Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    I have deployed many WM5 devices and have a pretty good feel for them. All of my deployments are configured for an Exchange interface. Has anyone done an Exchange config with the 700P? (Not POP3 or IMAP4, and not a TSR app on a client machine). It would be nice to be able to talk to an Exchange server directly without a Palm Enterprise server. I am looking for info on a direct Exchange interface or an RPC style config. I have spoken many times with Verizon Senior tech support as well as Palm support and have received conflicting information. The one thing I gather from all support staff I have spoken with is that none of them have actually tried it.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Kudos to all you guys. I have a Motorola 710 and am about to either go with the Q or the 700P. This site has got the best "real" comparison between the two of any I have been to, and I have been looking for weeks.

I want to use my Q/700P for:

1) Phone
    2) Text messaging.
    3) Email
    4) Internet Surfing on EVDO.

With this list, which phone will be better for ME? I have always leaned toward the 700P--don't know why---except there seems to be alot of happy P users out there---but the Q has not been around, so.....what do ya'll think?
    For the reasons you described I'd go with the Treo 700p. I had the Q and thought that the 700p trumped it in texting, email(chatter), phone.
    The Treo is the best text messaging device with it's threaded interface.
    The Q is a nice design, but I found battery life to be bad compared to the 700p (it's bigger for a bigger battery).
    Jimmie Geddes
    Maybe wait until the update comes out for both (or at least the Q). I think it comes down to what OS you want. Palm has more flexibility in both sw and interaction (touchscreen and 5-way navigation). I am gonna look at the Q hard when it is available at Sprint because my needs are much like yours. I find that I really don't use my 650 for anything other than Phone, email, SMS and web surfing. I don't really need all of that cool Palm sw that is out there in the world. I also like carrying my 650 in my pocket and I would like reliable BT - both are better addressed with the Q, IMO. Go look at both and pick the one you feel the most comfortable with - that's how I decided on a 650 over the PPC-6700.

EDIT - I do agree with Jimmy - the threaded text messaging on the Treo is hard to beat.
    I have friends who only use their Treo as a phone, ie. no 3rd party software installed. They love the Treo for being a phone, dialing a contact by typing a few letters, and they are always blown away by the text messaging app.

I had the Q for over a week and liked it, but texting, email, and the phone experience are much better IMO on the Treo. I'd forget to close apps on the Q and would notice slowdowns (gotta love multitasking).
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmy - that brings up another feature that I like about the 650 - typing in about 3 letters and getting that contact on the screen (faster than tabbing to page 2 of Favorites and better than paying money for a speed dialing program, IMO). Is there not something similar on the Q (Outlook)? Now, overall, my previous LG phone was better PHONE - reception, volume, etc. was better than the 650 is.

(The 650 is my first PDA phone - so I have no experience with WM OS)

Oh, Jimmy, there are also some apps for WM and Smartphones for threaded text, such as: TxtMan

I am certainly not throwing my 650 out anytime soon - but I will look at both the Q and probably the 700wx once my 1 yr rebate is available.
    Last edited by bubbatex; 08/21/2006 at 03:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Good stuff. Thanks.
  8.    #168  
    I originated this thread, and for what its worth, decided on the 700P. Had two different Q's, the first was defective. I have not regretted going with the 700P. I was very pleasantly surprised on the quality of the phone on the 700P. It was much better than what I had on the 650.

Quote Originally Posted by gmardre
    Kudos to all you guys. I have a Motorola 710 and am about to either go with the Q or the 700P. This site has got the best "real" comparison between the two of any I have been to, and I have been looking for weeks.

I want to use my Q/700P for:

1) Phone
    2) Text messaging.
    3) Email
    4) Internet Surfing on EVDO.

With this list, which phone will be better for ME? I have always leaned toward the 700P--don't know why---except there seems to be alot of happy P users out there---but the Q has not been around, so.....what do ya'll think?
    Gosh, I have been all over the map on this one but finally decided that I am going to wait for the Sprint Q.......meanwhile will continue to use the 650 which will be two years old by the time I get the Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I have friends who only use their Treo as a phone, ie. no 3rd party software installed. They love the Treo for being a phone, dialing a contact by typing a few letters, and they are always blown away by the text messaging app.

I had the Q for over a week and liked it, but texting, email, and the phone experience are much better IMO on the Treo. I'd forget to close apps on the Q and would notice slowdowns (gotta love multitasking).
    you can multitask on a Q and you can also "kill" the apps just as easily as on a treo.

phone? most all will agree that the "phone/radio" is superior to that of the Treo.

slowdowns? my Treo would need a reset almost daily. if you tried to use more than a few apps coupled with an open camera or internet connection and the phone would be rendered useless.

battery? i actually get SUPERIOR results with the oem battery on the Q. running all the same apps as on my Treo it will last 1/2 day longer.

just some observations

take good care
    like its been said over and over i think people expect way too much out of the Q. IT IS NOT A FULL PDA. its a smartphone running windows mobile NOT the windows 5.0 on the 6700 and 700w. It is NOT touchscreen. It is NOT for heavy business professionals. IT IS for people who need to web surf and check email on the go or other windows tasks in a slim package. the Q WILL NOT REPLACE your PDA/6700/700w. Get a clue people its not a PDA its a phone first, know the limitations of windows on a phone (ie. nextel i930) before you complain it sucks and get all pissed you bought it.

I for one am anxiously awaiting the Sprint Q. I do not expect it to be a 6700. I just need a good phone, unliek the 6700, which can surf on IE explorer and do tasks and email and some other windows stuff. Ive owned many PDA's -Nextel i930, treo 600, 650 two different times, 700p, and 6700 two different times. I totally do not expect it to do all the stuff any of those could. I expect to do the few things I need to do in a slim phone thats a good phone to talk on and decent battery. I understand the limits of the OS and expect it to be similar to the experience with the i930 smartphone from nextel that I had but with QWERTY.
  12.    #172  
    Sometimes things have to be repeated. Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by michman81
    like its been said over and over i think people expect way too much out of the Q. IT IS NOT A FULL PDA. its a smartphone running windows mobile NOT the windows 5.0 on the 6700 and 700w. It is NOT touchscreen. It is NOT for heavy business professionals. IT IS for people who need to web surf and check email on the go or other windows tasks in a slim package. the Q WILL NOT REPLACE your PDA/6700/700w. Get a clue people its not a PDA its a phone first, know the limitations of windows on a phone (ie. nextel i930) before you complain it sucks and get all pissed you bought it.

I for one am anxiously awaiting the Sprint Q. I do not expect it to be a 6700. I just need a good phone, unliek the 6700, which can surf on IE explorer and do tasks and email and some other windows stuff. Ive owned many PDA's -Nextel i930, treo 600, 650 two different times, 700p, and 6700 two different times. I totally do not expect it to do all the stuff any of those could. I expect to do the few things I need to do in a slim phone thats a good phone to talk on and decent battery. I understand the limits of the OS and expect it to be similar to the experience with the i930 smartphone from nextel that I had but with QWERTY.
    Full use of the Bluetooth was important to me also and the Q has that.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    So, if a person was going to use one of these ( Q v P ) JUST for the phone--it
    would be the Q ???

tia
  15.    #175  
    The radios in both phones are excellent. I didn't notice any differences. However, the bluetooth in the Q was superior to the 700P (IMHO). Worked with a number of BT headsets, no static on the line whatsoever. Also voicedial worked through the bluetooth headset on the Q.

My biggest problem with the Q was that mine shut off (2 different units) without warning. There was no way to tell that the phone was off - until I tried placing a call.

If you are looking solely for a phone, and don't care about a touchscreen or a PDA, the Q is hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by gmardre
    So, if a person was going to use one of these ( Q v P ) JUST for the phone--it
    would be the Q ???

tia
    ^^ exactly! and seriously, why in God's name would anyone want the bulkiness and weight of a Treo if all they wanted was phone functionality coupled with standard email/text and internet use?

give me my laptop for anything else
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    ...no,no...I think my decision problems are the same as everyone else's: I trust the Palm OS--sort of like an Apple Computer. I have had Palms and they work. Simply. The Q IS small and all, but the smallness makes it look cheaper or something, like there might be something missing inside. ( I know..... ) I do not ever expect to alter a word doc. But I do text message alot. I'm on the phone a lot. When my city gets EVDO, I want to get on the internet. I read where the Palm has a better resolution, then somewhere else I read that the Q has some sort of "rendering" for the screen so that even though the P has better resolution, the pictures and browsing looked better on the Q. These things ARE confusing. Then there's the whole pocket thing.

Perhaps I should just wait until Palm comes out with a hybrid. Thanks for you on this blog. It is by FAR the best, most honest--with no axe to grind---on the internet.
    gm
    Smallness is a relative thing. The Q is much thinner than the Treo and lighter but it is wider and longer (except for antenna). To be honest the Treo "feels" smaller in the hand than the Q except for weight. I'd also have to say that I could never get used to the Q keyboard. It also fealt wrong somehow. I was very torn about keeping it or returning it, but after I returned it I didn't miss it.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Smallness is a relative thing. The Q is much thinner than the Treo and lighter but it is wider and longer (except for antenna). To be honest the Treo "feels" smaller in the hand than the Q except for weight. I'd also have to say that I could never get used to the Q keyboard. It also fealt wrong somehow. I was very torn about keeping it or returning it, but after I returned it I didn't miss it.
    Funny thing that "feel". I have a feeling that once I play with the Q (I like what I see, but I have not actually seen one yet) that my opinion may change and I'll stick with the Palm (wx is certainly on my list). I was a little concerned about the width of the Q - how would it feel in my hand. Gotta go see one now. BTW - I like the weight of the Treo except when it is in my pocket (my prefered "holster")!
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    You guys may have just hit it. It is that "feel". The width of the Q is a little too wide for my hands, too. And the weight of the P adds "worth", or something. The P does [I]feel better.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast