Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    If you are in a metropolitan area its not a deal breaker. It still scored 5,4, and 5 out of 5 stars in the review, so I think they still liked it overall.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    If you are in a metropolitan area its not a deal breaker.
    Based just on the msmobiles story, I'm not so sure. "this phone has serious problems with connecting to UMTS networks, particularly in areas where signal strength is low" is not quite the same as "this phone has serious problems with connecting to UMTS networks, but only in areas where signal strength is low". I've not read the original Connect review but if anyone has perhaps they could comment further. It would be interesting to know how UMTS connection on the Vario II compares to other devices.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    What are the differences in the Hermes and T-Mo's MDA?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5339.html

This, however, is not so good:
    Since the Hermes is not officially released reviewer probably had a preproduction unit, so the ROM is not final. These problems likely to be fixed when officially released.
  5.    #45  

In essense its slightly slimmer, has a better keyboard and a jog dial, has a better quality and higher res 2 megapixel camera, has a video conferencing vga camera front mounter, and uses the GSM UMTS 3G network (384-700 kb/sec). It also uses a smaller memory card, has a 400 mhz processor and has no audio out socket (but has A2DP). It has a better set of buttons in front, with start and OK included from the start.

As you can see, there are more differences than similarities.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    Since the Hermes is not officially released reviewer probably had a preproduction unit, so the ROM is not final. These problems likely to be fixed when officially released.
    Hopefully! As the msmobile report says, it could be software, it could be hardware. As I understand it, this will be one of the first devices with HSDPA so presumably it has a newish (first generation?) UMTS/HSDPA radio. I guess it's not inconceivable that the new radio isn't up to scratch (isn't as good at UMTS connections as UMTS, non-HSDPA modules).
  7.    #47  
    In my experience expecting things to improve in final production usually leavez one unsatisfied.

Surur
    Looks like I'll be converting to the Hermes as soon as its available through T-Mo in the US.
    It's great and all... but it has a MicroSD!! grr what a pain.
    I don't mind the micro sd so much, i only have a 256mb card for my treo600, so i'll be ready to drop the cash for a 1gb micro. I just hope to be able to find a good, stable vpn client for it.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur

In essense its slightly slimmer, has a better keyboard and a jog dial, has a better quality and higher res 2 megapixel camera, has a video conferencing vga camera front mounter, and uses the GSM UMTS 3G network (384-700 kb/sec). It also uses a smaller memory card, has a 400 mhz processor and has no audio out socket (but has A2DP). It has a better set of buttons in front, with start and OK included from the start.

As you can see, there are more differences than similarities.

Surur
    Thanks, Surur.

Wow, this thing sounds impressive. Is the 3G the same for GSM as EVDO is to CDMA? Is this high speed wireless? I'm getting Edge now.

I am on T-Mobile with a Treo 650. I'm wanting to get a new handheld.

When will the Hermes be out? Maybe it will coincide with the next Palm release so I could have a couple of choices.

Thanks,
    Dim-Ize
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    Thanks, Surur.

Wow, this thing sounds impressive. Is the 3G the same for GSM as EVDO is to CDMA? Is this high speed wireless? I'm getting Edge now.
    Yes, but the cool part is that on UMTS 3G you can talk and surf at the same time, e.g speak to some-one while downloading e-mail or looking something up on the web. On EVDO you can do one or the other, but not both at the same time, at least on the current revision.

When will the Hermes be out? Maybe it will coincide with the next Palm release so I could have a couple of choices.

Thanks,
    Dim-Ize
    Cingular will get it in August apparently. We dont know anything about T-Mobile.

Surur
    I am correct in saying that T-Mobile Europe is currently carrying the Hermes as the MDA Vario II?
    i do love the addition of the jog-wheel and the fact that it's slimmer; however, in terms of the faster speed capability, unless T-Mo upgrades it's service beyond EDGE, what's the point? Also, these manufacturers need to keep business users in mind when designing such things as storage space cards. laptop computers and desktops now have sd card slots, but I've yet to see a mini-sd slot, much less a micro-sd slot. I was travelling in Europe the other day on business and needed to transfer a file that could not be e-mailled. I thought to myself that if I still was using my 650 and had my SanDisk USB 1gb SD card, i could just popthe card out of my phone and stick it into any computer...either one that had an sd card slot or atleats a USB slot. As there are still many computers that don't have SD card slots, as long as it had USB, which they all do, I could still transfer the file. With a mini SD slot, you still need the SD card adapter, but that also means that you have to travel with a SD card reader.

Right now, although I really like the Hermes, and I already have a MDA/Wizard, I may be going back to the Treo when Hollywood comes out. And the reception on my treo was better than it is on my mda.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    "Estimated 10 Days":

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TYTN

559.95 without a contract. Various prices with:

http://www.expansys.com/search.asp?s...7&nf=1&man=HTC
    That price isn't very attractive. One can only hope that t-mobile or cingular will carry it, I'd sign away 2 years of my mobile life to get this sexy handset
    The Expansys availability estimate more-or-less fits with what HTC says - "Available in Europe from the end of July 2006":

http://europe.htc.com/products/tytn.php
  18.    #58  
    This chap, who has an Asian Hermes, has no complaints about 3G reception. He says it is better than the universal.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=950743

Surur
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    That's one sexy looking phone. Will it be coming to T-Mobile?
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Look at Surur's post about 7 posts up.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast