Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Back on topic.

WM phones from Computex. I dont know about 1000 cuts, but these sure add up.

None are HTC phones BTW.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/06/2006 at 05:26 PM.
  2.    #62  
    It's raining (more like pouring) Treo competitors. Glad to see Palm didn't want to go out on a limb and make any big changes in the 650+ (I mean 700p).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Chip sales up higher then expected for 2006 due to "gadgets"... Sounds like this is a booming market. Palm, are you listening??
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Chip sales up higher then expected for 2006 due to "gadgets"... Sounds like this is a booming market. Palm, are you listening??
    I dunno about Palm...heh...I'm about to tune you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    You get your new phone yet?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Please do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I am happy with Treo 650, I will switch when Vista WM6 appears. Current 5 is just to slow and clunky.
    Ya gotta read this months InfoWorld which covers the recently announced Vista hardware requirements .... How many of todays computers will be capable of running Vista ?.... the answer given was none and while seemingly tongue and cheek, it doesn't look far off. Not many business machines out there w/ 128 MB vid cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    careful he will tune you out also, the threat of that send chills up my spine for sure. dang for pants to not listen to me, not sure I can handle that one...whew...call 911...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I got it...and I love it and I hate it.

Finally "remembered" what my issue was with the redial issue with the 6700...

If I receive a phone call while the phone is in my case, or pocket, or any place where it can be bumped -- but I do NOT answer the call, it leaves the phone screen displayed and active. If the joystick gets bumped, the default action is to "re-dial" so I start making outgoing calls without meaning to.

Of course...once someone hangs up from my non-call, the default screen is the dial pad again...and again...if the joystick gets bumped, it will re-dial the phone.

Its a big pain. Even MortSaver doesn't necessary protect you from this all the time. I haven't gotten it re-installed yet, but I know there is some issue with the Mort products that still allows the phone to dial out.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    careful he will tune you out also, the threat of that send chills up my spine for sure. dang for pants to not listen to me, not sure I can handle that one...whew...call 911...
    I realize you can't hear my tone when I say I'm gunna tune you out...but obviously I'm kidding. You can continue to annoy me all you want...I keep lovin' ya, man.

Group hug. (that's the best way to get people's wallets, BTW)
  11.    #71  
    I got it...and I love it and I hate it.

Finally "remembered" what my issue was with the redial issue with the 6700...

If I receive a phone call while the phone is in my case, or pocket, or any place where it can be bumped -- but I do NOT answer the call, it leaves the phone screen displayed and active. If the joystick gets bumped, the default action is to "re-dial" so I start making outgoing calls without meaning to.

Of course...once someone hangs up from my non-call, the default screen is the dial pad again...and again...if the joystick gets bumped, it will re-dial the phone.

Its a big pain. Even MortSaver doesn't necessary protect you from this all the time. I haven't gotten it re-installed yet, but I know there is some issue with the Mort products that still allows the phone to dial out.
    That'a so strange compared to my 8125. In my pocket, it stays off until I touch the power button on top. If I put it in my pocket, a quick tap on the top button protects it from button and screen presses (saves battery too) - is there nothing simialr on teh 6700?

I realize you can't hear my tone when I say I'm gunna tune you out...but obviously I'm kidding. You can continue to annoy me all you want...I keep lovin' ya, man.

Group hug. (that's the best way to get people's wallets, BTW)
    You ain't getting that close to my back pocket from a group hug!
    More pics and specs from computex. I think the other picture links got messed up in some way.

Asus MyPal A639 (Pocket PC): Intel XScale 416MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 1GB ROM, GPS (SiRFstar III), 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, a QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, Windows Mobile 5.0, 122mm x 73.2mm x 18.8mm (19.46mm).

Mio PT200 (Pocket PC / Portable Media Device): 64MB RAM, 64MB ROM, 20GB integrated HDD, a DVB-T receiver, a 3.7" VGA (640 x 480) TFT-LCD, an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, infrared, 2400mAh battery, Windows Mobile 5.0, 148.8mm x 88.3mm x 33.7mm.

E-TEN M600+ (Pocket PC Phone Edition): Samsung S3C2440 400MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, quad-band GSM/GPRS support, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, a 2.0-megapixel camera, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, 1400mAh battery, Windows Mobile 5.0, 111.7mm x 60.7mm x 22mm.

OKWAP K728 (Smartphone): Samsung S3C2442A 400MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, Bluetooth 2.0 (A2DP included), a 2.0-megapixel camera, a miniSD slot, a 176 x 220 display, a slide-out numeric keypad, a touch-screen panel, an FM radio tuner, Windows Mobile 5.0 (Smartphone, MSFP included), 93.5mm x 46mm x 24.5mm, 107.8g, RRP below US$300. (Smartphone OS with touch screen)

OKWAP K868 (Pocket PC Phone Edition): Intel PXA270 416MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, Bluetooth 2.0 (A2DP included), USB, a 2.0-megapixel camera, an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, a 2.4" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, OCR/BCR/QR 2D barcode support, Windows Mobile 5.0 (MSFP included), 106mm x 51mm x 18.2mm, 100g.

Lite-On Phoenix 2 (Pocket PC Phone Edition): Intel PXA270 520MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, USB Host, a 2.0-megapixel camera, an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, 1240mAh battery, Windows Mobile 5.0, 114mm x 58mm x 18.7mm, 149g.

Kinpo Tin (Pocket PC Phone Edition): Freescale i.MX21 350MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (A2DP included), infrared, mini-USB, a 2.0-megapixel camera, a miniSD slot, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) LTPS TFT-LCD, Windows Mobile 5.0, 109mm x 55mm x 21.5mm.

Kinpo Saturn (Pocket PC Phone Edition): Freescale i.MX21 520MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, 802.11g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, infrared, a 2.0-megapixel camera, a miniSD slot, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) LTPS TFT-LCD, a slide-out keyboard, Windows Mobile 5.0, 126mm x 59.4mm x 22.4mm, 195g.

Gigabyte g-Smart i120 (Pocket PC Phone Edition): 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, 802.11g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, infrared, a 2.1-megapixel camera, a miniSD slot, a 2.4" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, a TV and FM radio tuner, 920/1300mAh battery, Windows Mobile 5.0, 106.3mm x 53mm x 19.5mm.

Gigabyte g-Smart i300 (Pocket PC Phone Edition): 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, 802.11g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, GPS (SiRFstar III), a 2.0-megapixel camera, a miniSD slot, a 2.4" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, an FM tuner, 920/1300mAh battery, Windows Mobile 5.0, 102.5mm x 51.5mm x 19mm.

AnexTEK moboDA 3160 (Pocket PC Phone Edition): Intel PXA272 416MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, tri-band GSM/GPRS support, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, a 1.3-megapixel camera, an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, push-to-talk over cellular (PoC) support, 1500mAh battery, Windows Mobile 5.0 (MSFP included), 110.5mm x 58.6mm x 19.8mm, 150g.

AnexTEK moboDA 3380 (Pocket PC Phone Edition): Intel PXA272 520MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, GPS, a 2.0-megapixel camera, an SDIO/SD/MMC slot, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, a QWERTY thumb-board, 1350mAh battery, Windows Mobile 5.0 (MSFP included), 127mm x 66mm x 19.5mm, 170g.

Asus P305 (Smartphone): Intel XScale 416MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, GSM + W-CDMA support, Bluetooth 1.2, infrared, a 1.3-megapixel camera, a miniSD slot, Windows Mobile 5.0 (Smartphone, MSFP included).

CMCS Debussy (Smartphone): TI OMAP 850 200MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2 (A2DP included), mini-USB, a 1.3-megapixel camera, a microSD slot, a 2.0" 176 x 220 display, Windows Mobile 5.0, 105.8mm x 47.8mm x 16.2mm.

BCM Wigo 800 (Smartphone): GSM support, Wi-Fi, a 2.0-megapixel camera, Windows Mobile 5.0.

Unitech PA600 (Rugged Handheld): Windows Mobile 5.0.

http://www.mobile-review.com/exhibit...w-models.shtml

You pay your money, you makes your choices.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/08/2006 at 03:37 PM.
  13.    #73  
    Man, it's a monsoon of WM5 devices. So sad for Palm...

Putting a touchscreen on that K728 may be the last ticket for me. I'd miss the keyboard, but transcriber/screen keyboard would work in most instances and it sure looks small and pocketable.
    But, just how many of these devices will ever make it to US shores?? I get a little fed up with having to go through Dynamism, or Expansys to get gadgets.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    But, just how many of these devices will ever make it to US shores?? I get a little fed up with having to go through Dynamism, or Expansys to get gadgets.
    That does suck, doesn't it. If Cingular would just get off its dead @$$ and roll out HSDPA, I'd think it would generate much more interest in bringing these hot gadgets ashore. Until then, why care about us poor yanks.
    Dang, I forgot I was in this discussion at some point...

WM is doing the right thing by saturating the market, and has a few ODMs playing with them. However, as long as the devices are the same (not meaning across carriers, and spit improvements keep them in the corporate eye (better than what the Treo is doing but still nothing major in that predictable every other run cycle). In some truth, the Treo's days are numbered, and dead in a good deal of cases. However, where the Treo isnt dead is where the money is and where the slew of WM releases haven't gotten yet, i.e. in the minds of people who wouldn't know what a Treo forum looked like :shocked:

One point in the discsussion:
    Moto will do really well with the Q. Its the carrier that wont like it once the more business users start complaining that its not Treo or BB enough. Nice product, but shoulda had the full WM not Smartphone.

gharrod:
    The Japanese sales philosophy has made Honda and Japan extremly profitable, and for one reason or another people want their cars. Tis not a bad thing for a tech company to do the same thing. But I do agree, that the 700 did take it a bit too far. While many corporate types wont stand for the 700p, the 700W and whatever is next is what they want (dang MS shops) and it will go for as long as MS says that WM and SharePoint will play nicely in future apps.

Another point you made was about that next big thing: while I agree that someone needs to make it, it wont jsut be hardware. It will have to be ease of use and execution at an insanely cheap price to emerging markets second and established markets (but not the enterprise sector) first. It would be nice to have a mobile OS that really was a mobile OS, not something adapted for the funtion (and I know Symbian calls itself that, but its like PalmOS in that its an organizer OS that has been elegantly/fuguly checked/updated).

Another part of this discussion:
    I am a huge Palm fan. I was very impressed at the WM Treo as well. I still think that its the best WM device to have come out since the first few gens of iPaq, and I say that with its horrible memory management, and lackluster features all for a silly-high price. Palm did well. Its unfortunate that the PalmOS could not help them in that respect. But to what they have been given, they have done well.

Another point:
    The Treo hasnt seen a major update since going from 300 to 600. The BB's only real update has been from the BB fat to the BB phone form factor. For some reason, they are designs that work well, and are very usable to their audiences. While being able to have multiple forms and oohs, WM device still dont have a design that makes people go, "hey, get me one of them!" Regardless of the previous posts about the photographially large Universal being an attractive device, many users just don't want that much trouble for convergance.

Personal note:
    Been using a Treo as my main comp when not at work since end of May. Something I have realized, the 650 is a heck of a device. It stands up well to planned program management. And yes, I do my once a day reset (at least till I figured out it was an eval program causing my network issues), but really, its as solid as my T616 was, and with a lot easier means of keeping up with things around me. Have I considered going WM? You bet. The 8125 and Universal have been in my sights for a long time. However, the usability of those models sucks. The 700w is close, but I need a means of getting rid of that dang start menu and the philosophy of nesting everything in cascading lists (there's a time and a place for those). When Palm does another W, or O2 does a keyboard toting Atom with the 5way of the 700w, I might just make the jump (if only for a while to get thing in there). I am also looking at the E61 (screw the Cingular castrated version), and I am impressed, but I am like the person's wife mentioned above in that I want a touchscreen.

So what am I saying, the same thing that many others have said: its a personal choice, and your money will go that way in which you think will serve you best.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    That does suck, doesn't it. If Cingular would just get off its dead @$$ and roll out HSDPA, I'd think it would generate much more interest in bringing these hot gadgets ashore. Until then, why care about us poor yanks.
    Well you know, Cingular will then have a reason for selling you a $50/month HSPDA plan then too. And then the phones wont sell, and they will come back and say no one wants the phones so why bring them here. And then we are back at this same line of question and answering again in a few years (or model cycles if you are Palm).

Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Well you know, Cingular will then have a reason for selling you a $50/month HSPDA plan then too. And then the phones wont sell, and they will come back and say no one wants the phones so why bring them here. And then we are back at this same line of question and answering again in a few years (or model cycles if you are Palm).
    Just to further on what you and Strauss bring up, I remember it being mentioned somewhere (sorry, source escapes me) that the reason many makers don't release these things here is because of RTFM. Seems Americans are lazy and don't want to take the time to learn. We buy, can't figure out how to work the thing, and return it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Insertion, amen to that comment. Folks here are too lazy (and it gets worse the higher in management one goes sometimes too).

What I like from that list is the variety. If I want a GPS device I can get it. If I want a media player with a large HDD, there it is. The carriers could never support such a variety, but Expansys applied carrier subsidies to 3rd party devices (e.g getting the Mitac A701 GPS Smartphone for only $100), so they wont have to. Thats what I like about GSM.

Surur
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast