Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    update: Played with verizon 6700, 700p and Q again all side by side.

I am getting the 700p. Form factor and ease of use is what i love. Its like a mac, just in the cell phone industry, Tried and Trusted.

I will just have to upgrade in a year instead of 2 years like i planned
    FWIW - I think you made a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    I used a Sprint 6700 for a 10 days and returned it. I used a Motorola Q for 7 days and returned it. Back to the Treo 700P. One of the problems that I couldn't get over with the WM5 devices, is that I would periodically have the phone shut off, and would never know it. There was no way to tell whether the phone was on. The 6700 shut itself off at least 4 times in the 10 days I had it. The first Q I had shut down three times in the space of an hour. The second Q I had shut down once over a 4 day period. I need a reliable phone.

On the 6700 I had to do a hard reset and start over 3 different occasions. Had to buy a 3rd party application to do a backup, because trying to recover with the native tools meant reinstalling everything. Also, I am unfortunate to have Lotus Notes as my employer's email system. Went through numerous problems with Commontime's mNotes, which wiped my calendar out 3 different times. Really odd in that it would delete half of my meetings for no apparent reason. I know this is not a problem with WM5, rather with another companies software running on it. It was an annoyance, which I got tired of dealing with.
    wow! have had my Q for over two weeks now and no soft-resets and no "shut-downs" as you call them. and you have gone through two of them? jimminy that is bad luck.
    While I believe your experience, I will have to say that in the past week my 700p has reset itself about 5 times. My Q has reset itself once. I actually went the Verizon store tonight to return the Q, but it was really crowded so I left.

When I got back to the car, I saw the bluetooth system not showing a phone signal. Took the 700p out of my coat and the phone was off. No error message no sound.

I've had almost every Treo model and I do believe they still have a big ease of use advantage. But portraying the Palm OS as rock solid as some have done is very silly. It's a deck of cards, when one thing does out of place the whole thing tumbles down.

Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    I used a Sprint 6700 for a 10 days and returned it. I used a Motorola Q for 7 days and returned it. Back to the Treo 700P. One of the problems that I couldn't get over with the WM5 devices, is that I would periodically have the phone shut off, and would never know it. There was no way to tell whether the phone was on. The 6700 shut itself off at least 4 times in the 10 days I had it. The first Q I had shut down three times in the space of an hour. The second Q I had shut down once over a 4 day period. I need a reliable phone.

On the 6700 I had to do a hard reset and start over 3 different occasions. Had to buy a 3rd party application to do a backup, because trying to recover with the native tools meant reinstalling everything. Also, I am unfortunate to have Lotus Notes as my employer's email system. Went through numerous problems with Commontime's mNotes, which wiped my calendar out 3 different times. Really odd in that it would delete half of my meetings for no apparent reason. I know this is not a problem with WM5, rather with another companies software running on it. It was an annoyance, which I got tired of dealing with.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    While I believe your experience, I will have to say that in the past week my 700p has reset itself about 5 times. My Q has reset itself once. I actually went the Verizon store tonight to return the Q, but it was really crowded so I left.

When I got back to the car, I saw the bluetooth system not showing a phone signal. Took the 700p out of my coat and the phone was off. No error message no sound.

I've had almost every Treo model and I do believe they still have a big ease of use advantage. But portraying the Palm OS as rock solid as some have done is very silly. It's a deck of cards, when one thing does out of place the whole thing tumbles down.
    While I tend to agree with your general sentiments - I think there's a big difference between WM5 and POS stability -- namely 3rd party software.

My 600 and 650 were absolutely rock solid, no problems (granted, I didn't purchase either when they first came out) -- but I did have a few problems once I started installing some 3rd party aps.

However, every WM device I've ever known has had stability issues out of the box. It didn't matter if I installed 3rd party aps or not. The 6700 is a great example. Now that they have their service pack out its more stable and usable, but it's still not "rock solid" like my 650 was. I've heard lots of complaints about the 650 from others but experience was great.

I just think that the more complicated you make something, more you increase the chance of bugs and problems. WM5 is far more complex OS and is open to more problems because of it. That said -- when you take an OS from the 1990's and strap on a bunch of patches you're probably just as likely to increase your chances of problems (particularly with software compatibility).
    Luminary? You've got to be kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    With the 6700, or the friend?
    LOL...the 6700.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Does anyone know why Sprint decided to lose their mind when pricing the PPC-6700? It is older but is still $449 which makes it $50 more than the Treo 700p. And before everyone jumps on me about wifi and feature set...Verizon is selling the XV-6700 for $299..tmo is selling the MDA for $299 and cingular is selling the 8125 for $299 after $50 MIR. What gives with Sprint, man?

I raise this question because I think I am leaning toward the 6700 over the Palm...and I hate to say it because I used to argue against this point...but wifi is becoming a selling point. I have to admit...I've found an awful lot of extra functionality with having wifi at my disposal. I think I would be glad I have it and rarely use it...than not have it and wish I did.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    I agree that all mobile OS's have problems once you start adding third party apps.

But every Treo I've ever owned has had stability problems out of the box. The Treo 650 when it was first released was very fragile, as was the 600, as was the 270. Later firmware releases of the 650 were better. My 650 is rock solid for months, then has mysterious bouts of spontaneous reboots followed by becoming rock solid again later. All without changing any apps or anything.

The 700p is slightly better out of the box than the 650 was initially but it still has problems. To me, the bluetooth and phone aspects are weak points. The whole thing has mysterious lags (especially when switching app) when the phone is on, the bluetooth functions with weird glitches and two of the crashes I've seen are due to bluetooth trying to hookup to previously paired devices.

On the other hand the Q has been very stable. I've been very surprised how stable it's been. It's been far far more stable than a 700w I tried months ago. I would have agreed in the past that WM devices were inherently more unstable, but I'm being to think we may be at the tipping point. Frankengarnet has been so stretched beyond the point it was originally designed for that now it's lost it's stability advantage. That along with Palm's inability to execute in some areas (why is bluetooth such a big problem for them?).

While I tend to agree with your general sentiments - I think there's a big difference between WM5 and POS stability -- namely 3rd party software.

My 600 and 650 were absolutely rock solid, no problems (granted, I didn't purchase either when they first came out) -- but I did have a few problems once I started installing some 3rd party aps.

However, every WM device I've ever known has had stability issues out of the box. It didn't matter if I installed 3rd party aps or not. The 6700 is a great example. Now that they have their service pack out its more stable and usable, but it's still not "rock solid" like my 650 was. I've heard lots of complaints about the 650 from others but experience was great.

I just think that the more complicated you make something, more you increase the chance of bugs and problems. WM5 is far more complex OS and is open to more problems because of it. That said -- when you take an OS from the 1990's and strap on a bunch of patches you're probably just as likely to increase your chances of problems (particularly with software compatibility).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680

Agreed on most points. However complexity isn't the cause of instability, quality control is. Unix/Linux/et al. is very stable and is at least as complex as Windows.

But yes: The Treo's PalmOS *can* be stable if you are careful what you install on it. WM5 certainly has stability issues out of the box. Generally though Wm5 doesn't reset itself when things go south like PalmOS does. WM5 prefers to tourture you with slow response or no response until you go bonkers and hit the warm-reset key. Which is a better situation? I have no idea.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    Does anyone know why Sprint decided to lose their mind when pricing the PPC-6700? It is older but is still $449 which makes it $50 more than the Treo 700p. And before everyone jumps on me about wifi and feature set...Verizon is selling the XV-6700 for $299..tmo is selling the MDA for $299 and cingular is selling the 8125 for $299 after $50 MIR. What gives with Sprint, man?

I raise this question because I think I am leaning toward the 6700 over the Palm...and I hate to say it because I used to argue against this point...but wifi is becoming a selling point. I have to admit...I've found an awful lot of extra functionality with having wifi at my disposal. I think I would be glad I have it and rarely use it...than not have it and wish I did.
    I don't know what jarred my memory on this, but I stopped by a Sprint store to poke around with the 700p. The sales-drone started pushing the 6700 on me. (I have an 8125 so there is nothing new on that device for me.) Then (in an attempt to get my interest to the 6700) he said "Palm's version of Windows isn't so good on that device." I told him that the 700p runs PalmOS. He looked at me for a second or two and then came out with this gem: "That's what most people think, but Palm didn't want to change that much on the 700w so they just put a Palm shell and emulator on top of the Windows XP OS that's in the 700w .. and that's what makes the 6700 better ... it's pure Windows XP in this bad boy."

It was my turn for a blank look .... then I left ... totally and absolutely speechless. I wish I could have come up with something clever, but I think he fried the few remaining brain-cells that I have left with that statement.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Roflmao..............thank You, That Is The Funniest Thing I Have Heard In Like A Week. I Needed That!
    Well ... it answered this question for me: These guys really do make stuff up as they go along.

(Not all of them ... I've met some VERY good and VERY knowledgeable sales folks, but it was obvious that this guy missed some staff meetings.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    That kid definitely has a bright future in sales. Hopefully he goes on to be a business major somewhere to hone his skills. He came up with that line of BS on the spot...on the fly and with minimal hesitation. I like it. He's completely stupid and a moron...but I like it.

Reminds me of my weekend. My bill at the national chain drugstore came to $12.22. I gave the kid behind the counter $23.00. Now let me quickly point out that he was on his cell phone with his friend as he is trying to ring my up. He hands me $0.78. Ok, this kid isn't paying attention and thought I handed him $13.00 or so I think. I politely tell him no...that was a twenty I gave you...you still owe me a ten. He (still talking on the phone) asks for my $0.78 cents back and hands me $8.00. I said, no, I gave you a twenty and three ones...he said but you just said you gave me a twenty. First of all, how $20 - $12.22 equals $8.00 is beyond me; but, I said if I gave you 4 bills and you punched into the register $13.00 why would you now think I only gave you a single $20? You gave me $0.78 in change...somewhere the register was correct and told you to give me that amount of change. You owe me a ten dollar bill. He's lost...he asks his friend on the phone what change should be given. His friend says, get this, $9.17...and he had to be right...because he used a calculator to figure it out. Bottom line...I got my change after about 15 minutes and me actually telling him (with the receipt as a visual aid) how and why he owes me $10.78 back. He still didn't get it.

Moral of the story...someone please kill me soon. I do not want to be part of this world when these kids take over. We're doomed.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    I had the same (but opposite) problem in a McDonalds (which I usually avoid, but the evil McDonald's marketing department has seduced my children and they must comply!)

The chick on the phone was yapping with her boyfriend (standing next to me at the counter) the entire time I was placing my order (with an occasional glance toward me to make sure I'm still there because she obviously wasn't listening). She was so engrossed in this conversation (whatever it was about) that she run it out without asking what I wanted to eat. Apparently only Happy Meals are served here, parents do not eat in "cashier-chick land". Since it was a food court and I avoid this poison anyway it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway: I had her a $10 for a $7 bill. (I rounded the bill number). She gives me $13 change. I try to correct her to give back the extra $10. She argues with me now that I gave her a $20. (Since I only took $20 out of the ATM and already spent some I knew that was impossible!) I even tried pleading with her ("Listen, your till is going to be short ... you are going to get in trouble".) Now she's getting annoyed because I'm distracting her from her conversation with Mr. Wonderful.

Ok ... I go and ask *another* cashier for the manager so I can give the money back. She say's "why?" So I tell her "The other girl is going to be short .. she gave me too much money back. I want to return it." She replies "Ahh ... don't worry about it. They make too much money here anyway .. and we can never find the manager anyway."

So I left. I actually made money on buying my kids poison for lunch. <sigh>

I still feel guilty. ... like I stole something. If I ever get time I'll write the chain and ask them if they want their $10 back. (I still have the receipt so they can (hopefully) check if they were short.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    I don't know what jarred my memory on this, but I stopped by a Sprint store to poke around with the 700p. The sales-drone started pushing the 6700 on me. (I have an 8125 so there is nothing new on that device for me.) Then (in an attempt to get my interest to the 6700) he said "Palm's version of Windows isn't so good on that device." I told him that the 700p runs PalmOS. He looked at me for a second or two and then came out with this gem: "That's what most people think, but Palm didn't want to change that much on the 700w so they just put a Palm shell and emulator on top of the Windows XP OS that's in the 700w .. and that's what makes the 6700 better ... it's pure Windows XP in this bad boy."

It was my turn for a blank look .... then I left ... totally and absolutely speechless. I wish I could have come up with something clever, but I think he fried the few remaining brain-cells that I have left with that statement.
    that is great stuff.....

i am back on the wagon....well maybe...
    i have had the 6700 for 2 months...i have a brand new 700p sitting on my desk...i am debating if i should switch.

I really liked the concept of the 6700, but for me, it seems to not do the trick. i liked it during the first 2 weeks, but soon there after, it started getting annoying pulling the keyboard out when i want to type ANYTHING...my battery not even making it to the end of the day (hardly any calls), and bulk...

so i need to figure out if i should go to the treo, i have heard issues with battery life on the 700, but it cannot be worse than the 6700, can it? also, has BT gotten any better, the 650's bluetooth sucked.

i am almost converted back...
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    wow! have had my Q for over two weeks now and no soft-resets and no "shut-downs" as you call them. and you have gone through two of them? jimminy that is bad luck.
    Just spoke to my neighbor on his Q. He returned it for the same reason as I did. The phone was shutting off by itself. There was no way he could tell that it was off without trying to turn it on - no blinking light like on the Treo that tells you its still on. Some don't like the light continually blinking - I on the other had appreciate it because that is the easiest way to see that it is still on.
    I am not saying that my 700p hasn't reset itself. What I am saying is that when it has done it (2 or 3 times), it resets then reconnects to Verizon. So the phone is back on. That is a big difference from the Q, which just shut off and never turned itself back on. That is the deal breaker for me - I can put up with the occasional reset if the phone will reconnect to the network automatically. I can't deal with a phone that will shut off and never turn back on and doesn't give you an indication that it is no longer connected. My Q turned into a Z (ZZZZZZZZzzzz sleep).

Not sure if the auto reboot is a Verizon only thing or applies to Sprint. My Sprint Treo 650 would not turn itself back on unless I was using some special software. If my 700p turned off as yours did, and the battery was not dead, I would be taking that back.

Another interesting thing is that I only had a couple of applications on the Q and I experienced problems. I have 20-30 applications on my 700p and the 700p is much more stable.

Perhaps the Q sensed the return and intentionally screwed up your 700P! Now that would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis

17.    #57  
    Well I went to the sprint store and played with the 6700 and 700P some more. I work at the Apple store and we always get tech geeks in the store. Well a couple walked in, some using the 6700 and others using the 650/700. From them and other people i have asked, they are really happy with the 6700. I have read plenty reviews about both phones and I feel that the 6700 is a better investment for the long run.

The Palm OS feels like a dead OS and I feel that WM5 device will last me longer as far as software goes. Plus after playing with the phone, the keyboard feels alot nicer on the 6700 then the 700p, and if it wears out, insurance will replace it for me .

6700 it is for me!

Thanks for all the advice!
    Enjoy your phone.
    BTW: What solution did you find to sync with the Mac? Any luck with Missing Sync?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
  19.    #59  
    i do not have a mac with me right now. But yes i would plan on using missing sync.

How do you like the 8125?
    PPC 6700 rocks. it is very stable, no matter what you install on it. that treo 650 was a piece of s***. I used it for 16 months. you don't have to install anything to make it crash and reboot by itself. if you never used the palm os before I strongly suggest not wasting any time even trying.
    Current: PPC-6700
    Past: Treo 650
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast