Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I also prefer the way the 700p feels in my hand as well. The Q is kind of wide, but that's how it retains it's slim physique.
    Jimmie Geddes
    The Q feels very much like a blackberry.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Mazda Miata vs Toyota Landcruiser?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    Well this might be hard to believe, but I actually like the feel of the 700P in my hand better than the Q. I like the rounded edges vs the sharp edges, and the extra weight is not a problem.
    I am with you, justleft.

The Treo feels like Jennifier Lopez while the Q feels like Ann Coulter
    Last edited by Rome; 06/13/2006 at 11:00 PM.
    yes, the moto-q is made out of plastic, just like the Treo! as for the weight, i've never known anyone (biz user) to choose MORE WEIGHT over LESS WEIGHT, but i suppose "to each his own." won't disagree with the rounded edgeds. does it feel like a blackberry? yes, as it's intended to, as it is the target audience. its fair comparison is the Blackberry, not the Treo.

they're all made out of plastic!
    It is not just about the weight....it is also about functionality and usability. For someone who is a heavy email and PDA user, Q is most likely not the right smartphone for him/her.
    I disagree that we shouldn't compare this to the Treo. Motorola is marketing this at consumers, not corps, though many of those consumers will be shocked when they're told what the *real* cost is (with Verizon's data plan). On that note, I've noticed an interesting phenomenon online with the "Q interested": many are inquiring about using it *without* a data plan. Strange but true.

In terms of functionality and ease of use, I agree that the Palm OS Treo 700p is superior in most ways, but many of these issues can and will be corrected as developers focus energy on this. Better consumer-focused email apps will come, Q-optimized task switchers and app launchers, and more.

As I've said before, the Q has some real faults that no amount of software will overcome, but are they significant enough to dissuade interested buyers? For some 'yes', for others 'no'.

One big problem, though, is that the Q is getting too much attention for its low price, which is a bit of a bait and switch IMO. In terms of TCO, a Sprint 700p is cheaper in less than a year. I've heard no rumblings about Sprint getting the Q anytime soon. Engadget recently posted that a UMTS Cingular Q may be next (in early 2007).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Well a Motorola exec predicts that the Q will be available for $50 by the end of 2006. http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...-umts-by-2007/

That'll just boost sales even more. Regular Joes will buy it.
    UMTS - here I come for Christmas and Cingular baby (if I can get an unlocked version)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    AFter reading this entire thread just now, I feel compelled to post my thoughts.

I have been a long time PDA user over the past 10+ years (since the Palm Pilot days, even before the Professional version came out). I have used nearly every version of the Pilot, including the clumsy wireless VIIx, and then used 2 PPC devices, the original Goodlink device, then another PPC device, then a Treo 600.

I had a 700w for about 2 months and have now been using a Q for about a week in a trial period. I had to try something else other than the 700w because I had to do (literally) 4 or 5 hard resets for problems with my device, and when I got VZW to ship me another one to replace it, I decided I had to try the Q.

I travel frequently, so access to email & calendar & contacts are a must, as is basic useability and reliability. Since I am also picky, I tend to customize with better home screens & UI-improvements, likme Pocket Informant, Pocket Breeze, and right now, Papyrus (although I don't like that as much as PB). I play no games, watch no video, and will likely never carry music around to use the WMPlayer.

I am no expert, but I consider myself to be a strong power user of Outlook and PDA devices, and am pretty persnickety about UI, form factor, and specs.

My thoughts:
    • form factor: Q wins, hands down IMO
    • phone quality: Q wins, hands down IMO. the fact that you can choose "profiles" on the Q speak to its focus in this area - and the one I love the most is "automatic" - wherein the Q checks your calendar and if you have a meeting scheduled, it automatically puts the phone in Meeting mode. Simple, but pretty cool. The call clarity and quality is as good as the StarTAC was - and that was one great (basic) phone.
    • PDA "usefullness": this is a tough one. I don't care if I cannot create an excel sheet on my PDA (how many times have I done that in several years; I could probably count on one hand), but the lack of certain features on the Smartphone OS is aggravating, to say the least: no copy/paste, no ability to edit a task or add a reminder when created on the device, etc. I will say, however, that perhaps simplicity is better - I have reset the Q once in a week versus (and I am not kidding here) 76 times on the 700w in the 3 weeks prior to me getting the new 700w that I mentioned above.
    • OS: generally more robust than Palm OS, but has quirks for sure. I am still getting used to the Smartphone versus Phone Edition WM5, but at least it does a better job of "multi-tasking."
    • "pocket" factor: Q wins easily. easily.
    • Email, etc.: here, I struggle. I used MSFP on the Treo, and it was great, when it worked. The Q doesn't have it yet, so it's a harder comparison. I do believe that although I didn't use Good on the 700w, that it is a better technical solution (and that is not meant in a strictly technical perspective - read enough of my posts here complaining about the lack of customizable features, limitations, etc. of Goodlink - but I have to admit that it works EVERYT TIME. MSFT cannot claim anywhere near this level of competency, in spite of the fact that the feature set is generally better since it's native. I just wish Good would get off their butts and give us some simple improvements - like making the damned calendar workable - who needs just a "dot" on a day in the month view - does that mean 1 appt, 2 appts, 3 appts, what? That's right - you CANNOT TELL until you go into that day. Stupid, and way overdue to change. {excuse the rant, I got off on quite a tantrum there on my soapbox}

Bottom line: I am probably going to try Goodlink out on the device for a few days left in my Q trial period, mostly to try to deal with the frustrating aspects of the Smartphone Pocket Outlook edition (like tasks, mentioned above).

If Goodlink, with all its shortcomings, works well, is more customizable from the home screen than was that ridiculously terrible Treo 600 version, and allows me to still access my other email accounts on the device (which I am worried it won't - can someone tell me if it does??), I will probably stick with the Q. Of course, then, I have to buy a miniSD which is irritating, but hey, that's the price of progress, right?

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    If Goodlink, with all its shortcomings, works well, is more customizable from the home screen than was that ridiculously terrible Treo 600 version, and allows me to still access my other email accounts on the device (which I am worried it won't - can someone tell me if it does??), I will probably stick with the Q. Of course, then, I have to buy a miniSD which is irritating, but hey, that's the price of progress, right?

Just my $0.02.
    Don't give up too soon. My 2125 was great, but I needed a keyboard for heavy email use (so switched to 8125). Since you've got that covered, go to:

airfagev.com

They have a great selection of smartphone version add on software, some of it free, like tasks+, that "fix" the problems with Smartphone. Check out Oxios To Do List program; Smartphonenotes; etc. They make awesome improvements in the "missing" parts of the Smartphone version of WM5.

I'm just praying for a Samsung i320 with quad band GSM for Christmas...
    I'v been using the Q more today, and it's getting better. I setup my email with pocket outlook and while it's no chatter yet, it does a nice job getting it every 15 minutes. I am going to check out the website Dstrauss suggested. I am still having weird speeds with EV-DO and Verizon, I mostly only get speeds between 100 and 200 kbits, while my 700p is 350-400. I was wrong about the size, I had the q in my pocket and forgot that it was there, I always know me Treo is there. Having a change of heart? I still prefer my 700p, and would like to keep the Q, I still have 12 days to decide. The Q is turning out better than I expected
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie

Be careful, it's going to grow on ya (or should I say, "shrink" compared to the Treo)

Seriously, check out that site, and Smartphone.net. I hate to spend the money on third party solutions, but some of those gadgets can help make smartphone edition a much more comfortable environment (of all its shortcomings, I cannot understand the failure to handle/sync Notes - that's inexcusable).
    I can't say this enough: if you are like me and coming over from Chatter on the Treo and you like the form factor of the Q but can't stand the pocket "outlook" on the Q - GIVE GOOD A TRY.

Good is fantastic on the Q. Good did an awesome job of making their app easily one handed on the Q. Good 4.8 supports one key short cuts - "D" for delete, "F" for forward, etc. You can copy and paste within Good apps. You can really customize the look on your Q - 1 or 2 line view for emails, selection of 3 different font sizes (Small, Medium, Large). With the "medium" font & 1 line emails (and no auto preview) I can see 8 emails at a time on the screen in my inbox! Good also supports notifications of subfolder messages in your Exchange inbox. While no "summary" inbox is available, at least you can get notification on new emails in your subfolders (not possible with the pocket outlook).

There are some shortcomings of Good - which are Good issues in general and not Q issues. These are:

1) you can't send attachments in an email. You can forward in email already in your exchange account from Good that has an attachment, but you can't attach something from your device. Good is working on this (supposedly) but the quick fix is to just setup a pop3 or IMAP account to send attachments. a little more work but doable

2) no recurring tasks or appointment creation on the device. Recurring tasks setup through Exchange using a desktop client or OWA show up as indidvidual tasks on the device. This is a bummer, not a deal breaker for me, but Good needs to get on the ball with this as these are pretty standard corporate scenarios.

3) No summary inbox like Chatter. This is a nice feature of Chatter, very nice. Would be great on Good...

4) Attached pictures for contacts don't show up on the device unless you have the default (non Good) contacts synced with your exchange server as well

5) no support in Good contacts for birthdays, anniversary's etc (would be nice).

But for me, Good has made the Q a totally different device. Today is day 14 for me on my trial. I am KEEPING the Q and selling my Treo650 that I have used for 15 months. Without Good it would be a much harder decision. The form factor of the Q is awesome - no question. The phone quality is very good, BT voice dialing is a dream come true. OS runs a little slow, but that's a tradeoff I can easily live with when I have Good on my device!

So if you like the Q (for the most part) but the email is bugging you TRY GOOD. I can't say that enough. And no, I don't work for Good - although I probably should!
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    I'm being careful,lol. I know that I can't keep it, Verizon is way too much for data. I can't have 2 phones with 2 different carriers,lol. Or can I? It's nice to play with though. Thanks for the tips.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I can't have 2 phones with 2 different carriers,lol. Or can I?
    Depends on the wife....
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I disagree that we shouldn't compare this to the Treo. Motorola is marketing this at consumers, not corps, though many of those consumers will be shocked when they're told what the *real* cost is (with Verizon's data plan). On that note, I've noticed an interesting phenomenon online with the "Q interested": many are inquiring about using it *without* a data plan. Strange but true.

In terms of functionality and ease of use, I agree that the Palm OS Treo 700p is superior in most ways, but many of these issues can and will be corrected as developers focus energy on this. Better consumer-focused email apps will come, Q-optimized task switchers and app launchers, and more.

As I've said before, the Q has some real faults that no amount of software will overcome, but are they significant enough to dissuade interested buyers? For some 'yes', for others 'no'.

One big problem, though, is that the Q is getting too much attention for its low price, which is a bit of a bait and switch IMO. In terms of TCO, a Sprint 700p is cheaper in less than a year. I've heard no rumblings about Sprint getting the Q anytime soon. Engadget recently posted that a UMTS Cingular Q may be next (in early 2007).
    I agree with many of your points, if not all. If people are buying the Qs without buying the data service, that's not good news for Verizon.

Another interesting point is that Telus up in Canada is selling the Q for $249 with a 3 year contract or $599 without one. I wonder how much Verizon is subsidizing the Q.

I also think that Sprint/VZ will drop the price of 700w and 700P once the 700w exclusive period is over early next month.

Competition is good
    Seaflipper, does the Good service on Q cost extra? If so, how much? I am assuming that it will be a monthly fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Seaflipper, does the Good service on Q cost extra? If so, how much? I am assuming that it will be a monthly fee.
    Rome, yes it does cost extra.

It's a monthly access charge and while not exactly cheap, it is cheaper than Blackberry on the whole.

There are several companies that offer Good hosting. Cost ranges from $9.95 a month to $19.95 a month + the cost of an Exchange account. Good runs in conjunction with an Exchange account. Hosted Exchange is usually about $9.95 a month as well - so your totaly monthly nut would be in the $20 to $30 range.

When you add that on top of the Verizion data plans it does start to add up, no question. But as they say "you get what you pay for" and the beauty of Good is that it is device independent. Currently they support 22 different handheld devices including all of the popular ones. This is a big deal really because BB can't compete with that.

Here are some places you can check out Good (I use mailstreet.com, but there are others)

http://www.mailstreet.com
    http://www.intermedia.net
    http://www.themessagecenter.com

Good has a list on their website of hosted services. Most people use Good through their workplace.
    Wife or no wife, I can't afford Verizon,lol. If I kept the Q I'd be paying close to $100 a month. With my 700p I am paying around $50 a month, this is what Sprint has going for it their cheap plans. I REALLY, REALLY like the Q, but can't justify paying that much per month. I wish I could keep the Q and have a data only plan,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast