Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 217
  1.    #1  
    The Q is Ginger, while the Treo is Mary Ann (Gilligan's island). While I found Ginger very attractive and sexy, I never trusted her...

    I used a Tre0650 for 16 months. Sold it about 3 months ago. Just picked up a Motorola Q. Been impressed with the device, but have had a few problems which caused me to return the first device and get a second Q. After using the Q for the last week, I was thinking of returning it and getting the 700P. That is until I started reading the threads here on the 700P. Seems there are a lot of issues with software compatibility, which may be as simple as the software companies not updating their product to work on the 700P.

    So I waiver between keeping the Q or getting the P. I am on Verizon, paying an arm and a leg for data access, so I am very concerned that I make the right decision. I had hoped to do a side by side comparison of the Q and the P, but have not been able to find anyone in my area that has a P as a display unit that is using EVDO. So, I am asking anyone who has used both devices to jump in and comment on their experience with both devices, and which they are keeping. Some of the areas that I am questioning are:

    1. Bluetooth - My Treo 650 had horrible bluetooth connections to headsets. Darn near had to hold the phone next to the headset. Is this the same situation with the P? I see some threads here saying they are having bluetooth issues, but I don't know how isolated or widespread these problems are.

    2. Web browsing - Really curious what the web experience is on the 700p with the new browser. How does it compare to the Q? While the Q is widescreen, it has the same number of pixels as the P. So if I pull up the same web page on both units, will I see approximately the same amount of information when looking left to right?

    3. Screen quality - The Q has a very good looking screen. How does the P compare? Is the P screen the same one that is in the Treo 650, or is it changed. I know the pixel count is the same, just wondering if it has been improved at all.

    4. Keyboard lighting - I can't read the Q's keyboard in the dark - eyes are just too old I guess. Is the P's keyboard as bright as the Treo 650?

    5. Radio - The Q seems to have a decent antenna and picks up marginal signals well, how does the P compare?

    6. Call Quality - The Treo 650 had a number of issues that were later resolved on bad sound- everyone complained about the sound on their end of the call. Any problems like this with the P?

    While I like the Q, I am not a zealot in either the palm or moto camp. I am really torn between the two devices. I was set on returning the Q yesterday to get a P, but changed my mind after reading all of the posts in this forum. Thought I better slow down and think this through.

    I see some people in this forum have liked the Q better than the 700W, but I am not interested in that device. So it is the Q vs the P. Seen posts here about P users switching to the Q, but haven't seen many switching back to the 700P. I have 7 days left to make this decision. Your comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by justleft; 06/09/2006 at 09:26 AM.
  2. #2  
    When it came down to it for me, it was WM5 vs Palm. Palm won.

    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    The Q is Ginger, while the Treo is Mary Ann (Gilligan's island). While I found Ginger very attractive and sexy, I never trusted her...

    I used a Tre0650 for 16 months. Sold it about 3 months ago. Just picked up a Motorola Q. Been impressed with the device, but have had a few problems which caused me to return the first device and get a second Q. After using the Q for the last week, I was thinking of returning it and getting the 700P. That is until I started reading the threads here on the 700P. Seems there are a lot of issues with software compatibility, which may be as simple as the software companies not updating their product to work on the 700P.

    So I waiver between keeping the Q or getting the P. I am on Verizon, paying an arm and a leg for data access, so I am very concerned that I make the right decision. I had hoped to do a side by side comparison of the Q and the P, but have not been able to find anyone in my area that has a P as a display unit that is using EVDO. So, I am asking anyone who has used both devices to jump in and comment on their experience with both devices, and which they are keeping. Some of the areas that I am questioning are:

    1. Bluetooth - My Treo 650 had horrible bluetooth connections to headsets. Darn near had to hold the phone next to the headset. Is this the same situation with the P? I see some threads here saying they are having bluetooth issues, but I don't know how isolated or widespread these problems are.

    2. Web browsing - Really curious what the web experience is on the 700p with the new browser. How does it compare to the Q? While the Q is widescreen, it has the same number of pixels as the P. So if I pull up the same web page on both units, will I see approximately the same amount of information when looking left to right?

    3. Screen quality - The Q has a very good looking screen. How does the P compare? Is the P screen the same one that is in the Treo 650, or is it changed. I know the pixel count is the same, just wondering if it has been improved at all.

    4. Keyboard lighting - I can't read the Q's keyboard in the dark - eyes are just too old I guess. Is the P's keyboard as bright as the Treo 650?

    5. Radio - The Q seems to have a decent antenna and picks up marginal signals well, how does the P compare?

    6. Call Quality - The Treo 650 had a number of issues that were later resolved on bad sound- everyone complained about the sound on their end of the call. Any problems like this with the P?

    While I like the Q, I am not a zealot in either the palm or moto camp. I am really torn between the two devices. I was set on returning the Q yesterday to get a P, but changed my mind after reading all of the posts in this forum. Thought I better slow down and think this through.

    I see some people in this forum have liked the Q better than the 700W, but I am not interested in that device. So it is the Q vs the P. Seen posts here about P users switching to the Q, but haven't seen many switching back to the 700P. I have 7 days left to make this decision. Your comments are appreciated.
    Cingular 650/Sprint 650/Sprint 700p (All within one year.)
  3. #3  
    I can give you more info in a day or so. I've used most Treo models, have had a GSM Treo 650 since they came out, have been using a Treo 700p Verizon for six days, and got a Q last night (on a different line) so I can compare the two.

    For your questions:
    1.) The Treo 700p seems to work with bluetooth about as good as my Treo 650 GSM. It linked to my car for address and calls, links to my computer (Apple MacBook Pro), and works fine as a wireless modem via bluetooth. There seems to be the occassional issue with not receiving a file via bluetooth, but it works when tried again. I haven't tried headsets much but it seems to pair and work with a Sony Ericsson HBH-660 (which is listed as unsupported). From the forums it does sound like there are bluetooth headset issues so checking the one you want would be good to check.

    2.) In general it's like the 650 but much faster. In addition to the EVDO, they seem to be caching better. Going back a page is not an exercise in frustration. It has more room the Q, the Q is 320x240, the Treo 320x320.

    3.) Basically the same as 650. My 650 is slightly blueish, my 700p slightly reddish. I think the 700p is closer to a neutral white. About the same brightness on both. Nothing to complain about.

    4.) Same as 650, much much brighter than the Q.

    5.) From only day experience, on my two devices it seems like the 700p is picking up signals slightly better than Q. I'm not sure about voice quality yet, the Q might be slightly better there, but the 700p seems to indicate a stronger signal and picks it up faster.

    6.) Can't really compare since I'm using GSM 650 and Verizon 700p. The Verizon signal certainly seems to be better in most places than the T-Mobile signal on the 650.

    As far as functionality, the Treo beats up the Q and takes it's lunch money while kicking dirt in it's face. But the Q has a compelling form factor.

    The score so far: Treo 700p - six days, minor problems (mainly issues with getting ringtones into it), no resets. Q - 1/2 day, still experimenting, one spontaneous reset so far (looking up the treocentral mobile forums, then bam verizon logo and reset!).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    As far as functionality, the Treo beats up the Q and takes it's lunch money while kicking dirt in it's face. But the Q has a compelling form factor..
    Consider that this was from a Palm OS user who is very familiar with the PalmOS... Dont know how familiar he is with the WM Smartphone edition OS but from his comment I would conclude that he is not very...since if he was I dont think he would of made the comment that he did...
  5. #5  
    Did you have something constructive to say, or did you just feel like criticizing someone you don't know? FYI, I've tried windows devices since back to the iPaq 3600. The OS is still not as good as alternatives.

    I was responding to his questions, not reviewing the Q. I don't think anyone who isn't in denial wouldn't say that the Treo beats up the Q for functionality and the Q beats up the Treo for form factor and lustability. That's why I'm spending my personal money to try it.

    I don't know which yet (or neither) that I will keep. I will say I like the Q much much better than than the 700w when I tried it months ago. The Q has bluetooth that actually works and a cool form factor.

    FYI, I've seen your website, it looks like a good resource for the Q.

    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Consider that this was from a Palm OS user who is very familiar with the PalmOS... Dont know how familiar he is with the WM Smartphone edition OS but from his comment I would conclude that he is not very...since if he was I dont think he would of made the comment that he did...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  6.    #6  
    bcaslis, I am interested in hearing how you find the two compare. Thanks for your reply, and if you wouldn't mind please post your thoughts over the next few days. I have 7 days left to make a decision. I am truly undecided between the two devices. I, like you, was one of the first to have a Treo 650. I got mine within days of when they were released. I have also owned numerous PPCs and like them. I will use whatever device suits my needs best at the moment. I own multiple versions of software - for both the PPC and Palm platform. One of the things that has disappointed me is that some of the vendors consider the WM5 Smartphone a different platform, and want to charge me a third time. One example of this is Illium software. So there is a real cost to me that offsets the cost of the Q in having to purchase additional copies of software that I already own for the PPC (and Palm) platform.
  7. #7  
    I have a 700p and love it, I had a 650 and a 600 before so I'm partial to the Treos. Today one of the guys at work came into work with a Q and I got to play with it. I immediately fell in love with the size of the phone. It is so thin and weighs 1/3 what the Treo does. Appearance and feel was much better than the Treo. That being said I don't like how there is no touchscreen and how I would have to look for new applications. I also didn't like the size/look of the screen.
    I know this isn't a great review but I only had a chance to play with the Q for a few minutes.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I have a 700p and love it, I had a 650 and a 600 before so I'm partial to the Treos. Today one of the guys at work came into work with a Q and I got to play with it. I immediately fell in love with the size of the phone. It is so thin and weighs 1/3 what the Treo does. Appearance and feel was much better than the Treo. That being said I don't like how there is no touchscreen and how I would have to look for new applications. I also didn't like the size/look of the screen.
    I know this isn't a great review but I only had a chance to play with the Q for a few minutes.
    albertb, as I said in my initial note - I see the Q as Ginger and the 700P as MaryAnn. if you watched the series you know what I mean! Really torn on what to do here. One thing i thought would help is to stand the two side by side and view some web pages - although this is impossible with Verizon as no store has them out. Really wierd how they are selling them yet don't have any display models.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    <snip>

    I don't think anyone who isn't in denial wouldn't say that the Treo beats up the Q for functionality and the Q beats up the Treo for form factor and lustability. That's why I'm spending my personal money to try it.

    <snip>
    That's the best to-the-point summary I've seen. Anything beyond that is just noise.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    That's the best to-the-point summary I've seen. Anything beyond that is just noise.
    Even if he missed the point? Just what functionality does the Treo have over the Q?* Do you consider the Treo 700P's inability to multi-task or use 2 BT devices simultaneously improved functionality? It's one-handedness? The requirement to not drag out the stylus to do simple tasks? Besides some personal opinions about basic cosmetics, I'm not seeing the differences.

    *Well, besides editing MSOffice Documents.
    Last edited by Kupe; 06/09/2006 at 11:06 PM.
  11. #11  
    Well, I have to admit that functionality is harder to judge than other stuff like hardware specifications.

    Some people swear by the functionality of the BB; I swore at mine. This is quite apart from the complete lack of aesthetic appeal of the hardward.

    Some people love the MDA/8125/6700 and WM5; I test drove the MDA and decided that the T650 -- for all of its faults -- was more functional as defined by the things I wanted to do.

    I think editing MSOffice documents on a Treo is a mark of insanity. A viewer is fine by me. Santa gives us laptops for editing Word documents and getting real work done. Not Treos.

    So OK. I still like his to-the-point summary. Pithy, memorable, and maybe somewhat devoid of content. But I still like it.

    And you betcha if the Q ever comes to GSM I'm going to whip out the Visa card faster than you can say spit.
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 06/10/2006 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Added confession of lust for the Q
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I immediately fell in love with the size of the phone. It is so thin and weighs 1/3 what the Treo does. Appearance and feel was much better than the Treo. That being said I don't like how there is no touchscreen and how I would have to look for new applications. I also didn't like the size/look of the screen.
    If you have smaller fingers, the Q doesnt feel that great in the hand. The lack of touchscreen didnt bother me but I thought the display didnt look that good (compared to 320x320).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  13. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Did you have something constructive to say, or did you just feel like criticizing someone you don't know? FYI, I've tried windows devices since back to the iPaq 3600. The OS is still not as good as alternatives.
    Sorry brother... no ill will intended... think I was drunk when I posted that ... it being my birthday and all

    (they threw me quite a party at work! )

    Have you used WM Smartphone edition before you got the Q? It is quite different than WM PocketPC edition.

    The one thing i'm really liking about the Q vs 700w is that everything works very well... the UI takes a little getting used too and I still haven't figured out how to do some stuff (like save an attachment from an email message) but all in all....it seems like a very reliable phone with email/contact/calendar capabilities.

    If you are looking for more advanced editing features then there are other options to consider such as the Treo....

    I really feel that the consumer will be more than happy with the features of the Q since I don't think most of them would even use the more advanced capabilities of the other devices....and to them aesthetics wins over function every time

    Wish they would of implemented a menu function when you hold down the thumb wheel instead of it allowing you to adjust the volume... I think that would of been huge for the Q... What I am envisioning is a function similar to WM PocketPC edition when you hold down the stylus on something and a menu pops up....perhaps some third party developer will read this and implement it as a 3rd party app.... just give me credit in the about box
  14. #14  
    I always love these ....vs.... threads, problem is your comparing a $200 device to a $400 device. Some say the Q doesn't have this or that but at that price point it wasn't suppose to have certain features or it wouldn't be in that price range. I would only hope that the more expensive phone is the winner in this.
  15.    #15  
    What I am finding is that the price difference is nonexistent - at least for me anyway. The reason is because I would need to purchase new versions of software to run on this platform. I have purchased software over the last couple of years for both the PPC and Palm. Haven't purchased anything for the smartphone.

    Going to take a trip to Circuit City and see if they got any of the 700Ps in stock.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I always love these ....vs.... threads, problem is your comparing a $200 device to a $400 device. Some say the Q doesn't have this or that but at that price point it wasn't suppose to have certain features or it wouldn't be in that price range. I would only hope that the more expensive phone is the winner in this.
    I find it pretty interesting that the $200 device stacks up so well against the $400 device. You'd think there would be no comparison.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  17. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I think editing MSOffice documents on a Treo is a mark of insanity. A viewer is fine by me. Santa gives us laptops for editing Word documents and getting real work done. Not Treos.
    But why is that? Due to current clunky limitations of the software and UI that allows for it? The small screen and keyboard?

    If someone needs to make an edit or two, and the platform supports it, then that's not insanity; that's an efficient use of gadgetry.

    Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. If I could get my job done without lugging around a laptop, I'd like to.

    Editing MSOffice documents doesn't necessarily mean typing a dissertation. It could mean a few sentences or a spelling correction.

    Think outside the box.
  18. #18  
    How about ease of use? I can't think of one thing that the Q does that's easier to do than the Treo.

    Here's an example, auto keylock? What a pain in the **** to manually lock it. And for unlocking it, you need to hit a key, hit the unlock soft key and then hit the * key (what genius decided to use this key?) within a second of the soft key otherwise it turns off again. You get an incoming call when locked, it displays for about a second then the display goes off while it's still ringing. You can answer or end but you can't see it! What bithering ***** made the decision about this?

    That said I took the Q out for the errands I had to do today. I'm really in love with the form factor. And everywhere I was, the answering caller told me they thought the call quality was great.

    Boy, this device is really a love/hate thing. The Treo is functional and dependable, the form factor was great three years ago, but it's starting to get less impressive as time goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Even if he missed the point? Just what functionality does the Treo have over the Q?* Do you consider the Treo 700P's inability to multi-task or use 2 BT devices simultaneously improved functionality? It's one-handedness? The requirement to not drag out the stylus to do simple tasks? Besides some personal opinions about basic cosmetics, I'm not seeing the differences.

    *Well, besides editing MSOffice Documents.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  19. #19  
    As I noted above, I took the Q out for errands today, and the form factor as a phone is great. The call quality was truly impressive. The voice signal dialing worked well. I even tried in the supermarket and it got it.

    I still think the MS software stinks for the most part. I'm also less than impressed with the third party software I've tried. The expection is the Papyrus calendar program. Very nice, as good as the ones on Palm (although a bit different). Tried an alarm program that display on screen poorly, overwrote fonts so other programs used big LED fonts and couldn't use MP3s in the documents folder even though it claims MP3 support. Had TCPMP white screen the device (found a newer version that seems to run better).

    Use a bluetooth headset with the voice signal recognition. Really cool and worked. Q across the room, press button on headset, give call command, phone call goes through. This is how things are supposed to work.

    The Q clearly embarrasses the Treo on bluetooth. Solid connections and functions that work the first time. Transfered ringtones via bluetooth to Q, everyone worked fine. Transfered ringtones to Treo 700p via bluetooth, 60% success. When it fails, I would usually have to turn bluetooth off and back on on the Treo to get it working again.

    I'm still undecided. But the Q clearly is a better phone. The Q screen looks very good to indoors. Outside today in the sun it didn't look good and hard to see. I didn't have the Treo with it, but it's screen is much easier to see in the sun.

    Side by side on internet, it less clear. For mobile websites, I think IE on the Q actually is pretty good is you set it up right (gasp! a compliment). I have it set to fullscreen for more room. If I need to get to favorites, I hit a softkey once, the keys are available. After selecting something it goes back to full screen automatically. The fonts on the Treo are larger by default and so easier to see (especially if you need reading glasses) but they both fit a similar amount onscreen. It's hard to say why but pictures on websites somehow just seem formatted better on the Q.

    Anther day, another lack of decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    bcaslis, I am interested in hearing how you find the two compare. Thanks for your reply, and if you wouldn't mind please post your thoughts over the next few days. I have 7 days left to make a decision. I am truly undecided between the two devices. I, like you, was one of the first to have a Treo 650. I got mine within days of when they were released. I have also owned numerous PPCs and like them. I will use whatever device suits my needs best at the moment. I own multiple versions of software - for both the PPC and Palm platform. One of the things that has disappointed me is that some of the vendors consider the WM5 Smartphone a different platform, and want to charge me a third time. One example of this is Illium software. So there is a real cost to me that offsets the cost of the Q in having to purchase additional copies of software that I already own for the PPC (and Palm) platform.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  20. #20  
    Well said. I don't find the Q really being any cheaper than the Treo. It's not as flexible, but it's also much lighter. It's also feels much better build to me. This is thing is solid, It's like a solid brick (but a very light one).

    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I find it pretty interesting that the $200 device stacks up so well against the $400 device. You'd think there would be no comparison.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions