Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, I'm new to PDA phones but certainly not new to PDAs. I've owned almost all of 'em... from the first iPaq and the Jornadas to the Handspring devices to the Palm Pilots, IIIs, Vs, E series, T series, etc.

When I headed over to the Sprint store two or three weeks ago, the first phone I saw was the 700p. What a good looking device! Sure, it's chunkier than a normal Palm, but it's not morbidly obese and the color scheme is attractive. The high resolution screen is nice, and the data access speed was positively blazing from a person who is used to GPRS.

However, as a PDA nut I'm also aware of the Palm platform's limitations. For me, the most important are the lack of real multi-tasking and the continued trailing of Palm in device popularity. Now I know the Treo is by far the most popular PDA phone out there, but I'm worried that Palm is going to get bought out or something and everyone is going to stop developing for it, the software landscape is getting bleaker by the day anyways.

The PPC-6700 is an interesting device too, and certainly more setup for the person who wants to browse the web. Bigger keyboard, wider screen (although not as bright and vibrant)... but even though it's not technically a lot bigger, it feels like a friggin' brick in one's hands. This is NOT a sexy device.

However, the web rendering in IE is miles ahead of Blazer on the sites I visit, and the ever-widening field of software is tempting. Plus, there's multi-tasking.

So, what I'm asking you Treoites is: obviously, some of you are hardcore Palmophiles and would never choose anything else. I respect that! But as for the rest of you: surely a Pocket PC device was a choice at some point. Why did you choose the Treo, and what makes it a better device?
    I chose the Treo 650 over the T-Mobile equivalent of the 6700 (the MDA) because it syncs easier with my workstation, and because it is about 10,000 time easier to use day-to-day. The Palm OS may eventually die but in the meantime it makes my life easy.

Others really like the MDA/6700/8125. There's only one way to find out, and that's take it for a test drive. Your happy Sprint sales human will be happy to give you one or the other. You'll decide what works best for you.

I must admit there were many nice things about the MDA and at some point I may revisit the phone (or the next generation of it).

One of the great features of TC is that there are fairly reasoned and balanced opinions on the Treo vs. whatever else there is. Yes, there is a lot of "Treo uber alles" stuff going on. But there is also rational thought occurring. I must now run away.
    If you do a lot of SMS or emails, then the treo seems to work for me better.

I used the 6600 and loved the web browsing in landscape mode...so if you do that a lot then the PPC works great.

I would really use the wifi option which is a plus for me on the 6700...but not having an exposed keyboard was the deal-breaker for me. :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

B4Times:
    Battery Life
    Exposed Keyboard

And now with 700p:
    Extra Memory
    EvDO

My coworker has the 6700, and he has to use the extended battery in order to get reasonable battery life out of it...the thing is bricky enough as it is. I'm used to it by now, and won't have it any other way: 1800Mah Standard or Bust!

You don't mention the 700w, i suppose the question overall is Sprint based then. If Sprint releases a Pocket PC Treo with 64MB RAM, it will have all the specifications in the list above and would thus be an attractive device in my eyes.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    if those are the only choices you have, then

-buy the 700p if you plan on emailing/texting more than 3=5 times a day due to its superior form factor (no slideout keyboard)

-buy the 6700 if you don't plan on emailing/texting with any real frequency as the slideout keyboard wouldn't become an issue for you.

if those aren't your only two choices

-contemplate the Moto-Q if you want something that does it all with a lot less weight and bulk.

-contemplate the 700w if you don't care for the palm op system (i for one don't) and don't plan on running any 3rd party applications (available memory becomes an issue at that point)

good luck
  6.    #6  
    I'd love to try something Verizon, however paying $75-85 a month for a basic voice plan with data versus $30 a month for a similar plan with Sprint is not my idea of a winning proposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by abstraxion
    I'd love to try something Verizon, however paying $75-85 a month for a basic voice plan with data versus $30 a month for a similar plan with Sprint is not my idea of a winning proposition.
    Wouldnt sprints plan be around 45 (30 for voice, 15 for data?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I agree. Here's oalvarez's take on the matter:
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    perhaps what is most refreshing is walking into a verizon store after spending some time at a sprint store, you will immediately see why you pay a bit more for their services.
    lol
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    then don't! it is that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I agree. Here's oalvarez's take on the matter: lol

that's right. that's exactly right. laughter is what comes to mind when dealing with anything sprint.

you nailed it.
  11.    #11  
    oalvarez, hold much Verizon stock? First you respond to me saying that I think Verizon is too expensive with an indignant "then don't! it is that simple", and then you talk about how laughter is "what comes to mind when dealing with anything sprint". I don't know about you, but having a plan that costs less than half and, for me at least, having decent stores and great coverage isn't too bad.
    and why exactly do you need "multi-tasking" on a 2x2 screen?? Lots of people say oh I need multitasking but it is not needed in a pda. What is the difference? In Palm os devices, you leave the app & it closes & then you come back to where you left off. In MS devices you leave the app & it does not "close" but you still to leave that one app to get to another one. In fact all these apps will stay open in the background when you move fronm one to the next but it will slow down your system considerably. You have to remember to manually close those apps in the background when you are done with them. I can't see any benefit whatsoever with multitasking in a pda device. Multitasking on a computer makes sense because you have a big screen & are able to have multiple apps or windows open at once. You see my point?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    My wife wanted to try an 8125 since her 650 was having some issues.

I played with it for a couple of days and I still feel Windows Mobile is a peace of junk.

There is no 1 handed navigation built in. You can get some software (free even) that will allow you to access the start and close buttons 1 handed, but it still wasn't very seamless.

Having to actually use the shift and function keys to type since there is no keycaps equivalent, that I can find, is a pain.

And searching for software is a joke. Sure there is some really nice stuff out there, but I don't want to spend $1000 on software to do some basic functionallity

Nor do I find it any more stable that by 650. Granted it took a year for me to get my 650 down from 1 reboot a day to 1 every 5 days, thats because I was running some 30+apps daily plus another 100+ apps for specialized use. I've loaded 4 things on the 8125 nad have had to reboot it daily for her. And having 802.11 on my phone is not the holy grail to me that a lot of people say is a deal killer for them. In fact, I've used it ONCE in 2 weeks. and that one time was because I hadn't moved the sim to the phone yet.

Of course, you have the WM Evangelists out there that swear by it.

You need to decided what you need to get done, and how you need to work that will determine what you need to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by allonon
    Of course, you have the WM Evangelists out there that swear by it.
    this is TreoCentral....i think u meant to say Palm Evangelists. windows users are the minority here.
    Ok, as a 6700 owner (and a former 650 and long time PalmOS user), there are two parts to your question.

PalmOS vs Windows Mobile:
    I still believe the PalmOS has a better UI and set of apps. However I went with Windows Mobile for DRM-type apps. I wanted to hook into my Slingbox and listen to XM. I've gotten the bugs out of my wireless ActiveSync issue with Exchange and fairly happy though I miss QuickNews and a few other Palm apps.

6700 vs 700w:
    I went for the 6700 for the better screen and WiFi. Both were worth my choice but hate typing on the 6700. Switching around the screen stinks and the keyboard layout is cumbersome. Using the stylus to type on a virtual keyboard is not great either. If you don't care about WiFi or the better screen, the 700w is your choice for Windows.

Note: I won't keep my 6700 long after I see a better design with WiFi I think.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    1. I was worried about the keyboard issue w/ the 6700 myself but when I got it the keyboard really didnt bother me. Yeah you have to pull it out to type and there is no denying the better keyboard is the treo's. I do a decent amount of texting and I don't mind using the pull out keyboard.
    2. I too use to think "who needs WIFI on a phone?" well ever since I got 6700 I'm sold! I mainly use it in places where I have poor signal/ no evdo and its come in handy. I don't use it everyday but still extremely glad I have it as an option.
    3. The only problem w/ the 700w is the screen and wifi. Several programs won't work with the square screen configuration.
    I will be moving to WM5 because I want to use Skype.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I find it funny how some people are willing to spend 1 year to finally get the Treo stable enough but complain about a WM device after only spending a few days or a couple of weeks on it.

I have now had my 8125 for about 4 months and it took me a few weeks (not a year) to get it to behave exactly as needed. I have one-handed use comparable to my 650 but it is much more stable than my 650 ever was. I have had no more than a few (less than 4 or 5) resets since I've owned it. To top it all off, the 8125 is much more capable and configurable than my 650 and it has great battery life.

I'm nor WM evangalizer, I just use whatever gets the job done. As of right now, the 8125 is it, but if Palm debuts something that does it better I won't hesitate to jump back to the POS camp.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Agreed with what jlczl said. I have only bought 2 software apps for my 8125. It does everything my treo did, is much more stable, and yes there is a use for multitasking. POS doesn't leave off where you closed it at. This especially made me mad in Blazer - not being able to jump back to the same page I was on. Same with Docs2Go. I can leave PIE, my spreadsheet I'm working on, a calendar entry I'm taking notes in, GSPlayer running in the background and I can jump quickly to each one right where I left off. Couldn't do that with POS. It gets the job done quickly and more efficiently than the Treo. Keyboard is a matter of preference. After getting used to the 8125 I prefer it now. Buttons are nice and big. One-handed use only took 1 free app (smartskey) to make equivalent to Treo.
    I feel bad for all the people that are still hangin' on to Palm OS in this day and age. Sure its "simple" to use, but for me, thats just where it goes wrong. It's too simple, almost dumbed down version of an OS.

True that WM5 phones aren't as "one handed" like the treo's but I think they'll get there soon. Like the new Treo's that'll be out soon, Treo form factor but with WM5! But its too bad Palm lost my interest already.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast