Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hengie
    Hey aolumide, How did you get the mail app to have black text on a white screen? I've been tearing my hair out trying to change that. Is that a new theme? Do you know is there is an app to have the LED blink to show I have network? I actually liked that feature since I'm mainly working in buildings without a signal?
    Hengie, yes it's a theme from this website called orange. I'm all for a basic white background, and the Nokia default theme, though ok, just wasn't doing it for me.

There's also another theme on that site called N90_white, or something similar. From the name, you'd think it's strictly for the N90, but it seems to be working fine on my E61 so far. It's a white background as well.

Enjoy!
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Here's the active standby screen with the Orange theme activated:

I've been using the Nokia e61 for a while and actually got one for a co-worker for real-life testing.

It's a very nice phone and I agree with most positive things mentioned here, but regarding user interface, I find the e61 is waaaay behind Palm/Treo:

The lack of touchscreen makes you scroll through lists for ages, but not only that, the lists are also badly designed, having the most frequently used items way down. For instance, when making a phone call out of contacts, I have to select the name, select call (or something rather, using the German version), THEN I have to pick from the next list between things like video call (on a phone without camera!), Voip and normal call... takes ages, it's a pain.

The same is true for for messages: when sending a message from the email screen, I have to scroll through Text/SMS, video, email all the time, while it is more than obvious that I want to send an email if I am on the email part of the messaging application.

Another small example, the calculator: you can type the numbers on the keyboard, but then you have to use the joystick to select the operation (+, -, *, /). Waste of time, and very weak calculator in comparison to Treo.

I find the same type of inconvenient, time-consuming operation in all applications. Talk about settings: they are distributed in five different places all the time. The Treo is opposite: it works the way you want it to work, in a clear and concise way.

However, once my Treo dies, I will be faced a tough choice. The Treo feels better, the interaction is much more straightforward and elegant, but the technical possibilities of the e61 are indeed better.

I guess what will ultimately make the difference for me is the activesynch. The e61 syncs seamlessly out of the box with our exchange server (push), no need for Blackberry infrastructure or other third-party stuff. Why doesn't the Treo have that???
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Clulup I agree. I also miss the D pad for navigation. The E61 joy stick is very stiff and takes more effort to select. I still have my T650, but I don't know if I could got back to the little screen and lack of wi-fi. The T650 was much faster to navigate. I also notice that now that I selected all messages be saved to the memory card there is a long pause before a message is displayed. Does anyone else experience this? Not happy with this latest discovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hengie
    Clulup I agree. I also miss the D pad for navigation. The E61 joy stick is very stiff and takes more effort to select. I still have my T650, but I don't know if I could got back to the little screen and lack of wi-fi. The T650 was much faster to navigate. I also notice that now that I selected all messages be saved to the memory card there is a long pause before a message is displayed. Does anyone else experience this? Not happy with this latest discovery.
    I generally have the impression that the e61 is slower than my Treo. When I open the calendar or the email inbox on the Nokia, it takes a second or so to load the page. On my Treo, the page is right there.

As I wrote, I'll probably get the e61 anyway next time I buy something new, but there are still lots of things which are better on the Treo than on the e61.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    I guess what will ultimately make the difference for me is the activesynch. The e61 syncs seamlessly out of the box with our exchange server (push), no need for Blackberry infrastructure or other third-party stuff. Why doesn't the Treo have that???
    Totally agree about ActiveSync. Its very strange to me that there there is no MSFP ActiveSync being prepared for the Palm OS. After all, a 3rd party company did it for Series 60, why cant palm do it? This is probably why I will get the new wm treo when it comes out for GSM.
  7. iso
    I agree with much of what has been said here.
    I have had my Treo 650 for over a year now, and must admit i am getting a bit tired of it. Not because it does not work perfectly , because it does, but more because I miss something new to play with.

Tried the new Nokia N80, but quickly realised I could not live without the keyboard. Besides, the SymbianOS was slow and non-intuitive.

Back to the 650...

Next I tried the Nokia E61, with nice keyboard, wifi and some other snacks.
    Used it one day and yet again realised I could not live with it. My primary concerns were poor email handling (compared with Chatter), slow OS, painfully lacking PIM's (compared to DateBk6), and perhaps most important it hurt my hands with its width and size. I kept looking at it besides my Treo, and it certainly looked kind of huge in comparison. In regards to the lacking PIM functionality, what killed it for me was the task function not being able to display outlook notes.

Back with the Treo once more, the only things I truly miss about the E61, is the wifi options/web experience, the excellent phone call quality and the exchange sync options at work. (My firm has not implemented a Palm OS sync option).

Now I am more than ever convinced that my next phone will have to be the next Treo or perhaps some future WM6- phone.

For now I can only look at my scratched Treo and accept that nothing can compare....

Christian
    I need to flip a coin on staying with the T650 or the E61. I miss how fast I could email with Chatter and lookup contacts. I am also disapointed it has wi-fi ,yet I haven't been about to streaming anything besides audio with the interndet radio. The E61 is hard to hold, but it does have an awesome speaker phone so mainly I lay it on a table or desk for all my calls. Its embarrasing to hold it to your head when out in public and I won't wear a bluetooth earpiece outside of the car. It may go out on eBay before it receives any scratches or wear. I don't believe any Treo killer exists for now. The MDA II had a very short test period before I sent it back to T-Mobile.
    Okay, after a FedEx delay, I finally received my E61 today. So far, I love it with a few questions for those of you who already have it.

1. My vibrate feature isn't working. I've set-up various profiles and have the "vibrate alert" checked, but it's not vibrating. I'm assuming the phone is bad, but if I'm doing something moronic, please don't hesitate to point it out.

2. Even though it's a bit old school, I'm using multiple POP3 accounts. I'm using the default application on the phone which seems to be pretty cool, But - two questions about it:
    a) I have it set to retrieve from each box every 30 minutes. But, is there a way if I do a manual retrieve to have it retrieve from every box as opposed to just one at a time?

b) Is there a way to delete without getting the "would you like to delete from the phone or the server" message for each one?

3. Is there a better 3rd party application for email that someone recommends?

Thanks.

Bill
    1. Sounds like a defective phone.
    2. a) Not that I know of.
    2. b) Go to E-mail Settings->User Settings->Delete Emails from, and set it to something other than 'Always Ask'.
    3) Try ProfiMail. Never used it myself so can't comment.
    Something I forgot to mention: While Activesync is great, there is a serious problem. For some stupid reason the phone doesn't realise that contacts, calendar entries etc. have already been synched "over the air" when you later synch it via USB: it duplicates everything once you switch from synching wirlessly to USB, resulting in a huge mess both on the phone and on the computer....

Also, I got several "system errors" and "storage full" errors (with plenty of storage left) while synching or downloading emails. This was without any third party software installed, so don't expect a hassle-free life from the e61.
  12.    #72  
    Will I be hearing more of this 're' moving(-back) to Treo now that the dust have settled?

Bawang
    I'll take a little hassle from E61 than the uncertainty of resets from my 650... :-)
    To each his own.

My Treo 6.5 was fun while it lasted, but it's time to separate the boys from the men. For me, WiFi out-of-the-box is the big deal-breaker. Plus no more friggin' annoying resets.

My E"Sexty One" is here to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang
    Will I be hearing more of this 're' moving(-back) to Treo now that the dust have settled?

Bawang
    Never , never , never Until T800.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Never , never , never Until T800.
    Same here. Until when their Linux Treo is second generation and stable. Then I guess we'll have another waiting game for Blackberry Connect again since there is no Linux support for BBConnect right now... Not that BBConnect on E61 is plain sailing for me either!
  17.    #77  
    Sold my Treo 650 today and now waiting for the E61 to arrive. Looking forward to it arriving.

While on Treo, I use the bluetooth reverse DUN for internet sharing with my PC and MAC at home. I know why bother using bluetooth when there's Wifi on the E61. Unfortunately, the university housing I am in prohibits any non authorized WiFi access point, I am stuck with the bluetooth method for now. Googling the question leads me to many different answers but none so far that is specific to S60v3 on the Nokia E61. Any of you have successfully tried it?

Thanks.
    hello,

My name is Luke, I live in the Altanta metro area and I have tmobile US. I picked up a unlocked Nokia E61. I see they are popular in the UK, I tried their help stuff, but got no where. I am trying to get my E61 to work with email and with the internet. When I send, I get a "packet data connection not available" error. Email is more important to me than the internet, so if you can help me get it working that would be great.

I had a blackberry 7290 before that with 5 email accounts on it. I don't see a place to input more than one account with the E61. Maybe it only supports one. I am hoping for some experts to get me rolling.

Thanks!

Luke
    Quote Originally Posted by lukepools
    hello,

My name is Luke, I live in the Altanta metro area and I have tmobile US. I picked up a unlocked Nokia E61. I see they are popular in the UK, I tried their help stuff, but got no where. I am trying to get my E61 to work with email and with the internet. When I send, I get a "packet data connection not available" error. Email is more important to me than the internet, so if you can help me get it working that would be great.

I had a blackberry 7290 before that with 5 email accounts on it. I don't see a place to input more than one account with the E61. Maybe it only supports one. I am hoping for some experts to get me rolling.

Thanks!

Luke
    I'm not regularly using a e61 right now, so I cannot help with your email account question. I can imagine you have a better chance for a helpful answer if you post it in a symbian forum, e.g. this one: http://my-symbian.com/forum/ I haven't tried it, there are also other forums.
    Just to follow-up on my earlier post - my issues are now solved. I have to admit that the Symbian system has taken me much longer than anticipated to get comfortable with (after more than 5 years with Palm products). That said, the E61 is beyond my expectations and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. It seems like a stable hybrid of Palm and Windows with the major benefits of both.

The web browser is simply brilliant and takes the concept of surfing from a novelty (on the Treo) to a totally legitimate way of accessing the net. The wifi is great and, just to reiterate, I've had it for around a week with no crashes, resets or errors.

I highly recommend that you give it a try.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast