Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ten years ago, Hawkins dropped the original Palm Pilot on the computer universe - proclaiming the first true PDA. Sure, it had a lot of limitations, but it did the basics right and performed as a solid device for those of us clamoring for a shirt pocket Daytimer.

Fast forward ten years, and converged devices are outstripping PDA's by the bucketful. Along comes the Moto Q - the Razrberry so to speak - thin, light, great phone reception - good email (even push) - and oh by the way replaces your PDA to boot. No touch screen; EV-DO but no WiFi; other limitations - but an excellent combination of reasonable features to fit the current need; at a break through price (with service, of course).

Sound all too familiar...?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Ten years ago, Hawkins dropped the original Palm Pilot on the computer universe - proclaiming the first true PDA. Sure, it had a lot of limitations, but it did the basics right and performed as a solid device for those of us clamoring for a shirt pocket Daytimer.

Fast forward ten years, and converged devices are outstripping PDA's by the bucketful. Along comes the Moto Q - the Razrberry so to speak - thin, light, great phone reception - good email (even push) - and oh by the way replaces your PDA to boot. No touch screen; EV-DO but no WiFi; other limitations - but an excellent combination of reasonable features to fit the current need; at a break through price (with service, of course).

Sound all too familiar...?
    Yes. I believe the Q will sell like hotcakes leaving Palm wondering why they didn't listen to their base. The Q is built for the masses, and as such will be very popular with the "I don't have time to screw with adding programs to a phone, just give me email, internet, and the basic functions" crowd. The 700P and 700W will take a hit in sales and hopefully Palm will get back to their base of geeks like us with an innovative product with all the bells and whistles that we'll gladly shell out $600 to $800 bucks for.

P.S. Razrberry, you should register that.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Yes. I believe the Q will sell like hotcakes leaving Palm wondering why they didn't listen to their base. The Q is built for the masses, and as such will be very popular with the "I don't have time to screw with adding programs to a phone, just give me email, internet, WIFI, and the basic functions" crowd. The 700P and 700W will take a hit in sales and hopefully Palm will get back to their base of geeks like us with an innovative product with all the bells and whistles that we'll gladly shell out $600 to $800 bucks for.

P.S. Razrberry, you should register that.
    I'm sure I'm WAY TOO LATE for that one. Engadget was calling it the RAZRBerry last year when it was rumored to be a Cingular exclusive (watch my tears).

The comparisons to the original Palm Pilot to me are startling. At $199 (even with Verizon's high price plans - I think lowest is $80 per month, but that does include unlimited data) this one is going to lead the pack. I really liked my smaller Cingular 2125, but the lack of a keyboard for sending/answering emails was killing me (just HATE T9). Despite lack of Word/Excel editors, this one would only be topped by my lust for the Samsung i320, which at least is GSM.

I love my 8125, but if this were available today on Cingular (particularly with HSDPA, even though it's not in our area yet) I'd probably jump ship just for the form factor.
    The Q can't do one of the most basic functions, copy/paste. It looks very cool, and I'm sure it will sell VERY well due to it's size and price.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    The Q can't do one of the most basic functions, copy/paste. It looks very cool, and I'm sure it will sell VERY well due to it's size and price.
    For the average Joe, cut and paste may not be a big issue.
  6.    #6  
    I don't know about the "Q" but iMenu adds Cut & Paste to smartphone version of WM - I used it on the Audiovox 5600 and Cingular 2125 as I recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I really liked my smaller Cingular 2125, but the lack of a keyboard for sending/answering emails was killing me (just HATE T9). Despite lack of Word/Excel editors, this one would only be topped by my lust for the Samsung i320, which at least is GSM.
    I am an original Mpx200 user, got that smartphone when it first came out and I clearly remember the love I had for the device and the simplicity of it (for the most part) Sure it was bug filled and slow, but I got pretty good at T9'ing. When I got the SMT5600 a year later it was a big advance but in both cases I was saying "why didn't they put a qwerty keyboard on this, it would be a killer device". And then you have the Q.

In the time since I got rid of my SMT5600 I used a Treo650 for about 15 months and a Treo 700w for about 10 days. I have had the Q for a grand total of 5 days but so far it's pretty sweet. I do miss a few innovations that the Treo has (the easy ringer on off button to name one) but the form factor of the Q is stunning.

For me, my biggest need is EMAIL and with Good on the Q the Q is really really good. I would not be nearly as impressed with the Q if I was simply using the included Outlook email - it stinks, it really really stinks as far as UI goes, there is almost no customization of views etc and it really is horrid (compared to Good). But if you are going from a standard old cell phone that had no email or very limited email the Q email will be a HUGE improvement - night and day really.

It is truly a phone first with some serious potential functionality. Browsing the web is very good for the most part (even with crappy pocket IE).
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    The Q can do Cut-N-Paste (I use it all the time in Good). The problem is that MS didn't add make the functionality a part of the menu system so 3rd party apps (like Good and others) need to be installed in order to use it.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    The Q looks like a very worthy device and I do like it but I do not think that it is the palm pilot of today as of yet. I am sure once it gains popularity, I will change my stance. I like the Q and I will get one when it is available for GSM. Until then, I will stay with my E61 and Wizard.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    The Q can do Cut-N-Paste (I use it all the time in Good). The problem is that MS didn't add make the functionality a part of the menu system so 3rd party apps (like Good and others) need to be installed in order to use it.
    Smartphone edition of WM5 (as opposed to Pocket PC edition) is "crippled" in some ways, but wasn't intended for heavy data use. No editing of Word/Excel documents to begin with; interface is menu driven (to permit quick selection from a standard dial pad - in fact, if in icon mode, you "pick" icons by tapping one of the regular 9 dial pad numbers in the arrangement they appear on screen). I don't think they envisioned heavy duty keyboards on smartphone devices. Leave it up to those pesky phone companies to "stretch" the OS.

For me, my biggest need is EMAIL and with Good on the Q the Q is really really good. I would not be nearly as impressed with the Q if I was simply using the included Outlook email - it stinks, it really really stinks as far as UI goes, there is almost no customization of views etc and it really is horrid (compared to Good). But if you are going from a standard old cell phone that had no email or very limited email the Q email will be a HUGE improvement - night and day really.
    I wish you'd be a little more explicit with your opinions about features and functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I wish you'd be a little more explicit with your opinions about features and functionality.

That must have been when my coffee was just kicking in this morning...really really kicking in
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    The Q looks like a very worthy device and I do like it but I do not think that it is the palm pilot of today as of yet. I am sure once it gains popularity, I will change my stance. I like the Q and I will get one when it is available for GSM. Until then, I will stay with my E61 and Wizard.
    So you like your E61? Cingular or Tmobile? How hard was it to setup with MMS/Internet/email etc?

And are you using the Exchange ActiveSync push software Nokia released not too long ago? How does that work, is it really push email?

I do like the Q - esp with Good, BUT the one thing I do notice is that it's not the speediest little device out there. I get some key lag and missed keys typing every once in a while and apps seem to lag a tiny bit on opening - it's just not as snappy as I would like it to be. The E61 seems really nice and before my 15 days with Verizion and the Q are up I want to look at all other options!
    So, what device are you using now? I've used a Treo650 as long (on T-Mobile). I'm trying a 700p and while I like, I'm not in love at the moment. I truly lust for the form factor of the Q. I tried a 700w a couple of months ago also and absolutely hated it.

I don't need editing of office documents, etc... so many of the negatives I've seen on the device don't worry me too much. I want a great phone, full contacts and calendar, email access (but not my primary email use), and web browsing when not at the computer. The one thing that's stopping me right now is that the 700p can be used as wireless modem and I'm getting mixed messages about whether the Q can be used for this. I don't need this all the time but when I need it I really need it! The Verizon data plan is awfully expensive if you can only use it for data access on a tiny screen.

In the time since I got rid of my SMT5600 I used a Treo650 for about 15 months and a Treo 700w for about 10 days. I have had the Q for a grand total of 5 days but so far it's pretty sweet. I do miss a few innovations that the Treo has (the easy ringer on off button to name one) but the form factor of the Q is stunning.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I went to a Verizon store this afternoon specifically to try the Q out and see if it was good enough to get me to pay the premium I'd have to pay for Verizon's data service (I've been planning to getting a 700p with Sprint).

My impressions at seeing it was mixed. As far as build quality goes, I felt that the Q leaves something to be desired when compared to the RAZR and SLVR, maybe it was the painted plastic casing as opposed to the metal casings on the RAZR and SLVR but somehow it did not feel quite as impresive as Motorola's other phones. Also I noticed right away that there are some mild issues with screen redraw times and some graphical tearing (especially when going to the home page, or moving a select bar up and down on a screen. Granted, these are not major usability issues, but they did give the impression that the device was not as quick as I would expecting it to be.

The upside is that it is very slim and the keyboard does seem more spacious than other smartphones (though the device is also wider than a Treo). The screen is also bright and saturated.

However, though it looks good, it was not good enough to win me over in the look and especially the feel department. I think that if I was already heavily invested in Verizon services and equipment and had no problem paying their data rates, then this would be worthwhile upgrade as it is a capable and good looking device for the price. As it is now Verizon's plans are simply too overpriced for a data enabled mobile device, and a few of the other people in the store that were interested in the Q were also hesitant for the same reason (that and the fact that it was very sold out). If Sprint was selling this phone you probably wouldn't be able to find one until late September due to the high demand I'm sure they would generate, but as it is now, I think I'll stick to getting the 700p.

BTW, this may make me sound like a Sprint fanboy, but in reality I'm not all that crazy about certain aspects of Sprint's service either. It's just that paying as much for a mobile device to have unlimited internet access as I do for my cable internet service at home just does not make much sense when the device, at it's very best, only offers a fraction of the experience you will get at home (at a fraction of the bandwidth, even with EVDO). To anyone who would argue that you're paying for the wireless infrastructure, I'd say that should be at least partially covered by what you're paying to have voice service in the first place since it's all running on the same infrastructure anyway.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Based on all the reviews I've read (with the exception of Gex's) I think that once the honeymoon is over the Q isn't going to live up to the hype.

Don't get me wrong...I think the Q is a great form factor and I commend Moto for such a great design...but as I've said before I think the Smartphone edition of the software, in combination with the slower processor and lack of a touchscreen, is going to keep this device from being the "wetdream" technology that everyone assumed it was going to be.
    That 's lame weakness to point out. There will be plenty of 3rd part apps to handle that.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Based on all the reviews I've read (with the exception of Gex's) I think that once the honeymoon is over the Q isn't going to live up to the hype.

Don't get me wrong...I think the Q is a great form factor and I commend Moto for such a great design...but as I've said before I think the Smartphone edition of the software, in combination with the slower processor and lack of a touchscreen, is going to keep this device from being the "wetdream" technology that everyone assumed it was going to be.
    It is my prediction, unless there is a major glitch . This is going to outsell Treo W and may be the other Treo's.

Thinner .
    Cheaper
    Familiar OS.
    Treo's hardware issues.
    Hype generated by motorola .

People at my workplace , who have never used a smartphone, are talking about Q. Specially the affordable price,... makes life easy.

It is palm 's problem that phone makers have used there form factor, to there advantage , but palm just does not want to move further with any new innovation.
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 06/06/2006 at 08:46 PM.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    That 's lame weakness to point out. There will be plenty of 3rd part apps to handle that.
    If the Q can handle basic functions at a cheap price, it will kill Palm's sales. If you have to add third party apps to get the basics, the masses won't buy it. The Razr sells huge numbers because it looks great, is thin and is simple. Third party apps are good for geeks like us, but for your average guy it could be a killer.

From what I've read, the Q is good as a stand-alone device, yet has the option of adding the items geeks need. I think it will be a huge seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    So, what device are you using now? I've used a Treo650 as long (on T-Mobile). I'm trying a 700p and while I like, I'm not in love at the moment. I truly lust for the form factor of the Q. I tried a 700w a couple of months ago also and absolutely hated it.

I don't need editing of office documents, etc... so many of the negatives I've seen on the device don't worry me too much. I want a great phone, full contacts and calendar, email access (but not my primary email use), and web browsing when not at the computer. The one thing that's stopping me right now is that the 700p can be used as wireless modem and I'm getting mixed messages about whether the Q can be used for this. I don't need this all the time but when I need it I really need it! The Verizon data plan is awfully expensive if you can only use it for data access on a tiny screen.
    Right now I'm using the Q. I have been using it since I got it on Thursday and my 650 is sitting at home gathering dust for the moment...or until I decide to keep the Q or not.

Phone on the Q is very good. Sounds great IMO, way better than the 650, especially outside. I have not had to turn it up even on the busy street. Dare I say this? It can be TOO loud (good thing).

The wireless modem issue is to be resolved with a firmware update that is supposed to be coming out soon that will also add the true push email for Exchange (non Good exchange, Good is true push right now). PDANet apparently will work right now, although that does violate your contract with Verizon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast