Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Well I am in need to make a change to my current device, a little background before I get into things I had previously owned a Cing branded 650 which gave me nothing but massive headaches, I had only 1 3rd party which was Snapper and everything was just an issue with that device, so I moved to a Cing BB8700C.

The 8700 has been an absolutely wonderfull device, good enough phone quality, great volume and speaker phone, nice screen and the best possible in email as you already know.

But.... as good as the 8700 is, it severly is lacking in the PDA side ala apps and tasks and such, all you can do is just add an appointment that gives you an alarm which brings me to the HTC 8125.

From the looks of it, this device does it all, I have read the phone scoop reviews which score quite high, it seems that this phone has all the features a current convergence device should have, great screen, good build quality and good voice quality, working BT as well.

But there is no dealers that have the device out in a live device, they are all dummy models.

The 8125 seems like it does everything I could want, but I was just curious as to your opinions between the (3) listed devices.

In regards to the Treo models, I would have to move to Verizon if I wanted a 700 which can be done, but my current host has the 8125 so if its the same type of product and just as good I might as well stay since they are implementing the new high speed network in my area next month.

Just curious basically for some realworld input, obviously I will be giving up the BB email experience, but gaining alot on the PDA front to balance things out providing outlook doesnt completely stink on WM5.

Any thoughts and input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    8125 does do it all. I have had one since mid-February. The WiFi is just great - use it all the time. I'm not sure what you mean by high-speed network in your area. If you're referring to EDGE then that's good news if you're using the 8125. The other high-speed network - UMTS/HSDPA that Cingular is rolling out won't do you any good since the 8125 only supports GPRS/EDGE. EDGE is quite a bit faster than GPRS but still isn't all that fast - I use WiFi whenever available.

I've briefly seen/used a Treo 700W. Wasn't all that impressed. It does have the keyboard on the front, however I have grown to like landscape mode on the 8125 so I have the keyboard out a lot anyway. You will have the EVDO network with Verizon on the 700W if you want really fast data speeds. I think a lot of people have memory issues on the 700W since it has much less memory than typical WM5 devices.

In terms of email - both devices will give you great email functionality if used with an exchange service.

If you're happy with Cingular, I would just stay with them and avoid the hassle of switching to Verizon. Much cheaper data rates on Cingular as well! Factor that into overall cost.
    I have a Treo 650 and have had an 8125. Since I travel internationally the unlimited international dataplan was crucuial so I went with the 8700 and love it. It covers all of my business needs from e-mail, calendar, tasks, notes and contacts. If I did not travel out of the country I would have kept the 8125. It was a great device and did everything but I did not like the form factor from a one handed perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I have a Treo 650 and have had an 8125. Since I travel internationally the unlimited international dataplan was crucuial so I went with the 8700 and love it. It covers all of my business needs from e-mail, calendar, tasks, notes and contacts. If I did not travel out of the country I would have kept the 8125. It was a great device and did everything but I did not like the form factor from a one handed perspective.
    You do realize that the 8125 can roam internationally, don't you?

I've used it extensively in Europe and Asia.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    You will appreciate the superior software (OS, bundled and options), wi-fi, landscape view (though not always), and keyboard of the 8125. On the other hand, you'll miss the one-handedness of both prior devices, especially the BB. I have the MDA and followed a smilar pattern, although it was through a 7100t. On balance, I probably value the email superiority and even-greater stability of the BB than I do the superior functionality of the MDA. Also, after using the BB, the stylus/touch screen on the MDA seems more like a nuisance than a capability. But, you're right that the BB PIM and other software is truly lame and there is very little after-market stuff out there. I read recently that RIM's CEO said the BB would be getting more multi-media and other capabilities. I'm sure that change won't come soon enough for either of us, but I like the promise of that a lot.

I think txschafers is referring to the unlimited international email that you can get packaged with the BB.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info all,

I am going to give the 8125 a shot, its pretty slick and you can stream howard stern with a nice little app it seams which is good for traveling

I recently have not had as much need for a task manager and appointments calander as I do now, but the BB8700's system for these tasks is incredibly weak. While super solid performance wise on the 8700, if not for the push mail, the device would fall seriously flat.

I am confused though on one thing, in the Cingular store I asked the CSR if the device would run on the new network to take advantage of their new speeds and was told the device is pre-programmed to be able to use the UMTS/HSDPA, I also called data services to confirm this and was told yes again, but every one here is saying no.

Any ideas of who is right or wrong on this one?
    The 8125 will not, ever use UMTS/HSDPA.

That comment ranks right up there with the Sprint guy who told me the 700p was really Windows CE with a Palm UI on top.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Well let me ask your opinion,

How long before Cingular releases the Hermes? I was told UMTS would be available by the end of this month for my area, so if the Hermes is going to be a nice improvement which I thing its going to be especially how they changed the numerical section of the keyboard and the addition of video on front, scroll wheen, an actual "ok" button and a nicer lookijg back cover.

Do you think its worth it to wait it out? Currently in contract the price of the 8125 is something like $499.00 before 6.5% sales tax

If its not coming out for another 6 months, I would just buy the 8125 and then a Hermes when its available, but if its coming out in the next 30-60 days, I might as well wait instead of spending $500.00 on a phone that is going to be outdated in less than 30 days (network speed wise).

Your thoughts?

Thanks again all..
    If you *can* wait for it, then I would. I wouldn't count on it by the end of this month though. HDSPA will probably only be supported by Cingular's data cards for some time.

Will it be released by the end of the year? I think that's the best bet.

Personally when I upgrade my 8125 it's going to be something with a Treo form-factor. I'm REALLY starting to dispise this slide-out keyboard. (So much so that I'm not sure if my dislike of Windows mobile is partly based on the form-factor of the device.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys: