . I think it will do a lot from me at work place.
    6th portable computer in my house .
    I recommend seeing one in person to believe .
    Shows us a picture of it on your belt clip!
    What are you using your fingers or thumb to type on your treo.
    BTW , got my unit today .
    Screen is just gorgeous , no pda or smartphones can match .Very very fast .
    Getting used to keyboard . The mouse is slightly painful . Overall a fantastic device .
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Shows us a picture of it on your belt clip!
    Here,here !!

http://dynamism.com/ux/gallery.shtml
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast