Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    **** this *** **** operating system. It's frustrating as **** to deal with this ****** ** **** and it make my blood boil to the point of ****** and ******. And wouldn't you know it, ******** is such a ******* ****** OS developer that I just want to ****** Bill Gates and **** ***** ****** **** ******.

Amen. Hail Mary...and **** Microsoft.
    Someone need a hug?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Someone need a hug?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    C'mon, give Papa a hug
  5.    #105  
    **** this *** **** operating system. It's frustrating as **** to deal with this ****** ** **** and it make my blood boil to the point of ****** and ******. And wouldn't you know it, ******** is such a ******* ****** OS developer that I just want to ****** Bill Gates and **** ***** ****** **** ******.

Amen. Hail Mary...and **** Microsoft.
    Looks to me like somebody needs some serious help, not hugs...

Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Looks to me like somebody needs some serious help, not hugs...

I've got him on a suicide watch.
  7.    #107  
    If Father Carris can't cast out his demons...
    Perhaps spooning is in order?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm returning a 6700 and reactivating my 650 today after using the 6700 for 10 days. I'm tired of accidently hanging up calls, making untintended calls after turning the keys off with the button on top of the phone, and having it decide to delete emails for me among other problems. It has some nice bells and whistles the 650 doesn't have, but it is greatly inferior as a phone, and the way Pocket Outlook makes items in your inbox disappear into thin air after a send/receive if you pull the message off the mail server with your laptop is a deal breaker for me. I'm having that issue with all my pop3 accounts, not just gmail (which seems to be a common problem), and I haven't found a solution after searching all the "major" forums.

Eric
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm leaving that to you and DrDoom - that's way out of my province.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Interesting thoughts. What were your ideas to fix it (or how would your ideal OS GUI work)?
    Well, here are some very unoriginal ideas based on my extensive experience with the Palm OS, lesser (but still extensive) experience with PPC's, and limited experience with Symbian S60 (a Cingular pre-paid N-Gage QD I picked up for $99):

Basically, take the Palm OS GUI / design guidelines and combine them with the CE.NET multitasking kernel and built-in sub-pixel rendering font support.

Because it's now a multitasking OS, you'll want some sort of task switcher. It should be easily accessible via a hard button push-and-hold along the lines of Symbian S60's method or the tweak Palm offered with the 700w (push-and-hold on the OK hard button). Doing that should pop up an icon/text list of the last five used apps (regardless of whether they're still running).

There should be hard buttons for about four commonly used apps. I'm thinking: Home (see below), Web, Email, and Music/Video, though the ability to customize these per a user's preference is a good thing.

The "home" button should launch a phone-app-on-steroids along the lines of the 700w's home view.

The "all other applications" view might be accessible via a dedicated hard button, but I could see just having it easily available via the home/phone-app-on-steroids view via a single button press from that view. Once there, you want a small icon/list view which shows a good number of apps per page and where you can jump/launch an app quickly by typing the first letter or two of the app's name via the thumbboard.

There should be a dedicated "app menu" hard button. Every app needs an app-specific menu, so there should be a hard button dedicated to this.

Touchscreen or not? Tough call. Touchscreens add definite advantages but they also add cost, thickness, and fragility. If no touchscreen, "soft buttons" make sense. If a touchscreen is included, "soft buttons" are a waste.

Hardware-wise, you want a big comfy D-Pad, a thumbboard with well-thought-out layout for modern internet/email usage (see Danger hiptop) and a hard switch for muting all sound (a la Treo).

One of these days, maybe I'll mockup some screenshots. But some of these ideas I'd like to turn into add-on apps for either the Palm OS, WM5, or both.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I was sufficiently intruiged by your ideas to do a mockup myself.

Features implemented would be:
    1) holding down the Ok button closes the app, else it minimizes it.
    2) pressing the windows button will open the app menu.
    3) pressing and holding the windows button would open the start menu (which would act as the task switcher, with the 5 last apps used (it does this already)).
    4) 5 hard button for apps included. I chose the today screen, music, internet, e-mail and calender, but thats obviously customizable.

5) All other apps can be accessed via the start menu. If you chose the start menu, and then press left on the d-pad it will take you to the small text programs list.
    6) pressing and holding on the music keys (ERTY) would change the music playing in WMP, but without brining it to the front.
    7) There would be many more dual function keys using press and hold, with labels on the shell e.g. brightness, volume, mute, WIFI on, bluetooth on etc. It would basically make the keyboard a whole lot more useful.

I believe most of this can be done with little effort. I wish I was still programming as a hobby.

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Fork you. (I still love you, though)
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EWT
    I'm returning a 6700 and reactivating my 650 today after using the 6700 for 10 days. I'm tired of accidently hanging up calls, making untintended calls after turning the keys off with the button on top of the phone, and having it decide to delete emails for me among other problems. It has some nice bells and whistles the 650 doesn't have, but it is greatly inferior as a phone, and the way Pocket Outlook makes items in your inbox disappear into thin air after a send/receive if you pull the message off the mail server with your laptop is a deal breaker for me. I'm having that issue with all my pop3 accounts, not just gmail (which seems to be a common problem), and I haven't found a solution after searching all the "major" forums.

Eric
    I'm considering a return to the Treo (again). this time to the 700. I tried blazer with the web apps I need to run and while it's clunkier than Bitstream's WM5 browser, it's still far faster and more robust than IE for mobile...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    That's a 14" tall unit, right?

Let's call this one: Codename "Nightstick"...

Seriouly cool ideas...

[EDIT: After saving this post, I looked at it again. I think codename "Ping Pong Paddle" might even be better...]
    Its based on the benq P51 (and I did not actually make it longer), It its any consolation the benq P51 has GPS built-in too.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/14/2006 at 01:25 AM.
  17.    #117  
    The concept is great, but I have to admit, a feel I should be "on the court returning service" with that form factor.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The concept is great, but I have to admit, a feel I should be "on the court returning service" with that form factor.
    The "P" in PDA stands for Paddle?
    The "P" in PDA stands for Paddle?
    That's just what you need, another paddle.
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    That's just what you need, another paddle.
    The better to whack all us Treo Traitors with!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast