Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read all the online reviews I can on the E61. I have a few questions for Treo users that have one or have tried one.

1.) Has anyone tried the eReader software for books? They have a symbian version but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the E61.
    2.) Similar question for SplashID and SplashPhoto.
    3.) What alarm program is anyone using? I currently use mobileClock as a wakeup alarm playing an MP3.
    4.) Keyboard feel? I tried a Motorola Q and something about the keyboard just bothered me. I suppose it was the harder keys and the fact all the special keys are all in different places than on the Treo.
    5.) Web browser? Did you like it more or less than Blazer?
    6.) Auto keypad lock? I don't think it has this. I've loved this on all the Treos and don't understand why none of the phone makers seem to do this.

Thanks for any answers!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    1. No, have not tried myself. Others may have.
    2. SplashID works fine. No syncing like Palm Conduit though.
    3. I use an app called Alarm Manager and it works. Others prefer HandyClock.
    4. Keyboard is pretty good, I prefer it over the Treo's. The wider spacing of the keys make it easier to type for longer. The stiffer keys take a little while to get used to over the lighter and more positive click of the Treo's.
    5. The browser is the best thing on any phone! Blazer feels so 90's when I use the browser on E61. You can actually go to normal web page now...
    6. No built-in autolock but a couple of apps have been converted from S60v2.
    Ereader is downloadable & works.
    Splash ID works like a charm .You can IR palm data of splash ID to E61. You will need to crossgrade it from palm to E61 .Splash Photo works , syncing being addressed . Both these will need crossgrading.
    Alarm manager works great.
    Keyboard is good . The joystick in the middle can be annoying to the thumb after long use.
    I agree with browser being great . I mean this is the right screen size for browsing .
    There is a software for keylock.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. I need to decided whether it's worth it for me to get the E61 or not. I'm reaching a frustation point with weird intermittent problems on the Treo (currently 700p, previously 650) which you have to reset for. Like yesterday when I couldn't connect to websites anymore. Or I had it set to vibrate then ring but it only rang with no vibration (I missed two calls on Saturday because of that). A reset fixed it but I hate these sort of problems where you don't know it's not working right.

How has the E61 been in terms of stability? Any issues? If there was 3G service in the U.S. I would definitely get one to try out, without it I debating if it's worth it to move.
    Not a single crash on my E61 since I turned it on 3 weeks ago. I've loaded: Mail for Exchange, Autolock, internet radio, Adobe PDF, Podcast, Googlemaps, Smart Movie, & Remote desk.
    Reset? What reset? Not even the threat of reset :-) It was so refreshing to be able to use and experiment with the phone without having to keep thinking about resets.
    Hi,
    Can someone tell how E61 handles Outlook synch of contact/categories ? Can the contacts be grouped (like on T650) ?

TIA andrew
    Don't know about Outlook sync.

The contacts can be grouped and assigned ringtones.
    Does it support Skype calls natively like benQ set? Atleast 3rd party solution like Eqo etc.
    Last edited by Ehsan; 07/14/2006 at 12:10 AM.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    Does it support Skype calls natively like benQ set? Atleast 3rd party solution like Eqo etc.
    No. Not yet. Rumor has it that Skype is working on a native client for S60v3 phones.
    Here is a review of the E61 from the point of a Treo 650 user.
    http://www.choveka.com/rants/?p=5
    Treo 600 | Unlocked | AT&T --> Treo 650 | GSM | Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by sguen
    Here is a review of the E61 from the point of a Treo 650 user.
    http://www.choveka.com/rants/?p=5
    I don't agree with what he is saying, having used both these phone.
    Yeah, I can't agree with him either. Especially over the keyboard. As for the slowness, well do you want to get a reset faster or get the job done but a little bit slower? :-D
    The reason I buy E61:
    - getting bored with treo 650 style
    - wifi
    - 3G
    - the price is reasonable

The reason I resell it:
    - slow processor
    - too many steps in doing anything
    - no touch screen
    - internet browser does not support wap pages
    - keyboard is really bad : hard and feel like a hard jelly, no to mention the keypad position is weird, especially letter L,M

I am now testing XDA EXEC
    - I dont think I like it either

I think I must stay with my UGLY and RELIABLE Treo 650
    I have switched from the Treo 650 to E70. The 650 offers more flexibility and allow much customization that the Symbian OS doesn't. However, overall, the nokia is a much more solid and most importantly stable device. After getting used to the OS, I don't miss much of Palm OS anymore. I love the ability to Wifi when it is available and the more compact design. I can do pretty much everything on both device.

The only thing I miss is the treo forum. I miss the community, and that is why I still come back once in a while.

I think many of you will find the new Nokia E series very compelling. I hope you guys try it out.
    Hope you enjoy your nokia

I believe you will give The Next Treo a try

We are all getting bored of the 2yrs old Treo
    But we dont hate it either

Treo Hollywood will be the solution for all of us
  17.    #17  
    I disagree about the next Treo, it will have WM5 and a 240x240 screen. Those will make it unattractive to me.

I don't understand why people try devices that clearly don't have a touchscreen but then complain they lack a touchscreen. One handed use is more important to me in a phone device.

I'm using an E61 for the past couple of days. I have a lot of positive things to say about it and a few negatives. I plan to write up something later, but I'm undecided between it and a Verizon Treo 700p I have. The higher data speeds in the U.S. on the 700p are extremely compelling. If I had to choose between the E61 and my Treo 650 GSM, I would choose the E61. It's a better phone, better format for email, and better choices on web browsing. The wifi is good to have at home, but I really miss any U.S. UTMS. If it had that, I would certainly move to this device, but for now I'm undecided.
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan
    - keyboard is really bad : hard and feel like a hard jelly, no to mention the keypad position is weird, especially letter L,M
    I don't agree with your opinion of the keyboard but each to its own :-) What I don't understand is what is so weird about the letters L and M? They are exactly where they should be...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I love everything in my T650 with chattermail ofcourse. I use my treo primarily for business communication via email and SMS. Ofcourse Agendus Pro is good to have to organize things. I don't need the wifi as I have unlimited data plan. I don't like Treo because the form has been very very old.

I presume that Symbian series 60 has the same ease of use as POS. However, my previous experience with Nokia 9500 is not. I heard that the UIQ 3.0 is a great improvement (SE M600i).

I had tried E61 but dislike the keyboard (too hard), form factor (too wide, not pocket size), slow processor, and no touch screen.

If you don't need a wifi, may be SE M600i can be a consideration. I am taking a serious look at M608c (it is M600i variant but with 2.5G technology).
    Need WIFI, 3.5G, slim and light form factor for Treo to win me back from Samsung i600 !!!!!
    I have had absolutely no trouble with keyboard .
    It is easily pocketable in my scrubs and any other pants am not sure how samll your pockets . It is thinner and way lighter than Treo. No antena sticking out , so is less annoying to my pocket . The os is slightly slow but not a huge noticebale difference. .
    Off course no touch screen.
    But it is a stable device wihout any resets , wif and great screen and an awesome stereo . My year old 650 is still resting in corner . The only time, i am coming back to Treo is with the 800 series .
    I know chattermai and agnedus is something E61 desperately needs. Hopefully iambic would listen to symbian folks .
    Those two softwares will make E61 a killer machine .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast