Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have chosen to go to Sprint, but I can not decide on what phone to get!

I have waited patiently for the 700P but I do not know if I want it. I like the multi-tasking capability of the WM5. I want to be able to surf the web, listen to music, and do whatever else I want. Also with all the complaints about the 700P having slow EVDO is really bothering me. I do a lot of texting and I would use the keyboard, but the one handed use of the 700P is what I really like about the treo.

Is there anyway that I could have an active standby screen like the 6700? Thats what I like alot about the 6700 because I can customize it to how I want, with weather and stuff like that.

I really want the 700P but I do not know if it is worth it. I have never used Palm or WM5 so take that in account.
    good luck with the pull-out keyboard!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Ypu're going to hear a lot of pro-treo and pro-WM5.0 from different people. I love both. I've had many Treo's (latest was 650) and now I have the Cingular 8125 (Cingular's version of the 6700) and I relegated the 650 to dust accumulating duties. I have tweaked it for excellent one-handed use and I love the keyboard (large and comfortable). I really like the fact that I can slide it out of site when I'm not using it. OTOH, other's hate it. I recommend you but the 6700 and if you don't like it after a week, return it and take the Treo. I'm sure Sprint will trade it within your trial period in order to not lose you as a customer.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I am currently in the same predicament, and I am still unsure. I want a good one handed phone with EVDO, ORB, and other streaming media. One of the biggest things I have against Palm OS is the fact that so many of the "nescessary" apps are third party. I mean come on ptunes deluxe, pocket money - you can do so much of this on WM for free.

Anyway, here is my comparison list for anyone out there:

wifi + EVDO
    Windows MP, ORB, Slingbox
    so-so one handedness
    320x240
    miniSD
    Exchange Push
    A2DP avaiable via hack
    Microsoft Voice Command - Really cool IMHO

700p

EVDO
    ptunes, ORB
    good one handed support
    320X320
    SD media
    A2DP via 3rd party, maybe
    Follow jlczl's advice. Try the 6700 first. If you can get past the slide out keyboard, it seems to be a more powerful device (and I would use the wifi a lot.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I never thought wifi was an important feature. After having it available to me though, I LOVE IT. I always use to tout my Treo 650 and try and show off the features to other users. When I see a Treo 650 user now, I ask them a question or two about their device, most don't use anywhere near what it can do. They will be all impressed with something or other I just giggle. Occassionally I will pull out my 6700 and do the same thing, plus something I know they can't do. I'm not bad mouthing Treos, I thoroughly enjoyed mine, but after using the 6700 I got another Treo 650 thinking I would use it, but I don't. I remember it being better than it seems to me now. Honestly though, this is a terrible forum to ask this question in, it is VERY biased. The fact that you are getting any votes for anything except a Treo here, should say a lot about the other device you are considering.

Lonzo
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    The fact that you are getting any votes for anything except a Treo here, should say a lot about the other device you are considering.
    Where do you get your schrooms, man? I think this forum is relatively UNBIASED compared to most of the WM5 temples on the web. Eventhough there are a ton of Treo fans here, I think the ones that post tend to be far more mature and well reasoned (well, exclude me from that list).

I think one of the things that is greate about TC is that nearly all of us are a "fan" of the Treo...but we also tend to look at in context and understands its flaws and limitations.

The 6700 is a great mini-computer. The WM5 experience as far as operating the phone goes, however, stinks. The call quality is fine...but the software that's written to get to the phone functions is simply awful. You'll NEED voice command if you do a lot of outbound callings because you'll eventually lose all sensation in your stylus hand from all the damned tap-tap-taping it takes to make a single phone call from your contact list.

I love the Treo...but I own a 6700. I really like all the bells and whistles that come with the 6700 and a few of them I *need* for work. If you're using your device for multi-media, chatting, and internet related stuff, I think the 6700 is a better choice. If you plan to use this as a primary phone and you make/take a lot of calls, you may find it a bit frustrating.

(is it just me, or do I sound like a broken record? I feel like I've typed this in about 20 different threads...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    (is it just me, or do I sound like a broken record? I feel like I've typed this in about 20 different threads...)
    You have. The same thing over and over, I hate it when people do that. Hey, what about the Wifi?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    You have. The same thing over and over, I hate it when people do that. Hey, what about the Wifi?
    Glad you asked...never use it.
  10.    #10  
    geatches

i know you hate when people do not search, but i did try to search multiple times and for some reason it would just time out. So i did a manual search going back through all the pages and that became a pain in the ***.

Haggar sorry for making re-write that response, i am stuck however on what to do.

I love the form factor of the treo, but i want the ability to multi task and have the today screen fully customized to how I want it. THe palm screen is just boring.

I have not used POS or WM5 extensively, just played with the phones a couple times.

I am worried about the build quality of the 6700 because i do ALOT of text messaginge (1500) a month and i am wondering how that would hold up over time. This phone has to last me more then a year and i just cant see that happening with 6700.
    if you want one-handed use, and you are a heavy email/sms user, forget any device with a slideout keyboard. but please, don't listen to me, go out and test-drive one (like others suggest) and see for yourself. and i agree that the 6700 may be a more robust device and I particularly enjoy the windows mobile experience, but it for me it ends with anything slideout.

as for wi-fi? ask people why they really like it. if they're honest they'll respond with "it comes down to cost...it's free."
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    geatches

i know you hate when people do not search, but i did try to search multiple times and for some reason it would just time out. So i did a manual search going back through all the pages and that became a pain in the ***.

Haggar sorry for making re-write that response, i am stuck however on what to do.

I love the form factor of the treo, but i want the ability to multi task and have the today screen fully customized to how I want it. THe palm screen is just boring.

I have not used POS or WM5 extensively, just played with the phones a couple times.

I am worried about the build quality of the 6700 because i do ALOT of text messaginge (1500) a month and i am wondering how that would hold up over time. This phone has to last me more then a year and i just cant see that happening with 6700.
    Your concern with the build quality is well founded. I found the keyboard kept getting knocked open almost every time I used the phone (the 8125) and that became very annoying.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    geatches

My keyboard feels ok still. I only use about 1000-3000 text a month though. I also like to IM via Agile messenger, but I prefer to keep the keyboard slid out when doing that for any length of time. The slider is looser than when new, but not loose. I think the phone is fine as a primary phone. I have put 4000 minutes of use into this one in about the last month and a half I had it, and 10,000 minutes on the one I had previously. I swapped to get insurance added to my account, long story, but the phone was fine. I've only been using the 6700 since January, but I think that is a good deal of time to have spend with it, since most people don't talk or text that much on their phone in a year.

I'm not telling you to not get a Treo, I personally dont care what you use, but I have a 650 and a 6700, the 650 gets used by my girlfriend sometimes, I RARELY even touch the thing. Probably best to go get them both and try them for 14 days.
    geatches

your biggest worry should be the time and clumsiness around having to pull out the keyboard everytime you want to use it. the build quality is there, that should carry much less weight than the functionality at hand. you point to messaging/email, one-handedness and the treo form factor as being major issues for you. they're both well built phones and i think you should concentrate on how it is that you're going to use the phone and where. having to monkey around with pulling out a keyboard (and especially in certain situations) and turning the thing around in your hands will get to you after your first few attempts. with an exposed keyboard (treo/moto-q, whichever) you just pick up the device and type away while using only one hand.

best success!
  15.    #15  
    i mainly will use the phone as a phone, organizer, and text messaging/e-mail machine. I will be on the net quite a bit as I like to read the many forums that i go to.

I just wish you could customize the screen of the 700p. I did play with a 8125 today and I do love how the device looks and feels. THe keyboard is awesome and i think i could definately pound out some serious text messaging, but having to open it up every time is the deal breaker for me.

700p it is
    One other Hardware issue is the Joystick on the 6700. I don't know about other users, but I really prefer the Treo's five-way to the 6700's joystick.
    i mainly will use the phone as a phone, organizer, and text messaging/e-mail machine. I will be on the net quite a bit as I like to read the many forums that i go to.

I just wish you could customize the screen of the 700p. I did play with a 8125 today and I do love how the device looks and feels. THe keyboard is awesome and i think i could definately pound out some serious text messaging, but having to open it up every time is the deal breaker for me.

700p it is
    or a moto-q.....glad we could be of help
  18.    #18  
    i played with a moto-q and i just dont like it. I think it is a pretty cool looking phone but i want touch screen.

700p it is
    Even though I'm angry at Palm for not putting on some of the "basics" other companies have as standard, it still is the best form factor out there for ease of phone use. The others are too cumbersome in my opinion. Good choice.
  20.    #20  
    do not get me wrong, the palm is not my first choice. The reason i have not gone out and purchased it already is because i seem it lacking features that i would like to have for the future. I live in milwaukee and the entire city is supposed to go wireless and that feature would be nice to ahve in the treo. however the lack of 3g in the 8125 is a killer for me.

i would consider the Q if verizon's data was not outta this world for prices. they rape their customers for how mcuh they charge for their data./
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast