Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How many here would be happy if started a Q discussion board that shared the TC user database and off-topic forums.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    How many here would be happy if started a Q discussion board that shared the TC user database and off-topic forums.
    I would not be unhappy. The double-negative to this isn't quite accurate...but I would not protest.

In other words...sure!
    marcus, unless you have personal experience with it and think it will be a big hit, I would recommend that you at least hold off until more user reviews roll in and we find out if it's as good as it seems to be. Plus, this is "Treocentral" so are you sure you want to be expanding your coverage? Do I sense some personal interest in this device marcus?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I thought this is and always has been a Handspring Visor/Treo forum?!? Are we moving towards forums with all types of phones? Doesn't Howardforums already have that?

I say let's keep it to Treo
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    marcus, unless you have personal experience with it and think it will be a big hit, I would recommend that you at least hold off until more user reviews roll in and we find out if it's as good as it seems to be. Plus, this is "Treocentral" so are you sure you want to be expanding your coverage? Do I sense some personal interest in this device marcus?
    I checked and TreoKillerCentral.com is available. (really!)
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Nah, i would say keep it treo centric....
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I checked and TreoKillerCentral.com is available. (really!)
    Not bad, how about create an entirely separate site for all the other handheld area?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    I think that in the long run Doom Looms on the Treo front (he said as someone who likes his Treo 650 a lot).

Palm will simply be one of many players in the game, and so far Palm has not demonstrated an ability to be fashion-forward in software or hardware. In other words, they behave like they did when they were the only player. And now they ain't.

Nokia can eat Palm for lunch because Nokia can MOVE. (E61). Motorola unfortunately couldn't hit the ground with an egg if you squeezed the chicken for them. (MPx 220, Q). HTC does better and better every time they churn out a product, and they're churning out lots of them. (Hermes).

And then there is Microsoft. Apparently they're so enamoured with the Windows interface that they insist on transporting it to unsuitable platforms (tiny screens specifically -- think their need for all sorts of dropdown menus). But they'll learn.

All of this is old hat at TC and reasonable minds differ. But for the owner of a Treo-centric business (i.e., Treocentral.com) it's got to be troublesome.

I like TC over MTDN. I like the community of people and the focus (well, except over the last several weeks when the 700p hysteria has made people lightheaded -- Exhibit A = the Threadcrapping thread)..

Hofo is huge. But it's a mess and they have that insane Intellitxt software that throws green hyperlinks throughout. The threads are unwieldy and it's impossible to get decent information sometimes. So even though they are the biggest I wouldn't say they are the best. There's room.

I would keep the "Treo-only" focus of Treocentral. I would start up companion sites for the other Smartphones. And I would think long term of aiming at a Hofo-like end product but carefully plan to not fall into the problems they face, problems created largely by scale.

I would also really work hard at attracting and keeping the right forum participants. Some of the people giving and taking a beating on the Threadcrapping thread are also the people who really help out technically. Sometimes they are rude. Sometimes they are really funny. Don't be afraid of the rough and tumble atmosphere. The worst offenders are on my ignore list. That takes care of most of the problem.

Marcus -- go for it. If you start it off as a subset of Treocentral, make sure it can easily be detached and spun off into its own existence -- to die if necessary or to live on as its own site.
    I think it would be brilliant. The Treo 700w forum seems to co-exists pretty peacefully, and adding another WM device will add nicely to the 'clash of the titans' feel which keeps this community so lively.

I say Go for it!

Surur
  10.    #10  
    To clearify - the Q site and the majority of its sub-forums would not be visible when browsing TreoCentral. The sites would simply share part of the discussion database.
    I'm all for a Q forum but why seperate it from Treo Central. There is no law that Treo Central can only have Treo's. We talk about other devices all the time in "Other Handhelds". So why not a small forum underneath "Other Handhelds"

Treo Central is about more then devices, it's about the camaraderie. If you don't do it, then someone else will, such as Qusers.com.
    why does the Q get one? not the 8125, etc etc?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Maybe the Q is going to generate a lot of traffic than 8125, etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    i dont know, the 8125 took off pretty well...oh well
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Is a forum that answers common questions about the Q called a FAQQ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Is a forum that answers common questions about the Q called a FAQQ??
    ...or QQ&A
    Didn't TreoCentral use to be VisorCentral? Things change. Visors weren't Palms, the were Handsprings. Then Treos came out and Visors went away. Then Palm bought Handspring.

Maybe we should start calling it Smartphone Central and really make it platform agnostic. It seems to be the trend anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    Didn't TreoCentral use to be VisorCentral? Things change. Visors weren't Palms, the were Handsprings. Then Treos came out and Visors went away. Then Palm bought Handspring.

Maybe we should start calling it Smartphone Central and really make it platform agnostic. It seems to be the trend anyway.
    Smartphone Central is already taken and remember someone said that the Treo phones are not real smartphone (was that Cingular marketing VP?).
    I think it would be a good idea for a Q subforum. As Viking said, we are a community (eccentric maybe) but a more knowledgeable group of geeks doesn't exist (I hang around other sites as well, and we rock). Perhaps the idea of subforums under "Other Handhelds" would be a good solution, and give us a good opportunity for cross-pollination.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I say yes. The Q looks cool, and I am interested in it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast