1.    #1  
    I'm in the market for a WM5 pda/phone similar to what the MDA from T-mobile offers. I like the form and the slide out keyboard.

My question is, is there anything better than the MDA? would like it to be GSM just like the MDA.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    The HTC Universal is considered better by some because it has a faster processor and a VGA screen. It's a lot bigger though and is not quad band so it works best on T-Mobile but may work on Cingular depending what band they use where you're at.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    The MDA or any of its other versions (K-Jam, Qtek 9100, 8125, etc) are probably the best all around PPC phones available right now. However, if you don't mind carrying it around, the Universal is better to type on if you have large hands and the screen is awesome in true VGA mode.

If it doesn't need to be GSM you can try the 6700 at either Sprint of Verizon. YOu lose some of the cool features of the MDA but you get EVDO speed for internet.
    I used the MDA and gave it back to T-Mobile and (after a detour through Blackberryland) came back to the Treo 650.

Having said that I'm eagerly watching for the update to the MDA -- the HTC Hermes/TyTN. I want to give the phone a second shot. I figure by now Microsoft's crack teams of engineers have figured out how to make ActiveSync work so a Windows Mobile device can talk to a Windows XP workstation and suck data from an Windows Exchange Server, all without causing the human being in the middle extreme brain damage.

If only T-Mobile would actually offer some decent phones directly. Geez. Bought my unlocked Treo 650s (2 of them) online. Prolly have to buy the TyTN online too.
    I looked at and really liked the MDA, form factor and all. But I held off buying when I heard the TyTn was coming. I want the tri-band UTMS
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The T Mobile MDA can be unlocked and flashed with the latest I mate rom. It becomes an I Mate K Jam and supports Microsoft Direct Push email! I have this working on an SDA as well. Details are on www.xda-developers.com.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I used the MDA and gave it back to T-Mobile and (after a detour through Blackberryland) came back to the Treo 650.

Having said that I'm eagerly watching for the update to the MDA -- the HTC Hermes/TyTN. I want to give the phone a second shot. I figure by now Microsoft's crack teams of engineers have figured out how to make ActiveSync work so a Windows Mobile device can talk to a Windows XP workstation and suck data from an Windows Exchange Server, all without causing the human being in the middle extreme brain damage.

If only T-Mobile would actually offer some decent phones directly. Geez. Bought my unlocked Treo 650s (2 of them) online. Prolly have to buy the TyTN online too.
    Why did you have such a big problem with the MDA? I've read a few other of your posts and seemed like you couldn't wait to return it. Me on the other hand, cant wait to get rid of my Treo 650( I actually sold it today) and move on to the MDA... only thing im worried about is getting my medical programs, but I think many of them come in WM5 format as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by treofun
    Why did you have such a big problem with the MDA? I've read a few other of your posts and seemed like you couldn't wait to return it. Me on the other hand, cant wait to get rid of my Treo 650( I actually sold it today) and move on to the MDA... only thing im worried about is getting my medical programs, but I think many of them come in WM5 format as well.
    Geez. This work thing is interrupting my TC habit. (Work bad, Treo good).

The simple answer is I nearly liked the MDA and even now I walk by the T-Mo store and think I should get another one. The main thing that holds me back now is the impending release of the Hermes/TyTN.

The primary problems with the MDA were ActiveSync -- which more or less got solved -- and the keyboard. The keyboard for me was the subjective deal killer. I just didn't like the way the keyboard felt. The keys were too low so that it felt like I had to punch them down into their little holes with my thumbs.

Otherwise the MDA is nearly there for me. WM5 was infuriating, sure. Way more clunky than the Palm interface, in my opinion. But the wifi and the total connect to Outlook over the air -- loved it. Did I mention the wifi?

I do prefer the non-sliding keyboard, just as a form function. But I could probably live with a sliding keyboard if it feels OK in terms of tactile sensation.

Bottom line: the deal-killing decision that made me turn the phone back in was that my thumbs didn't like it.
    regarding the universal: everyone that I know that has used one complained about sound quality.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)