Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    My laptop (a MacBook, but let's leave OS aside in this discussion) is my primary computing device. I suppose if push came to shove I could replace it with the UX, but as a bare minimum I'd need:

1. An external, full-sized keyboard (absolutely no way I'm using the tiny thing on the UX as the primary input device in my working life; a 20,000 word research report on that? No!)

2. An external monitor. I do quite a bit of image manipulation. To do this on a 4.5" 1024 x 600 screen would be an exercise in self-harm.

3. An external hard drive. I'll probably swap out the 80 GB drive in the MB for something bigger in the next few months. 60 GB is too small.

4. An external optical drive.

5. An external mouse.

6. A USB hub to connect this stuff up (the UX has only 2 USB slots).

The net result? A very expensive, tangly, cumbersome mess with a much less powerful processor, slower system bus, and less RAM than I have now and that can't be used more than a leads-length away from an AC outlet.

So perhaps I could do it, but I think you can see some the reasons why I'm not about to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the UX and similar devices couldn't be of value to some people, I'm just saying I'm not one of them.

I use a 15 inch powerbook . You don't need a mouse for this . The unit also ships with a port replicator . The whole purpose of this device is instantenousity . You slide the keyboard the unit is activated. It is goign to be great for email , office documents , presentations , wifi . Remember you can not carry your macbook on the waist , but this thing yes . My work place is wifi therefore , I don't need cingular plan.
    I think i don't need to carry my powerbook to work everyday if i buy this . In other words less weight to carry and less wear & tear to my powerbook.
    I am a teaching physician , who has to go from room to room to supervise trainee . I fidn it hard with powerbook . I can carry in my labcoat jacket .
    I travel a lot giving presentations and this is going to be ideal .

I will go for all black version with 16 gb hardrive and CF slot .As this unit is 3-4 times much faster and about 1/2 hr long battery life The price is outrageous. Finding it really hard ot justify ... will get rid of my mac g4 desktop.
    I am so tempted .............
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Nope
    Actually my undestanding is yes you need to have a cingular data plan, because cingular is subsidizing this to the tune of $400. The UX 180 has the cingular chip already in it. Has anyone actually bought the UX 180 and not had to get cingular service? The UX 90 is the Japanese version that comes without cingular and can have an English keyboard. That one comes with 16 gb flash drive so no moving parts. See it at dynamism here: http://dynamism.com/ux/main.shtml. If you don't want cingular service, look into the UX 90. The flash drive gives better battery life and doesn't run as hot.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    I am a teaching physician , who has to go from room to room to supervise trainee . I fidn it hard with powerbook . I can carry in my labcoat jacket .

I will go for all black version with 16 gb hardrive and CF slot .As this unit is 3-4 times much faster and about 1/2 hr long battery life The price is outrageous. Finding it really hard ot justify ... will get rid of my mac g4 desktop.
    Yeah sounds like it could work for you if you have the wifi there. The one you are talking about is the UX 90 that I talked about above and show in the link to dynamism.com
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    Yeah sounds like it could work for you if you have the wifi there. The one you are talking about is the UX 90 that I talked about above and show in the link to dynamism.com
    Yes it is UX 90 version.
    Conics.net can custom configure these for you .
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    So if I get one of these without a Cingular contract I should theoretically be able to put MY Cingular SIM card in it and use my grandfathered MediaWorks (unlimited internet, tons of sms's and mms's for $19.99/mo.)?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Well it coldn't replace my laptop either. I think it really depends on what you do with your laptop and how often. For extended work I really need a widesreen and a full size keyboard. So I have one like that Which I usually keep at my job. Then I have a smaller one, a Sony vaio fj series that is more portable. And then of course I have my treo. I see the ux 180 as a second laptop for someone. And if the cash isn't an issue, it's a great 2nd latop. No way I'd want it to be my only laptop. I like to naviagte easily on a big screen to work on spreadshets. But hey that's me. I don't wamt to scroll around on a small screen all the time. But as a second machine, to check stuff and do some light editing, yeah, I'd love it. About the keyboard, it has bluetooth so you could use the Treo's BT keyboard that i use from Think Outside. It's a very cool second machine. Half toy, half serious machine. The thing that kills it for me is the $80 monthly charge (pre tax!) for data. I wish Sony gave us options for ther carriers so there could be competition or even better make an elegant attachment to add a pc card slot so i could use my sprint evdo card. I am sure there is an external usb pc card slot but that would dangle eveywhere. I mean i wish sony had a unit that could clip on or something that would take up minimal space and blend in. I already pay $60 for data with sprint. I won't pay more. My sprint card can pop out and be used with almost any laptop. it is unfair for sony to lock me in to only the ux 180 and to have to pay $80/month for that with a 2 year contact via cingular. That basically doubles the cost of the unit, adding another $2k over two years. So with all the nice accessories your looking at almsot $5k for this unit. That's over the top for me. I would consider it in a very weak monent if I could use my exisiting sprint card. But that has always been sony's problem. they make some of the best and sexiest hardware out there and then they try to lock you in to usung their own proproetary stuff like memorry sticks, their mini cds, their own drm sysyem (what was that for music, atrac?). Once they lock you in, the overcharge you. Memory sticks have always cost a premium over other systems. Look how fast SD cards have dropped in price once they kind of become the standard. Memory sticks cost way more. They crippled the psp making people develop hacks so they could rip and watch their own movies. I think sony's big mistake was getting into the content business. They never should have gotten into music and movies. they lost a lot of money and crippled their hardware to give preference to ther own content. (I bought the first sony walkman in 1979 when it came out. That was before they got into the music business. what a revolution the walkman was when it first came out.) that's why apple killed them with the ipod (becuse apple made user friendly hardware that could easily use any content). But now with steve jobs on the board of disney i think apple will make the same mistake with the ipods that sony always makes with its cool hardware. already it's really hard to rip the drm-ed viedos. it was a breeze to rip songs from itunes. since jobs sells his own movies (but not music) he made ripping videos from itunes a lot harder. he is following sony. Buy sony alsways makes beautiful stuff. that's why i boiught the original palm ux 50 and spent over $1k with accessoi=ries on that even thogh it used memory sticks. oh well. I will just admire the ux 180 from afar.

You can use T-Mobile's SIM Card with this. Their data plans are $20/month.
    First thing I would recommend with any Sony Vaio is to check the battery life. I recently bought a Vaio laptop, and it is really more like a very small desktop. They have the worst battery life of any device that I've ever seen.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    Quote Originally Posted by murf80
    You can use T-Mobile's SIM Card with this. Their data plans are $20/month.
    That's interesting. Could the sim cards that they are using be a different size from regular sim cards? Sony is notorious for crippling their devices in ways like that. You know what I mean? Maybe they are using some special proprietary sim card? I had not heard youe suggestion about t mobile before. On the surface it makes a lot of sense. The UX 90 has a compact flash slot where the sim card is on the 180 model. Your idea is really food for thought. Thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    First thing I would recommend with any Sony Vaio is to check the battery life. I recently bought a Vaio laptop, and it is really more like a very small desktop. They have the worst battery life of any device that I've ever seen.
    Its listed 2.5-4 hrs on their display at sony style store in Houston mall and on their website site. I agree to that estimate because I used almost 30 minutes and only used 12% battery.
    I like the device, I really do but to tell you the truth, its not easy typing on this thing. Keys in middle are not easier to press if you holding it right on both sides. It is very hard not to move your hands to type something.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I use a 15 inch powerbook . You don't need a mouse for this . The unit also ships with a port replicator . The whole purpose of this device is instantenousity . You slide the keyboard the unit is activated. It is goign to be great for email , office documents , presentations , wifi . Remember you can not carry your macbook on the waist , but this thing yes.
    Hi Mtreosexual, Just in case it wasn't completely clear I hope you'll forgive me for pointing out that the post that you quoted was a response to your comment that 'it can definitely replace you laptop'. My point was that to do this it would have to replace all of the functions of my laptop (at least all of the important ones) and that it's ill-suited to do this. I wasn't saying it couldn't replace some laptop functions, clearly it can, just that it couldn't (in any feasible scenario) do all that currently I do with with the MacBook.

My work place is wifi therefore , I don't need cingular plan.
    I think i don't need to carry my powerbook to work everyday if i buy this . In other words less weight to carry and less wear & tear to my powerbook.
    I guess you're the target market and I'm not. Out of interest, what are the key things that the UX would give you that a POS Treo, WM5 or other smartphone device wouldn't? The 'email , office documents , presentations , wifi' you mention are all doable at least to a degree with, say, one of the HTC Wizard variants or the Nokia E61. Running proper Office rather than the Pocket version or Docs To Go the important thing?

Me too, but I frequently edit the presentations while I'm on the trip and I'm not sure how easy this would be on the UX. A new bit of text, ok, but new slides, image manipulation and import? I could see the small screen being a real limitation for these tasks. Slightly academic from my point of view anyway - I'm mostly using Keynote rather PowerPoint these days. It's so much nicer

Sounds pretty much like you already made up your mind Best of luck if you do get it. Let us know how it goes.
    I guess I shouldn't have gone to the store to just "see" the UX 180. Once I put it in my hands, that was it. There was no way I was going to leave without it. It is a real thing of beauty. It was smaller than I thought it would be and surprisingly the text on large fonts is readable (and I must say my eyes are starting to go a bit, but I can see this thing fine.). The screen is amazingly clear. I am charging it right now. Now there is no way this will replace my laptop, but it will do in a pinch and it can do quite a bit too. It is just over a pound in weight so I can bring it in my backpack easily and not really feel it. It is a luxury no doubt, but it is functional too. No way I will want to type anything really long on that keyboard. But the mouse function isn't bad and there is a stylus. I do a lot of things with excel and this will do fine for that. I am happy I got it. Wife doesn't know yet.

Someone asked what you can do on this that you can't on a treo...
    The screen real estate is much larger than the treo so looking at spreadsheets is a lot easier which I need to do. Also you can make and not just edit powerpoint slides which I also need to do. And again because of the larger screen you can see regular websites more easily than on the treo. I love my treo. It isn't an either or for me. I like both and will use them differently.

Btw, the OP was right (and I was wrong!). Although cingular subsidizes it, I didn't have to sign up with them. I will look into using t mobile later. The guy in the store said he tried his t mobile sim card and it didn't work. Some software issue. I am sure somebody will come up with a hack later.

You gotta hold one of these to appreciate its beauty. Pictures don't do it justice.
    i was checking out the forums over at micropctalk.com and I was very happy see that apparently you can get the vaio unlocked and them can use with other gsm carriers. i hope t mobile in the usa

i am even happier now than before. see here: http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/sh...?p=858#post858
  13.    #33  
    I guess I shouldn't have gone to the store to just "see" the UX 180. Once I put it in my hands, that was it. There was no way I was going to leave without it. It is a real thing of beauty. It was smaller than I thought it would be and surprisingly the text on large fonts is readable (and I must say my eyes are starting to go a bit, but I can see this thing fine.). The screen is amazingly clear. I am charging it right now. Now there is no way this will replace my laptop, but it will do in a pinch and it can do quite a bit too. It is just over a pound in weight so I can bring it in my backpack easily and not really feel it. It is a luxury no doubt, but it is functional too. No way I will want to type anything really long on that keyboard. But the mouse function isn't bad and there is a stylus. I do a lot of things with excel and this will do fine for that. I am happy I got it. Wife doesn't know yet.

Someone asked what you can do on this that you can't on a treo...
    The screen real estate is much larger than the treo so looking at spreadsheets is a lot easier which I need to do. Also you can make and not just edit powerpoint slides which I also need to do. And again because of the larger screen you can see regular websites more easily than on the treo. I love my treo. It isn't an either or for me. I like both and will use them differently.

Btw, the OP was right (and I was wrong!). Although cingular subsidizes it, I didn't have to sign up with them. I will look into using t mobile later. The guy in the store said he tried his t mobile sim card and it didn't work. Some software issue. I am sure somebody will come up with a hack later.

You gotta hold one of these to appreciate its beauty. Pictures don't do it justice.

Congratulations !!!
    You are worse than me .
    I am chocking right now.
    Tell me more . I am excited .
    You got to take your wife to a nice dinner and disclose the secret slowly .
    Do you think it will reaplce your laptop for office documents , email & webbrowsing ??
    If yes , i am sold and will be getting this badboy soon .
  14.    #34  
    i was checking out the forums over at micropctalk.com and I was very happy see that apparently you can get the vaio unlocked and them can use with other gsm carriers. i hope t mobile in the usa

i am even happier now than before. see here: http://www.micropctalk.com/forums/sh...?p=858#post858
    Yes there is hack for unlocking it for Tmo. I don't kno wthe exact site.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Hi Mtreosexual, Just in case it wasn't completely clear I hope you'll forgive me for pointing out that the post that you quoted was a response to your comment that 'it can definitely replace you laptop'. My point was that to do this it would have to replace all of the functions of my laptop (at least all of the important ones) and that it's ill-suited to do this. I wasn't saying it couldn't replace some laptop functions, clearly it can, just that it couldn't (in any feasible scenario) do all that currently I do with with the MacBook.

I guess you're the target market and I'm not. Out of interest, what are the key things that the UX would give you that a POS Treo, WM5 or other smartphone device wouldn't? The 'email , office documents , presentations , wifi' you mention are all doable at least to a degree with, say, one of the HTC Wizard variants or the Nokia E61. Running proper Office rather than the Pocket version or Docs To Go the important thing?

Me too, but I frequently edit the presentations while I'm on the trip and I'm not sure how easy this would be on the UX. A new bit of text, ok, but new slides, image manipulation and import? I could see the small screen being a real limitation for these tasks. Slightly academic from my point of view anyway - I'm mostly using Keynote rather PowerPoint these days. It's so much nicer

Sounds pretty much like you already made up your mind Best of luck if you do get it. Let us know how it goes.

Marcol,

The screen on treo and other hanhelds is not suited for editing long powerpoint or other office documents & conversion can be cumbersome. Laptops are cumbersome at the airport & in the airplane . This thing is easy in a cab airplane and other places.You can take to the golf course . I think this will replace my laptop almost completely .The screen size andresolution is phenomenal. Also more space in my bag & less weight on the shoulders.

I use keynote . It is impressive with all the fancy transitions & others , however you have to make sure you carry a VGA cable/adapter ,cause most
    institutions & auditoriums do not have the fancy advanced connectors available in the powerbook & imac . Powerpoint can be run and transferred to a windows computer easily, keynote will leave you hangin dry .
    Yes there is hack for unlocking it for Tmo. I don't kno wthe exact site.
    I found something here: http://mobilitytoday.com/news/sonyux_180_unlock.html

Have you ordered your UX 90 yet?
  17.    #37  
    I found something here: http://mobilitytoday.com/news/sonyux_180_unlock.html

Have you ordered your UX 90 yet?
    I am debating which one to get .
    The all black ux90, with 16gb flash memory looks appealing, but i am not sure if its worth another 1000 bucks.
    Congratulations !!!
    You are worse than me .
    I am chocking right now.
    Tell me more . I am excited .
    You got to take your wife to a nice dinner and disclose the secret slowly .
    Do you think it will reaplce your laptop for office documents , email & webbrowsing ??
    If yes , i am sold and will be getting this badboy soon .
    Everyone's different with different jobs, situations, needs, etc. For me I don't need/want to give up my laptop. (I just don't want to carry it everywhere either!) I have the laptop in the office at work. I have a desktop at home home and another laptop at home to carry around room to room there as needed. Then I had the treo for everything in bewteen. What I wanted was something that fits the gap between all of those (the treo 700 p is wonderful, but it is a bit small in the screen and doesn't have all the software I want/need). The UX 180 is great. Could it completely replace a laptop...that's tough. It can do a lot. The screen was better than I thought. It's small (4.5 inches I believe) but you really can see it pretty well. (and as I said the 40 + years old eyes are starting to go a bit and I see the screen fine) . Would you want to see that screen all the time? That's a personal decision. You are a physician right? So you walk around a lot in the hospital from room to room with different patients? It could be great for you. But it's nice to have a full-size screen and keyboard at times, no? You can't keep your laptop too? I would guess the UX 180/90 could comfortably do 75% of what many people need. I still think there are at least 20 % tasks that are better done on laptop. (I mean if you have to carry a lot of cables, port replicators, extra batteries, etc then you have obviated the advatgaes of the UX 180 in the first place. Sometimes a laptop, in certain circumstances, might be the better choice). As I said, for me it wasn't either or. The UX is a wonderful addition to my gear that will take over a lot of what my laptop did and some of what the treo did. But I will keep both the treo and laptop too. I need to find out if there is a driver for the BT think outside Key board . That would help a lot.(You don't want to write any long documnets with the UX 180s keyboard. The treo keyboard seems more comfortable to me personally, but i need to use the 180 more).Those guys at micropctalk are great too. they have come up with all kinds of hacks and solutions. they are a great energetic community over there. Thanks for introducing me to that site. They have some of the passion that used to be here before when the treo 600 first came out.
    Last edited by southbound747; 07/25/2006 at 11:34 PM.
    I am debating which one to get .
    The all black ux90, with 16gb flash memory looks appealing, but i am not sure if its worth another 1000 bucks.
    Is it that much more? I haven't really used the UX yet. I just left it to charge after I bought it this evening. I will tell you later about the heat build up. My understanding is that the Flash version runs cooler. Is that important you? $1000. important? The guys over at that site are swapping out the hard drives to put in 60 gb. Do you need that kind of storage? Me, I am ok with 30 gb since this isn't my only pc and i will keep my 60 gb video ipod for entertainment. The 16 gb flash drive is definately sexy but I prefer having 30 gb. For another $1,000 you could save that to upgrade to the "next latest and greatest" in 12 to 18 months, no? (and that might be 30 gb flash) Why not just get the UX 180, isn't it cheaper? And as we now know you DONT have to get cingular service. you said you just need the wifi at work.
  20.    #40  
    Is it that much more? I haven't really used the UX yet. I just left it to charge after I bought it this evening. I will tell you later about the heat build up. My understanding is that the Flash version runs cooler. Is that important you? $1000. important? The guys over at that site are swapping out the hard drives to put in 60 gb. Do you need that kind of storage? Me, I am ok with 30 gb since this isn't my only pc and i will keep my 60 gb video ipod for entertainment. The 16 gb flash drive is definately sexy but I prefer having 30 gb. For another $1,000 you could save that to upgrade to the "next latest and greatest" in 12 to 18 months, no? (and that might be 30 gb flash) Why not just get the UX 180, isn't it cheaper? And as we now know you DONT have to get cingular service. you said you just need the wifi at work.

Here are the advantages for 16 gb flash.
    sony claims it is 3-4 tims faster speed . Akibhara news video on micorpc talk do not show it to be that fast .
    About 30-40 minutes more battery time than ux 180.
    No fan noise.
    Flash memory data can be easily restored if machine breaks down or drowns .
    The all black unit looks awesome .
    The flash unit has CF slot (4gb card about 150 bucks, 8 gb will be availble soon ) and sony memory stick ( 2gb ) . The storage seems to be around 20-22 gb.
    You are right the next machine may be a better upgrade. 1000 bucks should be saved for next gadget in line .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast