Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Microsoft: Everybody's Buying Windows Mobile
    Microsoft's Windows Mobile division released their earnings report today, and amongst the dull financial statistics is a startling product trend: the number of Windows Mobile powered phones grew by 90% in the past year. There are now more than 100 Windows Mobile phones shipping, from 47 device makers, in 55 countries. Popular Windows Mobile phones here in the USA include the Motorola Q (shown at left), the T-Mobile SDA and MDA, the Palm Treo 700w, the Cingular 2125 and 8125, and the Sprint/Verizon VX-6700/XV-6700. (You can find reviews of all of them and a Windows Mobile buyers' guide here.)

The boom in Windows Mobile devices here in North America has impressed me, too. While a lot of them are made by the same Taiwanese company, HTC, they appear under all sorts of different brand names and on different carriers. Windows Mobile is clearly shaping up to be the dominant smartphone OS in North America in 2007, as Palm OS seems to be restricted to one Treo at a time and Symbian remains an exotic European import that US consumers and businesses never seem to know quite what to do with.

The biggest competitor to Windows Mobile may come from Blackberry, of all things; Blackberry maker RIM has been churning out an extensive line of new handhelds catering to individual consumers and RIM execs have been talking about putting cameras and multimedia features into the 2007 Blackberry line.

Microsoft's triumph stands in sharp relief to the fate of Palm OS, which seems to be lost wandering in the wilderness. Palm OS has a lot of appeal because it's quick, responsive, easy to use and has a ton of third-party applications. But there hasn't been a new version of the OS seen on a device in years, and Palm told me point-blank a few months ago that Palm OS 5 can't handle the UMTS networks run by Cingular and many European operators, because it can't multitask voice and data conversations at the same time. Access, the new owner of Palm OS, promises an ambitious Linux-based new version ... uh ... sometime in the future. Hope it's before everyone switches to Windows, guys.

Posted By: Sascha Segan

Tell a friend about this post
    http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/arc.../21/16160.aspx

Disagree?

Surur
    Sadly I agree on the assessment of PalmOS--nice, easy, and at a dead end. No opinion as to the Blackberry. And unfortunately I think sooner or later I will be coming over to WM5 out of self-defense. I want a certain set of abilities and while my Treo can barely do it now I think I'll move to another device when the right device comes up.
    I would be happy with a Linux based OS. Fast, free and lots of development. However, I do agree that Palm's current OS is near its lifecycle.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    I would be happy with a Linux based OS. Fast, free and lots of development. However, I do agree that Palm's current OS is near its lifecycle.
    Well said, to my mind, Palm still brings home the trophy but they better have an alternative shipping within 18 months. HTC's gonna figure out how to stuff enough CPU and memory in the form factor to overcome WM's hunger for resources. MS is gonna figure out how to finish copying Palm's useability.

But unlike PC's, phones are a worldwide market and Symbian is still a strong player.....all it needs is the right overlay and it could sweep in by storm with economies of scale leading it in on a price basis.
  5.    #5  
    Regarding symbian, it is interesting that Motorola is going toe-to-toe with Nokia, and they chose linux and WM to do it. Apparently the Q only costs $158 in parts and labour, and this will only get cheaper in time.

So yes, symbian is dominant world-wide, but the fight is far from over.

Surur

If you're hoping for the kernel source, don't hold your breath. iRiver did the same thing, I have their PMP-140 device which runs on Linux, but they didn't release the source. Technically since their GUI is proprietary, they don't have to release anything. I'm willing to be my life that Palm will do the same.
    Last edited by FrozenCode; 07/21/2006 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

I also agree. I do hope Palm can release ALP (Access Linux Platform) on a GSM Treo which supports 3G before 2007. My reasons are not just because I use Linux in the home and at work but also because I see it costing consumers less than buying one with Windows Mobile installed. What ever OS they choose having more functionality already found in other devices such as Bluetooth Voice Activated Dialing would be good for business. Consumers are more money conscious lately than before and are more likely to choose a smartphone that offers more features built in than one that cost the same or even more but offers less features.
    How can you discount suspicious activities at PALM camp related to Linux. I suspect ALP to be released elsewhere while Palm bringing their own Linux based OS. And I dont think it will take time. I suspect Palm is working on that since Cobalt failure from Palmsource camp. Linux will haunt Microsoft at all OS related wars, mobile or desktop. Mark my word for it
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Everybody's Buying Windows Mobile ?

Except Treo users apparently:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/8792/

A mildly ominous article has been posted by the Motley Fool's Tim Beyers. Dated June 30, 2006, the article goes into considerable comparing and contrasting Palm's fiscal year '06 standings vs. the previous two years. Several reasons for the company's first quarter of negative cash flow since 2003 are also illustrated. Of particular interest is a statement concerning a 63% rise in Palm's inventory in Q4 2006. The article does not mention if any distinction is made between older, leftover PDA inventory or unsold Treo inventory. Recent rumors have pointed to high return rates for the 700w. Additionally, Treo 700w's sales figures have been vaguely disclosed as, at worst, disappointing or at best, slower to ramp up than expected by Palm. These factors combined with the relentless competition by other handset manufacturers could account for much of the negative news. A recent article on Forbes points to an upcoming smartphone price battle due to competition with Motorola.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Everybody's Buying Windows Mobile ?

Except Treo users apparently:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/8792/
    Is it the OS, or the 32MB RAM?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Surur
    Or the 240 by 240 screen?
    I very much disagree that "everyone is buying Windows". Nokia is selling Symbian based phones by the millions. The fact that the U.S. is out of sync with the rest of the world isn't surprising. There aren't any Symbian smartphones on the CDMA providers. And the data doesn't seem to count the Symbian phones selling on Cingular and T-Mobile. The argument that they are only smartphones doesn't count since by those standard the Motorola Q, Cingular 2125, and T-Mobile SDA shouldn't count either.

What this shows is that people are buying what the network vendors offer for sale. And in the U.S. there is an unusually large amount of Windows based devices offered by these vendors. Go to Europe and Asia and you can't swing a cat without hitting a Symbian smartphone of one flavor or another.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680

Surur
    One handed useability......all those trashy mag reviews don't help.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I'd like to see an article entitled "Everyone's RETURNING Windows...". I danced with the 6700 devil twice the past year and just can't stomach WM5. I returned the first one and am now hoping to find someone who would rather dance with the Devil and trade a 700P for my 6700. That, or it's going to e-bay.

I like WM5 as a PDA. As long as your a geek and love to click-click-tap-tap WM5 is fine. It's like the old Mac vs PC article...if you want to tinker with a computer you buy a PC...if you actually want to get something done you buy a Mac.

I think the same holds true (as well as all the associated exceptions, I'll grant that) with WM5 and POS. Anyone else find it interesting that POS has lost massive market share and is now looking at Linux....sorta like Apple did?

Dunno if this is true or not, but someone told me last night that the most recent stats show that Apple has actually doubled their market share in the past year and are now at 12%!

Ahem...but...anyway...everyone is buying Windows, I guess...
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  15.    #15  
    12% of the US laptop market. With the laptop market being about half of the PC market, they increased their US market share to 4.8% from 4.4%. (WOW!! Maybe its because they can run Windows now!) Their worldwide market share did not even hit the radar, at something less that 3.7% (who knows how much less, they were in the "other" category).

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    12% of the US laptop market. With the laptop market being about half of the PC market, they increased their US market share to 4.8% from 4.4%. (WOW!! Maybe its because they can run Windows now!) Their worldwide market share did not even hit the radar, at something less that 3.7% (who knows how much less, they were in the "other" category).

Surur
    Always there to kill optimizism, aren't you.
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
  17.    #17  
    I'm your stats man. If there is one thing which is true, is that big changes take a long time.

Surur
    I'm your stats man. If there is one thing which is true, is that big changes take a long time.
    It helps if your market share is moving in the right direction

Worldwide total smart mobile device market

Symbian: Q1 2004 41%, Q1 2005 61%, Q1 2006 69%
    MS: Q1 2004 23%, Q1 2005 18%, Q1 2006 12%
    RIM: Q1 2004 6%, Q1 2005 7%, Q1 2006 8%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005041.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006043.htm
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol

Ouch

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol

No Linux Mobile ? All I had was this from February...seems we can';t quite get these pundits to agree.,

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...&dist=morenews

The current leader in mobile phone technology is UK-based Symbian with a 51% market share followed by Linux at 23% and Microsoft mobile OS at 17%.
    The above site seems to be basing future predictions ona report by these dudes predicting the Borgs will be in the lead by 2010

http://www.tdgresearch.com/pdfs2006/...edMobileOS.pdf

with Wm at 29%, Linux at 26% and Symnbian at only 22%....

Cadalys seems to be pointing in another direction however.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 07/23/2006 at 12:24 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast