Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I agree that is a cool and very useful feature, but it is not worth having to pay an extra $50-$80 or more a month to get a comparable plan with a GSM carrier that offers the minutes, data plan, and roaming options that I need.
    Yep I agree. Sprint is CHEAP. I will probably stick with them until Cingular gets HSDPA in my area and the Hermes is released/reasonably priced. EvDO is too fast to go to EGPRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    is it just me or does it have a video cam on the front side? great idea for video conferencing...
    in europe it supports video calling
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    I agree with hofo-mofo - its lack of a keyboard makes it a no go for me too
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    i said that lol? it has a keyboard and i will be jumping all over that...like white on rice...however...although my handwriting sucks the big one...i seem to have done very well with transcriber on my S200...i am proud of me
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    But aren't they for the phone keys, rather than keys you'd rather push without having to look for them like the Start and Ok, which are used so often? My first thought was that it would be all to easy to push buttons above or below the Start and Ok. Of course I haven't used the Hermes, so I'm just guessing.

EDIT. Just looked at a pic of the S200 and the buttons in question seem much better differentiated from their neighbours than those on the Hermes. Can't be sure from pics of course.
    I understand what you mean...if i understood you correctly the buttons look like they have a similar feel to them and such...and yeah that could be difficult...especially placing those in the middle of 2 other sets...should have followed something like the prophet...this is very well done
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    there is a keyboard...
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    I'm pretty fired up for this device. Too bad it's not expected here until late 2006 at the eariliest.
    I so want HSDAP and WM5 and we've had HSDPA here for a while. I'd have gotten the 8125 by now if it had HSDPA. I've played with a few people's T-Mobile MDA's and I really like it.
    At this point even if Palm releases the "Hollywood" (WM5, HSDPA) or whatever it is/was, I'll probabally hold out for the Hermes. I'm liking the screen real estate.
    MicroSD belongs to a tiny cellphone, not a big mofo like this. With all that speed, you can literally fill up the microSD card in minutes.
  9.    #29  
    Another gallery of pictures, probably from the older model. Note how much thinner it is than the HTC Wizard.

2 mega-pixel with macro mode.

Surur
    The hermes looks great. I cannot wait for cingular to get it. Then I will sell my wizard.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I dont know about that Mini-USB headset, seems a little odd to me. No biggy, might have a nice set of A2DP headphones out by the times HSDPA and this device are in my area. Also what was the comment about this phone having enough speed to fill the transflash card in minutes.
    surur

What are the dimensions of the Hermes - I thought it was the same size as the Wizard?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I would also like to know the dimensions. Any idea when Verizon might get it?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    surur

What are the dimensions of the Hermes - I thought it was the same size as the Wizard?
    Its about the same, but slightly thinner.

HTC Hermes 111 x 57 x 21 (+1 mm for a small hump)

HTC Wizard 108 x 58 x 23.7

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Its about the same, but slightly thinner.

HTC Hermes 111 x 57 x 21 (+1 mm for a small hump)

HTC Wizard 108 x 58 x 23.7

Surur
    Thanks Surur. If those dimensions are correct thene that makes the phone smaller than te Treo all around. That is great news I'm really liking this phone, but I don't see it coming out on Verizon anytime soon. Hopefully my 650 won't fall over dead by then. It's truly on it's last leg thanks to some abuse it has taken by accident.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Helevitia
    Thanks Surur. If those dimensions are correct thene that makes the phone smaller than te Treo all around. That is great news I'm really liking this phone, but I don't see it coming out on Verizon anytime soon. Hopefully my 650 won't fall over dead by then. It's truly on it's last leg thanks to some abuse it has taken by accident.
    The Hermes will never be available for Verizon. They may get a similar model,but it will be the predecessor to the HTC Apache (PPC/VX-6700).
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    The Hermes will never be available for Verizon. They may get a similar model,but it will be the predecessor to the HTC Apache (PPC/VX-6700).
    Isn't the Hermes the base model for all carriers and they will build around this base model?

Just like the Wizard is the base model for the current gen phones, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Yep I agree. Sprint is CHEAP. I will probably stick with them until Cingular gets HSDPA in my area and the Hermes is released/reasonably priced. EvDO is too fast to go to EGPRS.
    The big deal breaker for me with Sprint is the lack of international roaming. If you travel to europe several times per year this is a must.

(The SIM card portability and lack of carrier tie-in with the phones are VERY attractive features as well!)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Helevitia
    Isn't the Hermes the base model for all carriers and they will build around this base model?

Just like the Wizard is the base model for the current gen phones, right?
    Yes and no. The Wizard and the Apache are similar, but they have some key differences. Namely processor, form factor, and keyboards. They are not the same phone but are considered very close relation.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    Not sure about the positioning of Start and OK buttons, I can see those being a bit of pain to use.
    Thankfully they have been repositioned so they're like the Prophet now:

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5339.html

This, however, is not so good:

Quote Originally Posted by msmobiles
    this phone has serious problems with connecting to UMTS networks, particularly in areas where signal strength is low - sometimes it takes very long time to get connected to UMTS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast