Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Given the following parameters, which phone do you recommend that I buy for her...

1. We are on Cingular
    2. She is technologically challenged
    3. She needs to be able to read and respond to POP3 email on the fly
    4. She will definitely want a QWERTY keyboard, and not one that is too challenging as far as shared keys

I was leaning toward a Blackberry device but don't know squat about them or how easy they are to use.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Given the following parameters, which phone do you recommend that I buy for her...

1. We are on Cingular
    2. She is technologically challenged
    3. She needs to be able to read and respond to POP3 email on the fly
    4. She will definitely want a QWERTY keyboard, and not one that is too challenging as far as shared keys

I was leaning toward a Blackberry device but don't know squat about them or how easy they are to use.
    BB, it doesnt get any easier than that
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I agree. The BB is the way to go. The Blackberry 8700c is on Cingular so that is the one she should get. It has a full QWERTY keyboard and it's cool. I have the 8700g from T-Mobile and love it! And I don't know anything about BB either. I'm still learning. Just got it on Monday.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    I gave my wife a Treo 650. She graduated from a Staples all paper "Month at a Glance" calendar. Tehcnologically challenged doesn't begin to describe her. :-)

But in 10 minutes she understood how to put appointments, etc. into the Treo. She loves the phone. Uses maybe 4% of its abilities. Doesn't want to be bothered with a BT headset. I have it set up to sync to the computer at home but she never does. It's kinda like magic to her that all of her contacts are in Outlook and in the Treo.

Email. Well, I'm working on that. The part that is hard for her to understand is that if she deletes an email on the Treo it will also be deleted on the mail server. I think once she realizes that her inbox on the computer and the Treo are fully synchronized she'll be fine.

Three words of advice. Pink Boxwave skin. Ask surur. He knows.
    What about a Motorola A630 or whatever it was? I don't know if it meets all your specifications, but it does have a keyboard and is simpler to use than a BB. Nicer form factor too.

I guess I should clarify the email situation. I have my wife's email set up on my Exchange Server and she accesses it with Versamail so that's why the inbox will alway be the same on the Treo and the home computer (which logs into the server via VPN thus accessing Exchange).

The comments about the Blackberry. I had real problems with my Blackberry and keeping the desktop computer and the BB in sync. I didn't have BES. I didn't want to use the *.tmo.blackberry.net address I got. If you go the BB route really run the email hard to make sure it ain't clunky.
  7.    #7  
    Is the A630 easier to use than a Blackberry? If so, that might be the ticket.
    Email is the only application you mention so it must be at least primary. It is for most of us, I'd guess. Another vote for the BB, which I miss -from a current MDA user. The 8700 should fit the bill (though it's my second language and I'm still not sure what fit the bill means.)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    My vote is also for the 8700. It's got a very simple gui as well as a qwerty keyboard. If i had a wife, i'd get her that phone lol.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Treo...got my wife a treo....treo
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Treo...got my wife a treo....treo
    I agree (see my earlier post). Get your wife a Treo.

But here's a thought? Why don't you ask her? If she's like my wife she's already seen others in her circle with a Treo and my wife is enormously proud to have been an early adopter.

What I mean by that is that while your wife (like mine) is probably a non-techie she will almost certainly be (ahem) sensitive to the latest trends in fashion, and that includes what you carry as a phone.

Treos are really popping up in the mom community at my kids' school. They're trendy. That is probably AT LEAST as important as ease of use.

Remember these words. Pink Boxwave skin. Seriously. I told one of the moms at my kids' school about boxwave.com and the very first thing she bought was that pink silicone skin for her Treo 650. And she's enormously proud of it.

The Power of Pink. (copyright, all rights reserved, by surur, 2006). http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=20
    Last week I was on the train headed to a meeting. I sit down. Across aisle is a late 30s woman talking on a 700, can't tell if it's a p or a w until she reaches into her tote bag and yanks out a large Franklin-Covey with leather cover and all the "tools" flips madly through the calendar and then the phone book (then I see the Windows blue of her screen when she tips it down before dialing her next call), meanwhile another woman in jeans sits next to me, pulls her 650 from her backpack taps three times to change an appointment in her Calendar and is done. I get off to go to my meeting (non-profit stuff). The treasurer (a real estate professional) brings a 2" 3-ring binder along with her new 700p (having driven over her previous one the week before) and does her accounting in the binder. After the meeting I ask the treasurer if she needs help with Excel in Docs to Go. She replies that my Treo is my business and my life and I don't put the non-profit data on it. Go figure.

Some other friends are a four Treo family. Dad has it going on, mom uses maybe 10% of the capabilities and the two daughters are at about 40%. All are happy.

Get your wife a Treo. If she doesn't have much interest in being online the 650 will be fine, otherwise a 700p is indicated.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I wish my wife would go for a 700p - it would be perfect for her. The problem is she doesn't like the form factor and wants something smaller. We are on Sprint and for now I forward her pop3 account to Yahoo and she looks it on her Sanyo 7500. It's not a very practical solution but she likes a small fone. I was thinking about the BB 7130 or to wait for the Q to come out on Sprint.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Is the A630 easier to use than a Blackberry? If so, that might be the ticket.
    Never tried it, I've seen it at a bunch of stores though, it looks harmless

Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    I wish my wife would go for a 700p - it would be perfect for her. The problem is she doesn't like the form factor and wants something smaller. We are on Sprint and for now I forward her pop3 account to Yahoo and she looks it on her Sanyo 7500. It's not a very practical solution but she likes a small fone. I was thinking about the BB 7130 or to wait for the Q to come out on Sprint.

Any suggestions?
    Is the older Samsung i500 an option?

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Is the older Samsung i500 an option?
    It's a good suggestion - I wonder if I could get Chatter to work on it? I bet that an older version would work with no problem. The fact that it's not EVDO would not bother my wife (it would kill me) but it just might work ok. I wonder if the 2 way button is sufficient for surfing the web and retrieving email?
    MVT, contemplate a Motorola Q. Not sure why one would want to spend twice the money on a device that will be used in a limited fashion. Does all the blackberry can do and more. Yes, Qwerty keyboard, sharp screen, email/internet/contacts/calendar and phone (camera too) on a windows operating system. Most importantly, it comes in a slim design.
    BB 8700...Corporate heavyweights don't have the time to Geek around and be saavy with a device so they are user friendly IMO. Its as easy as candy...Blackberry candy, just chew and swallow.
    at&t iPhone3G
    The Q is not an option. He wants to use Cingular.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'm wondering if one of the older BB devices might make as much sense only because she may totally hate it and if I pick up a used one and she hates it, no big deal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast