Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    The reason it's the 700P against the Q is there are many Treo customers that were disappointed in the minor upgrades the 700P have to offer. They've already looked at the 700W and don't like it and/or do not want to invest any more dollars with Palm.

We are an odd group of folks that are always looking for the newest, best thing. The 700P and W were such disappointments that many are now looking elsewhere. The Q is not only a cutting edge design, but very affordable. Why not spend a couple of hundred bucks to tide you over until the newest, best thing comes out?
    This is how I feel. I'm not sold on the Q yet, but it seems a refreshing change from the "same old thing" upgrade from the 650 to the 700. I'm staying with Sprint for now and still waiting for the EVDO rollout in my area, so I have a while to decide. Maybe Palm has a newer/better Palm Treo model. But based upon how long it took Palm to release the 700p, I'm not holding my breath.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I would agree with everything that was said with two small exceptions. I didn't find the Treo to faster loading websites myself. They were close, although using dslreports, the Q was always faster with no exceptions. This could just be a quirk of the browser or something else. I will say that I tended to not leave lots of apps open in the background on the Q, that could certainly slow it down. The other was phone quality. The 700p seemed very good, but the Q was noticably better in my testing so far. These differences are minor but seemed to be there for me. This could be just individual differences.

The one thing not mentioned in the above report is build quality. The Q just seems more solid and better built. My 700p was speaky keys (particularly the red power key) on the right and the battery covers makes creaking noises sometimes. It's not terrible but it seems less solid than my 650. I tend to believe it's not individual fault since I tried a 700w back in February and it was the same way. By comparison the Q (at least the one I am trying) is a brick (although a light one).

I agree with the conclusion however. If you are moving up from a regular phone, the Q is hard to beat. If you are used to PDAs, the Q will be limiting. But depending on your needs it might be good enough. That's the decision I'm still struggling with. Either way, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it depends on what you want.
    bcaslis, did you do a clean install per Perry Holden's instructions? the 700P that I have is faster than either of the two Q's that I played with during the last week.

Regarding the build quality - funny that we have such differences on this topic. The first Q that I had had all sorts of issues - the back cover creaked when I held the device and the keys were soft and just didn't feel right. The first Q shut off on me 3 different times without notice. There was no way to visibly tell this by looking at the phone until you checked it. Also, it was difficult to tell when I had missed a call on the Q.

The replacement Q I received was much better on the quality side. No creaks, for about 3 days. Then it also started creaking at the battery cover.

For both of the Qs that I had, I would not rate them higher than the 700P on build quality. YMMV. Don't think you could make a bad decision with either one of these machines, depending on what you need.
    I didn't see Perry's instructions, but I did an original clean install, then got slowdowns, then did another clean install and it seemed to be better. I would definitely say the Treo 700p is faster than Q in general. It just seems to me that the Q is getting slightly better download speeds. It definitely gets a better score on dslreports when done side by side. This could just be a blazer issue, it's hard to tell.

My Q build has been fine so far. I've only had this one. Does your 700p have a creaky red phone button. My does and it drives me nuts. I haven't tried to exchange it since a 700w I tried months ago did the exact same thing. Based on that I'm assuming is a problem in the body design.

Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    bcaslis, did you do a clean install per Perry Holden's instructions? the 700P that I have is faster than either of the two Q's that I played with during the last week.

Regarding the build quality - funny that we have such differences on this topic. The first Q that I had had all sorts of issues - the back cover creaked when I held the device and the keys were soft and just didn't feel right. The first Q shut off on me 3 different times without notice. There was no way to visibly tell this by looking at the phone until you checked it. Also, it was difficult to tell when I had missed a call on the Q.

The replacement Q I received was much better on the quality side. No creaks, for about 3 days. Then it also started creaking at the battery cover.

For both of the Qs that I had, I would not rate them higher than the 700P on build quality. YMMV. Don't think you could make a bad decision with either one of these machines, depending on what you need.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Seems to me what would drive me nuts is the Picsel viewer included in the Q. Anyone ever try this? I tried a hacked version from a clie on a T3.
    There's no wordwrapping. Horizontal scrolling for any length of document in a readable-sized font would be quite frustrating.
    (A nice feature of D2G's pdf viewer is a mode that presents just text with no horizontal scrolling. Yeah, it strips the graphics but at least one can read the entire file)
    If I used it I could see the problem. However, I have no need for word or PDF documents on the Q or Treo. I can't see using or editing them on such a small device, it seem like an exercise in pointless pain. I see a lot of people commenting about this, but for me that's what a laptop is for.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRunner
    Seems to me what would drive me nuts is the Picsel viewer included in the Q. Anyone ever try this? I tried a hacked version from a clie on a T3.
    There's no wordwrapping. Horizontal scrolling for any length of document in a readable-sized font would be quite frustrating.
    (A nice feature of D2G's pdf viewer is a mode that presents just text with no horizontal scrolling. Yeah, it strips the graphics but at least one can read the entire file)
    I just bought a Q to try out. Any good browsers I can use? I am so confused with what software it can and can't use. Thanks.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I think the only real choices that I know of are IE or Opera Mobile. I didn't like Opera Mobile on the 700w so I haven't tried it yet. I set IE to full screen to get enough viewing room. It works OK, because then you press a softkey to get the menus, then after selecting something it goes back to fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I just bought a Q to try out. Any good browsers I can use? I am so confused with what software it can and can't use. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I too have been trying a Q and I will be returning it tonight. I agree with the less than desireable build quality of the Q. The battery cover squeaked and the keys around the d-pad felt weird (kinda like if a grain of sand was lodged behind them. The keyboard, though responsive, sometimes didn't register a key press eventhough I definitely felt the "click". Other than that, my Q was outstanding. Unfortunately EVDO has not been deployed in my area. Per dslreports, I was getting about 75 kbps whereas with Cingular's EDGE on my 8125 I am consistently getting about 180 kbps. That was the deal breaker for me. I'll wait to check out the Q again when Cingular releases it.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  9.    #49  
    I tried dslreports on my Treo today and got a high of 273kbps. However, I was getting results all across the board. It game me the impression that the problem was with dslreports servers and not the Treo. The reason I say this is that I did an OTA update for Agendus, which was 1 MB in size, and it flew. Far faster than the fastest dsl reports time I had received. The Agendus download never hesitated, just kept downloading very quickly. With dslreports I noticed a number of momentary pauses, and most annoyingly, it would pause with about 3-4K left to download. So I am not sure how accurate the results are. They seem to be understated.
    I think the issue isn't necessarily the speed of the 700p but something in Blazer. In general I think Blazer loads and caches faster, but something causes it to report slower speeds. I've done DUN via bluetooth and gotten speeds sometimes faster than I can get out of Blazer a few minutes later.

FYI, I tried dslreports on my laptop via bluetooth DUN and didn't see the pauses that you see in Blazer (I've seen those pauses in Blazer also).
    I did dsl reports on both the q and 700p

q-got as low as 30kbit/sec and high as 282kbit/sec
    700p- 300kbit/sec 450/kbit/sec
    Jimmie Geddes
    I was over at Best Buy the other day and saw a Q on display. I picked it up thinking it was just a shell display model, but the screen powered on which pleasantly surprised me. The screen was gorgeous in terms of color quality. Superior to my 700p in that regard. I forgot to hold my 700p up to it, but I've posted before that I've superimposed some photos I found online and am pretty sure that the Q's screen width is physically identical (or almost identical) to the Treo 650/700p's, so there's no advantage to the Q in terms of physical screen size, and a real advantage to the 650/700p in terms of screen size (height) and resolution. Nevertheless, the Q's sub-pixel rendering made fonts look superior to my 700p's (equipped with FontSmoother).

It was hard for me to get a good feel for the, um, feel thanks to Best Buy's bulky security mechanism strapped onto the display-model Q. So I couldn't truly appreciate how it might feel in the hand or feel for two-handed thumbtyping. But I tried to put it through it's paces and type out some text anyways. I can't really make a final call on the comfort of thumbtyping as compared to my 700p (BTW, I've been a critic of all of the Treo's thumbboards as I've felt that they're too small/cramped and have gotten worse with every iteration). One thing that I hated about the Q was the lack of a backspace key within the thumbboard. It was bad enough that you had to reach out of the way towards the D-Pad when you needed to backspace (which, on these tiny thumbboards you need to do quite often), but the fact that this key served double-duty as a backspace and "last used app" key proved especially problematic. Example: I launch the contacts app and choose "New Contact." I start typing, make a mistake and backspace. If you backspace to the beginning of the line, it switches apps on you. Argh! How are you Q owners adapting to this behavior? This drove me crazy.

I also launched the camera/photo/video app and found a video clip stored on board. I don't know where this came from, but I played it and found that it displayed the video as a tiny postage-stamp-sized video with huge black borders surrounding it (and lots of wasted video app GUI stuff surrounding that). The poor use of space and lack of video-stretching to fill the screen made it look silly. I suspect that TCPMP provides a much nicer experience, but the built-in apps really should do a better job than that.

Didn't get a chance to play much more with it because then the Best Buy sales drone came by and started talking it up. Since I knew much more about it than he did, there was only so much of that I could take.

If Sprint gets it soon, I may get one as a test bed for some VS.NET development. I have some ideas for how I could improve the user experience.

On a side-note, BB also had the Nintendo DS Lite on display with its gorgeously bright screen and I was there to get my old '93 Nissan Altima's blown speakers upgraded (about $280 including labor for some new Infiniti front/rear speakers - bass sounds nice and punchy now - too bad the 700p's headphone jack still seems a bit flakey), so it was a fun day out for this geek.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Actually the Q's display is about 10% to 15% wider than the Treo, but of course not as tall. So a video formatted 320x240 like for an iPod will be a little bigger on the Q than the Treo (although the same number of pixels).
    I'd sure love to know how many of these puppes have hit the street so far... found this on a financial site:

Bear Stearns: Strong Start To Motorola Q Sales (MOT, PALM)

by SA Editors on Jun 6th with stocks: MOT, PALM

In a note to clients, Bear Stearns analysts Andrew J. Neff, Bill Hand and Ted Chung indicated that initial sales of the sleek new Motorola Q smartphone are strong:

While it is still too early to call, based on our channel checks, it appears that MOT Q is enjoying strong initial sales with retail stores reporting good availability and robust demand. In addition, Good Technology, which provides wireless email solution for enterprises, noted that the initial activations of its service on MOT Q far exceeds that associated with any new devices at the time of launch (e.g., Treos, HTC 8125, etc.). Stock impact: negative for PALM.

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/11670

Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I'm returning my Q. I asked the rep yesterday at Verizon how they're selling and he said that they haven't had a phone this popular since the RAZR. He said they are selling VERY, VERY well, and at times the store runs out of them. I asked how the 700p was doing he said it was doing ok, not great, more people are interested in the Q because of it's size and price. (The 700p isn't much bigger than the Q) He said people are coming in and switching from different carriers to get the Q.

I wrote up a short review on the Q vs the 700p.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/06/tr...otorola-q.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    bcaslis, did you actually measure them both (with screens turned on)?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Yes, I physically have both units at the moment and held them together side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    bcaslis, did you actually measure them both (with screens turned on)?
    Bcaslis are you going to have to decide between the 2? I just can't see giving up the Treo 700p to go to the Q (my personal opinion).
    Jimmie Geddes
    I'm returning my Q. I asked the rep yesterday at Verizon how they're selling and he said that they haven't had a phone this popular since the RAZR. He said they are selling VERY, VERY well, and at times the store runs out of them. I asked how the 700p was doing he said it was doing ok, not great, more people are interested in the Q because of it's size and price. (The 700p isn't much bigger than the Q) He said people are coming in and switching from different carriers to get the Q.

I wrote up a short review on the Q vs the 700p.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/06/tr...otorola-q.html
    It's very interesting that he's seeing carrier switches just for a "Q." We don't have Verizon out here, but my buddies in Austin say it is selling like hotcakes. If Verizon ever got its plans even remotely in line with Sprint, they'd kill them with devices like this. I guess Verizon hasn't quite crossed over the line of "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" yet, but they're trying.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Yes, I'm going to have to decide between the two this week. I don't want to give up the Treo, but I'm really in love with the Q hardware. I have to say that for a phone, bluetooth, and internet access it has been working quite well. The contact are acceptable and with third-pary software the calendar can be acceptable also.

Bcaslis are you going to have to decide between the 2? I just can't see giving up the Treo 700p to go to the Q (my personal opinion).
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast