Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just an FYI to anyone considering a change in their phone plans with Sprint...especially anyone who uses a lot of minutes and wants unlimited data...

    I was inspired to contact retentions earlier this week -- after seeing the great deals so many people said they were able to get -- because I need to move from my 650 BACK to a PPC-based phone.

    I was seriously considering the MotoQ - or the 6700 and am a heavy user of phone and data. Verizon has their Max-4000 plan that includes unlimited data and 4000 minutes for $169 a month. A hellvua buy if you need that much time/data...and I was seriously considering a jump. So I called my "buddies" at retention to see what they could do for me...

    I've been with Sprint for about 4 years...averaging $100-$130 a month. And I have "excellent" credit as far as their system is concerned. So I'm a "keeper" from their perspective.

    To add to this, I've been thinking about adding my wife and my parents and pooling a larger amount of minutes between them and splitting the cost.

    So...I told Sprint that I wanted to see how they could compare with $169 at Verizon plus $30 to add the extra phones...blah blah. I laid it all out as a $200 Verizon plan that I told the Sprint reps I could get a 20% discount on. Essentially giving me 4 phones with 4000 minutes for about $170 a month.

    Sprint went to work for me. To shorten the story -- after talking with 3 different renetion reps (one was totally clueless...and 2 were excellent) I ended up getting the following:

    3000 Shared Minutes
    4 Phone lines - 1 PPC-6700 and 3 LG 2300's
    Powervision "plus" for the 6700
    500 free txt messages for all 4 lines
    Free nights/weekends starting at 6 p.m.

    Cost: $119.99 a month

    I told the rep that Verizon had the PPC-6700 on their web site at $299. She put me on hold and came back 2 minutes later and said "We'll do it for $150".

    I also received the 3 LG 2300's for free in deal. (2 red and one sliver )

    No Shipping costs...no tax...delivered directly me I got all 4 phones for $150 total.

    In addition...Sprint has a $100 mail-in rebate on the PPC-6700 right now so I'm going to see if I can get another $100 off - effectively giving me the PPC-6700 for $50. Even if this doesn't work...I'm happy with the 6700 for $150!

    I'm jazzed about Sprint. They earned my business big time today! I wanted to share the love...
  2. #2  
    You are da man...Thanks for the keeping Sprint honest tip.
    at&t iPhone3G
  3. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #3  
    I see your avatar is bowing before me. Hmmm...
  4. #4  
    Palm Hater!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I see your avatar is bowing before me. Hmmm...
    Thats the same thing I say when I log on...
    at&t iPhone3G
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Palm Hater!!
    I like the 6700 Insert...Its a brick, but it's a good one.
    at&t iPhone3G
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I like the 6700 Insert...Its a brick, but it's a good one.
    I like it too, am leaning towards getting it. Just giving Haggar a hard time for all the poo he flung my way for wanting one one instead of a Palm.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I like it too, am leaning towards getting it. Just giving Haggar a hard time for all the poo he flung my way for wanting one one instead of a Palm.
    You are both traitors! Why don't you go post on 6700central.com...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    You are both traitors! Why don't you go post on 6700central.com...
    I thought we agreed to meet up at burritocentral.

    All kidding aside, I haven't ruled out the 700p. If I can get one for a great price, I'll pick one up.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I thought we agreed to meet up at burritocentral.

    All kidding aside, I haven't ruled out the 700p. If I can get one for a great price, I'll pick one up.
    What's a great price, I'm wondering? You haven't called retentions? I'm sure you could pull off one of the great deals that everyone has been talking about. I actually considered the 6700 also. it looks pretty sweet. but it is really bricky and the pulling out bugs me.

    btw, I found a decent burrito in l.a.! Actually, Alhambra. Las Cunadas on Atlantic near Mission. Across the street from Bob Wondries. You should check it out. Just ask for no beans and rice in your carne asada or chorizo and egg burrito. Delicious!
  11. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    What's a great price, I'm wondering? You haven't called retentions? I'm sure you could pull off one of the great deals that everyone has been talking about. I actually considered the 6700 also. it looks pretty sweet. but it is really bricky and the pulling out bugs me.

    btw, I found a decent burrito in l.a.! Actually, Alhambra. Las Cunadas on Atlantic near Mission. Across the street from Bob Wondries. You should check it out. Just ask for no beans and rice in your carne asada or chorizo and egg burrito. Delicious!
    I'm getting the 6700 against my better judgement. I didn't care for it a whole last back in December when I used one for 2 weeks...BUT...sad to say there's no way to use LogMeIn or GoToMyPC on Palm. I need remote desktop capabilities.

    I'm a treo lover at heart. Honest. Been one since the days of my 280. BUT...the reality is, as many have said, the PalmOS is tired. It isn't capable of so many of the things that the PPC. That said, the Treo is a FAR BETTER phone and a much easier, smoother, and more reliable PDA as a contact manager. It's all the OTHER things I'm going to need to do now that keep me from saying with the POS.

    I'm not selling my 650. It'll be around here in case I can't stand the 6700...but nonetheless...I got one heck of a deal on the 6700 and the plan so I'm happy for now!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I'm getting the 6700 against my better judgement. I didn't care for it a whole last back in December when I used one for 2 weeks...BUT...sad to say there's no way to use LogMeIn or GoToMyPC on Palm. I need remote desktop capabilities.

    I'm a treo lover at heart. Honest. Been one since the days of my 280. BUT...the reality is, as many have said, the PalmOS is tired. It isn't capable of so many of the things that the PPC. That said, the Treo is a FAR BETTER phone and a much easier, smoother, and more reliable PDA as a contact manager. It's all the OTHER things I'm going to need to do now that keep me from saying with the POS.

    I'm not selling my 650. It'll be around here in case I can't stand the 6700...but nonetheless...I got one heck of a deal on the 6700 and the plan so I'm happy for now!
    A regretful traitor is still a traitor!! lol. Congrats on the great deal, Haggar.
  13. #13  
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I called the retentiveness center myself. I have been a customer for weeks and have crappy credit, so they were didn't want to squeeze me out. I expelled a sob story and after much consternation, they relieved themselves of an 180P for only 500 big ones! I almost defecated right there! I soon evacuated myself from the store and have secreted a special love for Sprint ever since. This is no load of B.S.!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I called the retentiveness center myself. I have been a customer for weeks and have crappy credit, so they were didn't want to squeeze me out. I expelled a sob story and after much consternation, they relieved themselves of an 180P for only 500 big ones! I almost defecated right there! I soon evacuated myself from the store and have secreted a special love for Sprint ever since. This is no load of B.S.!
    You are a Sprint brother now...
    at&t iPhone3G
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    What's a great price, I'm wondering? You haven't called retentions? I'm sure you could pull off one of the great deals that everyone has been talking about. I actually considered the 6700 also. it looks pretty sweet. but it is really bricky and the pulling out bugs me.

    btw, I found a decent burrito in l.a.! Actually, Alhambra. Las Cunadas on Atlantic near Mission. Across the street from Bob Wondries. You should check it out. Just ask for no beans and rice in your carne asada or chorizo and egg burrito. Delicious!
    Well, it's a bit more than just a dollar figure. Although it'd be nice to get it for under $350. The problem is, every step of the way (going through Sprint at least,) the 6700 comes up cheaper, or at the same price. Even though the 6700 has quirks, (pop out keyboard, landscape lag, etc.,) it still offers more bang for the buck.

    I've used Pocket PC's for years, so I've already got the software in place. Makes the move to the 6700 all the more easier for me. But I'm still working other angles outside of Sprint, such as the Palm Developer discounts, etc...we'll see.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    But I'm still working other angles outside of Sprint, such as the Palm Developer discounts, etc...we'll see.
    I'd simply play dumb with Sprint and tell them you can get a Treo 700P from Verizon for $399 plus a 25% corporate discount...making it $300...tell them is such a great price blah blah blah...That's essentially what I did...and they had no problem dropping me from $449 to $150 on the 6700.

    I'll bet they'd do something similar on the 700P...maybe not right now so close to launch...but in a month or so I'd think you could score one for $200 or less if you play the game with them.

    I guess I'm assuming you're already with Sprint?

    I am so hoping they'll let me do the $100 mail-in rebate. At $50 for the phone I might just have to keep my 650 and sell the 6700 on e-bay and pocket the difference for a nextgen WM device later this year...
  17. #17  
    Haggar - welcome back to the dark side. Despite your misgivings, at those prices there is no way to pass up the deal. I just wish we'd get EV-DO out here - Sprint might be worth jumping ship.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  18. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #18  
    Oh - one more thing I thought I'd mention that I found interesting when working with retentions...

    The last time I was in the Sprint store and "re-upped" my contract, the salesperson said I qualified for a 15% discount on my monthly service because I had been a customer in good standing for so long. So they added the discount.

    This week, while talking with retentions, one of the people I talked to told me the "most" they could discount my plan was 20%. So he offered to take 20% off my monthly bill. I didn't like that deal, so I told him I'd have to think about it.

    I called back 10 minutes later...fishing for more but ready to take the offer as it was presented (essentially the same, but with 2200 minutes instead of 3000). This time I spoke with someone I felt obviously knew the system better. While we talked...she said the "most" she could give me was a 20% on top of the 15% I was already getting...so she ended up giving me a 35% discount. Not quite what SERO has to offer...but good enough for me.

    But I thought I'd make sure to tell anyone might be trying to deal with retentions that they should check and see if they first qualify for the 15% discount before they head over to retentions. It may help put you in a better negotiating position.
  19. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Haggar - welcome back to the dark side. Despite your misgivings, at those prices there is no way to pass up the deal. I just wish we'd get EV-DO out here - Sprint might be worth jumping ship.
    My son went as Darth Vader for Halloween last year. Perhaps I'm going to need that mask when my phone arrives.

    Hope I don't scare my clients...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Haggar - welcome back to the dark side. Despite your misgivings, at those prices there is no way to pass up the deal. I just wish we'd get EV-DO out here - Sprint might be worth jumping ship.
    You hate CDMA...
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions