Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I couldn't imagine giving up the Treo for the Q. If I never had a Treo the Q might be considered. I just feel that I can do so much more with the 700p and Palm OS than I can do with the Q and Windows Mobile 5 smartphone. Motorola I think would have a clear winner if they had gone with the standard Windows Mobile 5, so many more apps to use. It's a great device for first time smartphone users (that's not an insult to you bcaslis), especially due to it's price. It wasn't painful having to pay $172 for a new, top of the line smartphone. I just feel my 700p runs circles around the Q, at least for me.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I wouldn't agrue that the Treo does more. The question for me is does the Q do enough to keep it and benefit from it's better phone, bluetooth, and size.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Do you really feel that the Q is more pocketable than the 700p? I have both in front of me, the q isn't too much thinner than the 700p, I was expecting it to be alot thinner. I even posted pics to my site showing the difference. I'm not trying to keep you on the Treo team,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I couldn't imagine giving up the Treo for the Q. If I never had a Treo the Q might be considered. I just feel that I can do so much more with the 700p and Palm OS than I can do with the Q and Windows Mobile 5 smartphone. Motorola I think would have a clear winner if they had gone with the standard Windows Mobile 5, so many more apps to use. It's a great device for first time smartphone users (that's not an insult to you bcaslis), especially due to it's price. It wasn't painful having to pay $172 for a new, top of the line smartphone. I just feel my 700p runs circles around the Q, at least for me.
    This is one of the reasons I always came back to my 650 after trying out the PPC6601 and BB 7250. It really is hard to beat the whole package of the Treo: Size, Battery-life, Multimedia, and ease of use. Of course I am a Palm user since the IIIxe and I am sure that figures in largely in the way I use these devices.

But I think the Q is much more of a BB competitor than Treo; just look at the price point the Q is the same price as the 7130e. The Treo has alot more functionality and it is twice the price for good reason. As far as the stock analyst commenting on how it is outselling the Treo, 8125 and others; I think any of us could have predicted that given the price points of the phones he is comparing the Q against.

Comparing the Q and Treo is like comparing an emachine desktop to an Apple Dual G5. Yeah the eMachine does alot of the same stuff but not anywhere near as well as the G5.

I am not making this comparison to knock the Q because it sounds like a pretty nifty smartphone but it really isn't designed to compete with the PDAphones IMHO. Like someone else said if you need lite-pda functionality get the Q if you need more get a Treo(p or w), or the 6700.
    Nice way of putting it bcoutlander
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoutlander
    Comparing the Q and Treo is like comparing an emachine desktop to an Apple Dual G5. Yeah the eMachine does alot of the same stuff but not anywhere near as well as the G5.

Like playing games? Terrible comparison in my opinion... The reason everyone is comparing the Treo to the Motorola Q is because, the Treo has become the "standard" in smartphones and the Moto Q does so much of what the Treo line does for very cheap. Infact it does some things a Treo can't even do. Wifi, multitask, etc. I hear videos are VERY crisp on the Moto Q. The new 700p is having problems playing music and doing other things without stuttering. I'm not going out and buying a Q, but I wouldn't buy the Treo 650+ either. They are selling more because it is cheaper, is a nice form factor and because of the marketing blitz going on. The Q is a 1st iteration of this type of device from Motorola is doing very well. The Treo is on its 5th generation and is uninovative and very expensive. It doesn't really matter who the Q is competing with, if the device sells and make money then the company is betterr for it. In my opinion it, like EVERY phone, is competing with everyone. Smartphones, PDA phones and dumb phones alike. If you buy a Q you didn't buy something else, simple as that.

Lonzo
    Its true to say that to NEW smartphone users, the Treo 700 will have to justify being $300 more expensive, and that might not be very easy.

The list might be - can edit word documents, touch screen, easier to use. Thats not too much.

Surur
    The Q has it for first time smartphone customers, $199 is much easier to pay than $399 unless you're a geek that posts/reads boards like these. Typical users will be hypnotized by the "RAZR" smartphone for it's wow factor, I fell into that, Motorola your plan works!!

Palm is missing the boat right now, but that's probably where lowrider comes in. A less expensive (full) Windows Mobile and Palm OS Treo at $199 sounds right. By then the Q will be $50, or free. Look at how much the RAZR debuted at $499.

I've used the Q a little more today, and it's not bad. If I didn't already have a Treo 700p this could be doable. This is going to do VERY, VERY well, just not for me.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I'm really on the fence on this thing vs. a Treo. I enjoy reading everyone's comments and opinions about the Q and the 700p. One day I lean toward one device - the next day I lean a different way.

I guess my only complaint is really a compliment. My Treo 650 works very well for me, and a 700p just doesn't feel exciting or fun. That's why I have that "wandering eye."
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoutlander
    Comparing the Q and Treo is like comparing an emachine desktop to an Apple Dual G5. Yeah the eMachine does alot of the same stuff but not anywhere near as well as the G5...
    I think you've got the wrong comparison. It's more like comparing a two seat sports car ("Q") to a mni-van (Treo). There's a lot of glitz to the flashy sports car, and it can get you from "A" to "B" just like the mini-van, but when you have to pile in the kids and grandma, haul lots of luggage, and the dog, you need the horse power of the mini-van.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    lol, another way of looking at things/
    Jimmie Geddes
    Heberman, remember that a wandering eye usually thinks the grass looks greener on the other side. It doesn't. If you're happy with a Treo, going to a Q is not the answer, trust me. If you were coming from a RAZR, SLVR, PEBL, LG, etc the Q is very green
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 06/13/2006 at 05:44 PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I think you've got the wrong comparison. It's more like comparing a two seat sports car ("Q") to a mni-van (Treo). There's a lot of glitz to the flashy sports car, and it can get you from "A" to "B" just like the mini-van, but when you have to pile in the kids and grandma, haul lots of luggage, and the dog, you need the horse power of the mini-van.
    Ha, but in this case, the Porsche costs half as much as that Sienna, so which is the more practical choice
    i've had my Moto-Q for almost two weeks now. i also own a T700w and have used most all the rest of them.

it's definately more thin and pocketable than any Treo i've owned. it's almost half the weight!

does the treo do more? of course, by virtue of its PPC operating system. does the Moto Q does almost everything the Treo can do at a much lesser price coupled with a better form factor and greater stability? you betcha!

have i looked for my treo even once while using the Moto? not once. seriously, i've not found one reason to use it in the Moto's place. have i found myself wasting less time fiddling with the stupid device (resets, frozen screens and the like)? yes, lots less.

do all i need my pda for is to read/respond to emails/bloombergs, basic phone use and internet connectivity? yes. did the moto-q exist after the fact, yes. do i like the blackberries? no, especially in comparison to the Moto.

i've posted many thoughts and reviews on the new Moto and to say the least i'm quite pleased with the device. my local store sold over 30 units the day i purchased mine. they're going to sell lots of them because in the end they do what many people want and at a much lower price-point than the Treo line. the only person not buying this phone is he/she who does not want (or can't) pay Verizon's prices or who is a die-hard fan of the palm op system.

i'm happy with it and i own a treo. there is more to life.
    But you own a Windows Mobile Treo
    Jimmie Geddes
    I find the Q far more pocketable than the Treo. It's half the thickness, slightly more than half the weight, a little taller (minus the antenna), and a little wider.

After using it only for a couple of days, I picked up the Treo and was stunned by the difference. The thickness difference is huge once you get used to it. I'm very surprised by those claiming it feels cheap. It's solid as a rock, far more solid than the 700p in my opinion (not saying the 700p is bad, just comparing).

I'm still undecided but I think the Q is going to sell tons. It does what at least 90% of the people I've ever seen using a PDA do. I may be an ***** but it really seem to give off much more quality than the price implies. The little stereo speakers on it give good ringtones a whole different sound than the Treo (not loudness, but quality of sound).

The Treo moto used to be that the device needs to be more phone-like. The Q just buries the Treo in phone quality. It's give far better sound quality than I've ever heard from a Treo 270, 600, 650, 700w, or 700p. The bluetooth also shows how it's supposed to be done rather than Palm's constantly inferior implementation. I thought all the bluetooth problems I had with the 700w were due to WM5, but that's clearly not the case.

This may not be the smartphone for the majority here, but I bet it's going to dwarf Verizon Treo sales. Once they release on other carriers, it could be a real problem for Palm.

Do you really feel that the Q is more pocketable than the 700p? I have both in front of me, the q isn't too much thinner than the 700p, I was expecting it to be alot thinner. I even posted pics to my site showing the difference. I'm not trying to keep you on the Treo team,lol.
    To each his own The Q will outsell Treos, # of devices sold does not indicate the superior product. The Q is a nice device, and it will do very well. Some people will prefer the 700p, some the 700w, some the Q. To each his own. Use what works for you I don't want to start a flame war.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I stopped by Verizon and played with the Q again this afternoon. Maybe it is just me, but the Q feels very "plastic." The 5 way D-Pad was very uncomfortable to use, and the flat function keys were kind of lame.

I also don't think that the corporate users will go for the Q either, especially if they are being reimbursed for it.

Anyhow, choice is good in the smartphone market. Competition will drive innovation....unlike the PC market
    No argument there (I run a Mac only household)!

...To each his own The Q will outsell Treos, # of devices sold does not indicate the superior product...
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I stopped by Verizon and played with the Q again this afternoon. Maybe it is just me, but the Q feels very "plastic." The 5 way D-Pad was very uncomfortable to use, and the flat function keys were kind of lame.

I also don't think that the corporate users will go for the Q either, especially if they are being reimbursed for it.

Anyhow, choice is good in the smartphone market. Competition will drive innovation....unlike the PC market
    Well this might be hard to believe, but I actually like the feel of the 700P in my hand better than the Q. I like the rounded edges vs the sharp edges, and the extra weight is not a problem.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast