Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Blue Vdx since fall 99, when it had 4x the memory of the Palm III's (8 mg vs 2 mg), and was cheaper to boot. Then Palm introduced the IIIxe at the same price point ($250). Visor was still better because of the Springboard potential. (plus it's always good to help the underdog)

Now Palm IIIxe's are $50 less than VisorDlx.

My son (13 yrs old) wants to spend some of his Christmas/Birthday money for a Visor or Palm. (about a dozen guys in the 7th/8th grade have them). For him, $50 is a big difference in price. So I am *almost* ready to agree with him that a Palm IIIxe is a better value.

Question for the assembled experts: With the Palm IIIxe's now cheaper than VDX, which should he get?

Or should he wait for whatever Palm or Visor is releasing next?

Another Q: like all teenagers, he could lose the Palm or Visor. What insurance is out there? (or chains to tie it to his belt-loop?)

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by srwdc1
    I've had my Blue Vdx since fall 99, when it had 4x the memory of the Palm III's (8 mg vs 2 mg), and was cheaper to boot. Then Palm introduced the IIIxe at the same price point ($250). Visor was still better because of the Springboard potential. (plus it's always good to help the underdog)

Now Palm IIIxe's are $50 less than VisorDlx.

My son (13 yrs old) wants to spend some of his Christmas/Birthday money for a Visor or Palm. (about a dozen guys in the 7th/8th grade have them). For him, $50 is a big difference in price. So I am *almost* ready to agree with him that a Palm IIIxe is a better value.

Question for the assembled experts: With the Palm IIIxe's now cheaper than VDX, which should he get?

Or should he wait for whatever Palm or Visor is releasing next?

Another Q: like all teenagers, he could lose the Palm or Visor. What insurance is out there? (or chains to tie it to his belt-loop?)

Thanks in advance.
    This has been debated COUNTLESS times.

Remember, the Visor uses USB, a MUCH faster hotsyncing method (this is VERY nice when updating AvantGo Data). The visor is also faster (by just a little)
    The IIIxe OTOH has Flash Memory, which is really the only thing going for it.

The backup module for the Springboard slot is the single best reason to get a visor. one touch complete backup in a few minutes. you can't beat that with any of Palm's current offerings. This module has saved my **** PLENTY of times.

The springboard and the USB are worth the $50 IMO.

But Palm should be releasing a batch of new handhelds soon. You MIGHT want to wait.

As for security at school (having personally had 2 Palm3's stolen, one at High School), keep the handheld in your pants pocket at all times. Theft is always a greater threat than loss (I know I wouldn't ever forget a $200+ item ).

I'm not sure about insurance, but I got lucky by buying (2+yrs ago now) my Palm3's with my mom's American Express card. They have a lost/stolen/damaged 90-day catch-all replacement policy for anything bought with that CC. It came in VERY handy.

-V
    You could always offer to sell your son your VDx for a modicum amount, leaving you free to upgrade to a Platinum or Prism
    Well, I couldn't argue with my friends who bought Palm IIIxe's here in Toronto when they paid CAD$290 plus tax, minus $50 rebate, which ends up being equivalent to paying just $246.50 (US$160) plus tax. In comparison, the usual going rate for the Visor Deluxe is CAD$379 (US$246).

That's a US$86 difference!

USB does rule however, and I would never give up my Backup Module. Nurcombe's idea sounds good...
    Actually you can get a IIIxe for $160 at Staples.com with a $40 instant coupon.
    I bought my Ice VDX on Ebay for $195 and the transaction worked out fine. There are a ton of VDXs on Ebay...all people moving up to Platinums.

You don't fully appreciate the USB until you are forced to use a serial cradle. It takes me less than two minutes to sync my VDX (including a full menu of Avantgo) at home with my USB. At work with my serial cradle its at least 12 minutes. Its the difference between syncing for the hell of it and making it a strategic scheduling decision.
    I use Avant Go on my IIIxe and total sync time is about 2 minutes. Does a minute or two in time really mean that much to you? With the staples coupon you're talking about a $90 difference now....just for a few minutes of time.
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas

You don't fully appreciate the USB until you are forced to use a serial cradle. It takes me less than two minutes to sync my VDX (including a full menu of Avantgo) at home with my USB. At work with my serial cradle its at least 12 minutes. Its the difference between syncing for the hell of it and making it a strategic scheduling decision.

Guess it just means the Visor serial cradles are horrible. Using my Palm serial cradle it takes me about 2 minutes to fully sycn and I run AvantGo as well as other web based programs that gather info from servers each sync.
    Originally posted by TaTTooD

Guess it just means the Visor serial cradles are horrible. Using my Palm serial cradle it takes me about 2 minutes to fully sycn and I run AvantGo as well as other web based programs that gather info from servers each sync.
    I just timed my AvantGo Sync at 40 seconds, which seemed pretty normal. In any case, the USB connection is MUCH faster, there is no arguing that. I think you're just a jealous PalmIIIxe owner trolling the Visor boards. You also fail to see the fact that the visor has a lot more going for it then just USB for $90 more.
    IIIxe's are dead. Palm has admitted it. On MArch 6, the Palm m105 will be announced. It will look like a m100 but will have 8 mb of memory as the rumors go. IT will cost $199.

TO COMBAT THIS Handspring has released a $50 rebate on the Visor Deluxe, therefore bringing the price down to the same. So, there now the same price, but with the Visor, you get a larger LCD screen (than the m105) and USB and jsut a better soloution.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by Vertigo

I just timed my AvantGo Sync at 40 seconds, which seemed pretty normal. In any case, the USB connection is MUCH faster, there is no arguing that. I think you're just a jealous PalmIIIxe owner trolling the Visor boards. You also fail to see the fact that the visor has a lot more going for it then just USB for $90 more.

I am here because Palms and Visors share the same O/S and apps. A forum such as this can help me find things that I would not be able to find on my own. As for being jealous....I dont know what there is to be jealous of. Everything I stated was on facts given by other forum members and my own experience with what you all consider the competition. I have never even used a Visor, but felt that it would be helpful to post in this thread since you were all talking about my model. Thanks for the warm welcome....its greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    IIIxe's are dead.

But they are still a great unit. Now at an excellent price. One that is purchased will still be honored under warranty. It will still run any apps you put in it. Just cause they stop making something doesnt mean you look the other way.
    speaking of visors and m100/m105, one thing that people can't deny is that the visors don't have a very organic form factor, and the m10x's do. I still think that the visors are a better deal (an Areo 1500 is about equal), but they don't have a very desireable form.

Another thing i should point out is that the m10x's apeal to diffrent people from visors. m10x people want something cute, cheep and hopefully it will organize them. People who want visors are the kinda people who what real moble computing but that use mac's or don't want to go to the PPC platform. IMHO
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Originally posted by TaTTooD

I am here because Palms and Visors share the same O/S and apps. A forum such as this can help me find things that I would not be able to find on my own. As for being jealous....I dont know what there is to be jealous of. Everything I stated was on facts given by other forum members and my own experience with what you all consider the competition. I have never even used a Visor, but felt that it would be helpful to post in this thread since you were all talking about my model. Thanks for the warm welcome....its greatly appreciated.
    You don't know what there is to be jealous of? Don't make me type out every feature the Visor has that the IIIxe doesn't.

It would have been helpful if you could've posted how much AvantGo data you transfer (avail. on your avantgo login page) to get that short of a sync. You were making it sound like the IIIxe synced just as fast as a Visor, which is simply not true.

and Mirandu, don't forget the springboard slot
    I met TaTTooD a couple of weeks ago, and he is an *****!!!

Seriously though, why is there so much friction between Palm and Visor owners? Shouldn't they be cooperating (against CE) instead of competing?

I own the Palm IIIx (yeah, the 4 MB version) and the Visor Platinum. They are both great products. If you have no need for springboard slots and if the Palm is cheaper, then it makes perfect sense to buy the Palm.

BTW, the majority of Visor owners own ZERO springboards ... of course, you probably own at least one springboard since most VC members are Visor enthusiasts.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Originally posted by namja
    I met TaTTooD a couple of weeks ago, and he is an *****!!!

Springboard still has an advantage even you don't plan on buying any modules, if only because you never know. You may later want to get a keyboard and wireless modem to type emails during church. The only way you're going to be able to use them at the same time is with springboard. Or maybe someone releases a "do all" springboard (insert your favorite Innogear jab here _______), or some special purpose module that does everything you didn't know you needed done. When you buy a Palm you get what you paid for, when you buy a visor you get the possibility that you bought something you've always needed. BTW, everyone should at least buy the backup module. It's proven itself indispensable to me on a couple of occasions.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Springboard still has an advantage even you don't plan on buying any modules, if only because you never know....
    BTW, everyone should at least buy the backup module. It's proven itself indispensable to me on a couple of occasions.
    Agree with ****-richardson, the springboard slot was the reason I bought my VDX. Backup module was icing on the cake.
    Plus, anybody can build a Springboard module without paying Handspring a royalty. Plus all the specs are published.
    Right from the start Handspring had the backup module, 8 meg flash module, modem, and Golf game. To me, this proved that the Springboard concept was a valid one.
    But is the VDX better than a Palm IIIxe at $159? Because that is what Best Buy is currently selling the IIIxe for. They took a $40 price cut this weekend. So whatda' think about a $160 IIIxe w/flash? Can we talk price wars, please?
    <><
    Originally posted by LanMan
    But is the VDX better than a Palm IIIxe at $159? Because that is what Best Buy is currently selling the IIIxe for. They took a $40 price cut this weekend. So whatda' think about a $160 IIIxe w/flash? Can we talk price wars, please?
    Remeber the price for a VDX is now $200.
    I think it's still an easy choice. The Visor has so many more things going for it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast