Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PC Mag gave the 6700 the nod over the 700w but the 700p took the Editor's Choice over both.....check the reviews....even if ya don't like their conclusions, lotsa good descriptive info.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    PC Mag gave the 6700 the nod over the 700w but the 700p took the Editor's Choice over both.....check the reviews....even if ya don't like their conclusions, lotsa good descriptive info.
    Link?
    I wanted to elaborate a little bit on the screen size aspect of the two phones. The Treo has a 2.5-inch diagonal, 320x320 display. The PPC-6700 has a 2.8-inch diagonal, 320x240 display.

The upshot of this is that while the Treo can display more information (80 pixels more vertically) the PPC-6700 is better for most multimedia applications.

Almost all video you'll find online is in a 3:2 aspect ratio (or an even "wider" aspect ratio like letterbox). On the Treo, the media is displayed with black bars at the top and bottom (and with a 2-pixel bright-white border around the whole screen). In landscape mode on the PPC-6700, the media is displayed full-screen (with no border).

To give you an idea of what this means I prepared a little graphic:

What we're basically talking about is the difference between a 15" TV and a 20" TV, proportionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryOtter
    Link?
    See post 29
    What we're basically talking about is the difference between a 15" TV and a 20" TV, proportionally.
    Agree that MM apps may be better on the physically larger screen as at that level of compression ya ain't exactly gonna see any detail but my math shows a 2.8 / 2.5 ratio as being equivalent to a 15" diagonal screen versus a 16.8" diagonal screen.

The main drawback of the less resolution will be in text on screen whereby 8 lines of text at a given size will show on 320 x 320, only the equivalent of 6 lines will show at 320 x 240
    See post 29
    Ah, that's for the 700w which isn't in the running I also found standalone reviews for the PPC-6700 and Palm 700p on PC Mag, but I thought perhaps you were referring to a head-to-head review that I wasn't able to locate.
    ...my math shows a 2.8 / 2.5 ratio as being equivalent to a 15" diagonal screen versus a 16.8" diagonal screen
    You're not taking into account the effective diagonal size of the video on the 700p. The 2.5in is the diagonal of the whole 320x320 screen. If you're viewing a 320x240 pixel video, the effective diagonal is 2.2in.

It's not the detail that is in question, it's the overall image size. The resolution and compression quality of the video is identical in both situations.
    Last edited by MerryOtter; 07/30/2006 at 05:40 PM.
    The main drawback of the less resolution will be in text on screen whereby 8 lines of text at a given size will show on 320 x 320, only the equivalent of 6 lines will show at 320 x 240
    On the PPC-6700 I saw, there was less screen "chrome" in Pocket IE than in Blazer.

On my 700p, Blazer takes two "rows" at the top for buttons and the address bar (and, for some reason, a "half-row" of unused blank space at the bottom of the screen). I am able to see 11 lines of text when viewing this forum with the Large font, and 15 lines with small fonts.

I will have to check out how many lines I can see on the 6700 with Pocket IE, in landscape and in portrait.

Since almost no web page can fit completely in either display, PDA users will have to scroll anyway. So it's a difference ultimately of scrolling 6 times vs. 7 times in the end... not a significant issue.

But the video being more than 25% bigger on the PPC-6700 is a pretty significant factor, if you like the multimedia thing.
    Last edited by MerryOtter; 07/30/2006 at 05:24 PM.
    Ah, that's for the 700w which isn't in the running I also found standalone reviews for the PPC-6700 and Palm 700p on PC Mag, but I thought perhaps you were referring to a head-to-head review that I wasn't able to locate.
    It compares the Treo 700w to the 6700 in the end of the article. Also there are links on the pages that let you compare them side by side.

Rememebr the following is pre-release of the 700p

No perfect smartphone solution is available right now, in our eyes. For power, we'd recommend the Sprint PPC-6700 or its Verizon cousin. Both are smaller and lighter than the Treo and have Wi-Fi, a faster processor, and a bigger display than the Treo's, but they aren't quite as usable one-handed. For e-mail and phone use, we like the BlackBerry 7130e, which has a slim form, light weight, and excellent sound quality (though you'll have to be comfortable with its unusual keyboard). And if high-speed networking isn't important to you, well, the Treo 650 is still out there on store shelves.

Here's the link from the last page of the review.

http://www.pcmag.com/compare_product...&pt=0&sid=1713
    http://www.pcmag.com/compare_product...&pt=0&sid=1713

Just type "700p" or "6700" on the top of any PC mag web poage and it takes ya to the reviews
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1966264,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1870470,00.asp
    Shadowmite himself is trying to trade his 6700 for a 700p but is having trouble finding any takers. Any 6700 fans who own a 700p might want to contact him for a trade.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123