1.    #1  
    I think the Q-haters will like this. An internal Verison memo from Mobiles tells of Venison's woe's with the Q.

Verizon Wireless is experiencing an unusually large percentage of returns of the Motorola Q since the device launched. Improper customer expectations or incomplete training is causing a significant number of returns. The following issues are causing the majority of the device returns that could have been avoided.

Battery Life Expectations Not Properly Set:
    The Motorola Q is a slim line PDA/Smartphone with the slim form factor, and limited battery life can be an issue. To assist customers with this issue, Verizon Wireless has an introductory offer on the extended battery and door for only $19.99 (a $40 savings). Currently, we are only seeing a 35% attach rate on these batteries.

Attachment Handling Not Properly Communicated:
    The Motorola Q is a Windows device based on the Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone Edition. The Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone Edition does not come with and WILL NOT run Microsoft Office for Pocket PC (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). The Motorola Q will however open email attachments for viewing only. These include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDFs and many graphic files. It CANNOT create or modify attachments or any documents.

Please refer to page 12 of the Motorola Q Launch Document for a detailed comparison between the Motorola Q, Palm Treo 700w and the VZW XV6700.

Inserting Mini SD Cards Cause Issues:
    Memory Cards should be re-formatted or only contain data files when inserted into any device. Each device automatically creates a series of folders that organize the files specifically for that device. Previously unused Mini SD Cards do not present a problem.

Thumbwheel Does Not Work Like Blackberry:
    The Motorola Q is a Windows device based on the Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone Edition. It is not designed to function like a Blackberry. This is a function of the operating system.

Motorola Q Will Not Establish the Data Connection:
    On all upgrades to the Motorola Q or any EVDO device, the old device MUST BE turned off BEFORE performing the initial *228 option 1. The first device to establish the EVDO data connection will keep the connection. Ensure this occurs to eliminate unnecessary calls to the WDTS.

The Interface Changes and is Confusing:
    All Windows devices change the order of the home menu screens and what is displayed based on the most recently used applications. Certain applications, by design, never show in the home menu.

The Touch Screen Does Not Work:
    This Motorola Q, unlike all Windows based and Palm based devices currently in our lineup, does not use a stylus or have touch screen functionality. This is by design to provide one-hand functionality.

Customer Can Not Access V Cast Music:
    The Motorola Q is not a V Cast device and does not support BREW. However, the Motorola Q is a powerful music device that features Bluetooth stereo and incredible built-in speakers. Music can be purchased from the V Cast Music store from the PC and transferred to the device using the included mini-USB cable or by copying the files to mini SD card.

The Motorola Q Does Not Have a Headset Jack:
    The Motorola Q and most currently produced Motorola handsets DO NOT use a standard 2.5mm headset. It uses a headset that uses a mini USB connector. This headset is carried in most locations and is available through D-Fill. Verizon Wireless also sells an adaptor that converts the mini-USB connection to a standard 2.5mm jack so the customer can use an existing headset.
    http://www.mobilewhack.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi/2737

In commentary, i will just add that there does not seem to be any fundamental problems with the device, and the problems seem to be mostly related to expectation. As people become more familiar with the device (from seeing it in the hands of friends etc) they will come to see in on its own terms, which is really on which it should sink or swim.

Surur
    I bet a small percentage of the returns are a result of people 'trying out' the device. I am a Sprint customer in a contract, and I admit I was very close to taking advantage of their 14 day trial offer for new customers. I just wanted to try it out wit no intention of purchasing or keeping the exorbitantly expensive service.

Guess that's the tradoff of carriers having exclusive rights to a particular model.

Also I bet another large chunk of the returns are from soccer moms who think it looks shiek, etc. They get it home and figure out that putting little Johnny's appointments, etc is more complex and technical than they want to deal with.

Just my thoughts/additions to this article
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Something fishy about that article as the Motorola Q DOES have a standard headset jack!
    I think it's a matter of people reading about "the next big thing" or the next "Treo Killer", taking the trial and then finding out that it just doesn't live up to what they wanted to beleive it was going to be.

I hope te vendors start giving multiple pricing tiers :

1. $399 - Treo 700p w/ 30 day free trial
    2. $349 - Treo 700p w/ 15 day free trial
    3. $299 - Treo 700p and I'm keepin the bugger

Bet they make most money off the last ")
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I bet a small percentage of the returns are a result of people 'trying out' the device. I am a Sprint customer in a contract, and I admit I was very close to taking advantage of their 14 day trial offer for new customers. I just wanted to try it out wit no intention of purchasing or keeping the exorbitantly expensive service.

Guess that's the tradoff of carriers having exclusive rights to a particular model.

Also I bet another large chunk of the returns are from soccer moms who think it looks shiek, etc. They get it home and figure out that putting little Johnny's appointments, etc is more complex and technical than they want to deal with.

Just my thoughts/additions to this article
    Be careful with Verizon's "trial period". Those $#*%#&@# lied through the teeth when I demoed my 700w - they told me I'd only be charged for data if I didn't use any voice minutes. Well, the bill came in and it was a surprise. And they went ahead and charged me and ETF and a late fee. Took three months to straighten everything out.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Be careful with Verizon's "trial period". Those $#*%#&@# lied through the teeth when I demoed my 700w - they told me I'd only be charged for data if I didn't use any voice minutes. Well, the bill came in and it was a surprise. And they went ahead and charged me and ETF and a late fee. Took three months to straighten everything out.
    Which is exactly why I fondled the 700w in the store but left it there. I wanted the test drive but didn't want the potential brain damage from returning the phone and possibly having problems like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

In commentary, i will just add that there does not seem to be any fundamental problems with the device, and the problems seem to be mostly related to expectation. As people become more familiar with the device (from seeing it in the hands of friends etc) they will come to see in on its own terms, which is really on which it should sink or swim.

Surur

That is like saying people will like driving a 2 cyclinder car once they get over the fact that its 0-30mph in 5 minutes flat!

The device has limitations- I look forward to Q2.

I bought the samsung a900- slick phone, but the battery is a piece of garbage. I don't talk that much on it, and there goes the battery. If I did actually use it, I'd probably have to return it and get something with a bigger batter.

I'd try the Q out- even pay the premium for Verizon- if it was an upgrade over my treo 650- but I am too worried about battery life and if I am buying something that is hyped as .45", I'm not making it thicker with an extended batter just so it works the way it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Yeah, I didn't feel like it was such a good idea. The sales rep said if I cancelled in the 14 days, I would only be responsible for paying for what I actually used at .45 cents per minute. I said that was ridiculous, as I would use ~ 1500 minutes during that time...which equates to $675! Some trial.

After mentioning this to him, all I got was a blank stare. I don't think he knew what was going on. I also asked him if I would be charged for data, he said no. I then showed him my Slingbox Mobile playing my Tivo and said I wanted to try the Q's version of the Slingbox Mobile software. I asked him if that was ok under the trial. He "wasn't sure." I can just imagine that bill!!

FWIW, I don't think he knew all the terms of the 14 day return policy. There's no way that type of charge would fly.

Nonetheless, I am happy with my 6700. The Q ain't for me.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett
    That is like saying people will like driving a 2 cyclinder car once they get over the fact that its 0-30mph in 5 minutes flat!

The device has limitations- I look forward to Q2.
    What you call limitations others call trade-offs. You dont buy a 2 cylinder scooter thinking you are going to drive a Harley. But the scooter is cheaper, and can go between cars more easily. Same thing.

Surur
    Oh boy - another anonymous internet post, with half-thruths, outright errors, and baseless supposition being viewed as truth. They certainly do put the wack back in MobileWack.

Let me give it a try:

I have a friend who's a Verizon tech support guy who owns a Motorola Q. He says he can talk for 6 hours, watch 2 full-length movies, stream my sling box for 4 hours, all with the Bluetooth and Wireless sync on and still have over 200 hours of standby time remaining. Anybody see any new headlines yet?
    I tired the MotoQ for the trial period and took it back. I had been using the Treo 600 for over 2 years and felt the MotoQ just didn't stack up against it even.

I like the WM5 software but didn't like the thumbwheel, it was very difficult to work (I found myself rolling the wheel while trying to click thus clicking something else).

The second thing I thought was unacceptable is that when you change time zones the Q didn't change. I do a lot of traveling and don't think I should have to manually adjust my time zone (phones do it so why shouldn't the Q).

3rd, while inputting text the first letter of a sentence does not capitalize (you have to manually do this). While this doesn't sound like a big deal it really is.

4th, there is no number lock option so you can input a string of numbers. So you have to push the key that allows the number function for each and every number you input (unless you are dialing).

And last, I did not like not having a touch screen.

Trust me, I'm not trying to knock the Q... just pointing out things I found while using it. I now have the 700w and really like it. I am having some problem with the sync program but I'll get it worked out (the Q has the same sync program).
    Quote Originally Posted by MM Racing
    I like the WM5 software but didn't like the thumbwheel, it was very difficult to work (I found myself rolling the wheel while trying to click thus clicking something else).
    Did you happen to try out the D-Pad on the front of the phone? It's the 5-way button that looks and acts like the same button on the Treo 600. Nice to have choices, that's for sure.
    4th, there is no number lock option so you can input a string of numbers. So you have to push the key that allows the number function for each and every number you input (unless you are dialing).
    That number function key (called the ALT key), when double-pressed, locks the number pad.
    ^^ thanks for that, Kupe. that wheel is a devil, let me tell ya....
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I was willing to take the trade-offs if Verizon wasn't so expensive on data or if a the very least Verizon had deployed EVDO in my area.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Did you happen to try out the D-Pad on the front of the phone? It's the 5-way button that looks and acts like the same button on the Treo 600. Nice to have choices, that's for sure.
    Yup, and that is what I used. Shame the thumbwheel didn't work or I would of had choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    That number function key (called the ALT key), when double-pressed, locks the number pad.
    I must have missed that but I'm not alone because many people have the some complaint.
    I must have missed that but I'm not alone because many people have the some complaint.

pressing alt (or pressing it twice) is almost a standard on pda's for symbols/locking the numberpad

i don't think many others have had that complaint. if they did, they didn't read the manual or leaf thru it at the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    pressing alt (or pressing it twice) is almost a standard on pda's for symbols/locking the numberpad
    It goes back as far as the HP-95LX (1991 or so), through the Windows CE, early keyboards on Treo, the XV6600, and contless other (not the i730 though - until someone fixed it w/3rd party software). It's very commonly seen ... except by folks with preconceived viewpoints coupled with reading aversion.
    I too tried the Q after I bought the 700 to see which one I liked best. Frankly I would have kept the Q if not for the data pricing on Verizon. After having the phone for one week and returning it two weeks later I get my first invoice from Verizon for $265. Of course they adjusted off the ETF but I still ended up paying $50 for a one week trial only using 185 minutes.