Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Based on all the reviews I've read (with the exception of Gex's) I think that once the honeymoon is over the Q isn't going to live up to the hype.

Don't get me wrong...I think the Q is a great form factor and I commend Moto for such a great design...but as I've said before I think the Smartphone edition of the software, in combination with the slower processor and lack of a touchscreen, is going to keep this device from being the "wetdream" technology that everyone assumed it was going to be.
    I think your right for the average techie who likes to do all kinds of amazing things with a phone. Clearly the 700w and 700p have an imense advantage over the Q in several areas.

BUT, Moto, MS and Verizon are trying something different. I clearly remember the MPX220 and the hype around that and the phone ended up having way too many issues and people returned it like crazy. I think this is why Cingular didn't push hard for the Q - they wanted to let Verizon get burned by Moto rather than have it happen to them again. So this time Verizon gets to be the beta testers and Cingular will pick up gen 2

That being said, the Q out of the box as a Gen 1 device for it's form factor and OS is quite impressive. Right off it far surpasses the MPx220 in capability and stability. It's not perfect by any means, but I do think that the price point means it will appeal to a much wider audience. The fact that it doesn't have as many bells and whistles compared to the Treo 700 series is actually a positive if you read the latest market research on why people buy phones.

If I decide to keep the Q and move over to Verizon, my $175 early termination fee to move back to Cingular (when (if) they get the Hollywood Treo in the fall/winter/spring or the faster Q in the winter ) is still cheaper than buying a 700p or 700w and moving to Verizon...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ..remember the MPx220 (and 200) were COMPLETELY contracted out to HTC...Motorola stuck their name on it. After that fiascal they said that they would move the design and development in-house.

The Q is the first result of a Motorola in-house designed Smartphone...that they actually released.

...they have worked on a number of WM Smartphones up to this point..most of which never saw the light of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    ..remember the MPx220 (and 200) were COMPLETELY contracted out to HTC...Motorola stuck their name on it. After that fiascal they said that they would move the design and development in-house.
    The MPx220 ODM was Chi Mei.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    ^ what he said

(thought the MPx100 was Chi Mei and the 220 was HTC?)

Either way all prior models were from an outside ODM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

Surur
    As was the MPx200
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    People at my workplace , who havenever uses a smartphone are talking abou t Q. Specially the affordable price makes life easy.
    Well...affordable is a relative term. How many of these folks are going to want to pony up the kind of $$$ that'll be required to use the Q on Verizon?

I think the biggest stumbling block the Q will initially have is simply the carrier. If they aren't geek enough to own a smartphone now...will they suddenly be geek enough to spend that kind of money for the priveldge of using a Q?

I think there's a real issue there...
    Well...affordable is a relative term. How many of these folks are going to want to pony up the kind of $$$ that'll be required to use the Q on Verizon?

I think the biggest stumbling block the Q will initially have is simply the carrier. If they aren't geek enough to own a smartphone now...will they suddenly be geek enough to spend that kind of money for the priveldge of using a Q?

Time will tell. Just like the time you spend praying to your God on this, your holiest of days, satan worshiper! 666
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ... to spend that kind of money for the priveldge of using a Q?

VZW's prices are what they are...doesn't matter if its a Treo or a Q or a 6700 or a i730 or a BlackBerry... they are the same across the board...it is not more expensive to have a data plan with the Q than any other device on VZW.

If a VZW customer is already comfortable with their data prices then that's that...sure Sprint is cheaper and if I had to pay for service out of my own pocket I would prob. be a sprint customer but since my company pays for it I want the best...even if it is only in my head/perceived that VZW is better

...I hear Sprint now has EVDO in my area but they didn't last time I/we were a customer....and we have already transitioned all our phone lines off of Sprint to VZW so it doesn't matter to us any longer since service is just as good if not better in our experience and our area.

Just like the Treo 700w I expect the Q to eventually come to Sprint...so at that time you can have it with their $15 data plan.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    VZW's prices are what they are...doesn't matter if its a Treo or a Q or a 6700 or a i730 or a BlackBerry... they are the same across the board...it is not more expensive to have a data plan with the Q than any other device on VZW.

If a VZW customer is already comfortable with their data prices then that's that...sure Sprint is cheaper and if I had to pay for service out of my own pocket I would prob. be a sprint customer but since my company pays for it I want the best...even if it is only in my head/perceived that VZW is better
    I would agree with your comments...however, I was referring to the fact that someone suggested that folks in his/her office who weren't smartphone users were "talking" about the Q. They can talk all they want...once they see they're gunna have to spend a LOT of money to get basic e-mail capabilities and web browsing without the ability to click on the hotlinks, the luster of the device may wear thin...

For those already on Verizon (god save them) I agree it won't be an issue. But for anyone else, it's a big pill to swallow.

All I'm saying is that if someone is now getting 1000 minutes and txt messages and nights and weekends for $60...they're going to have a hard time justifying spending the kind of money it's going to take to get the data AND minutes their used to.

Geeks like us will pay...but we're geeks. And geeks like me, in particularly, would never pay that kind of dough for what I believe is limited functionality compared to a full PPC or POS device (and the rest of don't have the same needs as I so I'm not saying your WRONG in choosing the Q...).
    i will say that i am with Gex on this and not because i am both a Treo700w owner as well as a new Moto-Q. i'm going to leave the $ debate between VZ and S alone as it simply is a choice that we all have and there are justified reasons for paying the higher costs.

as for people taling about it at the workplace, the two individuals that i showed it to today (one being a sprint treo 650 user and the other a non-pda user and a non VZ customer) were both highly impressed. the non-pda user said "that's the phone that i want, it's exactly what i want to pay and it offers so much more than my current phone." when he asked about the data plan he remarked "is that all?" the other (sprint t650 user) simply chuckled when placing it next to his t650 and continued to comment on its design. regardless, data costs are to gain access to just that, and it really doesn't matter in my eyes whether you own a Smartphone or PPC WM5 edition, they both are using the "data" in the same way. there is no limited functionality when it comes to the data aspect of the Moto-Q. It offers EVDO and 1xrtt, how different is that from a PPC device? processor speed is a different subject but i will take a slightly slower (if that) processor over the somewhat memory hindered functionality of the T700w. how about a t700p you ask? i prefer the windows experience over that of the palm and i'll leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    , data costs are to gain access to just that, and it really doesn't matter in my eyes whether you own a Smartphone or PPC WM5 edition, they both are using the "data" in the same way. there is no limited functionality when it comes to the data aspect of the Moto-Q.
    Actually, I was wondering if the Q would impress me to the point of biting the bullet and deciding to go with VZW as opposed to Sprint for my next phone. It did not. If you're expecting a device that looks and feels like the RAZR or the SLVR (as I was) then be warned that the Q, having a painted plastic shell vs. a metal shell does not feel quite as substantial as the other phones that were mentioned. This is obviously subjective and for most may be a non issue, but for me it took away from the device (though I can't say I was surprised given the price point).

I'd agree that the Q may have some appeal for mainstream users and/or the image conscious customer needing the latest and greatest. For the last group price is most likely not an issue, but for the mainstream casual user, though the phone itself may seem inexpensive and sleek, the high data costs may end up being a hurdle. It will be a significant increase for someone who is going from a traditional cell phone to the Q

If you're forced to choose Verizon due to a lack of alternatives in your area, or because you have corporate agreements with them then the Q is a great phone and a great deal, since you'd be paying the same amount for data regardless. However, if both options are present and equivalent, then I personally think that getting a Treo with Sprint is a much better deal, the Q is not worth the extra $400 -$500 (subtracting what you'd save over getting the Treo) you would have to pay to Verizon over the course of your contract.
    ^if you so care (perhaps you have done so) there is a good thread that Gex started on the Moto-Q topic (i believe it is titled "My-Q"). i listed your dislike ("less-substantial" feel in hand) in my posts within his thread, but you can't have weight if you want that kind of form-factor or it would defeat the purpose. lets say that i've grown tired enough with having to soft-reset the device and/or it "hanging-up" on me during crucial times. so time to explore other alternatives for me regardless the money saved or spent. anyhow, thanks for your reply.
    I'm not paying Verizon's data plan prices, plan and simple. One thing that holds me back with the Moto is that it does not have a pda on it, is that right?

The Treo has spoiled me being so inclusive but I really want a smartphone with a better camera and built in flash.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    What do you mean by a PDA? It doesn't have a touch screen but it does most PDA functions. It could be argued that some of it's functions are better than the Treo's and some are worse.

It has a camera about the same as a Treo 700p and it does have a flash (which I think is kind of useless).

Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I'm not paying Verizon's data plan prices, plan and simple. One thing that holds me back with the Moto is that it does not have a pda on it, is that right?

The Treo has spoiled me being so inclusive but I really want a smartphone with a better camera and built in flash.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Yes, I read that it did not have a touch screen. I mean a word processing program or ability. Presently, I use WordSmith.

I googled and read that the camera is better than the other pdaphones:

"The second thing that struck me about the MOTO Q was the clarity and crispness of it bright 320 x 240 display. Of all of the PDA’s and PDAPhones that I have owned, the MOTO Q has the best display that I have used. The color, brightness, and resolution matches that of my desktop display very closely. For example, I chose to add an outdoor scene (a sunset over the ocean) as the background for my Today screen, and I found that the scene very closely matched the same scene on my desktop monitor." found: http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73085
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    That has nothing to do with the camera. It is talking about the display. It has word processing, but only viewing. Natviely atleast. Of coure Palm doesn't even natively display word documents. Their is supposedely 3rd party support for editing docs.
    The Q, like all expected Treo killers, is wonderful ... until it is actually released. I think the Q is more appropriately entitled "an answer to Palm's (as yet unreleased) Lowrider". Having owned a Treo, I think most treo users will find it too limited as an everyday device.

OTOH, I think a lot of peeps who use a lowrider or Q will purchase a treo like device after the Q / LR
    The Q is a nice device. I bought one today to try out, I love my Sprint Treo700p. The Q is going back to Verizon. If you've never used a Treo the Q might be a good device, but once you've been spoiled by what the Treo can do compared to the Q you will come back. Nice design and idea by Motorola, it's the software that isn't great.
    Jimmie Geddes
    can the Q do GPS like the Treo (i.e. communicate with a bluetooth box like the TomTom?) If it doesn't have that I wouldn't consider it, I'm too used to not getting lost now ... though the AD2P support is very nice (the SAG software doesn't work with Rhapsody to Go files sadly)
    Quote Originally Posted by drnomolos
    can the Q do GPS like the Treo (i.e. communicate with a bluetooth box like the TomTom?) If it doesn't have that I wouldn't consider it, I'm too used to not getting lost now ... though the AD2P support is very nice (the SAG software doesn't work with Rhapsody to Go files sadly)

Yes it does. ALK has a special version of co-pilot just for that shape of screen. There are a few others also.

Whats SAG.

Surur
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast