Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Although this is only a preorder site, the "discounted" $899 price may explain the sudden absence of Samsung i320 news:

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...roductid=21267

With Verizon pricing the Q at $199 with two year contract and data plan, there is NO WAY the Samsung i320 can compete, even if it were only $100 more, much less $700.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Yeah that price differential would pretty much kill it!

I hear Cingular is going to be offering the Nokia E62 at a $99 price point, which would be incredible. Obviously it's not the same phone as the E61 since they took out the killer features the e61 has...but it still should compete well with the Q, esp in the corp market where camera phones are not allowed and true push email is already included
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  3.    #3  
    If this is what you were talking about:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/31/n...cingular-soon/

then I can see why there's no great rush on the GSM Treo - if this thing comes in at a "Q" like price, Palm couldn't compete.
    A huge pile of competition in the limited QWERTY keyboard phone market is going to be tough on Palm.

Surur
    damn damn damn. I am waiting for one of these new form factor qwerty phones with Palm OS, wifi, 2 + MP cam to come to Sprint. As soon as this happens, bye bye Treo!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If this is what you were talking about:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/31/n...cingular-soon/

then I can see why there's no great rush on the GSM Treo - if this thing comes in at a "Q" like price, Palm couldn't compete.
    ds, other than the thin form factor and the fact that its probably going to be cheap, what's so great about the E62? I understand the E61 has mostly everything people are clamoring for, but the E62 lacks true 3g and wifi, and has a relatively slow processor. And if I remember correctly, you're not a fan of miniSD. If Palm made this device, would you be satisfied with it?

How is the Symbian OS, btw? How does it compare to POS and Windows mobile?
    I dont think it really matters if it would satisfy dstrauss. It will split the market. and will eliminate the low-end Treo market, while being more stylish. It will eliminate the bottom 50% of their market, while doing the phone stuff better. It is a real threat to them.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    A huge pile of competition in the limited QWERTY keyboard phone market is going to be tough on Palm.

Surur
    sigh....something never changes. Don't you get tired of bashing palm all the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I dont think it really matters if it would satisfy dstrauss. It will split the market. and will eliminate the low-end Treo market, while being more stylish. It will eliminate the bottom 50% of their market, while doing the phone stuff better. It is a real threat to them.

Surur
    I was asking him a question because I was interested in his opinion, not whether it's going to eliminate any of their market. So, since I asked the question, it does really matter to me. Thanks for your input though.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    ds, other than the thin form factor and the fact that its probably going to be cheap, what's so great about the E62? I understand the E61 has mostly everything people are clamoring for, but the E62 lacks true 3g and wifi, and has a relatively slow processor. And if I remember correctly, you're not a fan of miniSD. If Palm made this device, would you be satisfied with it?

How is the Symbian OS, btw? How does it compare to POS and Windows mobile?
    Latest report (Gizmodo I think) says that WiFi is back in, but no 3G. That would give it a leg up on "Q" but a little wider. I'm not a fan of miniSD, but almost NO new converged phones are coming out with SD except for Palm (at least they stay true to their fans in that respect). What's worse, some of these puppies are showing up with microSD (transflash)?

What's so great about E62 (particularly if it has WiFi): its thinner. lighter, and for GSM more full featured than the Treo (you will not see a Treo 700p for GSM thanks to Frankengarnet); and is likely to cost $200-$300 LESS than a Treo. I fully expect a Nokia to have better call and reception quality than any Treo (same goes for the Motorola). That will be enough for a large junk of the planet as Surur pointed out.

As for Symbian, I really have no experience, but a review of the MS Office compatibale editors in the E61 I saw recently put them well above Pocket Office or Docs to Go in their quality. Besides, this is primarily a Euro device, so I'm sure Symbian is second nature to that market.
    I just got my nokia E61 this past week and I really do enjoy it. Everything runs smoothly just like how a phone should and it has really started to make me like nokia again. This is the first Symbian Series 60 Nokia with a full qwerty keyboard on it. Even though this phone does not have a camera, it has better implemented features to make you forget about the fact that it does not have a cam. Also, the battery life is amazing in this phone.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Latest report (Gizmodo I think) says that WiFi is back in, but no 3G. That would give it a leg up on "Q" but a little wider. I'm not a fan of miniSD, but almost NO new converged phones are coming out with SD except for Palm (at least they stay true to their fans in that respect). What's worse, some of these puppies are showing up with microSD (transflash)?

What's so great about E62 (particularly if it has WiFi): its thinner. lighter, and for GSM more full featured than the Treo (you will not see a Treo 700p for GSM thanks to Frankengarnet); and is likely to cost $200-$300 LESS than a Treo. I fully expect a Nokia to have better call and reception quality than any Treo (same goes for the Motorola). That will be enough for a large junk of the planet as Surur pointed out.

As for Symbian, I really have no experience, but a review of the MS Office compatibale editors in the E61 I saw recently put them well above Pocket Office or Docs to Go in their quality. Besides, this is primarily a Euro device, so I'm sure Symbian is second nature to that market.
    Are either touchscreen?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Are either touchscreen?
    I'm with geatch...I'm kinda the touchy-feely type. I need to have a touchscreen. Needs to be one-handed operation -- but it's gotta have a touchscreen, too.
  14.    #14  
    Don't beleive either is touch screen
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Don't beleive either is touch screen
    That's very dstraussing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    That's very dstraussing...
    How long have you been saving that one?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    How long have you been saving that one?
    damn...that one's been in me for a LONG time...
    The e61, Q, or the i320 do not have touchscreens. I played with the moto Q at a verizon kiosk yesterday and i liked everything about it except the provider that it was on. Especially because we all know that vzw takes out some features in the phones that they sell. Other than that the Q was very responsive and it broswed the web and menu fast and with ease.

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    The e61, Q, or the i320 do not have touchscreens. I played with the moto Q at a verizon kiosk yesterday and i liked everything about it except the provider that it was on. Especially because we all know that vzw takes out some features in the phones that they sell. Other than that the Q was very responsive and it broswed the web and menu fast and with ease.
    What are your primary needs/requirements when it comes to a smartphone?

The main reasons I can't accept a product like the Q is that I do occassionally need to access and edit office documents...and as I posted elsewhere i'm now needing remote desktop capabilities. Without a touchscreen, using LogMeIn or GoToMyPC becomes quite cumbersome (not impossible, but cumbersome).

How are the phone dial pad and address books set up in the Smartphone edition? Do they different from WM5? I think WM5's implementation of a dialer and the way you access your addess book to dial numbers is completely unusable.

With WM5 I felt that you *need* to use voicedial if you want to be able to access phone numbers quickly. But voicedial is inefficient, too, given how much time it takes to say something out loud and then for the system to confirm and dial out....is Smartphone much better?
    The Q was almost like a Blackberry. I did not get a chance to check out the voicedial but I did mess around in the menus. Now what I use my smartphones mostly for is the occaisional email and a lot a web browsing. I also use use the qwerty keyboard to help me knock out texts fast. I have a hard time using a phone without a keyboard now since I am online all the time and I am sending a minimum of about 100 texts a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast