Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    Everyone's different with different jobs, situations, needs, etc. For me I don't need/want to give up my laptop. (I just don't want to carry it everywhere either!) I have the laptop in the office at work. I have a desktop at home home and another laptop at home to carry around room to room there as needed. Then I had the treo for everything in bewteen. What I wanted was something that fits the gap between all of those (the treo 700 p is wonderful, but it is a bit small in the screen and doesn't have all the software I want/need). The UX 180 is great. Could it completely replace a laptop...that's tough. It can do a lot. The screen was better than I thought. It's small (4.5 inches I believe) but you really can see it pretty well. (and as I said the 40 + years old eyes are starting to go a bit and I see the screen fine) . Would you want to see that screen all the time? That's a personal decision. You are a physician right? So you walk around a lot in the hospital from room to room with different patients? It could be great for you. But it's nice to have a full-size screen and keyboard at times, no? You can't keep your laptop too? I would guess the UX 180/90 could comfortably do 75% of what many people need. I still think there are at least 20 % tasks that are better done on laptop. (I mean if you have to carry a lot of cables, port replicators, extra batteries, etc then you have obviated the advatgaes of the UX 180 in the first place. Sometimes a laptop, in certain circumstances, might be the better choice). As I said, for me it wasn't either or. The UX is a wonderful addition to my gear that will take over a lot of what my laptop did and some of what the treo did. But I will keep both the treo and laptop too. I need to find out if there is a driver for the BT think outside Key board . That would help a lot.(You don't want to write any long documnets with the UX 180s keyboard. The treo keyboard seems more comfortable to me personally, but i need to use the 180 more).Those guys at micropctalk are great too. they have come up with all kinds of hacks and solutions. they are a great energetic community over there. Thanks for introducing me to that site. They have some of the passion that used to be here before when the treo 600 first came out.

Thanks for outlining your thoughts.
    I am always in search for gadgets to minimizing devices. I bought Nokia E61 to move away from treo, Now if UX is going to have my email, appointments , calendar , contacts . All i need is a simple BT phone to complement the new set up . I hate having all my stuff scattered in different places. I have gotten rid of my desktop at home and work replaced by mypowerbook. I think once i get UX ,will continue to have powerbook but seriously think about whether you need smartphone. I think you can keep UX in your car and take with you everytime you leave your house for shopping and other places. That's how, i am going to use this device . Correct me , if i am wrong.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Thanks for outlining your thoughts.
    I am always in search for gadgets to minimizing devices. I bought Nokia E61 to move away from treo, Now if UX is going to have my email, appointments , calendar , contacts . All i need is a simple BT phone to complement the new set up . I hate having all my stuff scattered in different places. I have gotten rid of my desktop at home and work replaced by mypowerbook. I think once i get UX ,will continue to have powerbook but seriously think about whether you need smartphone. I think you can keep UX in your car and take with you everytime you leave your house for shopping and other places. That's how, i am going to use this device . Correct me , if i am wrong.
    Well, see that's my point. Everyone's different. I live in NYC and don't have a car. Don't need one and don't want one. The subway takes me everywhere i have to go with a metrocard I get pre-tax at work for $60 a month. That's my total transportation bill for the month. That's fill the tank for most people just for gas for a week these days. So for me, I have a lot of "down time" on the train which I don't want to waste. The treo is ideal to read/write emails, touch up documents, read an ebook, or plan stuff out in thought manager. (btw, I have hundreds of dollars invested in palm sofware. My ebooks and various foreign language dictionaries easily add up to $500. I don't want to throw that away. I use many "slovo ed" dicitonaries. and now that RNS came out with the command bar app, I can finally use a feature that I couldn't before called the "resident module." It lets me highlight a word in any app and call up the dictionary. That is huge for me. Likewise in ereader I have another dictionary, the unabridged Merriam Webster, an oversized really big hardback book that takes up 64 mb in electronic form. In any ebook I highlight the word and that one dicitonary is integrated within ereader and i get get the definition with all its permutations in the unabridged edition. Again, huge for me. (And all of this can be done one handed via the treo).

Treos are small enough and common enough now in the City that I don't draw attention to myself and don't worry too much about being robbed. I blend in with the treo. I like that. It let's me focus on the work I have to do. Plus it is optimized for one hand use. Very convenient in a crowded subway. I have to spend at least 90 minutes total daily in the subway system. That is time that I don't have to just waste because of my treo. The Vaio UX, beautiful as it is, really needs 2 hands to operate it and would definitely call more attention to me and itself ("Please, steal me!") than the treo. So for me, for my needs, the treo is also good. It has its important niche in my life. And I am hopeful the UX 180 will grow with me and find it's proper place with me. You are taking a minimalist approach which is a great way to go for many people. For me, I want the best way to maximize my time. You want the least amount of gear to do the job. I want the best gear to help me do my job. Nobody is wrong. Just slightly different priorities. Since I now have 4 PCs (desktop at home, 17 inch laptop at the job, 14 inch vaio laptop at home to move around with me and sometimes take in the backpack, and now the vaio 180) what I am looking to do is get more stuff online and therefore be accessible from anywhere. The new "Google spreadsheets" is becoming a real option for me; some of my stuff could go there online and I can access it from any PC. That is one way I am trying to "minimize" my clutter. Different strokes for different folks, right? I also use blogs as private "diaries/storage places" to keep a lot of info I need online and then I can access that from any PC too (I don't make most of my blogs public. They are just for me. I have one for the treo where anything I think is relevant I just add it to the blog as either an entry or or with links. It's kind of like "favorites" or "bookmarks" on a PC but these are online and I can find them from any PC.)

If anything, I would eliminate the 14 inch vaio before I got rid of my treo. The new 180 kinda makes that piece redundant. Anyway, it's all good. I recycle my tech down the ladder to my wife, son, and even my mom. I may just give the vaio laptop to my wife when I decide to tell her about the UX 180. Now they look forward to me getting a new ipod because down the chain comes the old. When I got the ipod with video, my wife got the ipod with photos and my son got her old 40 gb ipod. And so it goes...

Anyway, I need to see where the UX 180 best fits in my setup. Months down the road, I may feel very differently. Most of the accessories are out of stock right now. You can't get the extended battery anywhere in the US right now for at least a few weeks. Ditto to the external dvd drive. Once I have all that and a better case (the generic one it came with has some fuzzy sh*t that comes off on the screen. Like small fuzz balls.) And I need a decent screen protector (right now I have treo screen protectors overlapping on the UX; not a pretty sight!), then I can really begin to use it. Also As I said, I gotta look into some keyboard options like a driver for that BT keyboard I already have. At that point I will really be able to see what this baby can do for me and where it bests fits in my universe.
    Last edited by southbound747; 07/26/2006 at 04:49 PM. Reason: fixing typos
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I am impressed! You really have your tech groove going!! /\/\
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I am impressed! You really have your tech groove going!! /\/\
    Thanks, but that's what we are all doing here right, in our own ways? We (power users of treos at TC) all want our tech to help us in the way that we each think is best for us. And that will be different for different people. For me, I like to try get the greatest benefits that I can from all of my gear. I am pretty sure almost everyone here at TC feels that way at least about their treos.
  5.    #45  
    Thanks Southbound
    Having lived in brooklyn for few years . I can understand your concerns with subway . It's great way to commute be able ot have enough time to check your email and otherstuff before reaching your desk must be awesome .

I try to be minimalistic when it comes to devices . I got rid of my cowon PMP, thinking about passign on my ibook ot my wife .
    Still working hard to justify this purchase . It will happen soon .
    I am more tempted towards the ux 90.
    Tell us more about the unit .
    How good is SDA? I was impressed with its speed.
    Jasjar is still a PDA, syncing and all that pain.
    UX is a lean mean beast machine, running XP pro.
    The SDA is great, fast and all. Yep, the Jasjar is still a PDA, but with so much screen space I don't have to squint. I spend about 4-6 hours a day using my pda so for me, its worth it.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Why aren't you just using the Jas-Jar on its own?
    Because the Jasjar does not use EDGE technology and GPRS is ridiculously slow. I also take the subway, and I need a less flashy device while on the train.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    Because the Jasjar does not use EDGE technology and GPRS is ridiculously slow. I also take the subway, and I need a less flashy device while on the train.
    UMTS?
    Not in the US
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Oh I see. I have a mate in Australia who loves his Jas-Jar. I am waiting for a decent price on the TyTn. Triband UTMS, wifi and 400Mhz=Skype on the go.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Oh I see. I have a mate in Australia who loves his Jas-Jar. I am waiting for a decent price on the TyTn. Triband UTMS, wifi and 400Mhz=Skype on the go.

Euro uses 2100MHz for its UMTS. The US uses 850/1900MHz. This means that you cannot use the UMTS radio built into the Jas-Jar. I don't think EDGE is on this device either, so it makes it a poor choice for US usage. Shame as it is the only VGA device available.
  12.    #52  
    As always after initial resistance , I gave up.
    I ordered the 16 gig unit from dynamism today.
    Will be here in a week or so.
    Hi Southbound, have you had a chance to try using your Treo as a modem via DUN with the UX180? I've got the UX180 also and have been trying to use this setup but the UX just can't connect to the Treo. I'd be curious to see if you have any problem doing this. I've also tried PDANet via Bluetooth with no luck. I've downloaded the hack for DUN on the Treo and this doesn't work either. I've double checked all the settings, (user name, password, etc.).

I was able to go thru the detection process on the UX and it detected the DUN on the Treo and was able to setup the modem on Com port 40 with no problems. It just will not connect when it comes time to connect.

I'll probably pop my Treo SIM into the UX and use it that way. I just hate having to unscrew the SIM cover.

TreoBud
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Just saw one of these at my local CompUSA yesterday and am very impressed. I couldn't help but think how much longer it would be until a pda the size of a JasJar could be made with a full blown OS just like the UX. I would love that. Anyways, I would have bought the UX if I had the $$$, but I don't . I'll have to save up for this one.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I wish it came with MS Tablet OS.

It does have a touch screen doesn't ?
    As always after initial resistance , I gave up.
    I ordered the 16 gig unit from dynamism today.
    Will be here in a week or so.
    M,

Wow. E61. Then the UX. I'm jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    First thing I would recommend with any Sony Vaio is to check the battery life. I recently bought a Vaio laptop, and it is really more like a very small desktop. They have the worst battery life of any device that I've ever seen.
    I'm on my Vaio T-350P and I get >4.5 hours on this baby: Hard to top that.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Are you being serious? It's too big to carry in a pocket and too small to replace a laptop. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it would be useless to me, but it's pretty close.
    Exactly...its inbetween, which has no market for me. It is nice though when it comes to an extra gadget to play with, but its not going to be a standard replacement
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBud
    Hi Southbound, have you had a chance to try using your Treo as a modem via DUN with the UX180? I've got the UX180 also and have been trying to use this setup but the UX just can't connect to the Treo. I'd be curious to see if you have any problem doing this. I've also tried PDANet via Bluetooth with no luck. I've downloaded the hack for DUN on the Treo and this doesn't work either. I've double checked all the settings, (user name, password, etc.).

I was able to go thru the detection process on the UX and it detected the DUN on the Treo and was able to setup the modem on Com port 40 with no problems. It just will not connect when it comes time to connect.

I'll probably pop my Treo SIM into the UX and use it that way. I just hate having to unscrew the SIM cover.

TreoBud
    No nothing with DUN. I am using it with Cingular for the time being. I get a free month, so I am going to use that. I m looking into getting service through T mobile. People here have talked about $20 a month.when I called T mobiile they said it would be $49. for a a data plan for a computer. I guess I need to tell them the sim card is for a phone, not a computer. I don't know if they can tell how much data I am using and if they will make me use a computer data plan instead of a phone data plan.

about unscrweing the cover, yeah, thats part of it. From what I understand, there are some issues in doing that from the forums over at miropctalk.com. Also some people have had to put tape or paper on t-mobilr sim cards in the ux !80 because other wise it doesn't make proper contact. See here: http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/sh...?p=972#post972.

I suggest you join the forums over there and ask them about the DUN.
    I wish it came with MS Tablet OS.

It does have a touch screen doesn't ?
    It does have a touch screen. And some people have installed table OS. See here. http://www.micropctalk.com/2006/06/1...ablet-edition/
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast