Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    it's all relative when speaking about prices. you can always buy a wi-fi card for your treo, so that shouldn't be a deal killer for you. i personally am happy paying Verizon's prices as i just can't stand the level of service found anywhere throughout the Sprint chain (stores and via phone). not only do i receive better service but i also receive great coverage versus what i experienced with sprint years ago (pathetic). but then again, that's just my experience. i have a Q and haven't missed my treo 700w yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    it's all relative when speaking about prices. you can always buy a wi-fi card for your treo, so that shouldn't be a deal killer for you. i personally am happy paying Verizon's prices as i just can't stand the level of service found anywhere throughout the Sprint chain (stores and via phone). not only do i receive better service but i also receive great coverage versus what i experienced with sprint years ago (pathetic). but then again, that's just my experience. i have a Q and haven't missed my treo 700w yet.

On all treos other than the 700w, wifi can't be added, and since he is probably not on verizon, hi is going to be getting the 700p. Probably his only hope for wifi is if enfora comes out with a 700p wifi sled like they did for the 650...
    I agree. My experience has been the same with Sprint. In my area, a visit to a Sprint store will occupy the better part of an hour. Always find the store filled with a number of upset people. While Verizon's prices are higher, I have found their customer service to be excellent. With Sprint it has been sketchy. I have 3 lines with Sprint and 3 lines with Verizon. Eventually the Sprint service will be dropped.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Even though I'm angry at Palm for not putting on some of the "basics" other companies have as standard, it still is the best form factor out there for ease of phone use. The others are too cumbersome in my opinion. Good choice.
    Look Adolf, it's snowing!
  5.    #25  
    i understand that verizon's CS may be better then sprint, but they all suck no matter what. Where i live and vacation the coverage is the same for the big three carriers. I have been doing a lot of reading about the 700p and now the Q and it sounds like a good phone if you have never owned a PDA/smartphone before, and thats where i fit. But verizon is just way to expensive, which it was GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Look Adolf, it's snowing!
    Very nice. Did you see the posts above you were talking Wifi?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Now start your own forum and call it Q-central.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Now start your own forum and call it Q-central.
    K my brutha, we are here for an open exchange of ideas. By hearing about the Q, which Palm not doubt has, may cause them to work a bit harder if they realize it's cutting into their sales. Competition makes us better! Having people talk about the Q on a Palm forum is a good thing.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    K my brutha, we are here for an open exchange of ideas. By hearing about the Q, which Palm not doubt has, may cause them to work a bit harder if they realize it's cutting into their sales. Competition makes us better! Having people talk about the Q on a Palm forum is a good thing.
    You are exactly right...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Ok, I've returned from a short hiatus but during that time I've been torn with this same problem. To 700p or not? I hear gharrod rave about his 6700 and state it is the best thing he has owned so far. I've done some homework in my absence and after holding a 6700 in my hands and having a chance to play with it...it actually is a pretty nice device. The 700p for all of our waiting and hoping...seems to be nothing more than an EV-DO enabled 650. Yes, you can argue the 1.3mp camera but the quality doesn't seem to be all that great. So, I'm left feeling like my only cool thing for $400 is EV-DO.

My hesitation in jumping to the dark side of the force (WM5) goes back to my old experiences with WM2k3 Second Edition. Pocket Word and Pocket Excel have butchered Word and Excel documents for me in the past. It has always seemed odd to me that Docs to go on the Palm have handled native Word and Excel better than Microsoft. I have never lost formatting or lost a file altogether with docs to go on Palm...whereas I have completely lost entire documents and document formatting on WM2k3SE. Can anyone with WM5 put my fears to rest that they can utilize their documents on the WM5 device without compromising the document? If so, I think I would have to go with the PPC6700...otherwise I'm still on the fence. If I can get a good answer to this question I would appreciate it.

EDIT: One other thing to note. This isn't a huge deal but it does raise an eyebrow. Someone like Shadowmite who was the champ of Treo hacking has left the Treo behind in favor of the 6700. He has stated that he doesn't even have interest in a custom ROM for the 700p and has left that to another person now. Someone who was so devout to the Treo now owns and is modding out the 6700 raises an eyebrow in my book. Again, not a selling point for me...I'll make my own decision but it's just interesting is all I'm saying.
    Last edited by xtant21; 06/19/2006 at 11:13 AM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    My friend in realestate has the 6700 and I am quite impressed.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    My friend in realestate has the 6700 and I am quite impressed.
    With the 6700, or the friend?
    Why dont you post a word document, I'll load it and post a saved copy from pocket word. It would be a good way to see how poorly (or not) it works. Its supposed to be a lot better than WM2003SE.

Surur
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I too struggled with the same question. I have the 600 & 650 and absoluetly loved them even with their problems. I was holding out all hope for the next true evolution in the os but it never came, so I decided to give it (6700) a try and I LOVE it. It is a true mobile computing experience. POS has been left behind as far as capabilities it is now a p.o.s. The keyboard is an adjustment and yes MS Voice Command is necessary but I've found that I can do alot of things one handed in wm5. Wm5 may not be as easy to navigate one handed as pos I think wm5 is not as far behind as many think. If you're more into using a phone that has some pim functions then the 700p is it hands down but if you're like me and want to push the envelope of mobile computing then the 6700 is king. IMHO
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jruss78
    I too struggled with the same question. I have the 600 & 650 and absoluetly loved them even with their problems. I was holding out all hope for the next true evolution in the os but it never came, so I decided to give it (6700) a try and I LOVE it. It is a true mobile computing experience. POS has been left behind as far as capabilities it is now a p.o.s. The keyboard is an adjustment and yes MS Voice Command is necessary but I've found that I can do alot of things one handed in wm5. Wm5 may not be as easy to navigate one handed as pos I think wm5 is not as far behind as many think. If you're more into using a phone that has some pim functions then the 700p is it hands down but if you're like me and want to push the envelope of mobile computing then the 6700 is king. IMHO
    I think you nailed it - if you want to push the envelope, go to Windows Mobile. If you want a solid (albeit limited) platform that is rock-solid 1-handed operation stick with POS.

The major dichotomy I see here is that most of us on TC are gadget gurus and the Treo isnít state-of-the-art anymore. We love to "tinker" on the bleeding edge. The problem is, the Treo has lost that allure. It's still a perfectly acceptable option for most people -- it's just that the geek factor on it is now a 5 instead of a 10.
  16.    #36  
    and thats how i am.. i want to have the latest and greatest when i do make my purchase. Besides the slight difference in the form factor of the treo 700p i see it as an 650 with evdo, and i am wondering if it is worth the 400$ for the phone.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    and thats how i am.. i want to have the latest and greatest when i do make my purchase. Besides the slight difference in the form factor of the treo 700p i see it as an 650 with evdo, and i am wondering if it is worth the 400$ for the phone.
    As long as you're willing to deal with the "issues" that surround the cutting edge (like the fact that the WM5 user experience is cumbersome and clunky) then go for it. If you don't want the agitation in your life, go with something simpler. Gadget geeks like us rarely opt for the latter.
  18.    #38  
    That is true. I just spend a good 30 minutes playing with the Moto Q at a Verizon Kiosk and i love the form factor, however i do not relaly like using the jog dial. It isnt as free spinning as the blackberries are and i do not like the d-pad on the Q. so i can either choose the 700p, the 6700, or the 8125.

Decisions Decisions!
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    That is true. I just spend a good 30 minutes playing with the Moto Q at a Verizon Kiosk and i love the form factor, however i do not relaly like using the jog dial. It isnt as free spinning as the blackberries are and i do not like the d-pad on the Q. so i can either choose the 700p, the 6700, or the 8125.

Decisions Decisions!
    I used a Sprint 6700 for a 10 days and returned it. I used a Motorola Q for 7 days and returned it. Back to the Treo 700P. One of the problems that I couldn't get over with the WM5 devices, is that I would periodically have the phone shut off, and would never know it. There was no way to tell whether the phone was on. The 6700 shut itself off at least 4 times in the 10 days I had it. The first Q I had shut down three times in the space of an hour. The second Q I had shut down once over a 4 day period. I need a reliable phone.

On the 6700 I had to do a hard reset and start over 3 different occasions. Had to buy a 3rd party application to do a backup, because trying to recover with the native tools meant reinstalling everything. Also, I am unfortunate to have Lotus Notes as my employer's email system. Went through numerous problems with Commontime's mNotes, which wiped my calendar out 3 different times. Really odd in that it would delete half of my meetings for no apparent reason. I know this is not a problem with WM5, rather with another companies software running on it. It was an annoyance, which I got tired of dealing with.
  20.    #40  
    update: Played with verizon 6700, 700p and Q again all side by side.

I am getting the 700p. Form factor and ease of use is what i love. Its like a mac, just in the cell phone industry, Tried and Trusted.

I will just have to upgrade in a year instead of 2 years like i planned
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast