Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Yeah, well, this traitor feels dirty and voilated when using his WM5 device...I guess it's my just rewards...
  2.    #122  
    Isn't that what they designed the cilice belt for?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Looks to me like somebody needs some serious help, not hugs...

Or a new keyboard with more then just a * key.
    IT set me up for direct push from Exchange for corp mail and it took maybe 1 minute to set it up. THey also told me that the 8125 will be getting the MS upgrade later this month to allow it also. Moto Q to follow shortly afterward.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    IT set me up for direct push from Exchange for corp mail and it took maybe 1 minute to set it up. THey also told me that the 8125 will be getting the MS upgrade later this month to allow it also. Moto Q to follow shortly afterward.
    I'm using ActiveSync with my hosted Exchanged solution...with WM5's multi-tasking abilities, it's all done in the background. The problem is, I simply don't trust MS software to actually do what it's supposed to do -- so I'm always skeptical that it's actually syncing.

Many times it DOES just quit running and I have to re-executive the ActiveSync software...but overall it's a pretty simple and elegant solution. I'm still curious to know, however, how "polling" the Exchange server is "Push" technology...
    Call it what you want but I recieve my email on the device often before it arrives on my laptop on the VPN. Sounds like someone just doesn't like MS. That is fine if it is the case but I have a hard time figuring out how someone involved in technology in any way can avoid at least a few touches with MS products. Who neess all that stress? Go back to Palm and get Macs and set up Chatter and just enjoy it for what it is worth.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Call it what you want but I recieve my email on the device often before it arrives on my laptop on the VPN. Sounds like someone just doesn't like MS. That is fine if it is the case but I have a hard time figuring out how someone involved in technology in any way can avoid at least a few touches with MS products. Who neess all that stress? Go back to Palm and get Macs and set up Chatter and just enjoy it for what it is worth.

I just feel like every version of MS software is beta software. They put a bunch of "features" into the software to say they have them - but they never seem to function properly. I'm a fan of the Mac...I think I prefer their model of "simple is better" because, for the most part, software written for the Mac tends to avoid the "feature frenzy" and simply provides a smaller list of features that tend be more robustly developed.

I'm not an MS-hater (okay, given all the *'s in previous posts I can understand why you may think so). I simply get frustrated and stressed out by their software because it always seems like they take the most complex approach to simple problems rather than making simple, elegant solutions.

PPC is no different. To me, the idea of a "Smartphone" is that it's a both a phone and a PDA. They've had several generations to improve phone functionality and yet it's just as convoluted as it's ever been. It isn't simple. It isn't elegant. It's cumbersome, lathargetic, and generally unweildly as a phone. If you're a geek and love to "mess around" the oeprating system is perfect for you...but if you simply want something that works and works simply -- that's no WM5.

Getting back to the thread title - those of us who actually want that simple, elegant solution I yearn for have to sacrifice our wants/needs when stepping to the WM5 platform. Obviously I took that plunge (reget it every day, too), because WM5 offers more technology and more options that I need than the PalmOS can provide right now.

That isn't an endorsement of WM5, rather an indictment of PalmOS. Unfortunately, this is how Microsoft has ALWAYS won the battle. Rather than developing a robust solution and putting it on the market, they promise everything...throw it all out there half-@ss...and then fix it and make it work over time - sometimes over several generations of the product. This has been true of nearly all MS products...
    Then get a Q and you have the Treo type of form factor, keyboard, and less functional OS. I am loving my PPC6700 experience more and more every day. But that is mhy experience and opinion only. Not trying to sway anyone. I switched one of my Mac's to the Intel processor and am waiting on Vista and will make it dual boot to have 2 in 1 in hopes MS has their WM5 sync for Vista a lot better then the XP one appears to be.
    I agree with Hagar that the phone experience in pocketpc phones could do with A LOT of attention. I just down know why they dont add simple things like re-dialing engaged calls, or allowing simple changes of profile etc. Its not like its rocket science.

I use my Universal mainly as a PDA and mobile internet terminal, but if I was a heavier phone user i would be a lot more frustrated with that aspect.

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I agree with Hagar that the phone experience in pocketpc phones could do with A LOT of attention. I just down know why they dont add simple things like re-dialing engaged calls, or allowing simple changes of profile etc. Its not like its rocket science.

I use my Universal mainly as a PDA and mobile internet terminal, but if I was a heavier phone user i would be a lot more frustrated with that aspect.

Surur
    As I've always said - as a phone it (the 6700) sucks. As a PDA it's awesome.

Unfortunately, I'm a heavy user of both functions - that's why I think the Treo is a "superior" platform because it has the "mix" right. But if you need all the bells and whistles and are willing to compromise phone functionality, the 6700 has the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    As I've always said - as a phone it (the 6700) sucks. As a PDA it's awesome.

Unfortunately, I'm a heavy user of both functions - that's why I think the Treo is a "superior" platform because it has the "mix" right. But if you need all the bells and whistles and are willing to compromise phone functionality, the 6700 has the edge.
    Elaborate? It took Jeff Gibson to make the Treo decent, as a phone. What makes it better to you?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Elaborate? It took Jeff Gibson to make the Treo decent, as a phone. What makes it better to you?
    As for my experience with WM5, simple one-handed use is what drove me back to the 650. Driving five to six hours a day, most of which are spent on the phone, made my appreciation for the 650 greater than ever.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    As for my experience with WM5, simple one-handed use is what drove me back to the 650. Driving five to six hours a day, most of which are spent on the phone, made my appreciation for the 650 greater than ever.
    I don't deny that. But to me the most important thing is the quality of the call. Can they hear me, and vice versa. Even if the phone could read your mind and dial the number for you, if you're constantly saying "What? I can't you" throughout the call, who cares about how easy it is to dial the number?

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I don't deny that. But to me the most important thing is the quality of the call. Can they hear me, and vice versa. Even if the phone could read your mind and dial the number for you, if you're constantly saying "What? I can't you" throughout the call, who cares about how easy it is to dial the number?
    I agree the Bluetooth sucks on the 650, but I've gotten in the habit of driving with the phone next to me and I get good coverage otherwise. I would love to give my money for my next phone to someone other than Palm.

I'll be starting a new position in a few weeks outside of Denver and my new company is with Verizon. I'm seriously considering the Q over the 700P just because Palm put out such a sub par product.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I'll be starting a new position in a few weeks outside of Denver and my new company is with Verizon. I'm seriously considering the Q over the 700P just because Palm put out such a sub par product.
    From the little bit you've discussed this with me, I'll put money on the fact that you'll hate the Q nearly as much as the 6700...

And Surur? Elaborate? I think I've elaborated about my displease about EVERYTHING the phone can/can't do.

While I agree that phone quality is important, I honestly hear no difference in quality between the 650 and the 6700...other than the fact that the speakerphone on the 650 is actually USABLE.
    From the little bit you've discussed this with me, I'll put money on the fact that you'll hate the Q nearly as much as the 6700...

And Surur? Elaborate? I think I've elaborated about my displease about EVERYTHING the phone can/can't do.

While I agree that phone quality is important, I honestly hear no difference in quality between the 650 and the 6700...other than the fact that the speakerphone on the 650 is actually USABLE.
    Have you tried the 700 yet?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Have you tried the 700 yet?
    Not for a prolonged experience. I've only used it in the Sprint store. Obviously no 3rd party aps were installed...so it's hard to tell exactly how she'd operate in the "real world" -- but it's still as slick as the previous US president when it comes to making/taking calls. Damn...I'm salivating again.
    -- but it's still as slick as the previous US president when it comes to making/taking calls. Damn...I'm salivating again.
    Monica...wondered what you've been up to since your 15 mins. of infamy ran out.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567