Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21  
    what i know is that they both do much of the same. as for what "most people" need/want, much of it is being told in Motorola's last quarterly earnings release. so yes, one could extrapolate that the Q is enjoying great popularity. one could also look at how the Treo 700w has done (by reading most reviews and the like) and safely say that the device has problems when heavily taxed. perhaps you are one of those that needs to edit their documents on the go. as for the comparison, i can, along with others that have, compare the two devices. "obviously" they don't have to be the same to do so.
  2. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #22  
    LOL! that's like comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai! Whatever helps you justify your purchase I guess. As for the 700W being "taxed", I don't have any memory problems after following the advice of others found on these forums. I can run all the prgrams that I need without crashing the 700W.
  3. #23  
    I played with one in CC today.
    I was impressed by the screen. Keyboard ain't that bad. I haven't seen the 700w.
    If this thing does not reset, or slows down with apps and can multitask.It's good competition for Da Treo 's.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam
    LOL! that's like comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai! Whatever helps you justify your purchase I guess. As for the 700W being "taxed", I don't have any memory problems after following the advice of others found on these forums. I can run all the prgrams that I need without crashing the 700W.
    you are so right! the treo 700 is the world's best Hyundai. as for my purchase, would you like to buy my 700w? advice? there is none. you can't create memory, only close programs and reset at will. maybe it works without goodlink. i really don't care. so happy without the brick.
  5. #25  
    I am one of those that switched from the Q to the 700W. The Q was what brought me into the store, I took it back after the 1st week and tried the 700W. It has now been a month and the 700W is what I kept. I didn't like the the thinner form factor after all. The Q is as wide as the 700W but thinner, making it more more awkward in my case. The battery life was not as good as what I wanted. The last thing was that I realized was that I wanted a PDA and phone, not a phone and browser.
  6. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrafied
    I am one of those that switched from the Q to the 700W. The Q was what brought me into the store, I took it back after the 1st week and tried the 700W. It has now been a month and the 700W is what I kept. I didn't like the the thinner form factor after all. The Q is as wide as the 700W but thinner, making it more more awkward in my case. The battery life was not as good as what I wanted. The last thing was that I realized was that I wanted a PDA and phone, not a phone and browser.
    Isn't the Q wider and longer than the 700W? With the much needed extended battery, The Q appears to be even fatter than the 700W.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    my Q isn't any slower than my old Treo 700w. in all actuality, it feels faster in that it never bogs down due to low memory. edit office docs? how much editing do people do on their Treos? i suppose if you have to then the Q isn't for you. the Q does what i believe "most people" need: phone, email, internet, exposed keyboard, and contacts/calendar. what i also believe is that "most people" don't use 1/2 of what these devices offer.

    my .02
    Could it be that it "feels" faster because you're smoking crack?

    I was constantly closing apps on the Q because it would begin....to.....crawl... after a while due to too many apps running (4 or 5 proceeses would usually bring it to a halt).

    Here's what kills me about this entire discussion: The only shortcoming that I've experienced with the 700w in comparison to the Q is its size, and possibly price. These differences are easily recognized at the store. They don't sneak up on you a few weeks after purchasing the phone.

    The Q, on the other hand, has numerous, serious shortcomings that eventually become show stoppers. And editing docs was NOT one of them (for me). My ancient Clie T series was faster then the Q at any task you can think of. I mean come on, the Q had problems inputing numbers to be dialed! Type in the area code, wait, wait, and finally all three numbers appear. Infuriating!

    And I don't want to hear this "you must of had a bad unit then" because a co-worker has a Q, purchased a week or so after mine and is constantly grumbling about the very same issues. Now when he comes over the cube with Q in hand looking for help, I just show him my 700w and shrug.

    Prospective Q buyers: Consider your purchase carefully. I kept my Q far beyond the 14 day return period and came to quickly regret that decision. None of these phones is perfect, but some are definitely better than others.
  8. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #28  
    My Q is far from being slow enough at dialing to consider dropping it. I went from a Treo 650 so the comparison may not be the same. It is currently getting email via wireless sync, syncing my calendar via active sync and I am watching MIB all at the same time. Whoa... and a call just came in. No slow downs and the movie is playing smoothly in TCPMP. I love the form factor. The battery was better on my Treo. My calendar syncs just fine. The only big thing missing is no native sync of outlook notes. Then again the Treo needed 3rd party software just to be loud enough. The phone on the Q is excellent and sounds much better than my Treo.

    Don't get me wrong.. these are different devices. There is much more software out there for a Treo, W or P. It is more flexible and more powerful. It is also larger and much more $$$. I am pretty happy with my Q and think I am going to keep it.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCutter
    Could it be that it "feels" faster because you're smoking crack?

    I was constantly closing apps on the Q because it would begin....to.....crawl... after a while due to too many apps running (4 or 5 proceeses would usually bring it to a halt).

    Here's what kills me about this entire discussion: The only shortcoming that I've experienced with the 700w in comparison to the Q is its size, and possibly price. These differences are easily recognized at the store. They don't sneak up on you a few weeks after purchasing the phone.

    The Q, on the other hand, has numerous, serious shortcomings that eventually become show stoppers. And editing docs was NOT one of them (for me). My ancient Clie T series was faster then the Q at any task you can think of. I mean come on, the Q had problems inputing numbers to be dialed! Type in the area code, wait, wait, and finally all three numbers appear. Infuriating!

    And I don't want to hear this "you must of had a bad unit then" because a co-worker has a Q, purchased a week or so after mine and is constantly grumbling about the very same issues. Now when he comes over the cube with Q in hand looking for help, I just show him my 700w and shrug.

    Prospective Q buyers: Consider your purchase carefully. I kept my Q far beyond the 14 day return period and came to quickly regret that decision. None of these phones is perfect, but some are definitely better than others.

    Toejam, given that i use Goodlink, the Treo would need to be continuously reset. If i tried to "surf the internet" or "use the camera" it would come to a screeching halt. My Q doesn't do that. The battery on my Q lasts me into the evening without a charge (remember, i'm a heavy goodlink user). My Treo's battery would be dead by 11am. So if you don't see any other shortcomings beyond size and price, then it is you that must be smoking the crack. I like my Q and don't miss my 700w one bit. It's as simple as that.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    my Q isn't any slower than my old Treo 700w. in all actuality, it feels faster in that it never bogs down due to low memory. edit office docs? how much editing do people do on their Treos? i suppose if you have to then the Q isn't for you. the Q does what i believe "most people" need: phone, email, internet, exposed keyboard, and contacts/calendar. what i also believe is that "most people" don't use 1/2 of what these devices offer.
    If people bought what they need the market would be completely different. I think more than half of gadget purchases are swayed by "what can I buy to impress my friends ?"

    If we gonna talk about "need", I think everyone should approach each gadget purchase as if they ahd to convince their boss to pay for it. "Tell me Jim, why should I lay out $400 and $60 a month for you to own a Treo, how will that effect my botton line ?"

    Most people would be stuttering for a half hour with that one....and the boss repsonding with a GTFOH

    OTOH, people work for the hard earned money and if they wanna spend $600 for the latest and greatest Treo so they can stream audio or watch Seinfeld reruns, more power to them, whatever makes them happy, their entitled....but don't tell me about" need" at that point....that's a "want" not a "need".
  11. 2_hotty's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #31  
    I had a 700w before I tried out the Q for two weeks. I couldn't wait till that next Monday to return the Q. I hated it.

    Everything you do on the Q, has a delay. EVERYTHING. Push a button, wait a few seconds. Push another, wait again. It was sooo frustrating. This was in everything you do, launch programs, dial numbers, whatever, there was always a delay.

    The form factor is great....when it's in your pocket. When you're using it though is a different story. Seeing that it's wider and taller then the Treo, and had sharp corners and a funky non-pleasing casing, it actually feels bulkier and clumsier when in use.

    Oh yeah, I had to reset the Q more then my Treo. I was resetting twice a day, so I hard reset the whole thing, didn't add anything, and still had to reset it here and there. It's not bulletproof.

    Not having the ability to cut and paste pissed me off at least a half a dozen times in the 2 weeks I had the phone.

    Heres one, try marking a group of emails as read WITHOUT doing it one at a time.

    Battery life was crap.

    I didn't expect that the Q would make me miss my Treo as much as it did. Like I said, I couldn't wait to switch back. I was testing the Q out to see if it was something we should switch to at work. After my test, and what I found out, no one switched.
  12. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #32  
    I have both and prefer the Q for everyday use....but that's just me I guess...I have not experienced any slowness in the Q and the battery life is better than my 700w...although I consider both to be very good.

    I am able to average almost two days with the 700w and almost 4 with the Q depending on use of course.

    Little torn between the keyboards...I like both...they are different but I am used to both of them now and either is fine...if I had to chose one I would say the keyboard on the 700w is better.

    The screen is no comparison with the Q having a much better screen.

    As a phone I would have to give the edge to the Q as well... much better phone than the 700w.

    Bluetooth is also no comparison...with the Q being much better.

    The 700w feels better in the hand...the Q gets a lot more attention from other people

    ...There is the feeling that the Q is more simplistic in its interface...which can be viewed as either good or bad....as some may say the 700w is too complicated.

    ...the track wheel on the Q really sucks compared to the ones on Blackberry's...total shame they did not copy the Blackberry track wheel as that would of been really nice...as it is now its almost unusable but still nice to have....and I hope they continue to improve on it.
  13. #33  
    I'm with u, Gex. no slowness, no reason to reset, and greater battery life (while running goodlink). i quickly dismiss any comments regarding its height as it's actually shorter if you include the Treo's antenna (i hold my device from side to side). i agree that the treo feels better in hand, i also know that it feels a lot heavier in my pocket. i find the track wheel to be just fine (having owned blackberries) as it turns/depresses as it should, perhaps you are speaking to its functionality?

    works for those who simply need a good phone coupled with a sharp screen, evdo, exposed keyboard, and email/contacts contained in a slim device with an attractive price.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    If people bought what they need the market would be completely different. I think more than half of gadget purchases are swayed by "what can I buy to impress my friends ?"
    exactly....

    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    OTOH, people work for the hard earned money and if they wanna spend $600 for the latest and greatest Treo so they can stream audio or watch Seinfeld reruns, more power to them, whatever makes them happy, their entitled....but don't tell me about" need" at that point....that's a "want" not a "need".
    sure i will. i don't have a need to watch TV on my device.
  15. #35  
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp

    It's the Q, the Motorola Q. The RAZR-thin Motorola Q is the coolest smartphone in America. It's a terrific voice phone, a dandy music player, and a swell e-mail machine. Just be warned: Expensive service plans mean it isn't as cheap as it appears....

    The video bug and Windows Mobile 5.0's generally ponderous operation (compared with that of the less resource-intensive Palm OS) may also explain why the Q got much slower video frame rates than the Palm Treo 700p, which uses the same 312-MHz Intel Bulverde processor and has a 50 percent larger screen. But I'd expect the Q to feel more responsive than the T-Mobile SDA, the T-Mobile MDA, the Cingular 2125 and the Cingular 8125, all of which use a 195-MHz Samsung processor.

    Besides the stuttering video, I also ran into other occasional bugs, which is not surprising on a Windows Mobile machine. Quitting The Core Pocket Media Player crashed the device. And sometimes it took two or three tries for the Q to recognize a memory card

    The Q's major competitors are from Palm—the Treo 700w and the newer Treo 700p. The 700w is more expensive than the Q and has little to recommend it. The 700p comes with Microsoft Office document editors (not just viewers), has a higher-res screen, runs on both Verizon and Sprint, and is both faster and less buggy than the Q. On the other hand, it costs $200 more and is considerably chubbier. So while the 700p retains the Editors' Choice crown, the Q is an excellent machine and a terrific choice.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    So, to sum it up: There's a lot of problems with the Q, but it's so damn cute!?!?

    Whatever. I use my phone to work, research and close DEALS , not to impress co-workers.

    I consider my phone a tool of business, not a shiny trinket.

    [Last reply to a pointless thread]
  17. robdam's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCutter

    [Last reply to a pointless thread]

    Agreed. To each his own - good luck all.
  18. #38  
    pointless like so many other threads found here. it is topical though and contained within the proper forum. i could care less what pcmag has to say, they're a pc mag to begin with, a pda is hardly a pc. they're no more professional or all knowing than some of us and theirs is just another opinion (reminds me of WSJ's mossburg...barf). what i didn't know is that the Treo is the only device that one can close a deal on. why i come here to Treo Central to find these kinds of things out.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    p what i didn't know is that the Treo is the only device that one can close a deal on.
    He probably hasn't experienced a reset yet.
    I hope it stays the same ...
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMAG
    Besides the stuttering video, I also ran into other occasional bugs, which is not surprising on a Windows Mobile machine. Quitting The Core Pocket Media Player crashed the device.
    Looks like the "professional evaluator" used the wrong version of TCPMP (his symptoms have been described in several forums around the PDA Phone world). Research would have been his friend too.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions