Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 217
  1. #21  
    Well I have ordered one to check it out. I had a samsung i600 before my i730 and 700w and am pretty familiar with the SP OS although it appears they added some functions in 5.0 that did not exist in SP2003.
  2. #22  
    Mossberg Compares the Q and Treo 700p
    Posted By: Kris Keilhack on Friday, June 09, 2006 12:57:34 PM
    Walt Mossberg, the Wall Street Journal's personal technology reviewer, is widely regarded as a huge fan of Palm's Treo line. Walt recently put two smartphone heavyweights to the test: Motorola's new Windows Mobile Q, available exclusively on Verizon and Palm's Treo 700p, available on both Sprint and Verizon. Despite the Q coming in with sleek Razr-like styling cues and an astounding low price ($200 w/ 2-year contract), He still gives the nod to the $400 Treo 700p. The full article goes over the two smartphones and illustrates just how dissimilar these two competitors actually are.

    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20060607.html


    http://www.icehl.us/
  3.    #23  
    Interesting article. However, it doesn't address many of the questions that I asked in this thread. I have read a number of reviews, but none have answered these basic 6 questions. I am leaning towards returning the Q, but am still wavering on the fence.
  4. #24  
    Walt is a man, not a God. His "reviews" are nothing special and i'm not sure why he gets so much attention. In truth, there are more in-depth and useful reviews found here on this board.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Walt is a man, not a God. His "reviews" are nothing special and i'm not sure why he gets so much attention. In truth, there are more in-depth and useful reviews found here on this board.
    This is all you need to know. "Unfortunately, its Microsoft software is much clumsier than the Treo's Palm software, degrading its utility. Also, the Q's screen is lower-resolution than the Treo's and slightly smaller, and its battery life as a phone is weaker than the Treo's. While the Q keyboard is larger than the Treo's, we actually found it worse for typing."

    He has nothing positive to say about it unless you are a "light email user"

    What bunk, he even reviews and compares two WM devices in an article and can't resist an opportunity to call them both inferior to a treo 650.

    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20060412.html

    "But the T-Mobile MDA is slow; and the Sprint PPC-6700, while quite fast, is hampered by a bulky design and oddly placed navigational buttons. Both suffer from the extra steps, and frequent stylus use, dictated by their Windows software. On balance, neither of these devices offers the form and functionality of the Treo 650."

    A 6700 LESS functional than a 650?? Wow, he must be smoking some serious tree. Easier to use is not "more functional".

    He is just FOS. No wonder all the palm fanboys love this guy.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I find it pretty interesting that the $200 device stacks up so well against the $400 device. You'd think there would be no comparison.

    Exactly! That is what everyone is struggling with, how is a device half the price even mentioned in the same breath of a 700p. Why, because at that price it's a hellva device, now if was the same price as the 700P it would be a different story, but it's not. With all this comparsion you have to include the price.
  7. #27  
    What a weird thread. Moto Q or 700w might be a better thread, they are both Windows devices.

    The Q looks great, and I'd move to it in an instant if it had an OS that wasn't Windows. I'm not a Windows-hater (I have it for my home computer and am perfectly happy with it). However, MSFT didn't see fit to redesign the interface for mobile devices, leaving you with the "start" button and a whole host of other things that just don't work when you don't have a mouse at the ready.

    I have a 700p, my friend has the Moto Q. He regrets his decision. The hardware is great, but trying to use the device as a mobile device...
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    What a weird thread. Moto Q or 700w might be a better thread, they are both Windows devices...
    The reason it's the 700P against the Q is there are many Treo customers that were disappointed in the minor upgrades the 700P have to offer. They've already looked at the 700W and don't like it and/or do not want to invest any more dollars with Palm.

    We are an odd group of folks that are always looking for the newest, best thing. The 700P and W were such disappointments that many are now looking elsewhere. The Q is not only a cutting edge design, but very affordable. Why not spend a couple of hundred bucks to tide you over until the newest, best thing comes out?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Exactly! That is what everyone is struggling with, how is a device half the price even mentioned in the same breath of a 700p. Why, because at that price it's a hellva device, now if was the same price as the 700P it would be a different story, but it's not. With all this comparsion you have to include the price.
    I agree with this to an extent, but there is a minor distinction that can be made on price.

    Price is going to be what the market will pay. If the Q goes for $200, then that is what they think consumers will pay for it. If the treo is $400, then that is what they believe consumers will pay for it. Trying to compare the 'value' of the device in comparison of the other by including the price is fine, but keep in mind that there are probably other factors that allow palm to sell the treo for $400 (name recognition, ease of use, form factor, program availability, etc.).

    By selling the Q for $200, an argument could be made that the manufacturers do not think the device is worth a treo. (i.e. if the Q is really a solid competitor against the treo, why wouldn't they sell it for $400?)

    (BTW-Im not saying the Q isnt a competitor against a treo.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    What a weird thread. Moto Q or 700w might be a better thread, they are both Windows devices.

    The Q looks great, and I'd move to it in an instant if it had an OS that wasn't Windows. I'm not a Windows-hater (I have it for my home computer and am perfectly happy with it). However, MSFT didn't see fit to redesign the interface for mobile devices, leaving you with the "start" button and a whole host of other things that just don't work when you don't have a mouse at the ready.

    I have a 700p, my friend has the Moto Q. He regrets his decision. The hardware is great, but trying to use the device as a mobile device...
    curious to know what the difficulty is in using it as a mobile device.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree with this to an extent, but there is a minor distinction that can be made on price.

    Price is going to be what the market will pay. If the Q goes for $200, then that is what they think consumers will pay for it. If the treo is $400, then that is what they believe consumers will pay for it. Trying to compare the 'value' of the device in comparison of the other by including the price is fine, but keep in mind that there are probably other factors that allow palm to sell the treo for $400 (name recognition, ease of use, form factor, program availability, etc.).

    By selling the Q for $200, an argument could be made that the manufacturers do not think the device is worth a treo. (i.e. if the Q is really a solid competitor against the treo, why wouldn't they sell it for $400?)

    (BTW-Im not saying the Q isnt a competitor against a treo.)
    I disagree. The price they charge is related where they think they can make the most profit.

    Say Palm can sell 1 000 000 Treo's per quarter for $400 (=400 000 000), and can sell only 1 200 000 for $300 (=360 000 000) or only 1 500 000 at $200 (= $3 000 000) then its obviously more sensible to sell at the higher price, and it indicates they are being limited by their market and the general appeal of their product (non-consumer friendly, bulky and antenna'ed)

    Moto on the other hand may have found (from their market research) that they could sell 1000 000 Q's for $400 (=400 000 000), but at $200 they could sell 3 000 000 (=600 000 000). Ignoring the actual cost of the hardware and distribution, they obviously make more money selling at the lower price, because the market is larger and more consumer orientated, and their product has wider appeal because it is stylish and desirable.

    Of course companies price their product to maximize profit, but that does not necessarily follow that the lower price product is less functional or of lower quality. It all depends on the shape of the demand curve.

    e.g.



    The blue would be Treo, and the black line (with the flatter demand curve) the Q.

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/11/2006 at 02:09 PM.
  12. #32  
    I have agree 100% with this. I've been a long time user and fan of the Treo. But it's been like three years since the revolutionary 600. We are getting warmed over version with minor updates. I have no problem sticking with what works, but you need to make meaningful improvements. Take a look at the Motorola designs from three years ago. Quite a difference.

    Palm made a huge blunder letting PalmSource go. I have no faith that we will get needed OS upgrades. Palm themselves have opened the door to losing the faithful by embracing Windows. If they are going to use the same clunky OS, then the hardware is the only reason to stick with them. And from the Q it's clear they don't have a lead in hardware.

    The Q is a better phone (aside from the better favorites implemention in the Treo). To consumers moving up to a smartphone, there is no way on earth any of those people will buy a Treo over a Q. We will have to see how this plays out, but it the Q sells in a huge numbers, you will see the software and accessories developers follow them in droves. And that would be bad news for the Treo. Forget the "business users", consumers alone could make the Q a success. And if the business user is more a heavy phone user than PDA user, the Q is still probably a better device for them.

    Personally, I may still go with the Treo (I'm still waffling). But I see the Q as being more of a threat to Palm's future than devices we have seen before.

    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    The reason it's the 700P against the Q is there are many Treo customers that were disappointed in the minor upgrades the 700P have to offer. They've already looked at the 700W and don't like it and/or do not want to invest any more dollars with Palm.

    We are an odd group of folks that are always looking for the newest, best thing. The 700P and W were such disappointments that many are now looking elsewhere. The Q is not only a cutting edge design, but very affordable. Why not spend a couple of hundred bucks to tide you over until the newest, best thing comes out?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  13.    #33  
    I made my decision, and am going with the Treo. I will be posting the reasons in the next day, if anyone is interested. I gave the Q a run for a week. Returned it today and went back to the Treo.
  14. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by justleft
    I made my decision, and am going with the Treo. I will be posting the reasons in the next day, if anyone is interested. I gave the Q a run for a week. Returned it today and went back to the Treo.
    /raises hand

    Yes, I'm interested.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I agree with this to an extent, but there is a minor distinction that can be made on price.

    Price is going to be what the market will pay. If the Q goes for $200, then that is what they think consumers will pay for it. If the treo is $400, then that is what they believe consumers will pay for it. Trying to compare the 'value' of the device in comparison of the other by including the price is fine, but keep in mind that there are probably other factors that allow palm to sell the treo for $400 (name recognition, ease of use, form factor, program availability, etc.).

    By selling the Q for $200, an argument could be made that the manufacturers do not think the device is worth a treo. (i.e. if the Q is really a solid competitor against the treo, why wouldn't they sell it for $400?)

    (BTW-Im not saying the Q isnt a competitor against a treo.)


    I really don't think the Q was intended to compete with full functioning Pocket PC's or Treo's. I think it was more geared for your average cell phone user who would like a little more capabilities then there cell phone but not giving away the form factor while doing it. I could see that whole RAZR crowd migrating over to a Q real easy. It's going to be one of those fashionable things. I bet Paris Hilton already has one.
  16. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I bet Paris Hilton already has one.
    Probably, but she'll see it as too complicated and will switch to a pink Sidekick III. With rhinestones.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I bet Paris Hilton already has one.
    I think she's done just about everything once.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  18.    #38  
    After deciding on switching to the Treo 700P from the Moto Q, I thought I would post my thoughts on how each of them stacked up to each other. In a nutshell, a person who never owned a PDA and wanted to get something to track their appointments and contacts, the Moto Q is hard to beat. However, for someone used to PDAs and that own a number of Apps that they like, I believe they are best served by sticking with a PDA. Below I have answered how I thought these two devices stacked up to the points I initially raised"

    1. Bluetooth - The Moto Q has a strong lead in this area. I purchased a Jabra BT500 and used it with both phones. The Moto Q won hands down. No static and always a clear connection. The Treo 700P is giving me static through the headset. Not sure why, but it is nowhere near as clear as the Q. While the 700P does not possess Voicesignal (without purchasing addl software), I found this a non issue since I had been having all sorts of issues with the Moto Q recognizing the names. For some unknown reason it would not recognize many of my entries, often asking me if I wanted to call 'Noodles' - never could figure out what that was about.

    2. Web browsing - The 700P wins here. I was amazed at how much faster it loaded up web pages. Not sure if this was a fluke, but it was definately faster. Perhaps the multi tasking of the Q was getting in the way. See the same amount of information looking left to right on the Q and 700P. The 700P shows more vertical lines.

    3. Screen quality - This is almost a dead heat, although I will give the edge to the Treo 700P because of the higher resolution.

    4. Keyboard lighting - Treo 700P is the winner here. I can't read the Q's keyboard in the dark - eyes are just too old I guess.

    5. Radio - Both radios seem to be excellent. Have had no issues with either of the devices.

    6. Call Quality - Outside of the bluetooth headset, I would rate the Treo 700 and the Q as a tie in call quality. I called the wife from both phones. She is the greatest critic of phone call quality and had been complaining in the past of the Treo650. She thought both the Q and the Treo 700P were excellent.

    Some other considerations that lead me to select the Treo 700P:

    - Got tired of using the scroll wheel. My thumb actually got sore. Doesn't move as easily as the Blackberries I have owned. I also would often over shoot where I was trying to go with the scroll wheel. Kind of turned frustrating.
    - Got tired of digging through all the layers of menus on the Q. Simple things were much tougher to do. For instance, I was texting with a co-working. On the Q it would alert me to an incoming text message. I would need to select from the Today screen the messages to bring up the messages, then select the message to read. On the Treo 700P it brought the text message right to the screen. It also showed me the history of exchanges with me and my coworker. Much more useful.
    - The Q seemed to slow up as I did more and more. Would need to go in and kill tasks periodically.
    - Software vendors were requiring new licenses for the Moto Q, even though I already owner their software for the PPC.
    - I found the Q's keyboard a little too firm for my taste.
    - Not having a touchscreen on the Q was becoming a problem. Some times I would lose where I was on the screen because I couldn't see what box was highlighted. This might be a problem with my old eyes, but it was a problem for me.
    - I didn't believe the lack of copy and paste would be an issue on the Q. However, I was attempting to send an email to a friend with a URL and some text copied from a web page, and was unable to do so. I know their are third party apps that will do this from the Q, but it doesn't come native with it.

    You should surmise from this review that I am not against the Q. Rather, I think the Treo 700P works best for me. The true test is what do you want to do with the device. What type of user are you. Hope this is of some help.
  19. #39  
    Nice Job. This is a balanced review, tough to do.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  20. #40  
    I would agree with everything that was said with two small exceptions. I didn't find the Treo to faster loading websites myself. They were close, although using dslreports, the Q was always faster with no exceptions. This could just be a quirk of the browser or something else. I will say that I tended to not leave lots of apps open in the background on the Q, that could certainly slow it down. The other was phone quality. The 700p seemed very good, but the Q was noticably better in my testing so far. These differences are minor but seemed to be there for me. This could be just individual differences.

    The one thing not mentioned in the above report is build quality. The Q just seems more solid and better built. My 700p was speaky keys (particularly the red power key) on the right and the battery covers makes creaking noises sometimes. It's not terrible but it seems less solid than my 650. I tend to believe it's not individual fault since I tried a 700w back in February and it was the same way. By comparison the Q (at least the one I am trying) is a brick (although a light one).

    I agree with the conclusion however. If you are moving up from a regular phone, the Q is hard to beat. If you are used to PDAs, the Q will be limiting. But depending on your needs it might be good enough. That's the decision I'm still struggling with. Either way, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it depends on what you want.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions