Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I've been a 650 user for over a year and a BB 7290 user since Oct. 05.

I'm done with the Treo as a primary due to reliability issues, my BB JUST $(*&#$ WORKS.

No resets.
    No BT crap-shoot maybe I'll work today or not BS -- this is a real safety issue in the car when the Treo BT headset can't decide if it's going to work or not.
    No cut/paste buffer failures between apps.
    No app switching issues. Try switching to look up a contact while in the browser with the Treo -- then try to get back to the place you were before the app switch -- you can't -- it JUST WORKS on the BB.
    No lack of numlock in a web form -- I have to hold down the Treo numlock in a web field???

Everything I do on the BB *just works* without being a ROM of the month *****. I didn't spend top dollar for a POS platform to have to gamble with reliability. I paid top dollar for a stable tool.

And they want to port the BB software onto this buggy platform? Are the people in marketing smoking their own crack?

I've tried to be fair but the Treo is a tool that could have been great but was killed by sloppy production and management.

I have better things to do with my day than have to compensate for an appliance that should JUST WORK.
    Treos are like Jeff Gordon: either you love'em or you hate'em.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    At least you didn't compare them to Al Gore!
    My Treo 650 works great; it is solid as a rock. However, it took a year to get it this way. But it has mostly worked the whole time.

By the way, it is easy to get back to the web page you were on in Blazer; there is a setting for that.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Well, I had to replace my treo during warranty due to a bad speaker, my colleage had FOUR before the warranty ran out.

Setting for Blazer to return after swapping to another app? Where?

My Treo reset AGAIN today while loading a web page.

MMS has never worked regardless of the carrier (I've use Cingular and T-Mobile SIM cards).

Because of BES integration, my BB never needs to be hotsynced with a cable -- all my contacts, email, notes, calendar, tasks are synced over the air 24/7 - add a contact or calendar entry while in Outhouse..err...Outlook and it pops ver to the BB and vice versa.

Cut/Past still drives me crazy. "Copy phone #" from the Treo call log and try to paste it into a contact record. No workie. WTF?

The Email in the BB supports mutiple accounts effortlessly.

I want the Treo to be a BB alternative but I've been fair -- over a year and still basic stability issues. Why should they be rewarded in the marketplace?

I'm not a BB fanatic -- I like the 7290 as it's an unlocked quad-band + BT unit -- the new 8700's keyboards are "cheaper" -- I'm keeping my proven, reliable, less bulky BB and leave my 650 in my bag.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    In slight defense of the Treo MMS, that definitely does work. However, T-Mobile won't support the 650 so you have to get the settings exactly correct. Mine works well now.
    I still don't understand the halt/reset whilst web browsing bug. I have that as well. I even built a fit and trim rom image with several megs of extra space and I still get that.

In all though, the Treo is less buggy than the WM5 devices I have tinkered with so far, so that's a plus. The 650 is however, work in progress.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    In the Preferences in Blazer, check out the " Starts With" option. I believe you can open Blazer with the last page viewed.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    OK, if you're cool with being unable to play MP3 files, movies, no expandable memory and also losing the capability to take pics and vid clips. Personally, for all the things I need to do, the Treo does them just fine. The only true problem I had with the phone was a flaky microphone which VolumeCare fixed. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Guess we won't be seeing you on the forum any longer. Buh-bye.
    glad you found a device that suits your needs. thanks for starting a thread about it.

farewell.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    OK, if you're cool with being unable to play MP3 files, movies, no expandable memory and also losing the capability to take pics and vid clips. Personally, for all the things I need to do, the Treo does them just fine. The only true problem I had with the phone was a flaky microphone which VolumeCare fixed. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Guess we won't be seeing you on the forum any longer. Buh-bye.
    Not so fast. I'll be here until the Treo dies (again).

People come here to see how real people perceive the Treo, I'll be here offing my experiences despite them being heresy to those who feel it can do no wrong and have the patience to tweak something in their copious free time which in the reall business world whould JUST WORK.

There are some people who don't like to bang thier head on the wall just to answer a call wit ha BT headset and have it decide not to work -- again.

Palm needs to hear the dissenters and react -- especially when they charge top dollar. My opinion is that if you want relaibility, stay away from any Palm products until they make quality a priority.

How can you justifiy the amount of effort, time, and other resources dealing with this POS product line instead of pouring it into improved products? I mean how do you explain FOUR failed units which required warranty serivce -- please, don't pretend this is not an issue and sweep it under the rug.
    Quote Originally Posted by lohphat
    Not so fast. I'll be here until the Treo dies (again).

People come here to see how real people perceive the Treo, I'll be here offing my experiences despite them being heresy to those who feel it can do no wrong and have the patience to tweak something in their copious free time which in the reall business world whould JUST WORK.

There are some people who don't like to bang thier head on the wall just to answer a call wit ha BT headset and have it decide not to work -- again.

Palm needs to hear the dissenters and react -- especially when they charge top dollar. My opinion is that if you want relaibility, stay away from any Palm products until they make quality a priority.

How can you justifiy the amount of effort, time, and other resources dealing with this POS product line instead of pouring it into improved products? I mean how do you explain FOUR failed units which required warranty serivce -- please, don't pretend this is not an issue and sweep it under the rug.
    I have to agree. Ever since I switched to a BB 8700c I find I am no longer trouble shooting all the little issues I had with my Treo. I surf the forum for fun and to watch to see if a more stable device is delivered. Once a new GSM Treo is launched I will hang out and see what the general population thinks about it before I open the wallet again.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I have to agree. Ever since I switched to a BB 8700c I find I am no longer trouble shooting all the little issues I had with my Treo. I surf the forum for fun and to watch to see if a more stable device is delivered. Once a new GSM Treo is launched I will hang out and see what the general population thinks about it before I open the wallet again.
    How do you like the 8700? How about the lack of a touchscreen, is it hard to get used to? Can you browse any site?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    it's a trade off between features and ease of use. That shouldn't surprise anyone.
    Under cingular, I had to go through 3 technicians before one of them finally got it right to get my MMS feature working. But it works!

Yes, I too am on my 2nd treo as the first one would not work...#2 is a charm though and am happy with it.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Sorry, I was issued a 7290 and just cannot get past the fact the you dock it AND THEN still have to plug in the charger. It is not even engineered in a way that you can buy an upgraded charging dock.

I loaded BBC on my 650, and although it does have some limitations, it is working flawlessly for me.

It's good that the device works to your liking - some folks never know when to call it quits and move on to something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    How do you like the 8700? How about the lack of a touchscreen, is it hard to get used to? Can you browse any site?
    I thought the touchscreen would be a big deal but I really love this phone! the bluetooth is super fast and works flawlessly. The phone volume is perfect and quite loud. The integration of e-mail and your contacts and the way you can easily e-mail, text message or call someone is very nice. The browser also works very good and I can get to any site I could on my Treo. The big advantage for me since I travel internationally is the unlimited international data plan. When I went out of the country with my Treo I only used the phone to roam since data rates are typically high. No I get all of my data unlimited no matter where I go.
    Since I really love my Treo I will probably try out a GSM WM5 version when it is finally launched. I REALLY like WM5 but did not like the form factor of the 8125. ( I also had one of those for about a month )
    If Cingular would provide a similar unlimited international data plan for non-BB phones I would probably go back to a Treo for good. However, BB-Connect will probably be as close to that as I will ever get.

All in all the 8700 is a solid phone with a very bright and clear screen. Also, I have had the thing on almost constantly since I got it in April and not a single reset. It is rock solid. I would be suprised if any Treo owner can make the same claim. My Treo was pretty stable and I still had a soft reset once or twice a week.