Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Oh my gawd.. this things awesome! The built in speakers rock! Really impressive.

I can see this replacing IPODS!!!

I am going to continue discussions over at qusers.com so I don't repeat stuff at two different places.

I will say on the Q vs 700w that I can see how some may like one over the other... it basically comes down to Smartphone vs PocketPC editions....Smartphone edition appears to be MUCH more phone centric.

...before the Q and its form factor I went with the 700w BECAUSE of the form factor (exposed keyboard, one handed operability, etc) but now that I have been playing with the Q I think it has everything I need from a mobile device...now that's everything "I" need so there is certainly a market for the 700w still.

The form factor of the Q is absolutely killer! I find the keyboard better but am not sure yet on the layout of the option keys...like the location of the *,#,@,& keys, etc...time will tell....I gota say "Thin is IN"

The screen is beautiful....there are NO jagged edges on the fonts like on the 700w...

...the Q has plenty of memory so gone are the lack of resources problems of the 700w.

The best part is that so far everything just works and works well...it is a little hard getting used to the back and home button way of doing things from the OK and Windows key on the 700w....but it is nice to have one button for home to get me back to the home screen.

I will end this with the statement that I might just be in a honey moon state and reserve the right to change my opinion at a later time
    Last edited by gex; 05/27/2006 at 09:27 PM.
    post some pictures? i've never seen the Q before in action
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Ton of pics and one vid on my site....
    Whats your opinion regarding bugginess and stability. How many soft resets were forced to so far, and why?

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Absolutely no soft resets at all.. don't even know how to do one even if I wanted too

P.S. I have another video on my site
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    oh, the BT on this thing works very very well... man I didn't know what i was missing with BT that works this well...I am very impressed with the BT vs the 700w....but as bugs and errors come up i will post them...I do notice slight delays here and there from when i hit a key to when something happens at times...only about 1/2 sec delay but i still notice it..don't know if other will...don't think its much of an issue yet...we shall see.

To be honest...at this rate my 700w may be on ebay by Tuesday....as for me I don't have the need to edit documents and such...but I still need to use the Q more before I make that decision... phone sound quality is excellent...I think i mentioned elsewhere that it took a little while to get used to the different UI.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    oh.. and the thumb wheel implementation is just "ok".. think a little more work needs to be done on it...more by MS on the OS side...hardware wise its good... you can tell its not totally integrated into the UI at times...but still nice to have and should get better on future devices as MS see's its benefits and works in better support to the OS.
    Thats a pretty cool video. Please keep us up to date on the stability of the phone, as this seems to be the only valid criticism so far of this great device.

Surur
    gex, that latest video probably wasn't terribly useful for the reasons you commented on in your video. The 700w's camera will not only drop frames but also introduce blockiness, so looking at the video of you playing video likely doesn't do the Q's video playing justice. I'd prefer just to hear your personal observations about the quality of video playback with the Q.

Regarding the keyboard, I think the Q needs a few more keys. Backspace and a couple more keys for some dedicated symbols (and alt symbols) as you mentioned.

You mentioned liking that the Q has a dedicated Home key, but your 700w essentially has the same. The phone key brings you to the 700w's souped-up Today screen.

What was that text written on the bottom of your Q? Did it come like that or is that some sticker you put on there?

Any word on whether some Verizon stores will have these for display (even if not for sale) prior to their official store launch date?

How about some dslreports speed tests?

Thanks for giving us some valuable first-hand info.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    How is the wheel with web viewing ???
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    gex, that latest video probably wasn't terribly useful for the reasons you commented on in your video. The 700w's camera will not only drop frames but also introduce blockiness, so looking at the video of you playing video likely doesn't do the Q's video playing justice. I'd prefer just to hear your personal observations about the quality of video playback with the Q.
    Video playback excellent.. dare I say the best I have seen on a mobile phone device? I think so... (700w, i730, 6700)
    Regarding the keyboard, I think the Q needs a few more keys. Backspace and a couple more keys for some dedicated symbols (and alt symbols) as you mentioned.
    Yup...had to use underscore to put in my username for activesync but that is not there...had to bring up a screen with the different characters. Backspace is done with the back button. Took a little time to get used to it but that works fine.
    What was that text written on the bottom of your Q? Did it come like that or is that some sticker you put on there?
    It is a Palm screen protector sticker my makeshift skin until they come out with one from InvisibleShield or BSE
    Any word on whether some Verizon stores will have these for display (even if not for sale) prior to their official store launch date?
    Sorry... no idea.
    How about some dslreports speed tests?
    Same as the 700w. First test I did. In my home I avg between 600-700.
    Thanks for giving us some valuable first-hand info.
    Last edited by gex; 05/28/2006 at 01:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    How is the wheel with web viewing ???
    Same as the front directional pad...but it only works for going up and down...its so annoying when i want to go sideways..i have to use the front directional pad

Same on the home screen... you have a row of icons along the top for quick access to your previously used apps...since the tumb wheel only goes up and down to select things I am forced to use the directional pad to go sideways...now I havent read the manual yet so maybe there is a way to go sideways that I dont know about...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    word completion will take a little getting used too... typing txt messages it try's to guess at the words you use... if you use a word more often it will suggest it more often which is cool... but when I typed the word "guess" it suggests "guessing"..I didn't hit the right directional pad to take the word guessing instead of guess and sent the txt msg hoping it would ignore the "ing" since I didn't tell it I wanted it...nope

...will have to get used to typing periods I guessing

in all fairness there are options to control this behavior that I have not played with.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ..wow.. my site is getting a lot of hits from Microsoft
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    ..wow.. my site is getting a lot of hits from Microsoft

Except a legal letter shortly, I believe the multicolored flag is a registered trademark.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    damn lawyers

...you'd think they wouldnt care about little ol me
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

Ok, here is another lousy video (damn 700w ) of the new Motorola Q using dslreports.com/mspeed and test.orb.com...

... I also threw in a quick tip on how to quickly lock your keyboard

http://www.wmphones.com/files/q_023.zip

(note to self... do not try filming in the dark again)
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Same as the front directional pad...but it only works for going up and down...its so annoying when i want to go sideways..i have to use the front directional pad

Same on the home screen... you have a row of icons along the top for quick access to your previously used apps...since the tumb wheel only goes up and down to select things I am forced to use the directional pad to go sideways...now I havent read the manual yet so maybe there is a way to go sideways that I dont know about...

I read somewhere that there is two modes for web viewing, one requires you to go side to side and the other up and down.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I read somewhere that there is two modes for web viewing, one requires you to go side to side and the other up and down.

I think that means the natural view and the one column view in PIE.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Here are the view options in IE Mobile on the Q:

One Column
    Desktop
    Full Screen
    Show Pictures
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast