Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a member here for awhile. I don't post much because most of my questions get answered with a little research. I started with the treo 600, which I purchased here from a member, and loved it. I quickly upgraded to the 650 and have been very happy. I am not a "power user" by any means. The only 3rd party I have is ringo. I like making my own ringtones for my friends and family. All the apps that come with the treo are good enough for me. Now the 700p is coming out and I am looking to upgrade once again. However I am now considering the 6700.
    I do comercial plumbing for a living. Two of the general contractors I work for use the 6700. This is what sparked my interest. After asking many a question of them, I desided to turn to the one place I can trust, for the most part. After reading the many reviews and comparisons, I feel like I am making a good choice. I have had a chance to play around with the 6700 and it felt very durable. I loved the key board as well. I have somewhat big hands and it was a little more comfortable. What seems to be minor nags to some, probably won't bother me at all.
    I know this seems drug out but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who does post here. All the info and knowlegde that I have gained from you is priceless. Besides, If I don't like the phone I can always get the treo700p. If anyone has any insight on the switch, I would be happy to hear it. Thanks again.
    I think you're making a good choice personally. Unless the 700p drops in price, or just blows me away (neither seem likely,) I'll be making the same move.

But be prepared for the onslaught of replies from the Treo-ites who will tell you the 700p is going to cure AIDS and cancer...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Not AIDS and cancer, but the 700p is the cure for the 650's shortcomings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo

That's an expensive cure.
    Same old cure , which is not affective now, as virus has mutated.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    I just got my 650 so I will hold onto it for a while.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

i love my Treo 650

But i am now using a Qtek S200, i miss a keyboard but dang it man...PPC's are powerful mofos!!
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curbcheck
    I have been a member here for awhile. I don't post much because most of my questions get answered with a little research. I started with the treo 600, which I purchased here from a member, and loved it. I quickly upgraded to the 650 and have been very happy. I am not a "power user" by any means. The only 3rd party I have is ringo. I like making my own ringtones for my friends and family. All the apps that come with the treo are good enough for me. Now the 700p is coming out and I am looking to upgrade once again. However I am now considering the 6700...
    The *only* thing I tell everyone who looks at 6700 is -- if you plan to use it 1st as a phone and then as a really cool PDA really truly test out the phone functions.

Not just trying to dial...but think about looking up contacts to call and how to send/end calls. Take a look the the implementation of the phone software AND hardware.

I'm a technically savvy person...I've used and abused everything under the sun...and I can say without a doubt that the 700P is a far superior phone and contact manager than ANY WindowsMobile device.

The biggest hardware concern I had with my 6700 was that joystick button...it always seemed to get get clicked when it was in my case...and it made calls and/or answered calls without my okay! There are several software "solutions" out there to fix that problem but A) I didn't find they fixed the problem 100% and B) you need to be prepared to install those apps and understand how they work.

I absolutely hated the way Outlook and the phone dialer were implemented. I make and receive dozens of calls a day and it was always "click click click click click" to open outlook and search for a name to dial.

On the other hand...the 6700 is a MARVEL as a PDA. One feature I LOVED was being able to use GoToMyPC on the thing. I could log in to my desktop at work and pull up data that I didn't have on my phone. The only problem with this implementationw as the tiny, low res screen. My desktop at work runs at 1600x1200 -- so there was a LOT of scrolling going on to navigate the desktop from the phone.

The 6700 (and all WM5 devices) are great for multimedia and games and all the other mind-numbing things you'll do outside of work.

All in all...as I've said before...if you're looking for a great phone with PDA functionality -- the Treo is the best platform in my opinion. If you're looking for the best PDA and want some phone functionality the WindowsMobile (IE the 6700) is a great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    If it were a cure then people woul have to admit they were snookered by Palm. How many times do you give them $600 before you start to say...who is the fooll here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    The *only* thing I tell everyone who looks at 6700 is -- if you plan to use it 1st as a phone and then as a really cool PDA really truly test out the phone functions.

Not just trying to dial...but think about looking up contacts to call and how to send/end calls. Take a look the the implementation of the phone software AND hardware.

I'm a technically savvy person...I've used and abused everything under the sun...and I can say without a doubt that the 700P is a far superior phone and contact manager than ANY WindowsMobile device.

The biggest hardware concern I had with my 6700 was that joystick button...it always seemed to get get clicked when it was in my case...and it made calls and/or answered calls without my okay! There are several software "solutions" out there to fix that problem but A) I didn't find they fixed the problem 100% and B) you need to be prepared to install those apps and understand how they work.

I absolutely hated the way Outlook and the phone dialer were implemented. I make and receive dozens of calls a day and it was always "click click click click click" to open outlook and search for a name to dial.

On the other hand...the 6700 is a MARVEL as a PDA. One feature I LOVED was being able to use GoToMyPC on the thing. I could log in to my desktop at work and pull up data that I didn't have on my phone. The only problem with this implementationw as the tiny, low res screen. My desktop at work runs at 1600x1200 -- so there was a LOT of scrolling going on to navigate the desktop from the phone.

The 6700 (and all WM5 devices) are great for multimedia and games and all the other mind-numbing things you'll do outside of work.

All in all...as I've said before...if you're looking for a great phone with PDA functionality -- the Treo is the best platform in my opinion. If you're looking for the best PDA and want some phone functionality the WindowsMobile (IE the 6700) is a great choice.
    OBVIOUSLY someone never tried the voice command software which makes it only one button push to dial a number. Any number whether in a contact or not. I have never had the joystick issue you speak of when in the case. Were you using the case that came with it or an aftermarket one?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    OBVIOUSLY someone never tried the voice command software which makes it only one button push to dial a number. Any number whether in a contact or not. I have never had the joystick issue you speak of when in the case. Were you using the case that came with it or an aftermarket one?
    I have used Voice Command. It was a great piece of software...but totally impractical for me. I'm frequently in very LOUD locations (coffee shops, restaurants, the car, home with 3 kids 2 dogs and a noisey cat) and Voice Command -- as tested -- worked well in low to mid-noise environments...but at least 50% of the time I was in situations where it was just too noisey.

I know I'm not alone with the joystick issue. There are several threads here and many other places that dealt with it. The default action for pushing in the joystick is to be a "click" on the screen. When the phone application is loaded the default button that is highlighted is "dial". So if you've already made a call with your phone...that number is in "memory" and pushing the dial button re-dials it. If you'd like to see the $18.00 in phone calls that my 6700 made in the first 3 days I owned it, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the bill...

It's been MONTHS now, so I honestly can't remember all of the details...but I do know there were some hacks written that would "blank" the screen and require specific keyclicks to "unlock" the screen/keypad which resolved most the problems. Except that when incoming calls came in there was some problem with the way it could still answer without hitting the keystrokes.

They may have solved the hardware issues by now (I sure hope so)...but the fact remains that Outlook/Dialer implementation in WM5 sucks rocks (I suspect you agree because you haven't disagreed with me...you've offered alternative ways of doing it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I think you're making a good choice personally. Unless the 700p drops in price, or just blows me away (neither seem likely,) I'll be making the same move.

But be prepared for the onslaught of replies from the Treo-ites who will tell you the 700p is going to cure AIDS and cancer...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    No, I say it's more like giving aspirin to a person dying from ebola - you just hope it cuts some of the pain.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I just never really have to use the dialer unless I am in a VM tree. The buttons could be bigger but that is all I can complain about the dial pad screen. I frankly have found this so much more useful then the POS I am sure I would feel crippled and bored to go back to POS. And I did not understand why wifi was so great (look up my past comments about how useless it would have been) but it is a fantastic feature. The bluetooth actually works and works well. People have no idea I am on bluetooth when I speak with them. Lastly I have not had the same issues with voice command you had in high traffic areas and I spend a great deal of tie in my car, in airports, in offices and hotel lobbies and retaurants and have had hardly a glitch.
    I have used Voice Command. It was a great piece of software...but totally impractical for me. I'm frequently in very LOUD locations (coffee shops, restaurants, the car, home with 3 kids 2 dogs and a noisey cat) and Voice Command -- as tested -- worked well in low to mid-noise environments...but at least 50% of the time I was in situations where it was just too noisey...
    Love the new avatar - Haggar, the penitent man.

Guess I've not had too much background noise problems - just a little geek guilt talking TO my phone, not just on it.
    peope look at you oddly don't they, and also when you talk to the phone...lol
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    That's the OTHER problem I had with voice command. I was feeling a bit like Wesley Crusher...
    That's the OTHER problem I had with voice command. I was feeling a bit like Wesley Crusher...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gharrod
    LMAO - yes, BUT, if they stop to ask, they are blown away that you can actually run the thing without ANY keyboard. Now, if only they would add Dragon Dictate...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    LMAO - yes, BUT, if they stop to ask, they are blown away that you can actually run the thing without ANY keyboard. Now, if only they would add Dragon Dictate...
    Could it be? Could all of those folks in mental institutions around the world actually be using their WM5 devices and we're just mistaking them for psychotics?

Maybe that guy in the corner actually is talking to Jerry Lewis?
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    i love my Treo 650

But i am now using a Qtek S200, i miss a keyboard but dang it man...PPC's are powerful mofos!!
    How does it compare size wise to the Wizard line?
    If it were a cure then people woul have to admit they were snookered by Palm. How many times do you give them $600 before you start to say...who is the fooll here?
    700p is clearly the 650 with updated specs. Anyone can see that. That's why I have a wait and see attitude toward it. No one has yet mentioned what the benefit is of 5.4.9 Garnet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast