Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    It comes set to Default and Show Pictures selected.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    It comes set to Default and Show Pictures selected.
    What's the difference between "desktop" and "Default"?
    So if there is a One Column option I don't see why the wheel would be a problem..
    Gex,
    Is your Moto Q as good as Nokia E61?
    You can edit & print any office document, out of box.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Gex,
    Is your Moto Q as good as Nokia E61?
    Sorry dont know anything about the Nokia E61
    You can edit & print any office document, out of box.
    No...and No.....although I think there are 3rd party solutions for both.
    How is the phone quality/functionality? That is my primary issue with the 700w and why I am dumping it as soon as possible.
    My Rocketship - 2007 Mazdaspeed3
    263hp 280fpt 0-60 5.8sec
    Review here says no cut and paste? Seems odd...

The end quote is funny:
    "So, Bond, how did the new cell phone work out?"
    "Fine, Q. It has excellent aerodynamic properties."
    "I'm sorry?"
    "I tossed it at a Russian agent, stunning her. Then I took her Treo."

I have to say this thing looks pretty cool - if they work out the SW kinks I may have to get one when SPrint gets on board.
    Gex, i couldn't stand it so I went and purchased one (currently a 700w user, have done all the others). So far so good, i miss the robustness/feature set of the WM5 PPC edition, this is what could make it a deal-breaker for me. The optionality and customization that the Treo 700w offers is great in comparison, you can definately notice the stripped down feature set of the Smartphone edition.

Size: I cannot get over how small the thing is, the argument about it being wider than a Treo doesn't hold much water. What does is how it feels in hand, it's not as "comfy" but it is most definately lighter, a lot lighter. Height? Well, I suppose it's how you define it. I would define it as "what is felt" and I'd say that the antenna on the 700 takes less space than the (shorter) marginal height improvement of the Moto. It is most definately less bulky in pocket than the 700, one could not argue that. Hec, this thing actually could fit in a dress shirt pocket without a problem.

Battery: i will report back. i plan to run Goodlink on it.

Jog Wheel/5way: i've used blackberries before so no prob here. 5way is ok, i don't like the fact that the delete/backspace key is above the keypad, not intuitive.

Screen: nice, very sharp and bright. I haven't found how to increase/decrease the brightness and all there is available is a "large" or "normal" font-size selector. Can't seem to find a button to "shut-off" power to the screen although it shuts itself off. YOu can turn off the power but that requires re-starting the unit.

Stability: Treo 700's don't stand a chance against this thing when measuring memory/stability, at least the 700w. Say goodbye to "low on memory" errors.

Will continue the post as time permits.

Take care
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

Nice... Good to get a different perspective! I have found that a lot can be done to the Smartphone edition...just a different way of doing it.

You should check out my custom home screen I made over at qusers

You'll notice it comes with a few different options out of the box but I wanted a slightly different version...it was just a matter of creating an XML document to make custom home screen layouts... you can go even further if you know how to code and develop custom "plug-ins" to make the home screen look anyway you want it.

There are some amazing examples of what people have done on the 240x320 Smartphone's...I'm sure its just a matter of time before they start coming out with different home screens for the Q.

It also helps that all the apps I use have Smartphone edition versions available

...except for gsplayer...but I am using TCPMP now and it works well...except it doesn't have a sleep timer
    ^^ Excellent, i will take a peek at what you have done over there. Installing Goodlink was seemless and I can't get over how much more memory i have available to me with it running. or in other words, i can have good, internet, and the camera functioning with 100% stability. that is another huge selling point for this device. say goodbye to soft resets. by the way, my store sold over 30 devices just yesterday alone. nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    ....by the way, my store sold over 30 devices just yesterday alone. nuts!
    Haggar, are you listening here?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    for clarification, i am not affiliated with Verizon. I should have said "the store at which i purchased the device from...." or "my local store..."
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I currently am at a Verizon store checking out the Q. I am impressed. I wasn't expecting such a crisp screen! I'm using it to type this message and the keyboard is very nice. Very similar to the Treo's but larger with good feedback. I am very tempted to take it eventhough I am still under contract with Cingular.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Took it home! Man, my wife is going to kill me!
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Took it home! Man, my wife is going to kill me!
    Not if you get HER one. I gave my wife my Treo 650 and got another one. Now she gives me less sh** about my utter rapture about phones. Not a hall pass. Just LESS grief.
    Good for you, jlczl ^^, i hope you enjoy it.

Some things that I don't like about the device (in comparison to my T700w):

-fit in hand...even given it's marginal increase in width, it doesn't have that comfy feeling coming from the rounded edges of the Treo. the very little weight of it also gives me the feeling that it is "cheap" or "tinny" (even though it's entirely plastic) in that it isn't very substantial. i suppose i need to get over the fact that additional weight doesn't necessarily mean that the product is "cheap." there is no "chrome trim" which also mutes its appearance vs. that of the Treo.

-there are no "speed dial shortcuts" on the Today screen. you can assign a speed dial to a phone number but not a shortcut.

-battery meter: it is in bars and does not tell you the % remaining. the battery has been without a charge all day long easily outpacing my T700w (including Goodlink running in the background).

still no resets.

will continue to update as i come across new likes and dislikes

regards
    i also don't care for the blue background lit keyboard. would have preferred white but perhaps that is due to my familiarity with the Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    i also don't care for the blue background lit keyboard. would have preferred white but perhaps that is due to my familiarity with the Treos.
    It's a patened Motorla "glow"

I actually like it, although in totally dark situations it seems to be a little harder to see the keys than the Treo...
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    It's getting where certain old eyes can't see ANY of these devices in the dark (Treo, Q, 8125, etc.)...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    After several hours with the Q i find I really like it. Just a couple of things thugh.

1.) Keyboard. a.) The uppercase shift key seems realy weird on the right side of the keayboard. I'm used to it on the left. b.) Back arrow seems weird not being on the keyboard (it's a dedicated button to the right of the d-pad).

2.) Same squeak as the early Treo 650's on the battery cover (piece of post-it fixed it just like I fixed it on my 650.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast