Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Excellent review and posting. Although your focus is different than mine, I'd love to hear more thoughts as you finish testing. I'm in a similar quandry in that I do find some of the aspect of the Q limiting (hello motorola how about a calender BUTTON?), the phone aspects are just so good that I'm entralled with this aspect of it.

I had a call this morning that I had to take. I went from home to the car to work all talking on the phone via bluetooth connections. Worked perfectly through all the changes and location along with almost land line quality. I would not have ever attempted this on the Treo.

I do like the apps almost without exception better on the Treo, but the size, feel, phone quality, and bluetooth keep drawing me back to the Q. Battery life also seems to be getting better and better. The first day was terrible, but it seems to lasting longer and longer each day so far.

Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    AFter reading this entire thread just now, I feel compelled to post my thoughts.
    ... snip ....
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I'm not sure but it might be possible to do data only on the Q (although I wouldn't personall). I have the salesman quote me a price on service which was data only but I told him I wanted voice and data. I'm sure that if you did do data only the price of the Q would be more than the $199 that's being offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Wife or no wife, I can't afford Verizon,lol. If I kept the Q I'd be paying close to $100 a month. With my 700p I am paying around $50 a month, this is what Sprint has going for it their cheap plans. I REALLY, REALLY like the Q, but can't justify paying that much per month. I wish I could keep the Q and have a data only plan,lol.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    one thing is for sure - Verizon sure is pumping the Q - ads and even tv commercials are everywhere. How many 700p ads have you seen? I am hoping some future generation of the Q over at Sprint as I am looking for a better phone (with real BT), email and web. My 650 is really capable of way more than I need. I just can't afford Verizon's plans. I am like you Jimmie - I have 3 lines with free Vision and I only pay about $115/mo. Can't imagine paying that for only one line!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    one thing is for sure - Verizon sure is pumping the Q - ads and even tv commercials are everywhere. How many 700p ads have you seen? I am hoping some future generation of the Q over at Sprint as I am looking for a better phone (with real BT), email and web. My 650 is really capable of way more than I need. I just can't afford Verizon's plans. I am like you Jimmie - I have 3 lines with free Vision and I only pay about $115/mo. Can't imagine paying that for only one line!
    Well I got ya all beat on that...yes Verizon is expensive - my total nut with Good is going to run me in the range of $145 + taxes per month

No, not happy about that...but it is a business expense so I do get to either write it off or have it reimbursed by my company...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Wow, $145 a month??? Gotta love Verizon That's CRAZY.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    but it is a business expense so I do get to either write it off or have it reimbursed by my company...
    VERY important part of the equation! Mine is outta pocket.
    Well I got ya all beat on that...yes Verizon is expensive - my total nut with Good is going to run me in the range of $145 + taxes per month

No, not happy about that...but it is a business expense so I do get to either write it off or have it reimbursed by my company...
    That's insane!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Wow, $145 a month??? Gotta love Verizon That's CRAZY.
    $109 for data + voice (1350 min plan)
    $5.99 for insurance (do I really need it...maybe I should get 3rd party insurance)
    (get 2000 SMS for free though)
    + taxes

$9.95 month for exchange hosted
    $19.95 a month for good hosted
    $2 a month for exchange active sync (using for contacts only)

=

a lot more than I would like to pay!

But with PDAnet working very well to tether with my laptop, it's actually a bargian for business use when you think about it. Email is my primary means of communication with my team - meeting requests, to do list etc are all primary business tools. No way I can live without this unless I want a different job
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    I guess if your job reimburses you for it, it's acceptable. I just could never imgaine spending $100 a month for my cell phone, let alone $145. At times like this I am happy I'm a Sprint customer. $50 a month is what I pay now for my 700p
    Jimmie Geddes
    Even Cingular treats you better than this. I'm on family plan, four lines and unlimited media net (EDGE, no 3g yet) for $140 plus all the mish-mash of taxes and line charges.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I don't even want to use the Q anymore since I know I can't keep it,lol. It's been fun Back to my "old" Treo 700p
    Jimmie Geddes
    I can't say this enough: if you are like me and coming over from Chatter on the Treo and you like the form factor of the Q but can't stand the pocket "outlook" on the Q - GIVE GOOD A TRY.

Good is fantastic on the Q. Good did an awesome job of making their app easily one handed on the Q. Good 4.8 supports one key short cuts - "D" for delete, "F" for forward, etc. You can copy and paste within Good apps. You can really customize the look on your Q - 1 or 2 line view for emails, selection of 3 different font sizes (Small, Medium, Large). With the "medium" font & 1 line emails (and no auto preview) I can see 8 emails at a time on the screen in my inbox! Good also supports notifications of subfolder messages in your Exchange inbox. While no "summary" inbox is available, at least you can get notification on new emails in your subfolders (not possible with the pocket outlook).

There are some shortcomings of Good - which are Good issues in general and not Q issues. These are:

1) you can't send attachments in an email. You can forward in email already in your exchange account from Good that has an attachment, but you can't attach something from your device. Good is working on this (supposedly) but the quick fix is to just setup a pop3 or IMAP account to send attachments. a little more work but doable

2) no recurring tasks or appointment creation on the device. Recurring tasks setup through Exchange using a desktop client or OWA show up as indidvidual tasks on the device. This is a bummer, not a deal breaker for me, but Good needs to get on the ball with this as these are pretty standard corporate scenarios.

3) No summary inbox like Chatter. This is a nice feature of Chatter, very nice. Would be great on Good...

4) Attached pictures for contacts don't show up on the device unless you have the default (non Good) contacts synced with your exchange server as well

5) no support in Good contacts for birthdays, anniversary's etc (would be nice).

But for me, Good has made the Q a totally different device. Today is day 14 for me on my trial. I am KEEPING the Q and selling my Treo650 that I have used for 15 months. Without Good it would be a much harder decision. The form factor of the Q is awesome - no question. The phone quality is very good, BT voice dialing is a dream come true. OS runs a little slow, but that's a tradeoff I can easily live with when I have Good on my device!

So if you like the Q (for the most part) but the email is bugging you TRY GOOD. I can't say that enough. And no, I don't work for Good - although I probably should!
    seaflipper - can you set up and access other non-exchange email accounts on the Q with Good installed? That is a critical point for me, thanks
    seaflipper - can you set up and access other non-exchange email accounts on the Q with Good installed? That is a critical point for me, thanks
    Not through Good. Good can only be linked to one Exchange account.

But YES you can do this through the pocket outlook - IMAP or POP3 and even Exchange Active sync if you want, all while Good is running - it's not a problem.

This is exactly how I send emails with attachments since Good doesn't support that yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Even Cingular treats you better than this. I'm on family plan, four lines and unlimited media net (EDGE, no 3g yet) for $140 plus all the mish-mash of taxes and line charges.
    I'm currently with good old "Cingular Blue" (former AT&T Wireless). I am on an account with 5 other lines (3 shared and 2 shared accounts) and the monthly fees with that are on par with what I am going to pay with Verizion....

However, I think it's time those other lines get moved over to Cingular, it sounds like it's cheaper at Cingular...which is what I heard would happen to motivate Blue's over to Orange...
    I guess if your job reimburses you for it, it's acceptable. I just could never imgaine spending $100 a month for my cell phone, let alone $145. At times like this I am happy I'm a Sprint customer. $50 a month is what I pay now for my 700p
    I also work from home and don't have a landline for business - so my cell is my business line & my mobile email etc for when I am out at clients...and EVDO is for tethering with my laptop to do software demos for clients...

Sounding cheaper by the minute, eh?

Not through Good. Good can only be linked to one Exchange account.

But YES you can do this through the pocket outlook - IMAP or POP3 and even Exchange Active sync if you want, all while Good is running - it's not a problem.

This is exactly how I send emails with attachments since Good doesn't support that yet...
    That is exactly what I meant. I just need access through Pocket Outlook to get to the accounts. So Good doesn't wipe out or hijack your contact list like it did in the Treo 600? Do you have a Good contact list and a resident contact list?
    That is exactly what I meant. I just need access through Pocket Outlook to get to the accounts. So Good doesn't wipe out or hijack your contact list like it did in the Treo 600? Do you have a Good contact list and a resident contact list?
    Yes, it does "hijack" your contact list so to speak - I know what you mean about that. Good has it's own contact list which is pulled from your Excahnge account. For security reasons this does not reside on your device - or if it does "reside" on the device it's in a protected shell that your phone can't access other than through Good.

But there is a workaround for this now that maybe didn't or doesn't exist on the 600. You can still sync the default contact list on the Q (and on the 650 for that matter) with Outlook on your desktop or Exchange (the same DB that Good pulls from - which is what I do) and then all the default apps on the Q will pull from that and not from Good.

As long as you make sure to sync both (and you can do this all over the air if you want with Wireless Exchange ActiveSync) then the Q bascially acts as you expect it to: voice dialing works fine, sending an email to someone from the pocket outlook pulls from the default (not good) contacts, SMS the same etc... The fact that you could ActivSync to your PC Outlook contacts means that you could use Good for your business contacts & email and then use the default PIM for personal stuff. Actually, a very nice compromise that people have wanted for a long time. With Good it's very easy because the defaults db's on the device remain untouched.

It works very well in this regard, Good has much improved this aspect (and compalint from users). In fact, there is a setting you can change in Good prefernces to force use of the phone system dialer -which means that when you hit the call button to bring up the phone app, the contacts that are on the phone (not Good) are the ones you are looking at. If you want to dial from Good, you go to good contacts and dial from there. Since I mirror these 2 anyway it's no different to me either way - but some might like to maintain totally different contact lists...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    It is not just about the weight....it is also about functionality and usability. For someone who is a heavy email and PDA user, Q is most likely not the right smartphone for him/her.
    it's not? i cycle thru hundreds and hundreds of msgs per day. but then again, i'm using Goodlink.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    And that cost differential should be considered when folks are comparing the Q to the Treo ("at double the price.")

The Q looks good to me, but I'd rather not get raped by Verizon, thankyewverymuch.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Battery life also seems to be getting better and better. The first day was terrible, but it seems to lasting longer and longer each day so far.
    I noticed the same with my Treo, but I'm pretty sure it's just because as the days went on, I wasn't tinkering with it quite as much.