Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, after 5 different 700w that Verizon had sent to try to fix my problem, they finally agreed that just maybe a different model would be the answer.

i decided on the Motorola Q and there are some minor things about it that i dont like, it kicks **** compared to the 700w.

Wireless Active Sync works flawlissly. I wasnt aware of how nice it is (when working) as it never really worked well on the 700w. I had many issues with syncing, it basically had a mind of its own. But with the Q,the mail arriving is almost simultaneous with when it arrives at my desk

So for anyone that is fed up with the 700w, you might want to try to switch. But I honestly held out for as long as i could giving the 700w a chance, i didnt know what i was missing til now.
    I am on day 10 of my 15 day trial and am wondering whether I should change my 700w for a Q. Do you miss anything at all about your 700w, if so what is it? Have you found anything that you could do on your 700w that you can't on the Q?
    I went the other way. Actually, I went 700w-Q-back to 700w.

I liked the form factor of the Q. The call quality is good, BT is excellent.

But the keyboard ont he Q I don't like and I didn't get used to it after a month.

I have had no problems with Wireless ActiveSync. works great for me It would suck to go through 5 phones though!
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I am also on day 3 of my trial and the only thing that I can't do on the q that I could do on my treo is edit tasks, but 3rd party software will allow me to do this. So far I'm loving the Q.
    I used EVERY phone for at least a month (i730,Q,6700,650,700w) and decided on the 700w. Q is great, wireless sync worked on every phone I had, now I don't even use it. But now that Verizon has CPOP active in my area, I will probably install it again. Bottom line, the Q is a phone w/benefits, the 700w is a PDA that mnakes phone calls. BY FAR the nicest blend b/t a PDA and phone on the market. Easiest to use, slows up on occasion but they all (even the Q) do.

If you don't care about the extra's that PPC has to offer over SP, then you MAYBE can say that it "kicks ****" over the 700w. But considering what the 700w does, you're comparing apples to oranges. You probably didn't need a 700w in the first place if that's your opinion of the Q...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I agree with you, but in reality I am not seeing too many things that I can't do on my Q that I could do on my 700w. There seem to be some minor things, which 3rd party software can fix, but what are the major things? Can someone point these out, maybe I wasn't a power user on my 700w to really notice. Push is coming to the Q and who needs a touchscreen if the unit is made to be completely one handed.
    what about editing excel and word docs?
    What about editing Office documents?
    You beat me by less than a minute, Lawrence. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    There seem to be some minor things, which 3rd party software can fix, but what are the major things? Can someone point these out, maybe I wasn't a power user on my 700w to really notice.
    I've looked hard at the Q and most of the 3rd party apps I run have Smartphone equivalents. However, there are no Smartphone versions of these prioritized apps:
    Access to LogMeIn - Logmein Remote Control
    Fitness and Diet - Expose MyPersonalDiet
    Free Secure Memos - Flatfish TOMBO
    My Favorite Entertainment Apps
    -- Doublebit Software Pocket TV Browser
    -- DreamQuest Gin/Hearts/Spades/Rummy
    -- Handmark Monopoly 1.01

Once equivalents are made available, I will consider the Q. I like the looks of it and the fact that there is more available memory. It will be quite costly getting all of the accessories (adapters, cards, cases, etc.) for the Q, however. Therefore, I don't want to compromise on features/functions.

One more thing. The thing that appeals to me is that Smartphone apps must be 100% one-handed since there is no touch screen support.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I thought I read that there are 3rd party apps that allow you to edit docs, I have already seen one for excel documents. In reality I never edited docs on my treo700w, so its really isn't much of a concern to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    I thought I read that there are 3rd party apps that allow you to edit docs, I have already seen one for excel documents. In reality I never edited docs on my treo700w, so its really isn't much of a concern to me.
    You can edit Excel spreadsheets using PTab but there's not been a mention of an MS Word-compatible editing program yet.
    Not being able to cut & paste is a HUGE drawback IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    I went the other way. Actually, I went 700w-Q-back to 700w.

I liked the form factor of the Q. The call quality is good, BT is excellent.

But the keyboard ont he Q I don't like and I didn't get used to it after a month.

I have had no problems with Wireless ActiveSync. works great for me It would suck to go through 5 phones though!
    Same here.

I spent 6 weeks dealig with the Qs shortcomings and finally decided to switch back.

The Q is dog slow. Typing is an exercise in futility, as no matter how hard you try, the Q simply leaves out certin keypresses. It's incredibly annoying when trying to punch out a quick SMS.

I loved the the screen abd form factor of the Q, but it just couldn't close the deal for me. I'm much more appreciative of the Treo 700w I've switched back to. She works like a charm (even if she is a lil chubby ;-)
    you're a chubby chaser .....

:-)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCutter
    Same here.

I spent 6 weeks dealig with the Qs shortcomings and finally decided to switch back.

The Q is dog slow. Typing is an exercise in futility, as no matter how hard you try, the Q simply leaves out certin keypresses. It's incredibly annoying when trying to punch out a quick SMS.

I loved the the screen abd form factor of the Q, but it just couldn't close the deal for me. I'm much more appreciative of the Treo 700w I've switched back to. She works like a charm (even if she is a lil chubby ;-)
    I like em a little thick in the rump myself...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    KStewart, what is the name of the woman in your avy?
    my Q isn't any slower than my old Treo 700w. in all actuality, it feels faster in that it never bogs down due to low memory. edit office docs? how much editing do people do on their Treos? i suppose if you have to then the Q isn't for you. the Q does what i believe "most people" need: phone, email, internet, exposed keyboard, and contacts/calendar. what i also believe is that "most people" don't use 1/2 of what these devices offer.

my .02
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Does cross posting between SITES matter? Heh...Deja Vu all over again...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    the Q does what i believe "most people" need: phone, email, internet, exposed keyboard, and contacts/calendar. what i also believe is that "most people" don't use 1/2 of what these devices offer.

my .02

Obviously, you have no way of knowing what "most people" need my friend. Maybe the Q is what "you need". The Q doesn't have, (or is capable of doing), what "I need" so I bought and am loving the 700W. How long can this same boring no-win topic go on for? You cannot comapre the Q and the 700W against one another; It's apples and oranges.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast