Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    post the era of the brick-sized cell phones, did any of you complain about the first clamshell phone introduced? it's hard to say that it is worth "less" because of its lesser weight. think microchip. small is ok and even better when it works.

the amazing thing about the Q is that it does almost everything the Treo does while offering greater portability at a much lower cost. the original poster i believe suggested that he/she needed the basics. having said that, i'm not sure why the Q would not be the obvious choice.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    yes, you are right, oalvarrez. I started the querry....I know with my head the Q is the best for me : phone-text-web-email........the discussion from a technical view is over. But, why do I still like the Palm, even after all this.

.......nevermind......
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Maybe it's not necessarily liking Palm but disliking M$.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmardre View Post
    yes, you are right, oalvarrez. I started the querry....I know with my head the Q is the best for me : phone-text-web-email........the discussion from a technical view is over. But, why do I still like the Palm, even after all this.

.......nevermind......
    i think i know why you do: it's a better looking phone. but let me say this: i've had them all just like the rest of them (blackberries both old and new, treo t600-650-700w..i730...ppc6600) and i just don't miss having to reset my Treo, or the freezing up and the like. i don't blame you, there is a lot to like about the Treo, especially it's popularity. i'm on vacation right now (so cal beaches) and without surprise seeing many people talking on their Treos around the pool area, but that's all they're doing on them, talking away. they're mega popular, perhaps even trendy, perfectly fitting the likes of the O.C. (orange county) types.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    OK...I went to the VZW store at lunch. The Q does look better...cooler. But in a simple way. The 700P looks like it has a switch or button for everything.
    Both had good sound quality. The q a little better. But, for me, the bottom like was that the p was just easier to operate. More intuitive. I could not get the hang of the wheel and it was wierd to wheel, wheel, then reach over and punch a button. On the Q, I could not tell what the icons at the top were. Even with my glasses on. The P was bigger, but fit in my hand. Just to send a text message seemed easier for the P. Even my v710 is easier, it is just too small ( screen ) and will not do EVDO. It was odd that the salesperson did not mention the $100 rebate in the paper.....if I were selling them, I'd have mentioned that first.

After all this. Still gonna be hard. I'm going back this weekend to play with them some more.
    g
    for clarity, the Verizon Q does run on the EVDO network.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Yea. Give me the guts and software of my Moto V710 with a larger screen and EVDO and I'd be real happy. That's all I want.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I just made the switch from the 700w to the Q and I have to say that so far the switch has been very smooth and very nice. I don't have to reset at all, and as for ease of use, to me the Q is just as easy to use. I know this thread is direct mainly at the P but I wanted to at least post my reasons for leaving the Treo line. I have been using the Treo since the 180 and I have had other phones in between and always came back to the Treo cause of what it could do, lately though the small things have really driven me crazy. Call quality and bluetooth quality were among the things that really pushed me over the edge. The Q does a good job of call quality and the bluetooth works great, I can actually leave the Q in one room and go to another and still talk on the phone. The other issue and this was mainly a W issue, but I couldn't browse the web and listen to audio at the same time, if I was trying to browse XM radio and listen to another station, no matter how careful I was with memory and how many times I ran apps like Oxios I never had enough memory. I was in the postion that I could try a Q out and I was able to listen to XM radio and switch back over to the web browser and it was still open on the same page. This was huge for me. It was the same when I used Orb, I couldn't select on program to watch and go select another after it ended without restarting the browser and surfing to the page again. I didn't think the Q was going to hand multitasking like it did, but it does a great job for me. I usually run around 25 megs free, which isn't a great deal, but compared to 5 on my W, thats a big change.

Like I said I know this thread was directed at the P, but I just wanted to offer the info I had. I thought about going to the P, but I do like the size and weight of the Q. I had push with my 650 via Chatter and IMAP, so Push wasn't my issue for the switch, I just liked the size and such. Even when I had my W I missed the ease of use of the Palm platform, but it didn't handle multitasking and such, but with the issues I had with my W where I couldn't even use multitasking my choice when I got a new phone it was the Q or the P, and so far I am happy with my choice of the Q.

I miss certain palm apps like Palm Reader and Palm Fiction and of course Chatter but so far I only really have installed and needed 3 apps to make my Q do what I want, Mobi Reader, Resco Explorer and a little app called Right Menu, which just turns the right button that says Contacts to a quick launch. Maybe some day I might venture back to the Palm camp, either a better WM device or a new Palm OS thats easy and powerful, but for now, the Q is great!!!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Very good post, for me at least. I have about decided to go with the Q also. If I don't stop looking and reading every comparison on the internet, I will go broke for lack of doing business. Phones are so cool, though.....

It seems there a alot of Treo users who all surfaced at the same time to bash the Q. But, it also seems that the Treo has not really changed all tha much over the years. and that the Q will be the perfect device for someone like me. I probably need to wait for EVDO in my city anyway.

Any further comments on the two are appreciated.

g
    I have had a 650 for about 5 months and, while I like it, I will certainly be looking at the Q and the WX early next year. I have friends who have the W (and came from 650's) and like it just fine - even the resolution is not a problem unless you are looking at a 650/700p at the same time! I love the form factor of the Q but I am really worried about not having a touchscreen. However, moving to Windows Mobile would not be a big deal to me.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Does anybody know if the Q uses a Qualcomm CDMA chipset or one from Freescale?

g
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    OK...ok...one more question.

It looks like the "SEND" key is a soft key on the Q. Is this weird? How hard is it to press and send a message or make acall. Seems like the button on the p would be easier to press....

anybody?

gm
    not hard at all. that really is diving at the nitty-gritty! the chrome trim on the Treo keeps luring you in....admit it!
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    ...Must be the chrome...haha...you got me there. Thanks for the water in the face to wake me up. I just need to go and do it.
    thanks again
    gm
    Does anyone know the approximate cost of this Q when Sprint gets it?

Thanks
    can i post yet
    hey all, im new here, and am glad I found this forum.. its really helped me see the pros and cons of both phones...

Unfortunately Im still torn on my decision between the two.

Ive had a chance to hold them both, and play with them.. personally I like the overall feel and functionality of the touch screen on the treo. I think the bulkiness of the phone makes it easier to grip onto..

but with bad bluetooth connections, no voice activated dialing, lack of support for the msn messenger/hotmail stuff. I think Im going to have to go with my second choice.. the Q.

but I have another question for everyon..

it seems to be a common belief that Verion is overly expensive..

after my research for the past few days.. I have found that the plan I would look for:

400+minutes talk, + a unlimited dataplan +blah, blah blah... Im looking at about 80bucks a month everywhere...

plus if I was to go with the treo.. they offer that at about 1-200 bucks lower than thier compition???

am I missing something??
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    yeah, the 80 bucks part. it's much cheaper elsewhere.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    VZW's data plans are more expensive than Sprint's - no doubt about it. If you could wait a few months, the Q will be at Sprint and then you will have full choice (assuming of course, that the service levels for both compaines are equal - cuz it don't matter what a plan costs if you can't get a signal!).
    hmmm... i don't know guys... I just had an online chat with a sprint rep and they confirmed that my voice plan + unlimited data access plan would indeed run about 80 bucks a month...

after getting on both sites and trying to compare prices.. this is what I came up with... and its pretty much apples to apples

Sprint 700p = $499.99 - $150.00 rebate = 350.00
    450min talk time = 39.99
    UL Data plan = 39.99
    total phone coverage 6.00

Verizon 700p = $499.99 - 100 online discount & 100.00 rebate - 300.00
    450min + data access = 79.00
    total phone coverage insurance 6.00

Im still not seeing it.... about the only difference that sprint seemed to offer that I liked.. was that thier nights start @ 7:00pm which Im guessing in the long run could save.. but I do believe with certain plans... you actually pay a little extra?...

Im not trying to convert anyone to Verizon.. I was actually hoping for decent savings by switching carriers.. but as of now.. i see no reason... I know in my earlier days of cell phones.. verizon was able to connect in many more places than other providers ive tried..

Im sure technologies these days are keeping coverages pretty competitive..

once again.. unless im missing something???
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast