1.    #1  
    Well not really but Samsung has one that is smaller and thinner than the Q, and unlike the HTC jobs has one handed QWERTY functionality.

Samsung is OFFICIALLY launching Samsung SGH-i320 MS Smartphone in Europe !
    July 04, 2006 [MS Smartphone]

Unfortunately HTC - the manufacturer of majority of Windows Mobile phones sold nowadays - is too complacent to understand, that users need mobile phones with QWERTY keyboard for single handed usage - and is not producing such phones at all (!), therefore it is good to see that time to market of Samsung is shorter than that of HTC, Palm and Motorola! Here comes the thinnest (it is smaller and thinner than Motorola Q) MS Smartphone in the world with QWERTY keyboard for single handed usage:
    no broadband tho

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5347.html
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 07/05/2006 at 06:46 PM.
    Palm talks about competitors validating the space, and in a way I think they are right. When a consumers comes to a wall display with the E61, Q, Treo, Hp and Samsung all in line, he is much more likely to feel he is not going out on a limb buying one of those devices, and that he is not entering a new, unsupported, experimental field.

The nice thing about the WM competitors is that it provides uniformity plus variety at the same time. That may prove to be a very important feature.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    The more stuff they put out there, the more competition and the more we save money as they do price cut frenzies trying to gain marketshare....of course once somebody wins, we screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The more stuff they put out there, the more competition and the more we save money as they do price cut frenzies trying to gain marketshare....of course once somebody wins, we screwed.
    That didn't happen in the PC market.
    (Unless you consider working with Windows every day being screwed.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    That didn't happen in the PC market.
    (Unless you consider working with Windows every day being screwed.)
    Lemme see ?

1. If the OS comes with defects and security holes, MS now wants me to pay for a subscription to close them.
    2. If I choose to use any product other than the ones that come with windows (i.e. MSIE, WMP, etc) I must suffer the performance hit of having significant portions of those MS apps loaded and consuming resources at the same time as I am using those chosen alternatives.
    3. Our purchases of "new workstation boxes" has dropped from about $6,000 per unit in 1993 to about $2,000 today......just about everything you buy component wise (CPU's, memory, MoBos, optical drives, hard drives, etc) has dropped by at least half due to economies of scale.....yet the OS still costs the same amount, despite having a production cost of $1.
    4. The dollars I spend on buying those OS, are transferred to cover losses has in other markets like X-Box.
    5. WGA is labeling legitimate purchasers as "pirates" (including the USAF and Proctor and Gamble....you see any red dots on Redmond buildings, leave town ) and the only way to correct the problem is to spend a say or 2 reinstalling windows.
    6. After all the promises of Vista all I seem to be in line for is:
    -pretty stuff
    -need to throw out all machines less than 3 months old or less than $3500.

Yup, I'm getting screwed.
    ... and the same thing will of course happen when all devices are running Windows CE. (Heck, the biggest thorn of Windows ... the Registry and it's associated clutter from faulty uninstalls ... is still a problem with these devices.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I like the looks of that Samsung - a step in a good direction. Too many drawbacks still on that device: WM5 Smartphone instead of WM5, No touchscreen, Tri-Band?, no Wi-Fi. A little more time and those kind of features would really sell.
    Lemme see ?

1. If the OS comes with defects and security holes, MS now wants me to pay for a subscription to close them.
    2. If I choose to use any product other than the ones that come with windows (i.e. MSIE, WMP, etc) I must suffer the performance hit of having significant portions of those MS apps loaded and consuming resources at the same time as I am using those chosen alternatives.
    3. Our purchases of "new workstation boxes" has dropped from about $6,000 per unit in 1993 to about $2,000 today......just about everything you buy component wise (CPU's, memory, MoBos, optical drives, hard drives, etc) has dropped by at least half due to economies of scale.....yet the OS still costs the same amount, despite having a production cost of $1.
    4. The dollars I spend on buying those OS, are transferred to cover losses has in other markets like X-Box.
    5. WGA is labeling legitimate purchasers as "pirates" (including the USAF and Proctor and Gamble....you see any red dots on Redmond buildings, leave town ) and the only way to correct the problem is to spend a say or 2 reinstalling windows.
    6. After all the promises of Vista all I seem to be in line for is:
    -pretty stuff
    -need to throw out all machines less than 3 months old or less than $3500.

Yup, I'm getting screwed.
    Sad we blame Microsoft for what other people do... hackers will find a way into anything... look at what mac is going through.

funny, we don't blame ford/chev/honda when people steal our cars. We blame the people who stole the car.

And if production cost of windows was $1 we would have a lot more OSs in the world... wtf are you talking about... a rant is ok, but darn, make sense.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Really a good fundamental point that is not mentioned enough. Blaming MS for security issues is kind of like blaming Toyota for having the number one most stolen vehicle. If some Unix or Linux OS were the most popular on the planet, the bad guys would be focusing their attention there.
    What the Mac is going through?

??? What are you talking about? You mean the security companies that are crying the sky is falling so they can sell some software? Nobody has yet released any real harmful virus/worm/program against the Mac. This doesn't mean it's immune, but lots of security issues with Windows ARE Microsoft's fault. It's not just due to it being the largest installed base.

Quote Originally Posted by theog
    Sad we blame Microsoft for what other people do... hackers will find a way into anything... look at what mac is going through.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    A truly analgous situation would be that Toyota knows their car is the number 1 target for thieves and yet designs the car with known security flaws (locks don't work, etc.) and then charges a subscription for security thta should have been addressed in the design of the car!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    A truly analgous situation would be that Toyota knows their car is the number 1 target for thieves and yet designs the car with known security flaws (locks don't work, etc.) and then charges a subscription for security thta should have been addressed in the design of the car!
    Or cars being sold only with door locks, and manufacturers charging extra for immobilizers and car alarms, and daring to charge a subscription fee for Onstar and Lojack. Oh wait... they are already doing this. The nerve of these people!

I guess the problem is Microsoft is forcing people to buy their security subscriptions. Thats so awfull of them. Oh wait.. they are not? You can still subscribe to Norton? What were people complaining about again?

Oh they are complaining that hackers never stop trying to break into Windows! The nerve of Microsoft!

Surur
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog

funny, we don't blame ford/chev/honda when people steal our cars. We blame the people who stole the car.

And if production cost of windows was $1 we would have a lot more OSs in the world... wtf are you talking about... a rant is ok, but darn, make sense.
    Since you chose the car analogy...

1. I don't recall ever getting a recall notice from Chevy, Ford, Dodge saying they discovered a defect and I have to pay to correct it.

2. What is Mac going thru ? I assume you mean something akin to what PC users are going thru fretting about doing daily updates to spwayware, malware and AV programs ? Something the rest of the world doesn't know about ? Has Apple started something akin to "Patch Tuesday " ? See the thread about Trojans....I don't see Sophos telling people to drop their Macs and get soemthing else

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/ne...rtmid2006.html

In addition, the continued dominance of Windows-based threats has prompted Sophos to suggest that many home users should consider switching to Apple Macs, to shield themselves from the malware onslaught.
    3. I am not aware of any performance hits if I take out the air, fuel and oil filters supplied with the car and replace them with a manufacturer of my own choosing. In the MS world, sure you can put in other manufacturer's oil, air and fuel filters, you just have to leave the old ones in thereby making the vehicle waste gas and HP pulling thru 2 sets of filters.

4. I am not aware of any car manuafacturer overcharging for their cars so they can enter new markets. The existemnce of competition makes such an assumption outlandish.

5. I am not aware of any vehicle monitoring systems rensdering my vehicle useless when it "thinks" i may have a stolen vehicle. GM isn't telling me "Oh we made a mistake about the stolen thing.....but to make your car run again, you are gonna have to reinstall the engine and transmission.....at your own expense.

yes car thgeives may be capable of breaking into any vehicle but not using back doors created by GM. They are not calling up OnStar and saying "Hey my license is XYZ123 and I am locked outta my car....please open the doors for me". Hackers aren't getting into windows because hackers are smart...hackers get into windows cause MS includes hidden API's designed to make it easier for other MS products to function while making it more difficult for other competing products to function.

When MS finbally discovered e-mail, it figured it would distinguish itself by auto opening attachments.....well attachments containinbg viruses then autoexecuted. People using every other program were taught to download the file, scan it and then open it but the new improved MS way was easier and wound up being the "Typhoid Mary" of e-mail.

Same thing with concept viruses....no other office suite was susceptible to them.

And if ya gonna argue...don't sidestep the issues and talk about rants, address the topic...if anything there isn't true, tell us why you think so. Am I wrong that you can't uninstall WMP, IE etc ? Am I wrong that WGA doesn't mistakenly label some machines as having pirated software ? Am I wrong that AV software vendors are saying dump windows ? AM I wrong that is an MS update damages my system, it's my problem ? Am I wrong that MS uses Windows profits to cover the massive losses on their X-Box line ?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    What the Mac is going through?

??? What are you talking about? You mean the security companies that are crying the sky is falling so they can sell some software? Nobody has yet released any real harmful virus/worm/program against the Mac. This doesn't mean it's immune, but lots of security issues with Windows ARE Microsoft's fault. It's not just due to it being the largest installed base.
    If you are a software designer that is building viruses you are probably going to want to infect the most systems possible.....why else do you write one of these things in the first place. If we accept that as being true, then why on earth would you target a MAC when they do not have near the penetration in desktop systems. If MAC was the dominant distributor of computers and operating systems I guarantee you it would have a variety of viruses targeting it.
  15.    #15  
    Let me see if I wanted to make a name for myself as a fast driver would I wanna beat a Toyota (the bigest selling production car) in a race or would I want to beat the ferrari (the fastest production car) ? Writing a virus for windows is like the proverbial "taking candy from a baby". Writes a virus that brings Mac down and you become a god in the hacker community.
    Let me see if I wanted to make a name for myself as a fast driver would I wanna beat a Toyota (the bigest selling production car) in a race or would I want to beat the ferrari (the fastest production car) ? Writing a virus for windows is like the proverbial "taking candy from a baby". Writes a virus that brings Mac down and you become a god in the hacker community.
    Buy a Mac. All of your problems are solved.
  17.    #17  
    Get me one that runs AutoCAD and I'm in ....and not a Mac that runs windoze