1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any imput on using this device as a phone--either VOiP or otherwise if available. I know it has the option to run on Cingular's EDGE network--but what does that entail really? And, can I do anything with this device on a T-Mobile plan?
    I could be wrong, but the Cingular edge plan pertains to data. I'd say voip would be your best bet at any type of voice solution.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    Yep, voip is your only method of using it as a cell. And its not really the same is it. It looks like a great device the keyboard just looks so un-usable

I dont think you could even pair it with your mobile and use it that way (and have a cheap mobile in a bag or sumthing) Actually i'm 99.9% you cant.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    I used to have a UX50, I felt like it had the best keyboard i've ever used! i really wish sony would have come out with a CLIE phone. They really have a lot of innovation in their products. Too bad they dumped palm. =(
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    If you look on mobilitytoday, it shows that the site admin has figured out a way to unlock the sony, which is cool!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I had a UX50 for a week and a half, converted it from Japanese to US language. It works neatly with VOIP using a Tekelek client (on Cisco SCCP protocol) i didn't try Vonage· but no reason it couldn't work that way) It also browsed the web just fine with a TMobile SDA on the Edge network; connected with a USB cable. Edge is really too slow to do VOIP. There is a CF slot on the UX50 (vs a built in Edge GSM modem on the 180p) so a GSM CF phone might work if there is one.

It's a neat laptop, but the keys are not great and hard to type on vs. A Treo or E61.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680